Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

GoldfishStew posted:

Seriously how do you stop playing stardew

my personal goal is to “finish” the first farm i’m doing (repair the community center, get married, upgrade the house fully, make stacks) and take a couple month break once i’ve mostly got things the way i want. i could see burning out trying to max everything or starting completely over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
metroid in 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

8-Bit Scholar posted:

And she named it after the man who kidnapped her and all the streets after his relatives.

Did it ever occur to you that we only saw a very small part of Pauline and Donkey Kong's relationship?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I always assumed that "Donkey" was a name given to him when he was brought to New Donk. You know, a "Your name is Toby" kind of thing

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Anyone trying to go next level in 2018?

https://twitter.com/Jkooza/status/948104847407988736

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I could use a Nintendo Switch bed harness, actually

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't know why I expected it would be any different, but after the holidays using the Switch undocked I found it has the same problem that my 3DS did, and my PSP before that. My hands cramp and go numb after 10-20 minutes. It goes away when I detach the joycons and use them separately but that's not always optimal for playing on the go. I guess I'll have to resign myself to my fate of being tied to playing my mobile stuff for either really short bursts, or sitting upright with my switch acting as a really tiny TV while I have the joycons detached :[

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Played a crap load more Gungeon today. Now able to get to level 3 with little worry. I enjoy the core gameplay but I agree, it is a bit slow.

Feels good to see myseld improve. Getting flawless on the bosses still seems like a tall order though.

Also, I always use my blanks by accident because i have a habit of pressing in the two joysticks inadvertently. Any trick to stop doing that?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Martytoof posted:

I don't know why I expected it would be any different, but after the holidays using the Switch undocked I found it has the same problem that my 3DS did, and my PSP before that. My hands cramp and go numb after 10-20 minutes. It goes away when I detach the joycons and use them separately but that's not always optimal for playing on the go. I guess I'll have to resign myself to my fate of being tied to playing my mobile stuff for either really short bursts, or sitting upright with my switch acting as a really tiny TV while I have the joycons detached :[

Or maybe you could get evaluated for carpal tunnel syndrome. (seriously)

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I absolutely want this goofy thing. How much?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

8-Bit Scholar posted:

And she named it after the man who kidnapped her and all the streets after his relatives.

Have you guys ever stopped to consider that maybe the streets and city were always named like that and DK's kidnapping of Pauline was politically motivated

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

They are keeping the new Donkey Kong game under tight wraps because it covers the period when the Metro Kingdom and the nations of the Kong Islands were at war.

Mario was a soldier without a nation. The world called for wet work, and he answered. No greater good, no just cause

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

GoldfishStew posted:

Seriously how do you stop playing stardew

Once I got all the bundles and was rolling in truffles my interest in the game fell off a cliff. Took about 100 hrs to reach that point though.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

They are keeping the new Donkey Kong game under tight wraps because it covers the period when the Metro Kingdom and the nations of the Kong Islands were at war.

Mario was a soldier without a nation. The world called for wet work, and he answered. No greater good, no just cause

Mario didn't kill those kongs any more than a bullet kills a man. Pauline pointed the gun. Pauline pulled the trigger.

A new game experience from Hideo Gorila

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Plombiers Sans Frontiéres

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I think the best praise I can give Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is that it's at least pretty self-aware about how dumb it is. Pyra has a line that she does sometimes when night falls,
"Aaaand I'm glowing now.
...I'm a little self-conscious."

The rest of the party also calls Tora out on how it's creepy that he has a closet full of maid costumes for essentially his robot daughter.

I'd say its real crime is that, compared to XBC and XBCX, its actual story feels really dumbed down about half the time, like it's one of those adventure anime for kids where consequences don't exist. UNTIL THEY DO, and there's major tonal whiplash.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Strawberry Panda posted:

Played a crap load more Gungeon today. Now able to get to level 3 with little worry. I enjoy the core gameplay but I agree, it is a bit slow.

Feels good to see myseld improve. Getting flawless on the bosses still seems like a tall order though.

Also, I always use my blanks by accident because i have a habit of pressing in the two joysticks inadvertently. Any trick to stop doing that?

I switched blanks to A and turned off the double joystick click. I had the opposite problem, I could never get it to fire when I wanted it to.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

deadly_pudding posted:

I'd say its real crime is that, compared to XBC and XBCX, its actual story feels really dumbed down about half the time, like it's one of those adventure anime for kids where consequences don't exist. UNTIL THEY DO, and there's major tonal whiplash.

I didn't think there was tonal whiplash per se -- since we see things from Rex's perspective and Rex is portrayed as somewhat naive and fairly clueless about the world outside of salvaging. He doesn't understand what is happening and neither does the player, so when things suddenly get serious, they're catching him by surprise as well. Pretty much every NPC you meet basically shouts at you about how you don't understand how much poo poo you are in.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Chinook posted:

Or maybe you could get evaluated for carpal tunnel syndrome. (seriously)

Not ruling this out but I haven't really bothered with this since it really doesn't affect me in any way other than playing video games on handhelds. I have a desk job and am at a keyboard for literally most of the day every for most of the week for the last 20-some years and it hasn't really been a problem.

Just one more thing to talk to my doctor about I guess :)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Martytoof posted:

problem solved

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There are a lot of little technical things about the Switch that I'm pretty impressed by, like how seamlessly it goes from being docked to handheld and back again.

Do other recent consoles do the thing where, if they resume from sleep mode, they automatically turn on your TV and flip to the right HDMI input? Because my PS4 definitely doesn't do that and I was really surprised when the Switch did.

squirt the daisies
Apr 26, 2009

Immortal Wombat? That game is for pantywaists!
BotW is really surprising. Just got off the plateu towards the first quest, night came so i started searching for a fire. Then a thunderstorm hit and all my metal weapons got electrified, so i instinctively switched to my torch, my only non metal weapon. I finally find a fire surrounded by about 5 or 6 pigs, equip my bow and blow up the exploding barrel near them, killing them. A pot was near so i cook myself something before going to sleep.
And during sleep, i have a dream that monsters i killed come back to life during night. Imagine my surprise when i wake up, surrounded by the 6 pigs :x

I really like how intuitive everything is, how even after you remove the fog of war you still don't have anything marked on the map, how you mark your own points of interest, how the weather is more than a visual thing (like rain making climbing harder due to the wetness) etc.

Really a great game, i'm impressed.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My PS4 does. If you don’t close the game when you put it to sleep you can go from off to turning on the controller, which turns the ps4, which turns the tv, and playing the game in a few seconds.

gallilee
Jul 24, 2001

Imagine when you're about to get your dick sucked by the alien from aliens and she's like "ahaha guess i gotta bring out my little mouth for this one"
I’m still amazed that a console that plays Doom and Skyrim with no problems whatsoever still struggles to keep a steady framerate when playing Rime.
God that game is poorly optimized for the Switch.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Well I just did about the worst job possible putting on my plastic screen protector, it got bubbled to hell and back and I also managed to get some dust and hairs under it. I probably should have just bought a glass one right away, I guess this will do until I get a better one ordered but goddammit

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Sometimes the weather in BotW is a PITA tho, like when you’re trying to get blue flame to the labs and you just have to sit there for like 15 minutes waiting for the rain to stop.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

squirt the daisies posted:

And during sleep, i have a dream that monsters i killed come back to life during night. Imagine my surprise when i wake up, surrounded by the 6 pigs :x

That’s called a blood moon. It’s the games clever way of resetting the world so it doesn’t have to remember every dead Moblin and broken barrel. You can use it to your advantage after you find rare ore deposits ore rate stone Talus’s. Every blood moon pop over go collect some expensive gems.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

squirt the daisies posted:

I really like how intuitive everything is, how even after you remove the fog of war you still don't have anything marked on the map, how you mark your own points of interest, how the weather is more than a visual thing (like rain making climbing harder due to the wetness) etc.

Marking your own points of interest is probably my favorite little twist on the open world formula that BotW does. It changes the Ubisoft-style towers from chores that open up a new checklist for you to, y'know, actually just giving you a nice, high vantage point to look for cool things. I like it a lot.

I'm replaying the game now that I have a Switch (after playing it on Wii U back in March) and even though I did like 80 shrines and explored a lot of the map, I'm still just loving running off and getting lost. I'm actually a little surprised at how great it is to replay, given its size and density. I have a ton of combat-related complaints, but everything else in the game is just incredible.

I do, however, wish there was a HUD mode between the normal and the pro HUDs. The pro HUD doesn't give me quite enough information, and the normal one gives me more than I need. I'd love to replace the minimap with just a compass, for example.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I didn't think there was tonal whiplash per se -- since we see things from Rex's perspective and Rex is portrayed as somewhat naive and fairly clueless about the world outside of salvaging. He doesn't understand what is happening and neither does the player, so when things suddenly get serious, they're catching him by surprise as well. Pretty much every NPC you meet basically shouts at you about how you don't understand how much poo poo you are in.

I mean things like, how the game doesn't have the guts to make going back to Torigoth a bad idea after you participate in a terrorist attack/ultraviolent jailbreak and destroy their irrigation system, resulting in Rex having a loving WANTED poster up on the village board afterwards and the NPCs there are just like, "WOW I HOPE THEY FIND THOSE GUYS" when you talk to them, which sets up kind of a precedent for for the party being canonically immune to the consequences of their actions... until later when suddenly they are extremely not immune to consequences.

I guess you could be right, and that's just surprisingly clever writing from the general perspective of Rex being a naive adolescent, but the game feels like a kids' anime up until one specific and permanent event... then almost immediately feels like a kids' anime again when you get to the next town.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Forktoss posted:

Well I just did about the worst job possible putting on my plastic screen protector, it got bubbled to hell and back and I also managed to get some dust and hairs under it. I probably should have just bought a glass one right away, I guess this will do until I get a better one ordered but goddammit

As someone who vacuums and dusts and still has a ton of poo poo floating around, the best advice I can give is to run a hot shower with the bathroom door closed for five minutes then wipe down your screen and apply the protector in there.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bum the Sad posted:

That’s called a blood moon. It’s the games clever way of resetting the world so it doesn’t have to remember every dead Moblin and broken barrel. You can use it to your advantage after you find rare ore deposits ore rate stone Talus’s. Every blood moon pop over go collect some expensive gems.

Yep, this is how you get rich quick. Mark every rare ore deposit and Stone Talus and revisit them each blood moon, sell the gems, enjoy rolling in rupees.

About the only gems I wouldn't sell are diamonds. Everything else is easy enough to get each blood moon that you can pretty safely sell them all unless you have an immediate need to upgrade some armor with them or something. Even then, diamonds aren't so tough to get once you get to the Zora kingdom, because you can always trade luminous stones for diamonds there.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I'm running to Goron City for the first time and I'm trying to cheap out with only one Fireproof elixir. I'm pretty close, at the part with the falling boulders. There's like 1:30 left on the elixir, so like an idiot I decide to eat some speed boost food to get there faster. Turns into a mad dash to the city's shine, devouring every single bonus health food I have, talking to every goron on the way because that somehow puts out the fire. Barely made it before I had to start eating raw food.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

My PS4 does. If you don’t close the game when you put it to sleep you can go from off to turning on the controller, which turns the ps4, which turns the tv, and playing the game in a few seconds.

I had something that worked the opposite way, when I turned off the TV it would turn off the device. I don't remember what it was now though.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I had something that worked the opposite way, when I turned off the TV it would turn off the device. I don't remember what it was now though.

I've got a couple of TVs, all of them at least had the option to "auto-power on when HDMI input is detected", but the best I could get for the opposite was "timed inactivity shutdown when no input is detected"

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Harrow posted:

Do other recent consoles do the thing where, if they resume from sleep mode, they automatically turn on your TV and flip to the right HDMI input? Because my PS4 definitely doesn't do that and I was really surprised when the Switch did.
My Steam Link did it all three times i used it

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Harrow posted:

Check to see if your PS4 has device link enabled. Essentially HDMI CEC.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/settings/devicelink.html

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

deadly_pudding posted:

I mean things like, how the game doesn't have the guts to make going back to Torigoth a bad idea after you participate in a terrorist attack/ultraviolent jailbreak and destroy their irrigation system, resulting in Rex having a loving WANTED poster up on the village board afterwards and the NPCs there are just like, "WOW I HOPE THEY FIND THOSE GUYS" when you talk to them, which sets up kind of a precedent for for the party being canonically immune to the consequences of their actions... until later when suddenly they are extremely not immune to consequences.

I guess you could be right, and that's just surprisingly clever writing from the general perspective of Rex being a naive adolescent, but the game feels like a kids' anime up until one specific and permanent event... then almost immediately feels like a kids' anime again when you get to the next town.

Hm, I suppose that makes sense, but in general the game doesn't want to lock you out of places, so even if there's only hours before everyone dies, you can still go grind salvage materials for three days and no harm's done.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

deadly_pudding posted:

I take that to be gameplay trumping story, like how you can fast travel anywhere at any time, for example immediately after being shipwrecked in the belly of a titan you can warp back to the first town, where the merchant king is ostensibly trying to hunt down Pyra but you can walk up to him and have a chat and he doesn't care. It's immersion breaking but with how many little shops and sidequests there are it beats being locked out of stuff because you played the story too far.

The story does feel a little bare right now, it's very saturday morning cartoon which I kind of dig. I like how each area builds to a big dramatic fight and then a smash cut to titles. But the overarching plot is either very simple or underexplained so far.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Tender Bender posted:

The story does feel a little bare right now, it's very saturday morning cartoon which I kind of dig. I like how each area builds to a big dramatic fight and then a smash cut to titles. But the overarching plot is either very simple or underexplained so far.

I really want to like Xenoblade 2 more but this pacing is just killing me. Each chapter ending with some crazy 30 minute Xeno-style epic anime boss fight cutscene thing is great and why I love Xeno games but the saturday morning cartoon progression of the story between those points I find really boring and not that interesting. I'm on Chapter 5 and I really don't have much drive to keep going, but I see the odd screenshot or clip from late game and it does make me want to go back to it at some point.

So instead I'm playing Romancing SaGa 2 on my PS4, just now over halfway done killing the Seven Heroes, loving every minute of this obtuse-rear end thing.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I wish I knew what was so different about my PS4, because start-up from sleep is always:

- Beep.
- Whirrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
- Whoooo. Login screen. Select name.
- Game logo. Loading.
- Ba-ding. There's the game with the PS4 overlay to tell me what my controller battery is at.

It's less than 30 seconds, sure, but everyone else seems to have an instant experience comparable to the Switch. And putting it back into sleep is basically "Going into sleep mode" followed by waiting for the light to turn off before I can attempt to bring it back on. Like, you have to be invested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I was a little weirded out when I realized how big a problem I had with this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkH2zETKqws not being anywhere in Breath of the Wild. Maybe I'm just an old fart, but running around exploring the world in a Zelda game and never hearing that theme feels hoooooorribly off.

• Locked thread