Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

You're such a Jean-Paul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You're thinking about how much you want to Jean-Paul 2B, aren't you?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Baka-nin posted:

I've completed ending A again and am plodding along through B, I noticed the Machine silhouette in the Top hat looked familiar and so is its indifference to an admirer. Then I noticed that the theme park boss is called Simone. I'm guessing she's an allusion to Simone de Beuavoir another Existentialist philosopher and associate of Jean-Paul Sartre

Yes. Almost all of the major machine bosses/characters are allusions to philosophers, usually with an ironic twist or a wink to the audience. Simone is obsessed with beauty and the love of a man; Marx and Engels are literally made of the means of production; Kierkegaard leads a cult where everyone thinks and believes in the same thing; Hegel is a dialectical fight featuring the synthesis of two different playstyles; and so on.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Vermain posted:

Hegel is a dialectical fight featuring the synthesis of two different playstyles; and so on.

This is the nicest way anyone has probably talked about that boss

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I need to post about Automata because it's been in my thoughts ever since I started the game. Just finished Route A.

-Rewarding players for taking HUD elements is clever and good design.

I didnt realize you can switch weapons mid combo until now. Its fun

Quests are simple enough not to feel obscure, but still charming / intriguing / holy poo poo what no thats messed up

My favorite boss was the Amusement Park one, rest of them werent as fun so far. It was exciting with many phases.

I wanna get better on higher difficulties.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Honestly the most memorable parts of this game a month removed are Father Servo and how big of a shithead Jean Paul is.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Hi Nier thread. I bounced off this game last Spring but seeing it pop up on a bunch of "game of the year" lists made me give it another try. So far I've gotten ending A and I'm about 3 hours into the next play-through.

I have to be honest: I am not enjoying myself. I hear the game takes a turn maybe on the 3rd play-through but at this point I don't know if I care enough to get there. Should I struggle onward?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
theyre chapters

put the combat on easy and skip sidequests (for now) if you're not enjoying those aspects, mainlining the basic narrative bits with auto chips actually goes pretty quick

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'll say that if you made it that far you should probably push through B, it's not that long. However, if even the writing isn't doing it for you, maybe it's just not your game. The big secret about Automata is that it's an ARPG, not the usual character action game Platinum puts out. A lot of people that played the original had the right expectations for that, but I feel a lot of "newcomers" were attracted by the promise of Bayonetta 3 but a goth butt model instead wait that's just Bayo 3 anyway.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
yeah, this game feels more like nier with much improved combat rather than a platinum action game with more story/rpg elements; liking other yoko taro games is a much better barometer of whether you'll enjoy it than liking other platinum games

also, it's loving amazing, as someone who just got ending E this week

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

RoadCrewWorker posted:

theyre chapters

put the combat on easy and skip sidequests (for now) if you're not enjoying those aspects, mainlining the basic narrative bits with auto chips actually goes pretty quick

Okay, follow up question. If mainlining the story is the thing to do here would you still recommend that if I haven't found the story interesting up to this point? I'm not trying to come in here and talk mess about a game lots of people clearly like. I'm just trying to figure out if I'm actually going to enjoy whatever is hiding in this game I don't seem to like.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The third chapter has a lot of the better story beats and contains the three last big endings. It's why I recommend you push through B since I think it took me about 7, 8h to play through. Some other people in the thread thought everything past B was good enough to redeem the "boring" A/B route in their eyes.

edit: although it would've been a lot more helpful if you told us WHY you're not liking the game. It's fine, we won't judge you too much.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
That's impossible for me to say because i don't know what you don't like or expected about it, especially if you've only heard various GOTY list praise. There's significant stuff you haven't seen and most people agree the game picks up in C and sticks a landing worth sticking around for.

Will you think so if you're completely unable to get invested into anything in the game? No way for me to tell or promise.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 7, 2018

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
If there are parts you enjoyed or a handful of sidequests that you found interesting, you should keep going. If you aren't feeling it at all, you should probably just stop. Automata isn't for everyone.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
If you've only seen ending A you've seen less than half of the story and (for me, personally) you've seen basically none of the plot points I thought were the strongest parts of the game. On the other hand, you're deep enough in that you're probably set to go all the way to ending E (arguably the strongest part of the game period)

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

This article on Giant Bomb is what got me to try the game one more time.

quote:

I finally went back and finished Route A. By this point, I had heard a few sentences about the state of the world, and hearing that some of the game's setup with a bit of misdirection made me more interested in seeing it through. I immediately started on Route B, which is a replay of Route A but from your sidekick's perspective. Aside from the moments where the two characters separated, this was largely the same thing again. This was both maddening and weirdly enthralling. The audacity! That was when I knew I'd see the whole thing through, if only to see what the rest of this thing has to offer.

That coupled with some rumors about Undertale style 4th wall breaking got me to give it another go. But at this point unless a completely different game jumps out on Route C I don't think I'm going to like it.

Again, I don't mean to beat up on a well liked game. But so far the story has felt like unsubtle anime melodrama that's gotten more than a few eye rolls out of me. As for the combat it's weirdly easy between the dodge and all the self healing chips you find. The only thing in the game that ever killed me was a piston in the basement of the factory that I absentmindedly stood under for too long.

The music has been nice though.

Anyway, thank you for the replies. I was hoping that maybe I just needed a little more bait on the hook but now I'm feeling like that probably won't do it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm gonna stick with "start route C". If you're still not feeling it, I'd say drop it - hell, I'd have said that earlier but now you're close enough to C you might as well see it through.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

route c is the make or break of the story, yea. I realize that doesn't sound any different from people saying ff13 really opened up after 20 hours but still

tho if your complaint is "anime melodrama" then I really don't think things will get better for you (also think that's a silly thing to say but w/e)

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Dias posted:

I'm gonna stick with "start route C". If you're still not feeling it, I'd say drop it - hell, I'd have said that earlier but now you're close enough to C you might as well see it through.

Maybe after a small break I'll try to muscle through to route C. If it ends up knocking my socks off I promise to come back and give a book report.

Manatee Cannon posted:

tho if your complaint is "anime melodrama" then I really don't think things will get better for you (also think that's a silly thing to say but w/e)

Well, specifically stuff like the game repetatively hammering on the same unsubtle themes as though I didn't hear it the first dozen times.

2b: It looks like this machine wanted revenge for it's fallen comrades.
9s (incredulously): Revenge? Machines aren't capable of emotions like revenge! Now let's go back and hang out in that village full of friendly emotional robots some more.

And then the camera swings down to show us 2b's panties again because :japan:.

Edit: Actually, serious question. Is there a way to make her put some drat pants on at this point in the game? The gratuitous pantie shots really are making it hard to take some of the cutscenes seriously.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 7, 2018

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

you get pants eventually

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I don’t believe there are any forced ‘panty shots’ in the game. I could be mistaken, or we may have different definitions of that term.

For what it’s worth, the unsubtle comments do have a payoff. It isn’t world-shattering writing, but the story pulls some interesting turns in the final stretch.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
The camera never goes up 2Bs skirt unless you put it there. (Or if you climb a big enough ladder.)

And the sidequests exist in this kinda weird place where they're written as if you did them at the absolute earliest possible moment, so character development/plot advancement disappears and 9S is back to "oh machines just make random noises it doesn't mean anything"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

anime melodrama is a super dismissive thing to say and that's my problem with it

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Know Such Peace posted:

I don’t believe there are any forced ‘panty shots’ in the game. I could be mistaken, or we may have different definitions of that term.

ZiegeDame posted:

The camera never goes up 2Bs skirt unless you put it there. (Or if you climb a big enough ladder.)

It sure does drift suspiciously low when you're running about the open world. And there was one dramatic scene after a big boss fight that I couldn't help but laugh at because she stood up from kneeling and the camera stayed right where it was putting her crotch and torn skirt dead center. It's not a big deal, it's just funny and kinda makes it hard to take the game seriously sometimes.

Manatee Cannon posted:

anime melodrama is a super dismissive thing to say and that's my problem with it

Sorry, as someone who watched too much anime in college it's just a certain "tone" I don't have a more constructive word for.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
If it helps, the twink boys are almost entirely absent in Route C. They were my least favorite part of the game, and I can see how their presence might give the appearance of 'anime melodrama' to the plot.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm some (maybe most?) of the way through "episode" C, and I kind of feel disappointed in the story myself, for somewhat similar reasons. The worldbuilding about machines cargo-culting human stuff and experiencing emotions(which the characters deny increasingly frantically because if that were true it would be bad to smash them up as they plead for mercy) is so heavy that the mystery novel reader in me expects it to be a red herring. "Episode" B didn't really add anything to the story, with the exception of the twist at the end-everyone and their dog probably guessed that there are no more humans, but I was actually kind of shocked by the reveal that there were never any humans. C started off fantastic, and is only dragging now because I'm insisting on doing side quests like a good boy scout, so I'm optimistic, but it feels like this is the kind of story that is better in retrospect. Got to give it props for being a loving weird game that by all accounts managed to sell pretty well, though.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I finished Route A thinking a bit like McCracAttack. The first few hours of Route B were so baffling that I stopped playing and youtubed every ending just to see what the hell. I hate spoilers, so that decision meant I was done with the game at that point, but what I saw was impressive enough that I went back... and played all the way to the end, sidequests and all. I'm glad I did. This game is flawed to be sure, but looking back, as a whole, it's something special, which is not a word I'd usually (or ever) associate with a video game.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Part of the appeal of the games story is what happens to get the E ending as it speaks to a primordial part of almost every gamer.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

2house2fly posted:

The worldbuilding about machines cargo-culting human stuff and experiencing emotions(which the characters deny increasingly frantically because if that were true it would be bad to smash them up as they plead for mercy) is so heavy that the mystery novel reader in me expects it to be a red herring.

Heh, I had that exact same thought. Between the early story not really living up to the game's reputation and the rumor about getting the rug pulled out from under you at some point I thought it might all be intentional somehow.

Actually, I wonder if Nier's glowing reputation might be working against it at this point. It seems like one of those, "It's good but I can't tell you why." games that are hard to talk about without spoilers. So folks just hear all this vague positive buzz and come to it late with some pretty big expectations. Maybe that's where I'm at. We'll see.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

route a/b are legitimately too soon to make up your mind on the story. if that's too much of an investment for you to see through, I understand but that's the way it is

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Manatee Cannon posted:

route a/b are legitimately too soon to make up your mind on the story. if that's too much of an investment for you to see through, I understand but that's the way it is

I'unno, if the tone bothers you enough that you find playing through the game a chore, it's probably not your thing IMHO. I don't wanna push ~15h of videogame on people that are just bored by it. A has plenty of interesting moments, in my opinion, if you were completely unmoved by everything you might as well go do something else.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've seen a ton of people talk about how they didn't like the game until route c, at which point they completely turned around on it

yea that's a big investment and I'm not telling him to play it if he doesn't like it, but that's seriously the way it is with this game. the game's not front loaded, that's for sure

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Most of the pacing problems would have been fixed if the developers had highlighted the 'important' side-quests. There are only a handful that have good payoffs. Way too many of them are fetch quests with mediocre payoffs. Players understandably get bored during A/B and end up missing out on interesting details. The game does a good job at discouraging people from finishing it.

I totally agree with the story being better in retrospect.

McCracAttack posted:

Actually, I wonder if Nier's glowing reputation might be working against it at this point. It seems like one of those, "It's good but I can't tell you why." games that are hard to talk about without spoilers. So folks just hear all this vague positive buzz and come to it late with some pretty big expectations. Maybe that's where I'm at. We'll see.
This is exactly right. I was bored for long stretches of Undertale in part due to its glowing reputation, but everything clicked for me by the end. There is no guarantee that you'll enjoy what happens in Automata, but I understand why someone would compare Automata to Undertale. The hype cycle really hurts the experience of this game, for reasons I can't go into without also going into spoilers.

You probably should just do something else if you feel like the game isn't for you

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

McCracAttack posted:

It sure does drift suspiciously low when you're running about the open world. And there was one dramatic scene after a big boss fight that I couldn't help but laugh at because she stood up from kneeling and the camera stayed right where it was putting her crotch and torn skirt dead center. It's not a big deal, it's just funny and kinda makes it hard to take the game seriously sometimes.

You can turn this off in the settings. It's under Camera and is labeled as something like "vertical auto adjust." I don't know why it's on by default but it bothered the hell out of me until I found it, I like having the camera up much higher than the game likes it to be.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'll come out and say it explicitly, if it helps: Act C is entirely new content unlike B was to A.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

melodicwaffle posted:

You can turn this off in the settings. It's under Camera and is labeled as something like "vertical auto adjust." I don't know why it's on by default but it bothered the hell out of me until I found it, I like having the camera up much higher than the game likes it to be.

Considering how much people talk about 2Butt I had to have changed camera tilt at the start of my playthrough because other than tall ladders it just felt like MGR but maybe further away.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I don't have much opinion on the butt (i read an interesting essay about how the sexualised character designs reflect the intoxication and exhilaration of violence which is intertwined with sex in the psyche, but of course I also read an interview with yoko taro where he said he asked them to make the butt sexy because he likes sexy butts) but I do find it interesting that it comes up relatively rarely. I mean people talk about it but not nearly to the extent that they talk about, say, the bikini sniper in Metal Gear Solid V, and it doesn't dominate people's opinion of the game. You've got people who are very concerned with social justice and feminism calling this game, where there's an achievement for trying to look at the butt cheeks, the game of the year. It must have some pretty distinctive story content to get that kind of response from that kind of crowd! That's weirdly one of the things that drew me to the game.

flatluigi posted:

I'll come out and say it explicitly, if it helps: Act C is entirely new content unlike B was to A.

Also the beginning is severely good, like on its own the first half hour or so of C almost felt worth two playthroughs of just getting to know the characters and setting

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
For me at least, part of it is probably that I've been desensitized to that sort of thing, and saying "well other that x, the game is good". The other is that the game doesn't really focus on 2B's design much at all, she's just a woman in a black dress with cool moves. Stuff like the achievement feel like an afterthought than a focus of the character.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

2house2fly posted:

I don't have much opinion on the butt (i read an interesting essay about how the sexualised character designs reflect the intoxication and exhilaration of violence which is intertwined with sex in the psyche, but of course I also read an interview with yoko taro where he said he asked them to make the butt sexy because he likes sexy butts) but I do find it interesting that it comes up relatively rarely. I mean people talk about it but not nearly to the extent that they talk about, say, the bikini sniper in Metal Gear Solid V, and it doesn't dominate people's opinion of the game. You've got people who are very concerned with social justice and feminism calling this game, where there's an achievement for trying to look at the butt cheeks, the game of the year. It must have some pretty distinctive story content to get that kind of response from that kind of crowd! That's weirdly one of the things that drew me to the game.

Also the beginning is severely good, like on its own the first half hour or so of C almost felt worth two playthroughs of just getting to know the characters and setting

Pretty sure that essay in question was written by me. And I love Taro Yoko's cheeky (no pun intended) response, and while 2Bs design probably appeals to him in that way, I think it's important to keep his self-deprecating sense of humor in mind. I mean, he's humble to a fault, always insists that his stories are meaningless trash anyway, and will do anything to downplay them.
And yeah, it's interesting that Nier didn't really draw any ire from socially conscious video game critics, probably because it clearly served a purpose beyond mere titillation. Oftentimes thay poo poo is distracting and goes against the ideas present in the narrative or setting. Automata is one of the few examples where I feel the game would be slightly lessened if YoRHa wasn't sexualized to some extent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Momomo posted:

For me at least, part of it is probably that I've been desensitized to that sort of thing, and saying "well other that x, the game is good". The other is that the game doesn't really focus on 2B's design much at all, she's just a woman in a black dress with cool moves. Stuff like the achievement feel like an afterthought than a focus of the character.

This is mostly how I feel about that too. I don't think the game sexualizes her past the initial design and the one blatant instance of "pantyshot" (because it's a leotard) is also the one fabled instance of Sexual Symbolism of this game. Well, not the only one, but one of the few ones regarding 2B. I'm not even all that desensitized to this poo poo, which is why I don't think it's bad. I cringed watching the new Soul Calibur trailer and I think Quiet is such a dumb concept.