Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

darkpool posted:

I don't think a lot of members of this thread are capable of understanding their actions are counter productive, anything I say will just be twisted out of all proportion for the sake of being "right on the internet" regardless of how many people are driven to finding community in the alt-right because of it. Have fun bullying trans people in to the alt-right everybody.

the voice thing was transphobic bullshit, and so was your 'maybe hormones!!!' post
ya'll kind of lose any high ground doing that garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I think we should stop piling onto Kim now that we are kinda doing it.
I like her content a lot, she seems like a decent person p in all her content; but obviously something in this thread rubbed her the wrong way and she started digging in.
I don't agree with Shoe/Skeptic either and I don't wish to watch any of their content though but two adults finding love is always nice for people IMO.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's weird that we are the bullies but your the only person that insults people.

Dude, you've gotten proles probes for poking poo poo long after it's been shitted. If the argument is over, and Kim has confirmed she's done, then it's done.

lornekates fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 2, 2018

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

I Before E posted:

Todd did his worst of list. Maybe it's still up, idk

It's on Vimeo, so most likely, yeah. Not sure if it's gone public yet or not.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=vrVD88K94vo

Here it is!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The striking thing about those awful Taylor Swift songs is that they are legitimately the worst songs on the entire album. There are actually some really good songs on that album, too. Maybe nothing as good as "Style," but still some good poo poo. But wow, the two songs they decided to put out as the leading singles are just magnificently awful.

I guess the "I can't stop watching this train wreck" effect worked, though, because drat if "Look What You Made Me Do" wasn't everywhere for a while.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
The continued popularity and success of Taylor Swift is one of those things that make me quietly wonder if I've been deposited here from a very similar parallel dimension. Her singles didn't get worse, they're just equally bad in new and innovative ways.

New Butt Order fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 2, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I honestly don't get it. I also still don't understand how she managed to successfully pivot from teen country to pop while only gaining popularity and with at least 75% of her singles being truly awful.

That said, she does have good songs, and I'd understand her popularity if more of her songs were like "Style" or the less self-obsessed tracks from Reputation like "Don't Blame Me" or "Dress." It's just that almost every actual single annoys the poo poo out of me and makes me wonder how far out of the mainstream my music tastes really are. I do like pop music, so I feel like I can tell the difference between a pop song being bad and me just not liking the genre, but I dunno, maybe not.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
well off attractive white woman who sings incredibly generic 'my boyfriend was a jerk so I set his house on fire' faux-empowerment songs succeeds in pop music, world baffled.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also Taylor Swift just getting more and more omnipresent while Carly Rae Jepsen's releasing good as hell music and getting no radio play is extremely :argh:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, it's doing fine and has a few hundred million still to go.

I'm still not sure, but maybe I just bought too hard into the "The Last Jedi is a flop" narrative.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm still not sure, but maybe I just bought too hard into the "The Last Jedi is a flop" narrative.

it's doing well by every metric, the narrative was just bitter idiots making poo poo up

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Related question: when you see movie budgets reported, does that generally include marketing and distribution, or is it just the cost of producing the film itself?

Because that'll determine if TLJ is doing "very well" or "incredibly well."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I believe it's just production costs, since marketing tends to be so spread and vast it's hard to wrangle everything?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I think for all the stuff surrounding Taylor that he does have genuine talent, both to tap into attitudes on music and songwriting skill.
All her albums have a few songs that are genuinely great.

2018 will likely have Ariana4 and Carly 4 so it will be good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

Related question: when you see movie budgets reported, does that generally include marketing and distribution, or is it just the cost of producing the film itself?

Because that'll determine if TLJ is doing "very well" or "incredibly well."

If you go on Wikipedia and look at the infobox, I think it's usually just the production budget, which for TLJ is listed as $200 million. According to Wikipedia, TLJ needed to make $800 million to break even, which is higher than what I assumed was the received wisdom on the matter (i.e. that movies typically need to make back twice their budget to break even).

For instance, a pretty notorious example of an ostensibly successful movie being done in by its marketing costs is 1990's Dick Tracy, which was Disney's attempt to get their own Batman franchise. That's the highest-grossing movie of Warren Beatty's career, with a total of about $160 million against a budget of $46 million, but it doesn't factor in that the marketing for the movie was so enormous that the final budget ended up about $100 million altogether. So it was a hit, but it wasn't a success, so everyone assumes it was a bomb. (I really enjoy that movie, warts and all.)

You get some odd examples of movies that are notorious for being flops that actually did make money, though. Waterworld is a pretty infamous example of a career-destroying bomb for Kevin Costner (it was actually The Postman) but it was in the top ten highest-grossing movies the year it came out. I've seen Hook described as a flop and it was in the worldwide top five for 1991.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Blockbusters in the modern era also make a poo poo load of money back in tie in merch.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
EDIT: nvm, that convo is over.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Wheat Loaf posted:

You get some odd examples of movies that are notorious for being flops that actually did make money, though.

The Warcraft movie is another one of those that always jumps out at me, it's budget was like 160m and then it made 450m.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yardbomb posted:

The Warcraft movie is another one of those that always jumps out at me, it's budget was like 160m and then it made 450m.

I think it's sometimes a case of looking at how well movies do in North America compared with how they do overseas. I'm pretty sure that movie did flop in North America, but it did really well in China and elsewhere.

Fast and the Furious movies are the biggest action franchise going at the moment, but they do far better outside America than they do in it. F8's worldwide gross is $1.2 billion and it's the second highest grossing movie of the year right now, but America accounted for the .2 and the rest of the world was where it made the billion. Conversely, TLJ's takings are about 50/50 split between domestic and foreign.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

Most of that was international revenue, and it's my understanding that the studios get a much smaller cut of international revenue than domestic.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

Most of that was international revenue, and it's my understanding that the studios get a much smaller cut of international revenue than domestic.

Yeah. Especially China where the government takes a huge percentage it puts into its domestic film industry.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, a lot of it goes to the overseas distributors et al. The Mummy this year made back its budget outside America (in places where Tom Cruise's name on the poster is still enough to sell movies by itself) despite bombing outright domestically, but Universal didn't see most of that and that's why the Dark Universe is seemingly kaput.

Remember the Dark Universe? Have any Internet critic people done any reviews/videos about the unsuccessful cinematic universes that studios have tried since Avengers?

What's there been? Off the top of my head, there have been two attempts to do the Dark Universe (Dracula Untold and the Mummy; maybe three but I don't know what their intentions were regarding the Benicio Del Toro Wolfman movie, which I thought was pretty underrated), at least one DCEU false start (Green Lantern), King Arthur (the movie from last year), Robin Hood (the Russell Crowe movie directed by Ridley Scott), Transformers (the other King Arthur movie from last year), Amazing Spider-Man (which may or not still be happening) and Ghostbusters (the "Ghost Corps" brand).

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 2, 2018

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Wheat Loaf posted:

User ratings on RT and Metacritic are literally the only area where it's doing poorly

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Wheat Loaf posted:

What's there been? Off the top of my head, there have been two attempts to do the Dark Universe (Dracula Untold and the Mummy; maybe three but I don't know what their intentions were regarding the Benicio Del Toro Wolfman movie, which I thought was pretty underrated), at least one DCEU false start (Green Lantern), King Arthur (the movie from last year), Robin Hood (the Russell Crowe movie directed by Ridley Scott), Transformers (the other King Arthur movie from last year), Amazing Spider-Man (which may or not still be happening) and Ghostbusters (the "Ghost Corps" brand).

Don't forget the Power Rangers reboot, which they started planning things up to something like the sixth film or whatever of before even finishing the first one. That sure was time well spent.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Augus posted:

User ratings on RT and Metacritic are literally the only area where it's doing poorly

The only time I've found user reviews to be useful is if a movie is poorly received by critics for being a genre flick of some variety, so it's not a GOOD film, but it's a FUN film if you're into the genre.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Dragonatrix posted:

Don't forget the Power Rangers reboot, which they started planning things up to something like the sixth film or whatever of before even finishing the first one. That sure was time well spent.

To be fair that movie was at least good

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

it's doing well by every metric, the narrative was just bitter idiots making poo poo up

Marketing ties revenue very closely with how a film is promoted as well, so there’s crazy incentive to break records or perform according to really specific metrics. And there are inflated expectations for profits that come with dumping tremendous amounts of money into big movies. But I’d imagine it’s generating enough of a return for Disney to give the next one a big budget and to continue pumping out a Star War every year for a while longer.

The Han Solo one would have to try very hard not to be cliche poo poo and it doesn’t look like they tried super hard, so that might be the canary for eternal star war.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dragonatrix posted:

If you don’t do that in this economic environment, investors probably freak out or start asking questions.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The power rangers reboot movie was the best episode of a CW show that money can buy.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The power rangers movie was fantastic and I will bonk you over the head with my 150 dollar red ranger power sword toy I bought as a 30 year old man if you disagree

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Terrible Opinions posted:

The power rangers reboot movie was the best episode of a CW show that money can buy.

I would, no joke, watch the poo poo out of the CW’s Power Rangers. Because when it comes to superhero shows, the CW has been on loving point (...this year, at least). The big superhero media news story of the late fall was “How the CW made a better Justice League than Justice League” with their Crisis on Earth-X crossover special.

So gently caress yeah, sign me up for another mid-budget show of attractive yet non threatening young people fighting evil with dodgy CGI and lots of establishing shots of other North American cities to try and disguise the fact that it’s all shot in Vancouver.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I know people said that movie was """good""" but it looked really stupid.

Like, if there's anything you'd want to rip the gently caress off of Gaurdians of the Galaxy in every way for - have some characters who are quippy and also have feelings to talk about, have loads of colors and visuals borrowed from psychadelic sci-fi, have a throwback soundtrack to the 90's... it's when you have a this loving property, which was an unholy blend of live action dinosaur mecha anime and a 90's teen sitcom and making the perfect thing for 6 year olds at the time.

It's called Power Rangers. You can't say the name out loud with a straight face. Just... OWN it. No one is going to buy a ticket to this if it looks dreary and serious. What do you think people would go to a Power Rangers movie for if not to have fun.

Maybe I'll see it at some point. It sounds worse than Rogue One or Snyderverse movies. I doubt I'll like it, but I might need to just to see why people tried to be charitable with it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Because when it comes to superhero shows, the CW has been on loving point (...this year, at least).

Disagree hard, personally. I tried to get into The Flash but holy poo poo the CW relationship drama stuff weighs it down soooooo much. Every scene in the coffee shop is bad. The show would be 100x better if it just focused on The Flash and not Barry Allen's Love Life.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

WampaLord posted:

Disagree hard, personally. I tried to get into The Flash but holy poo poo the CW relationship drama stuff weighs it down soooooo much. Every scene in the coffee shop is bad. The show would be 100x better if it just focused on The Flash and not Barry Allen's Love Life.

Of course you picked the weakest possible choice :rolleyes:

Watch Legends of Tomorrow and enjoy the madness. Jeez.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQOFD_gEG_U

2017 Power Rangers movie is good.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I actually really liked Flash S1. I really like the bits where Barry just uses his super speed to do mundane poo poo like get pizza from that one really good place 3 states down.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

I actually really liked Flash S1. I really like the bits where Barry just uses his super speed to do mundane poo poo like get pizza from that one really good place 3 states down.

Honestly, I liked a lot about it, particularly all the stuff with Dr. Wells, but then I got to S2 and it seems like the relationship stuff time is increasing and the Flash stuff is getting worse.

nine-gear crow posted:

Of course you picked the weakest possible choice :rolleyes:

Watch Legends of Tomorrow and enjoy the madness. Jeez.

I'll take a look, thanks :D

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

WampaLord posted:

I'll take a look, thanks :D

Start on Season 2.

That cannot be emphasized enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

WampaLord posted:

Honestly, I liked a lot about it, particularly all the stuff with Dr. Wells, but then I got to S2 and it seems like the relationship stuff time is increasing and the Flash stuff is getting worse.

Oh OK, I never watched S2.

• Locked thread