Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Some deleted post?

Let me guess: He took out some money from retirement/grandma’s house deed/daughter’s cancer treatment/Mexican drug lords, and spent it on bitcoins when it was at 20 and then it crashed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
...and he's asking how to trade on margin because it's at such a discount right now he would be irresponsible if he didn't pick up more!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Ohh lol. he took a 60k heloc and bought Bitcoin at 19k

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Don Lapre posted:

Alright, but was it on bitmex and on margin.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
drat it feels good to be a banker.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Post got deleted, I just see a bunch of people telling the dude that he’s an idiot.

E: Christ. On margin? I get gambling, I get investing what you can lose, hell, I get cashing out an asset to invest (as dumb as that is, I can understand it).

Investing on margin though? gently caress. Such a loving awful idea.

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 31, 2017

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

QuarkJets posted:

ETC is the fork where the person who "stole" the DAO funds gets to keep everything, ETH is the fork where the "theft" was reversed. That's the only difference. It's up to you whether that matters
Which means that each fork is under development by a different team. It's possible that ETH or ETC will completely fall apart at some point in the future.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Sneeze Party posted:

It's possible that ETH or ETC any coin will completely fall apart at some point in the future.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
How dare you insult the digital pog marketplace

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

:thunk:

If he bought video cards he could at least re-sell them. What a goof.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

tehinternet posted:

Post got deleted, I just see a bunch of people telling the dude that he’s an idiot.

E: Christ. On margin? I get gambling, I get investing what you can lose, hell, I get cashing out an asset to invest (as dumb as that is, I can understand it).

Investing on margin though? gently caress. Such a loving awful idea.

Margin trading alone isn't crazy.

What's crazy is doing it on Bitcoin, which averages 10% daily volatility. Trading that with the 10,000% leverage Bitmex provides is betting on coinflips. That 10,000% excludes the leverage employed by financing the position with a HELOC.

For a comparison, front-month 30-day Fed funds futures contracts are 50,000,000% leverage. But since there's only 0.005% daily volatility, if you lose, you can offset the loss by not ordering pizza for dinner that night (immense sacrifice).

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I just plugged in some hard drives the other day I had lying around and started mining Burstcoin in a pool during that spike and Mcafee announcement.
2 of the 4 hard drives I write "B" on for bad, and the SMART reports don't look great, but whatever, this poo poo isn't important.

I can't wait until I mine 1 BURST and can set a cool name for my wallet
Thinking XxXCrypto1337NEO6969XxX or something I can't wait

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 1, 2018

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Is burstcoin the one where the feds burst into your house looking for CP?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Rexxed posted:

Since that and drugs is all cryptocurrency is ultimately good for, that would be all coins.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Is there a "respectable" exchange that does XRB?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Is there a "respectable" exchange that does XRB?

Not even the exchanges that never saw a shitcoin they didn't like.

they have been doing journalistic outreach though:

https://twitter.com/ruskin147/status/943889566544605185

yeah, that was a RaiBlocks cultist

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
So that whole Nicehash to Coinbase direct with no fees thing apparently has been working for days now. But thats just nicehash wallet to Coinbase wallet, not if you've already been mining to an external address (even if it is Coinbase...)

Since im just in limbo with over 0.01 but not at all willing to wait until 0.1, I might switch over to a Nicehash wallet (lololololol) and transfer everything out to Coinbase as frequently as possible and hopefully the other funds will transfer as soon as the cutoff is lifted.

Edit: yeah the coinbase transfer limit is just 0.001 lol. So daily transfers or more out of that hellhole

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 1, 2018

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

1gnoirents posted:

So that whole Nicehash to Coinbase direct with no fees thing apparently has been working for days now. But thats just nicehash wallet to Coinbase wallet, not if you've already been mining to an external address (even if it is Coinbase...)

Since im just in limbo with over 0.01 but not at all willing to wait until 0.1, I might switch over to a Nicehash wallet (lololololol) and transfer everything out to Coinbase as frequently as possible and hopefully the other funds will transfer as soon as the cutoff is lifted.

Edit: yeah the coinbase transfer limit is just 0.001 lol. So daily transfers or more out of that hellhole

The whole thing is bullshit - they actually have to pay transfer fees for external wallets so they don’t like that, I’m guessing.

I suppose they could substract the fees from the miner payment, but no let’s just let the money ride for a few more weeks

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

From what I gathered the only way this works with no fees is Coinbase has made an agreement with Nicehash to accept the funds outside of the blockchain. Coinbase essentially fronts money to your address and Nicehash has to pay them for it later, presumably in economical large transfers.

The funny side to all of this for me is that for a brief moment I will have 3 separate accounts with Nicehash with "my" money tied up

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Don't shuffle poo poo around sketchy wallet services. Wait for the backlog to clear, it's only at 120k now, down from 200+ a week ago. Once the market has calmed down, sell everything and buy back in after the crash.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

only at 120k now

Currency of the future

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Guys in our consumption driven economy you are spending too quickly, we need to pare it down to a more reasonable 4-6 transactions per second.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Don Lapre posted:

Currency of the future

That means there’s 120k people who desire the honeys of the fruit of the crypto tree, so bitcoin is a large success so far! It can always be patched to be faster later

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010
Any good recommendations for an Ethereum wallet on the desktop (would also be OK with android)? I'm trying to use the standard desktop Ethereum wallet - the light mode doesn't work and the huge 40+ GB blockchain download has no end in sight... Ideally, something that doesn't take two days to boot and sync. Are there disadvantages of using another type of wallet, i.e., fees? Really not familiar with the Ethereum wallets.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

Rexxed posted:

That's Sia.

Burstcoin is just proof of capacity. You write nonce's to your storage for mining operations.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

Deathreaper posted:

Any good recommendations for an Ethereum wallet on the desktop (would also be OK with android)? I'm trying to use the standard desktop Ethereum wallet - the light mode doesn't work and the huge 40+ GB blockchain download has no end in sight... Ideally, something that doesn't take two days to boot and sync. Are there disadvantages of using another type of wallet, i.e., fees? Really not familiar with the Ethereum wallets.

I tried to sync the ethereum blockchain for two weeks before giving up and buying an SSD for it specifically. I finally managed to finish the sync then.

There are all sorts of posts of similar issues from people trying to sync with "slow" HDD storage. I guess the devs are trying to fix it with this light client but it's not really there yet.

I believe online and cloud based wallets are still less trustworthy than the full downloaded wallet for Ethereum.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Numinous posted:

I believe online and cloud based wallets are still less trustworthy than the full downloaded wallet for Ethereum.

You think? What made you lose faith, the 300million erased(not even stolen - just accidentally deleted) from the Parity online wallet? Such poor faith in crypto

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Don't shuffle poo poo around sketchy wallet services. Wait for the backlog to clear, it's only at 120k now, down from 200+ a week ago. Once the market has calmed down, sell everything and buy back in after the crash.

Lol Bitcoin can only do 7 transactions per second versus visas like 40-50k.

It's such a bloated mess.

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010

Numinous posted:

I tried to sync the ethereum blockchain for two weeks before giving up and buying an SSD for it specifically. I finally managed to finish the sync then.

There are all sorts of posts of similar issues from people trying to sync with "slow" HDD storage. I guess the devs are trying to fix it with this light client but it's not really there yet.

Thanks for the heads up - I gave up half way through and in the process realized I can send my Ethereum to the exchange from MPH directly (to be sold, with the real money going into my bank account following that). I let the wallet run for half a day on a 4.3 GHz 5960x with a 1.2TB Intel 750 NVMe SSD on a 200Mbps connection - and it wasn't even close to being finished. This is going to be super great and simple for mass adoption, it's obvious, I just need to upgrade to an Optane drive to make this viable! Currency of the future!

Edit - thinking of it, the Optane drives now come with Star Citizen, I can back 2 winners in 1 purchase!

Deathreaper fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 2, 2018

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

Lol Bitcoin can only do 7 transactions per second versus visas like 40-50k.

It's such a bloated mess.

Sure but you can't install Visa's software on your PC. Also how much time has Visa been working on their systems, while Bitcoin is completely new.

This is like Linux vs Windows all over again, but with currency.
And we all know this is the year of Linux on the desktop

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Sure but you can't install Visa's software on your PC. Also how much time has Visa been working on their systems, while Bitcoin is completely new.

It's Linux vs Windows except the price ratio somehow reversed, with Microsoft offering competitive rates and *nix providers charging out the nose

And also there's a civil war every time someone proposes patching a major security vulnerability or usability issue

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

2017 was the Year of Linux on the Windows Desktop though

QuarkJets posted:

It's Linux vs Windows except the price ratio somehow reversed, with Microsoft offering competitive rates and *nix providers charging out the nose

Ah, so, the late 80s/early 90s.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

You think? What made you lose faith, the 300million erased(not even stolen - just accidentally deleted) from the Parity online wallet? Such poor faith in crypto

More like poor faith in humanity. Either in their ability to code a stable wallet or not steal 300 million worth of others coins. The stolen coins seems almost a matter of when and not if though. Kind of expected.

The Mist wallet is a pile of trash - 40GB block chain and it can't even perform an initial sync. The Bitcoin Core wallet at least manages to perform this feat slowly but stably with a 150GB block chain.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Burstcoin's wallet is only a couple gigs and it doesn't burn a lot of power since it's a proof of capacity coin - storage instead of CPU. Solutions to the blockchain puzzes sit on your hard drive in what they call plots.

It's kinda fun poking around in the database too - anyone can create assets\shares though it isn't a wildly used feature.
As far as I know, there is no central way to search them, so I was poking in the blockchain directly.

Here are things that had any volume of trades from December, provided my SQL is good.
select cast(b.asset_id as unsigned integer), name, sum(b.quantity),
from_unixtime(1407722400 +(max(b.timestamp))), a.description
from asset a
inner join asset_transfer b on a.id = b.asset_id and from_unixtime(1407722400 + b.timestamp) >= '2017-12-01'
group by a.id
order by max(b.height) desc

http://dosnetsynth.com/test.csv

Here are some "good" ones
http://burstcoin.online - Look at those legit silver pics!
"Mystery" asset - https://www.reddit.com/user/AnsiBurst/ - Clearly SEC approved!!
Check out the mad-diluted FleX asset!
The pool I'm part of is "BTFGPool" - They sell assets that give dividends. The asset is trading at like a 1:10-1:50 P/E ratio or something semi crazy, low volumes. It's a fun pool though, good for people without dozens of TB of storage.

This is kind of fun, as a proof of concept\toy. The code is interesting and it's up on github. A new team picked up maintaining it recently so interest is spiking a bit. It spun off a ton of drama, from people who are super into the financial aspect of the coin. If you actually dig into it, it has like 200 public nodes, so I kinda :lol: at the gravity people treat these coins with.

The blockchain is only a few gigs, despite the coin being from Aug 2014, so it's super simple to set up a full node. It runs on MariaDB thanks to new development.

Once you have drives plotted, it would run on a raspberry PI without much issue.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 2, 2018

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

From the BFC thread, everyone mining should give this a read:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ethtrader/comments/7nhj2u/us_tax_guide_for_eth_and_other_cryptocurrencies/

tl;dr If you've been mining or buying/selling/trading cryptocurrencies then you should start thinking about the tax implications now rather than later

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
reading through the last 2 months of this thread was a real hoot

1gnoirents posted:

Last time we had a massive backlog that cleared the price of buttcoin went up $10000

Fyi ;)

*bitcoin crashes*

1gnoirents posted:

If i were brave and had money id be buying a big chunk

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

From the BFC thread, everyone mining should give this a read:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ethtrader/comments/7nhj2u/us_tax_guide_for_eth_and_other_cryptocurrencies/

tl;dr If you've been mining or buying/selling/trading cryptocurrencies then you should start thinking about the tax implications now rather than later

14. If I use ETH, BTC, or other cryptocurrency to purchase goods or services, is this a taxable transaction?

Yes. It would be treated as selling your cryptocurrency for USD, and then using that USD to purchase those goods or services. This is because the IRS treats cryptocurrency as property and not currency.

Lol who's gonna use crypto for any purchases when you have to pay 20% tax on it?

Anyone who voted for Trump and is heavily into crypto is hosed.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Klyith posted:

reading through the last 2 months of this thread was a real hoot

*bitcoin crashes*

Yes I wish I had put in all the money I could at 10k because it swung 40% up within a single day when transactions dipped below 200k, thanks for the reminder lol

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Nitrousoxide posted:

14. If I use ETH, BTC, or other cryptocurrency to purchase goods or services, is this a taxable transaction?

Yes. It would be treated as selling your cryptocurrency for USD, and then using that USD to purchase those goods or services. This is because the IRS treats cryptocurrency as property and not currency.

Lol who's gonna use crypto for any purchases when you have to pay 20% tax on it?

Anyone who voted for Trump and is heavily into crypto is hosed.

20% on capital gains, if you buy or mine it at one price and then use it when it is 50% higher...then yeah. Maybe it will stop the wild swings.

Edit: Haha, apparently if you mine it, it is treated as income at that point. That is silly. Should be when you use it and convert it to real money. Or, hey, a VAT replacing our antiquated and complex tax code would also work.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Etheruem going to the moon

:nws:

:nms:

http://crypto-pussies.com/

It is what you think, click with caution.

Ethereum up 17% since its release 6 hours ago

• Locked thread