Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

What's up guys, I recently got back into this and am currently a 28 HE Bard on Agnarr. I have a quick question: I haven't played since Velious and it turns out I need someone to explain to me as if I were a simple child why most of my armor is not giving me benefits/AC despite being equippable. Several pieces have yellow backgrounds/red names and near as I can tell give no benefits when equipped, and it's mostly just small bronze/small ringmail. WTF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
The name is in red because you can't equip it. You're a half-elf - half-elf isn't on the race list for that item. Half-elves also don't wear small-sized items if I remember correctly, but again, just check the race list.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

xZAOx posted:

The name is in red because you can't equip it. You're a half-elf - half-elf isn't on the race list for that item. Half-elves also don't wear small-sized items if I remember correctly, but again, just check the race list.

HEF = Half Elf
HFL = Halfling

Haha welp :v:

It's weird that I can even equip the gear then, it's all that poo poo that I'm currently wearing...

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
If the item text is in red, its not usable by you.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Items that show up yellow are equipped but don't actually give you stats. Stuff that you don't meet the level requirement for, etc.

It's kind of dumb because like most things in EQ it's poorly documented but the only reason I can think they did it is if you de-leveled while wearing something with a level requirement.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Is it possible to have characters on 2 different servers simultaneously? Or must all your characters be on the same server on the same account?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Rasczak posted:

What's up guys, I recently got back into this and am currently a 28 HE Bard on Agnarr. I have a quick question: I haven't played since Velious and it turns out I need someone to explain to me as if I were a simple child why most of my armor is not giving me benefits/AC despite being equippable. Several pieces have yellow backgrounds/red names and near as I can tell give no benefits when equipped, and it's mostly just small bronze/small ringmail. WTF?

looks like your question was answered already but I just leveled a half elf bard on Agnarr and have some old stuff you can wear for real and get precious numbers from

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Dennis McClaren posted:

Is it possible to have characters on 2 different servers simultaneously? Or must all your characters be on the same server on the same account?

If you mean logged in, no with two very, very, very complicated exceptions.

If you mean have two characters but they're on different servers but not logged in at the same time, yes. You can have up to 8 characters per server without paying for extra slots, and with extra slots even more!

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Solarin posted:

looks like your question was answered already but I just leveled a half elf bard on Agnarr and have some old stuff you can wear for real and get precious numbers from

That'd be rad, I was just looking around for some crap banded gear to replace the stuff I can't use. I'd really appreciate it!

E: The name is Rokun, the resolution isn't too great in that pic

Rasczak fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 1, 2018

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
I play on agnarr, will monks ever be outclassed in dps'd? I know rangers get super bow skills in luclin/pop, but is it more than monks?

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

FranktheBank posted:

I play on agnarr, will monks ever be outclassed in dps'd? I know rangers get super bow skills in luclin/pop, but is it more than monks?

Hoping Akitosh beats Dorn?

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007

Steampunk Hitler posted:

Hoping Akitosh beats Dorn?

lol deciding what box to gear up, but #fuckdorn - and where have you been?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

FranktheBank posted:

Velious, wizards are king overall. A few ntov mobs they are average on.

Luclin, wizards are king on short to medium fights. Rangers are king on long fights such as the blobs.

PoP, melee start to shine more and once everyone is best in slot or close, dps split isn’t that bad.

GoD and beyond, casters become dumpster tier and totally pointless on raids. Monks and zerkers are king by a huuuge amount. Rogues are next on dps parses but are a good 20-25% lower.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

speaking of rogues, does poison have any real utility in the eras Agnarr goes through (in groups or raids)? Is it expensive to use regularly?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Not really. Poisons don’t really get good till much later.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
There was some amazing poison when PoP released on Phinny, but apparently it was out-of-era, and they removed it from the vendor and everyone's inventories, etc. That was fun while it lasted.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

xZAOx posted:

There was some amazing poison when PoP released on Phinny, but apparently it was out-of-era, and they removed it from the vendor and everyone's inventories, etc. That was fun while it lasted.

I missed that one, but I did get the station cash mount that gave a gigantic buff when you used it and had ridiculous run speed.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007

Tai posted:

Velious, wizards are king overall. A few ntov mobs they are average on.

Luclin, wizards are king on short to medium fights. Rangers are king on long fights such as the blobs.

PoP, melee start to shine more and once everyone is best in slot or close, dps split isn’t that bad.

GoD and beyond, casters become dumpster tier and totally pointless on raids. Monks and zerkers are king by a huuuge amount. Rogues are next on dps parses but are a good 20-25% lower.

Are wizards excelling in velious due to the bane spells? cuz even with a bard maan songing their group, they just dont have the dps of a monk/rogue atm due to the innate AAs.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Their rains are just so dam good.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Oops wrong thread haha

darkhand fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 3, 2018

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Anyone remember what DODH progression is like, in a nutshell? Don't need a play-by-play or anything involving effort.

I'm not going to be able to take time off for launch this time, so just wondering how bad it is to do it later. Does it block you from getting into any raids? Or is it more like DON - just do a questline of tasks?

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

xZAOx posted:

Anyone remember what DODH progression is like, in a nutshell? Don't need a play-by-play or anything involving effort.

I'm not going to be able to take time off for launch this time, so just wondering how bad it is to do it later. Does it block you from getting into any raids? Or is it more like DON - just do a questline of tasks?

1. Get flagged for Dreadspire. Look up Treddlehoop's Wonderful Monocular Seeing Device (I think?). It's a non-task quest that requires you to complete 4 tasks (Deserting the Ranks, Shopping List, Lost Gnomes, and Lost Notebook), you get four pieces and turn them in.
2. Kill Master Vule the Silent Tear in Dreadspire. He drops two eyes. Whoever loots the eyes needs to do the Lens quests, of which the final step is turn in your lens + the eye. This will give the entire group of the person who turns in the eye another lens. Turn in this lens and your Treddlehoop Device to get a Monocle of Blood. This means every Master Vule kill can result in twelve flags if you do it right.
3. Defeat the five blood raids and get the special 5/5 blood AA. The five raids are Draygun, Bloodeye, Matriarch Shyra, Council of Nine, and Queen Sendaii.
4. Use the monocle of blood to zone into Demiplane of Blood (a raid). When you're in Demi, you'll get two debuffs, they get reduced by each blocker you turn in (the snare goes away after three blockers, the dot after four).
5. From Zi-Thuuli, Redfang, Wailing Sisters, and Hatchet, loot the blocker items and hand them in to appropriate people in Dreadspire. Read up on the 23094823094832904 guides that exist on how to determine how to get the loot item you want from Mayong. Each boss drops 6 (?)
6. From Devlin, Tris, Roley/Adrianna, and The Performer, you can get 2 bane items per week. Be smart who you give these two and use them to kill Mayong.
7. Being the person who triggers Mayong after you've turned in the 4 blocker items and selected the correct responses spawns another chest that has an item and gives you a title.

Redfang, Hatchet, Tris, Devlin, Roley/Adrianna, Performer, and Mayong all drop Accursed Drop of Blood, which is a backflag for the 5 Blood Raids. You cannot bypass getting the monocle of blood.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
there's also the optional formal dinner invitation that's a zonewide drop in dreadspire keep, it lets you port from stoneroot instead of running and levitating/whatever from the hive like some kind of pleb.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 3, 2018

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

This might sound weird, but it applies to my pulls as a Ranger, etc.

Is there anyway to run faster - backwards? Or how about the side-to-side strafing? Can you do that any faster somehow?

I'm going to assume no, other than your standard movement + spells, items, bard, etc. But in general I'm talking about making those movements as fast as if they were going forward.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Dennis McClaren posted:

This might sound weird, but it applies to my pulls as a Ranger, etc.

Is there anyway to run faster - backwards? Or how about the side-to-side strafing? Can you do that any faster somehow?

I'm going to assume no, other than your standard movement + spells, items, bard, etc. But in general I'm talking about making those movements as fast as if they were going forward.

Unless something has changed physics related, no, but strafing sideways is slightly faster than running backwards, but not as fast as forward (I believe). You will learn the art of how to turn around and not get pasted using strafe shenanigans, eventually

v--- oh poo poo yeah I forgot about them not nerfing strafe running!

MF_James fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 3, 2018

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Most call it "strafe running" - but pressing forward while also strafing to the left (so, if you're using WASD, holding WA at the same time) will be faster than just one of them. Then use your mouse look to guide you. You'll be running around everywhere at angles, but it's faster. It's really useful if you're being chased by fast mobs or crossing a large zone (of which there aren't really that many post-Velious, at least not yet).

The reason why is cool! Because of the Pythagorean theorem. a^2 + b^2 = c^2. Most games prevent this from working, but EQ is...well...EQ, and not very well made. It's taking your forward and horizontal velocities both to determine your angled velocity, so you end up faster than you should be.

Also, I used WASD because it's common, but everyone should use ESDF ;-)

Arae
Jul 27, 2003
Does anyone know a TLP tradeskill website that can be filtered by expansion? I've been following Almars TLP guide, but it seemed to stop early.

Agnarr is still in Velious and I'm trying to level smithing higher than 220. Are cultural items and mistletoe sickles the only way to get higher than 220? Those items are difficult to mass produce for skillups.

I see Luclin has other options, but i'd prefer to be better skilled when it launches. Any suggestions?

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

You prolly checked ZAM already, right?

xZAOx posted:

Why is that?

Bonnono
May 2, 2006

Enables you to have more hotkeys in easy reach of your left hand.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Also because it's where your left hand goes anyways for normal typing.

But WASD vs ESDF is one of those "almost religious arguments" that I was just being tongue-in-cheek about hehe. Like Unicron vs Death Star.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

I'm a lv57 Ranger now. At what level should I start being concerned with progression style stuff? Someone listed all that DoDH stuff above, is there something similar going on in DoN that we're in now, on Phinigel, that I should start looking into?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

xZAOx posted:

Most call it "strafe running" - but pressing forward while also strafing to the left (so, if you're using WASD, holding WA at the same time) will be faster than just one of them. Then use your mouse look to guide you. You'll be running around everywhere at angles, but it's faster. It's really useful if you're being chased by fast mobs or crossing a large zone (of which there aren't really that many post-Velious, at least not yet).

The reason why is cool! Because of the Pythagorean theorem. a^2 + b^2 = c^2. Most games prevent this from working, but EQ is...well...EQ, and not very well made. It's taking your forward and horizontal velocities both to determine your angled velocity, so you end up faster than you should be.

Strafing also skips the run-up time for mounts. They move instantly at full speed while going sideways, but if you press forward, they need some time to get their fat asses going.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Dennis McClaren posted:

I'm a lv57 Ranger now. At what level should I start being concerned with progression style stuff? Someone listed all that DoDH stuff above, is there something similar going on in DoN that we're in now, on Phinigel, that I should start looking into?

Not really.

You're safe just getting to 70 and busting out AAs with pick up groups for now. I find it highly, highly doubtful you'll be able to get much done in Dreadspire for the first month or so given that there's a bunch of good augments that OGC, WT, EoE, etc will be attempting to farm in there.

You can do the other missions with good groups though and pick up neat things.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

xZAOx posted:

Also because it's where your left hand goes anyways for normal typing.

But WASD vs ESDF is one of those "almost religious arguments" that I was just being tongue-in-cheek about hehe. Like Unicron vs Death Star.

I used the 10-key, what does that make me?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

iNteg posted:

I used the 10-key, what does that make me?

Who are you?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I use GFYS and suggest you all do the same

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Hoohah posted:

Not really.

You're safe just getting to 70 and busting out AAs with pick up groups for now. I find it highly, highly doubtful you'll be able to get much done in Dreadspire for the first month or so given that there's a bunch of good augments that OGC, WT, EoE, etc will be attempting to farm in there.

You can do the other missions with good groups though and pick up neat things.

I've got an invite to join the guild "The Mystic Order" as soon as I hit 65. I don't know anything about them other than a close friend is an officer. Is TMO a capable guild on Phin?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Dennis McClaren posted:

I've got an invite to join the guild "The Mystic Order" as soon as I hit 65. I don't know anything about them other than a close friend is an officer. Is TMO a capable guild on Phin?

https://phinnyprogress.com/

They're a bit slower than the top guilds. I don't know them personally, but I knew some people who left them. They didn't have good things to say, hence why they were leaving.

If you're looking to get into raiding, I'd recommend spending some time on Phinny progress to visit various guilds' webpages and see which one fit your playtimes and style. Guilds have a wide variety of rules, DKP, raid attendance requirements, etc.

Phinny progress also has the "raid times" link at the top to help you do your research.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

xZAOx posted:

Who are you?

Haha, touché.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
There’s two goons I believe in Entendre and they’ve always been a pretty chill guild. I believe they are an EST guild.

Avoid loot council guilds. It just ends up with random drama out bursts or an underlying bitch fest in group/channels.