Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm pretty certain pros are buying it for teams, but the window of upside opportunity is likely missed.

Then again, modern magic finance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

I have no idea if that deck is good or not but people really like it and the gameplay does seem pretty fun...

Any modern deck with a lot of basic lands seems to gain popularity pretty quickly if it even becomes remotely good. Taking turns did this as well.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What an obnoxious watermark

AlternateNu posted:

Hurray. Another 2-drop Merfolk lord.

:negative:
Doubt this makes its way to modern, though. Or am I off?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Another Huatli

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Tainen posted:

Another Huatli

That can get a lot of loyalty very quickly.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

AlternateNu posted:

Chandra isn’t $30 anymore.

Chandra and Scarab God cost the same, either you consider them both $30 cards or neither of them are.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I was able to trade Chandra and a handful of 3-5 dollar standard/modern cards for a Revised Wheel of Fortune the other day. Seemed like a good deal to get a Blue Chip cardboard rectangle.

Historically, how far ahead of rotation should one look to unload their Scarab God type cards to avoid it tanking to a dollar rare?

Look at the GP schedule to see when the standard events are and base them off that. Some people like to include pro tour too but nobody aside from those guys play in those events so I don't see why you should.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Tainen posted:

Another Huatli

Has potential I think, but doesn't protect itself, can come down with nothing to do besides +1 for nothing. Obviously you play it with creatures though. Might actually work well with the white vampire token generators.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Tainen posted:

Another Huatli

This set is going to have ZERO impact on standard if this is the power level of the cards...

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

So a better, uncommon, nekrataal? OK.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

quote:

Starving Paladin
1W
Creature - Vampire Knight
Starving Paladin doesn't untap during your untap step.

Whenever you gain life, untap Starving Paladin.

that vampire lord seems legit but the uncommons being consistently better than the rares in this set is kind of weird

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Katana Gomai posted:

Chandra and Scarab God cost the same, either you consider them both $30 cards or neither of them are.

Huh. Scarab God dropped more than I thought. Yeah, market price on God is $25 and Chandra is $26.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

good uncommons

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Why in the world is it so hard to find foil Izzet Staticasters?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Hurray. Another 2-drop Merfolk lord.

:negative:

to be fair i dont think there are many in standard at the moment

it's a shame it doesn't give merfolk trample or something green tho

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TWO EXPLORES

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

This looks like the horrible CG from the vaguely mesoamerican themed into level of might and magic 8.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Tainen posted:

Another Huatli

I could have sworn there was an enchantment that did this thing's ultimate but it turns out i was thinking of shaper's sanctuary. This might have a home in an elves deck except I think by the time it hits the board most of your hand is gone already.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

evilweasel posted:

I could have sworn there was an enchantment that did this thing's ultimate but it turns out i was thinking of shaper's sanctuary. This might have a home in an elves deck except I think by the time it hits the board most of your hand is gone already.

There are more powerful things you can be doing by the time you have mana for this in elves and most are producing infinite mana at that point.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

My favorite part of spoiler season is everyone trying to shove bad/marginal cards into already tuned modern decks.

Even LSV fell for it with Claim//Fame and Grixis Death's Shadow.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

They seem to be doing 2/2 two color lords for all the tribes, but I'm really glad for this. Think vampire tribal has a shot, and there's a bunch of stuff I'd like to fiddle around with in Modern.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I must be missing something, here +1 feels like it belongs on a PW with a repeatable -X loyalty ability. I guess the emblem is I guess fine, but after that she doesn't really seem to affect the table a ton. One fatty that needs to be chump-blocked or removed per turn? I like the boros Huatli better (which is still not that much) since she's crapping out good tokens and potentially breaking open a stalled board for your dinos to swing in and eat a dude.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 2, 2018

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

They seem to be doing 2/2 two color lords for all the tribes, but I'm really glad for this.

Doubt there's more than the two we've seen.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Whoa, this is the old school method of exile and associated flicker effects. Pretty exciting for EDH for anyone who loved deep analysis.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sickening posted:

There are more powerful things you can be doing by the time you have mana for this in elves and most are producing infinite mana at that point.

The primary issue Elves runs into is running out of gas which is where the emblem would come in. But I think by turn four all your creatures should be on the board so you'd prefer shaper's sanctuary because it's likely to get you more cards than this will, if you keep all your creatures on the board they should be dead, and if they're zapping your key guys you want cards from that instead of from new creatures. What I am wondering about though is if this would basically mean every time you draw anything but a land, you keep playing cards until you draw a land (since your only other non-creatures are probably chord/company which are gonna put creatures on the board anyway).

I don't think it will pan out but it would probably be worth testing out.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I must be missing something, here +1 feels like it belongs on a PW with a repeatable -X loyalty ability. I guess the emblem is I guess fine, but after that she doesn't really seem to affect the table a ton. One fatty that needs to be chump-blocked or removed per turn? I like the boros Huatli better (which is still not that much) since she's crapping out good tokens and potentially breaking open a stalled board for your dinos to swing in and eat a dude.

You know you can have more than one emblem, right?

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

M...memory jar???

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

This seems pretty good with perilous research, no clue if it's good enough though
E: Definitely pumped for someone to try it on MODO, screw up sequencing, and exile their hand plus two cards permanently though

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Procrastinator posted:

M...memory jar???

This doesn't get you a full new grip if you didn't already have one.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Procrastinator posted:

M...memory jar???

It's his little brother clearly.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Toshimo posted:

Every day is a school day for me here, in the Magic The Gathering thread. I had assumed (without basis, I realise now that I have been instructed otherwise) emblems were unique. Still not sure she'll find a home in standard but her card draw engine potential is ofc stronger now that I am aware of this. Thanks!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Toshimo posted:

I also did not realize that!

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Daring Buccaneer gives me some hope that we might get more good pirates/pirate tools and it may become a slightly viable tribal deck in Standard...

:laffo:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

InterrupterJones posted:

Daring Buccaneer gives me some hope that we might get more good pirates/pirate tools and it may become a slightly viable tribal deck in Standard...

:laffo:

I really like 1 mana 2/2 creatures in red. Saying that, the drawback of this card was a little steep. I honestly don't think it needed a drawback at this point.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sickening posted:

I really like 1 mana 2/2 creatures in red. Saying that, the drawback of this card was a little steep. I honestly don't think it needed a drawback at this point.

Red's been doing mostly just fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

Is it really that much of a drawback? There's quite a few good low cost pirates now. T1 buccaneer revealing Kari Zev or freebooter seems decent.