Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I highly recommend reading their first three months of polling results

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pulsedragon posted:

Well. I mean I guess I didn't need another reason to want to avoid the new old world of darkness but there we go.

https://twitter.com/machineiv/status/948119829931683840

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Has Mark Dot Rein Hagen always been this stupid or is this a more recent development?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/HoldenShearer/status/947962616969908231

So this is quite a claim

MachineIV
Feb 28, 2017

It is. I haven't actually read the damned thing. I wrote... something in it. I can't even remember what, to be honest. But I haven't gotten a comp copy, so I couldn't tell you what he's talking about.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd assume it was just some of the more goofy/edgy/ridiculous poo poo that tends to fall into WtA books. Often meant as a vague criticism of the thing in question, but it's often hard to tell because of the nature of the game.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I kind of get what MRH is trying to say but ugh that's some ivory tower thinking.

Maybe the optics of letting Nazis beat you up plays better for an audience, but maybe we're all better off in a society where if you heil poo poo you get hit.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

moths posted:

I kind of get what MRH is trying to say but ugh that's some ivory tower thinking.

Maybe the optics of letting Nazis beat you up plays better for an audience, but maybe we're all better off in a society where if you heil poo poo you get hit.

Letting some neo-nazi beat your rear end in the hopes of drumming-up sympathy and a call-to-action is never going to be covered the way you want by the media.

I mean, sure, some pundit is going to wring their hands over you losing an eye or worse, but the most effort they're going to muster is to "call the cops", which is not the greatest solution, and that same pundit is still going to reject the idea of punching back.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pulsedragon posted:

Well. I mean I guess I didn't need another reason to want to avoid the new old world of darkness but there we go.

this man's brain is as smooth as his head

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

MachineIV posted:

It is. I haven't actually read the damned thing. I wrote... something in it. I can't even remember what, to be honest. But I haven't gotten a comp copy, so I couldn't tell you what he's talking about.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd assume it was just some of the more goofy/edgy/ridiculous poo poo that tends to fall into WtA books. Often meant as a vague criticism of the thing in question, but it's often hard to tell because of the nature of the game.

In the thread he mentions:

https://twitter.com/HoldenShearer/status/948001965908353024

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Considering the (reportedly) clumsy and weird ways this clashes with both prior work and the other stuff in the same book, as well as the apparent pressure by authors and developers to move the player-facing parts of the game towards true-left instead of fumbling superficial 90's-left, this smells a lot like nuWW's doing, and Holden's diverting his salt toward the people he has more of a personal grudge with. Or at least there's every indication he has no reason to assume Onyx Path did it over nuWW. OPP has plenty of reason to preemptively ban him (or me!) without some insidious cover-up to let Alex Jones ghost write parts of their books.

moths posted:

I mean, non-violence is a laudable principle for some people to follow, but this is exactly the kind of thing where you drag out that MLK quote about not condemning rioters because you can't unequivocally say it's unjustified. Acting like the Black Panthers et al were just some trouble-making sideline radicals and it was all MLK (who got shot to death) gently taking white people by the hand and infusing them with the gentleness of anti-racist Jesus is just what history books say so that white people don't feel too bad about their legacy. Ghandi's protests had an implicit threat of a continuation of violent rebellions that had already been happening for a literal century.

I seem to recall MRH mentioning being in an actual warzone to do relief work in Eastern Europe or Asia. I wonder how much he'd be tutting over resistance movements in such situations, and what he thinks the difference is when self-avowed Nazis and Nazi-alikes literally march through a town and kill a lady?

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jan 2, 2018

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm honestly relieved that he's just kind of a naive enabler instead of a nazi, given this industry. His heart's in the right place, even if his perspective isn't.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, that stuff got added but pretty clearly by White Wolf, considering the poo poo they’ve been up to, and not by Rose Bailey or Rich Thomas, or... I don’t know who else is an actual OP employee these days. Neall?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

That Old Tree posted:

I seem to recall MRH mentioning being in an actual warzone to do relief work in Eastern Europe or Asia. I wonder how much he'd be tutting over resistance movements in such situations, and what he thinks the difference is when self-avowed Nazis and Nazi-alikes literally march through a town and kill a lady?

Is that what he's referencing in the second image when he said he was "at both" Serbia and Ukraine? Because if so, then apparently he only remembers peaceful protests there. :v:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Actually, now I think about it...that W20 book also includes a transphobic thing where apparently werewolves just can't get gender reassignment surgery and can never have anything but their birth genitals.

Oh yeah, definitely put in by Onyx Path and not White Wolf. Onyx Path, comma, whose second in command is a trans woman who openly outed herself to the entire fanbase.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Mors Rattus posted:

Actually, now I think about it...that W20 book also includes a transphobic thing where apparently werewolves just can't get gender reassignment surgery and can never have anything but their birth genitals.

If you glance at the OPP forum thread about this poo poo, apparently there's a way to make bodily changes permanent, e.g., piercings and tattoos and what-not. But you can't be trans. And one poster speculated that the reasoning is retaining the effects of major surgery would be greater than difficulty 10 and therefore impossible.

I mean, sure, werewolves can perform scarification rituals that stick. Some of them even get cyborg poo poo stuck in them. But gender reassignment surgery? Ppppfffft, how ridiculous.

And, of course, it's not incumbent upon the authors to write it that way because ~that's just the way the setting is~.

gently caress.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So what is the deal with this Werewolf book? I keep seeing people talking about it and on Drivethru it's billed as a book on packs and breed perspectives. Does it actually fulfill any of that in a meaningful way or is it just Infowars and the neo-fascist werewolf Swede-Drac was talking up in the past?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Kai Tave posted:

Has Mark Dot Rein Hagen always been this stupid or is this a more recent development?

Well, I wouldn't make that sort of judgement about the man.

His recent game system work, on the other hand, has been a real tire fire.

That Old Tree posted:

And, of course, it's not incumbent upon the authors to write it that way because ~that's just the way the setting is~.

gently caress.

While this is lovely and unfortunate, Werewolf: the Apocalypse has always been a regressive mess. And while I'm certain you can paper over that fact to an extent, it's always been just the worst of the White Wolf games in that regard. And that's saying something with Changeling: the Dreaming in the room.

So I guess they're just keeping the tradition alive. :rolleyes:

Serf
May 5, 2011

people are really concerned about saying "no you can't do that" in a game about people who change into werewolves because of spirits or something. their agenda is just so loving transparent in that regard. its pathetic

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Wouldn't it be easier to transition since you basically assume your spirit's form? Guy turns into a wolf, wolf turns back into a sexy lady, job's done.

I also distinctly remember an amputee werewolf.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

What is this about MTG tournament judges being kiddy fiddlers and wotc covering them up because I just heard about it from a guy i know

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Nuns with Guns posted:

Is that what he's referencing in the second image when he said he was "at both" Serbia and Ukraine? Because if so, then apparently he only remembers peaceful protests there. :v:

The war in Donbass, famous non-violent conflict. :shepicide:

Rein-splotch-Hagen can crawl right the gently caress back into whatever hole of obscure irrelevancy he crawled out of for some reason.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

moths posted:

Wouldn't it be easier to transition since you basically assume your spirit's form? Guy turns into a wolf, wolf turns back into a sexy lady, job's done.

I also distinctly remember an amputee werewolf.

fun fact: nWolf just lets you take a cheap, easy Gift that lets you alter your gender presentation to whatever you like at will.

Because shapeshifters.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Mors Rattus posted:

fun fact: nWolf just lets you take a cheap, easy Gift that lets you alter your gender presentation to whatever you like at will.

Because shapeshifters.

Yeah, the idea that opp is responsible for this and not nuWolf is absurd. Since exhibit A is Rose.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Serf posted:

people are really concerned about saying "no you can't do that" in a game about people who change into werewolves because of spirits or something. their agenda is just so loving transparent in that regard. its pathetic

People want representation and to be able to play what they are in real life in a game loosely set in a mirror of the real world. You can use the word "agenda" to try and make that somehow sound sinister or manipulative, but it really isn't. Saying "No, they can't" is an arbitrary restriction created by the authors, which is particularly ironic given it's a game about changing forms.

Not a hard concept. Well. Maybe it's hard for you.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

People want representation and to be able to play what they are in real life in a game loosely set in a mirror of the real world. You can use the word "agenda" to try and make that somehow sound sinister or manipulative, but it really isn't. Saying "No, they can't" is an arbitrary restriction created by the authors, which is particularly ironic given it's a game about changing forms.

i'm talking about the agenda of the pieces of poo poo who are saying "no you can't"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Plutonis posted:

What is this about MTG tournament judges being kiddy fiddlers and wotc covering them up because I just heard about it from a guy i know

Iirc the guy got banned and WotC didn't make a big deal of announcing it or why he got banned bc they rarely do that anymore

They literally don't publish DCI ban or suspension reasons anymore and the only time we know is when eotc is forced into doing it by public outcry

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Plutonis posted:

So this happened and the guy’s out. However, the reason you’re hearing about it from the community is because of the MTGHQ Jeremy (harassing female cosplayers and asking his goons to do so, other MRA bullshit and tactics) guy who keeps shitposting and implying he got banned for memes while kiddy fiddlers can be judges.

I agree that WOTC should require background checks for judges due to their proximity to children the same way they do in Pokémon TCG.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Serf posted:

i'm talking about the agenda of the pieces of poo poo who are saying "no you can't"

Oh, whoops, my mistake. Sorry about that.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Space Marines are for BOYS ONLY. Reeeee girls get out!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

I agree that WOTC should require background checks for judges due to their proximity to children the same way they do in Pokémon TCG.

That should be pretty obvious yes

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

Oh is that so. Then how about the Brothers of Battle then huh....

Serf
May 5, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Oh, whoops, my mistake. Sorry about that.

rereading it, my post is ambiguously worded, that's my bad

to be more clear, this obsession that some nerds have with saying "no, you can't be the person you want to be" in worlds of magic, fantasy or superscience is obviously based in their own real-world prejudices. like, you can turn into a werewolf but you can't change your gender because nature runs on :biotruths: bullshit? like, those folks can gently caress off.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Plutonis posted:

That should be pretty obvious yes

The reason that was included is because of the argument MTGHQ is making. It’s a deflection, make no mistake about the reason it’s a thing

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Chill la Chill posted:

The people you're parodying there use REEEE to imply "autistic screeching."

That's easy to lose the thread of because "autistic screeching" isn't an actual thing, and they're blatantly projecting their own awful and irritating behavior on others, as usual. But still probably a thing to avoid.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

REEEEE is the noise vampires make anyway.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Comrade Gorbash posted:

The people you're parodying there use REEEE to imply "autistic screeching."

That's easy to lose the thread of because "autistic screeching" isn't an actual thing, and they're blatantly projecting their own awful and irritating behavior on others, as usual. But still probably a thing to avoid.

Right. I know it’s the sound the frogs make and unfortunately the Chill Pepe :feelsgood: peeing with your pants down was coopted by unsavory people. I’ve used it to parody those people because as you said autistic screeching isn’t real but I suppose avoiding it is better here.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
It's like ironic racism. It's not obvious to others whether you're making fun of the people who make jokes about autistic people, or if you're one of those people yourself. It ultimately is no different than if you were.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

How would they even make a power armor bikini? It just wouldn't make sense.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's ok for the fictional fascist space patriarchy to have regressive hiring practices. They aren't good people we should be emulating .

It's also just as ok for the Daughters of Cacophony not to make boy vampires!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Bar Crow posted:

How would they even make a power armor bikini? It just wouldn't make sense.

Obviously you've never seen the Emperor's Custodes and are out of touch with the current lore.

• Locked thread