Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BastardAus
Jun 3, 2003
Chunder from Down Under

mindphlux posted:

peeling garlic takes two seconds. put the back of your knife on a clove, then hit it one time with the palm of your hand. then, hold the clove + skin, and cut away a thin slice where the root met it. you should just be able to pinch the loosened skin off the rest of the clove, no mess, no garlic hands.

it takes practice, but it's like people who bitch about crab being messy or hard to open and so they just don't ever eat it. get your technique down and you're good to go.

I have no opinions of depeeled whole, my mums told me if poo poo looked too good to be true it probably was, so I've never bothered.

edit : that said, both peeling garlic AND ginger and prepping them both is *just* enough of a pain in the rear end that I wholly endorse premixed grated garlic/ginger mixtures from indian markets, for the limited purpose of making chinese/malay/indian curries with tons of garlic and ginger. that has a place in my fridge for sure.

I do it fresh with the smack with a knife blade method, but here's what my friend does;
Roasts a few heads whole, squeezes the cloves out into a jar that stays in the fridge until he needs them. "I use lot of garlic in my dishes and it never stays on my breath the next day, takes the acrid smell out of it."
Hmm. I can see why that would work, if not altering the flavour profile in really fresh sauces and applications, but like him I usually make garlic heavy dishes that take a while to cook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

GrAviTy84 posted:

Unpopular opinion: Kenji is about 50/50 with bad opinions.

Agreed. Sometimes I watch him and I’m like “holy crap, that’s awesome!” The other times I watch him and I’m like “what the gently caress are you doing“.

Mr_Roke
Jan 1, 2014

Croatoan posted:

Agreed. Sometimes I watch him and I’m like “holy crap, that’s awesome!” The other times I watch him and I’m like “what the gently caress are you doing“.

I'm probably not experienced enough to notice it but so many people on this forum having his sous vide BBQ turn into salt lick disasters, along with the consensus he uses too much salt, makes me reluctant to use his recipes.

I don't own a sous vide circulator but it's interesting to compare Kenji's sous vide ribs recipe to meathead's. Kenji calls for a quarter cup of kosher salt for 2 racks of ribs while meathead's calls for half a tsp of kosher salt per pound. I haven't bought ribs in a long time but it seems like Kenji's recipe would have more than twice the amount of salt.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Friendship ended with Kenji. Now Dave Arnold is my best friend.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Dave is cool as hell, but Kenji is Also still a cool dude. Hell, a bunch of you do things which I, the ultimate arbiter of good taste, don't like, and I still like you guys.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Besides his love of salt, what is most people's beef with his recipes? Even his social media seems innocuous to me. I haven't had anything of his turn out poorly tho I do use my own common sense when cooking...is it a preference thing? He does have a tendency to bludgeon the tongue (umami bombs left and right) but I'm down with that as an ex-chain smoker who is frequently congested.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Jay Carney posted:

Besides his love of salt, what is most people's beef with his recipes? Even his social media seems innocuous to me. I haven't had anything of his turn out poorly tho I do use my own common sense when cooking...is it a preference thing? He does have a tendency to bludgeon the tongue (umami bombs left and right) but I'm down with that as an ex-chain smoker who is frequently congested.

I get tired of the pretentiousness and absurd length of some of his writing. A lot of the time, the things that distinguish his recipe from the garden variety reach well beyond the line of diminishing returns. He also has zero charm on camera.

Just my opinion please don't scream at me.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

You ain't wrong though. Also he is very counter culture for no reason sometimes. His hatred of the Blackstone pizza oven even though literally every other sperglord on that weird pizza forum loves it is one. He was shilling for some Weber box that was poo poo. He's on to the roccbox now even though the uuni is way better return on investment.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Look at what I came across in TFL :v:

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Jay Carney posted:

He's a bit of a shill, baffling with his salt ratios, and lacks even a hint of charisma on camera or in print.

I'll never stop making his turchetta or Thai beef, though. Just use his recipes that you had to google and don't read the "slice of life" print. And maybe cut the salt by a 1/3.

e: LMAO BrianBoitano coming in with the triple lutz.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 1, 2018

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Eh, I guess I have a higher tolerance for pretentiousness especially considering he seems to be the successor to Kimball.

I'm pretty shocked at how lovely he is on camera tho. Any half decent producer should be able to mask that but at that level I doubt anyone is paying for that!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If you're gonna call him a shill, please back it up with any shred of evidence. His whole brand is that he tests everything and doesn't take money to promote products. If you have any evidence of that happening, it would be a huge deal.

Mr_Roke
Jan 1, 2014

Kenji's definitely not great on camera but I find he's decent enough for the short videos on Serious Eats. I definitely wouldn't want to watch a show with him.

Maybe it's just from having followed him on Twitter but there's something about him that rubs me the wrong way these days. But I think his writing's changed a fair bit too, probably since he started working on his book. For as long as I've read his stuff he's been overly long but I could I get through that without much of an issue. Recently it seems like he's obligated to pack in nerd jokes and references like he's writing some sort of Big Bang Theory cookbook.

I got Stella Parks' American dessert book for Christmas. It looks just okay - a lot of interesting history stuff and half the recipes look good to me but half the stuff is things that wouldn't interest me because it's homemade mass produced food like Wonder Bread (For the love of God, why?) and Twinkies. Kenji wrote the forward, and well:

Kenji in 'the forward to 'Bravetart' posted:

I am convinced that Stella is the result of a biological accident where a lab technician dropped Betty Crocker, Ernie the Keebler Elf, Mr. Wizard, and Fannie Farmer's DNA samples into an incubator and out emerged a living, breathing pastry goddess. A genetic experiment gone horribly, horribly right.

Mr_Roke fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 1, 2018

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Yeah, he's REALLY INTO bravetart, which I don't get at all. I absolutely hate the trend for homemade poptarts and Oreos and poo poo. But I think that's my personal thing and not a problem with him, unless he's trying to get with Stella Parks or something.

Mr_Roke
Jan 1, 2014

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah, he's REALLY INTO bravetart, which I don't get at all. I absolutely hate the trend for homemade poptarts and Oreos and poo poo. But I think that's my personal thing and not a problem with him, unless he's trying to get with Stella Parks or something.

I like her non-homemade brands recipes (her rolled sugar cookie recipe was much better this Christmas than the one I got from my mom) and assumed that she only did those because that drives web traffic to the Serious Eats website (like Kenji's homemade Big Mac stuff). Looks like I was wrong there.

Mr_Roke fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 1, 2018

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kenji is good for "why do I want to do it this way versus that way" information.

Matty Matheson is my present favourite. He's batting 1.000 for good recipes, out of the ones of his that I've tried, anyway. Plus he's Canadian and a weirdo.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I enjoy bon appetit's YouTube videos. The "it's alive" series with Brad is always entertaining and pretty informative.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Anne Whateley posted:

If you're gonna call him a shill, please back it up with any shred of evidence. His whole brand is that he tests everything and doesn't take money to promote products. If you have any evidence of that happening, it would be a huge deal.

You know, I have to give you this one. Outside of being a suos vide obsessive and a pizza-thing snob I can't think of a single thing he's hocked for. Good point there. I think I'm probably conflating him with every other food oerson that has A Brand.

He's still exhausting though.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Has anybody tried any Milk Street recipes? Pretension aside, I like Chris Kimball and I've listened to his career reboot company's podcasts, but not cooked anything from them yet.

Their ads for their eponymous cookbook tout a stovetop cake and a steamed chicken, which could be :psyduck: or could be ATK surprising tips reincarnated.

(Fake edit: after cursory googling, steamed chicken appears to be a regional thing, but stovetop cake still looks sketchy)

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

What are other good recipe sites? I usually google “X recipe serious eats” as a starting point for food I’m interested in.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Anne Whateley posted:

Because she's also a big featured name on SeriousEats.

And I think some people think of Kenji as a shill because SE appears to make much of its money off Amazon affiliate links and whatnot now. Along with sponsored posts from TUTTAROSA TOMATOES or whatever.

In general, SE used to be a very personable website, and as time has gone on, they've done the usual flip of trying to make money as opposed to being something more "homegrown" or whatever. That probably colors some peoples' views too, whether warranted or not. When people think you're a sell out, you'll always be a shill.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

Has anybody tried any Milk Street recipes? Pretension aside, I like Chris Kimball and I've listened to his career reboot company's podcasts, but not cooked anything from them yet.

Their ads for their eponymous cookbook tout a stovetop cake and a steamed chicken, which could be :psyduck: or could be ATK surprising tips reincarnated.

(Fake edit: after cursory googling, steamed chicken appears to be a regional thing, but stovetop cake still looks sketchy)

If it’s kimball it is probably largely flavourless (I really dislike kimball if that hasn’t become super clear)

I do think it’s kind of weird that SE kind of has a monopoly on go-to recipes for a lot of people these days. Their site sucks and the contributors are annoying but most experienced cooks, myself included, go there first. gently caress, my mom used to write recipes for a living and tested the poo poo out of all of them and she goes there over her own stuff most of the time! For as broad a topic as food is you’d think there were options that weren’t playing Russian roulette like epicurious or whatever can be.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Jay Carney posted:

If it’s kimball it is probably largely flavourless (I really dislike kimball if that hasn’t become super clear)

I do think it’s kind of weird that SE kind of has a monopoly on go-to recipes for a lot of people these days. Their site sucks and the contributors are annoying but most experienced cooks, myself included, go there first. gently caress, my mom used to write recipes for a living and tested the poo poo out of all of them and she goes there over her own stuff most of the time! For as broad a topic as food is you’d think there were options that weren’t playing Russian roulette like epicurious or whatever can be.

I used to like saveur as sort of an all purpose recipe site, but they shat up their website with a ton of advertising that makes it impossibly annoying to view on mobile which is how I use most recipes these days. They also removed a bunch of search/browse filters and features and even more puzzlingly removed a bunch of content as part of their redesign.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

I actually like most of the recipes in saveur and bon appetit but their websites kind of suck and going back into texture to hunt down half-remembered recipes is annoying.

Man whoever can make a half-decent interface wins huh?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Make the GWSWiki Great Again

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

SE is the go-to instead of ATK because affiliate links are better than paywalls.

Democratic Pirate posted:

What are other good recipe sites? I usually google “X recipe serious eats” as a starting point for food I’m interested in.

1. Eat Your Books lets you search through your own cookbooks. Free account gives you access to 5 books, though you can cycle them through (e.g. just got some eggplant? Delete whatever 5 you have on there and add all the Ottolenghi books). After a couple months of using it, I felt the reasonable premium price was worth it. I think you can Google a coupon code, if you don't find one I'll message my buddy who works there.

2. Find cookbook authors and food bloggers you trust / whose tastes fit yours. For me, that includes Ina Garten, Smitten Kitchen, Food52, Bon Appetit, Cooking Comically, Sorted on YouTube, Not Without Salt.

3. Sign up for the ATK emails and copy/paste into a recipe manager, since they're not paywalled for the first couple weeks.

4. Food52 cookbook club on Facebook. Everyone cooks from the same book each month, sometimes more than one, and it's been going on for a year. So that's 12+ books with thousands of recipe tests / comments like "takes twice as long to cook" "great with a squeeze of lemon" etc. Obvs some comments are from bad cooks but if you see more than one person with a problem that validates it a bit. You can search the group for a recipe you're trying to validate or just search for ingredients. Some recipes are available on the web if you don't own the book.

The author of the month usually stops by to answer questions, which is neat. Kenji was helpful and friendly in that context.

I'm an admin on the group, so let me know if you join and have any questions the pinned post doesn't answer.

There's also a baking club, if that's your jam.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Welp, joined the FB group. Little old time gws Easter egg if you see my request lol

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Dave is cool as hell, but Kenji is Also still a cool dude. Hell, a bunch of you do things which I, the ultimate arbiter of good taste, don't like, and I still like you guys.

One day you will learn to love Cincinnati Chili Wiggles, so help me.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

kenji’s two articles on making hard-boiled eggs are great and I use his method every time now

honestly wrt recipes that aren’t in Mastering The Art Of French Cooking, the Better Homes And Gardens New Cook Book, the America’s Test Kitchen book, or Julia And Jacque Cooking At Home, I meander through search results until I find something that looks like what I’m looking for. If I’m looking to min/max some single process I almost invariably end up at The Food Lab anyway, but I’ve found recipes I’ve liked and used repeatedly from all over. food blogs, food network’s website, epicurious, even a local radio station website and hillbillyhousewife.com. BUT (and this is key) I copy-paste every single one I use into a .txt or .rtf before I use it and save it indefinitely even if I only use it once. I never have to do the thing where you try to retrace your own search engine meanderings. if I make it a second time, I move it into the made-more-than-once folder and start adding notes at the bottom. entire pages usually copy-paste into an rtf fine, including with images, and most food blogs have a printer-friendly page that copy-pastes even better.

keeping a digital recipe book is easy and takes effectively zero disk space. I think ten years of cooking has netted like a dozen megs of .txt’s and .rtf’s

for irl stuff (grandma’s recipes, a co-worker’s pointers, whatever), I take pictures or notes with my phone and save those in an accompanying folder and usually transcribe them later if I make them more than once.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

GrAviTy84 posted:

Welp, joined the FB group. Little old time gws Easter egg if you see my request lol

drat, another admin must've approved you last night. Only 3 requests this morning who answered the new member questions, and all 3 of them were "yes" or "ok". I probably wouldn't have even understood your Easter egg; I'm a GWS newbie :shobon:

OMGVBFLOL posted:

keeping a digital recipe book is easy and takes effectively zero disk space. I think ten years of cooking has netted like a dozen megs of .txt’s and .rtf’s

I might start doing this. I use https://www.pepperplate.com since I really like having every recipe in the same format, but it's far from perfect. It has a bookmark tool to add recipes but sometimes it thinks it automatically got the details but when I open the recipe it only got title and picture, no ingredients or directions. Fine if I notice it, otherwise bleh.

Its search function sometimes misses obvious matches, too, so I think I'll start slooowly migrating recipes to my computer, but still use pepperplate as a go-between to standardize the formatting. I still never migrated 100% of my recipes from keeprecipe, that slow piece of poo poo.

Your method is nicely future-proof, too.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

BrianBoitano posted:

I think Milkstreet is actually really good, the recipes are well researched and stuff I’ve never heard of before. Definitely NOT flavorless, as that’s exactly why Kimball left CI. Most of the serious articles are ethnic stuff where the writer was in [country] for [a week to a month] and then went to find the most authentic [thing] and wrote up how it was made and the best way to re-create it at home. It’s the polar opposite of CI these days.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

BrianBoitano posted:

drat, another admin must've approved you last night. Only 3 requests this morning who answered the new member questions, and all 3 of them were "yes" or "ok". I probably wouldn't have even understood your Easter egg; I'm a GWS newbie :shobon:

It was for the "promise to play nice" question. I just said "Whirled peas is possible" or something similar. :goonsay:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Why isn't clotted cream more popular in the US? And by "more popular", really, I mean "a thing at all".

We made some on Saturday, chilled overnight, and had them with fresh baked cream biscuits for breakfast on Sunday. Holy poo poo, the amount of effort it took to make the clotted cream compared to how amazingly delicious it is absolutely blew me away. It's rich, sweet, buttery, silky, smooth...I just don't understand why it hasn't caught on here.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

The Midniter posted:

Why isn't clotted cream more popular in the US? And by "more popular", really, I mean "a thing at all".

We made some on Saturday, chilled overnight, and had them with fresh baked cream biscuits for breakfast on Sunday. Holy poo poo, the amount of effort it took to make the clotted cream compared to how amazingly delicious it is absolutely blew me away. It's rich, sweet, buttery, silky, smooth...I just don't understand why it hasn't caught on here.

Because clotted cream takes effort to make and sour cream is good enough for us heathens.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
What kind of monster spreads sour cream on biscuits with jam?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The Midniter posted:

Most folks probably never knew it was an option. What recipe did you use? EYB says it's in ATK the science of good cooking, so I'll at least give that one a try.

GrAviTy84 posted:

It was for the "promise to play nice" question. I just said "Whirled peas is possible" or something similar. :goonsay:
Haha I would've gotten that one. Odd that FB doesn't store / doesn't let you see question answers after approval.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Because the name is awful. "clotted" makes me think of bodily fluids... Same with "brown sauce", although I hate that, and I like clotted cream.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001
I use Paprika for my recipe book (I know others here do too). It's not free, but it's easy to use, hoovers the recipe I want directly from the website it's on, allows me to categorize however I want, and creates grocery lists from the recipe. It also syncs across devices (though I believe you have to pay separately for Mac/PC versions if you cross that divide).

I just need to be better at putting everything I use in there, since I occasionally still have to hunt through my browser history, or drag up old recipes from email.

My biggest issue with SeriousEats these days is that they've essentially become a dumb "listicle" site with most of their articles being the "here's 10 dumb simple recipes with spinach in them!" type. Their new, in-depth articles are much fewer and further between since Kenji started writing his first book.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

BrianBoitano posted:

Most folks probably never knew it was an option. What recipe did you use? EYB says it's in ATK the science of good cooking, so I'll at least give that one a try.

I followed the guidelines per Chef John of Food Wishes. Not really a recipe, per se, because it's so simple. Couldn't have been easier and goddamn is it ever delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

The Midniter posted:

Why isn't clotted cream more popular in the US?
because cream is super fatty and unhealthy *eats 2 lbs of hamburger*