Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Both the new specials are really, really good, much better than the last two. Equanimity is more of a pure stand-up set, Bird Revelation feels a bit more off the cuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

GraPar posted:

Both the new specials are really, really good, much better than the last two. Equanimity is more of a pure stand-up set, Bird Revelation feels a bit more off the cuff.

Equanimity was the one I watched.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i tried watching the first of the two new specials but i had to turn it off once i realized he was vaping on stage

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Dave has always smoked on stage for like the last decade are you new

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Well he used to chain smoke on stage so it's an improvement on that.

I hope your mom was available to comfort you after seeing such a horrible thing as that though.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

bango skank posted:

i tried watching the first of the two new specials but i had to turn it off once i realized he was vaping on stage

That's loving badass.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
vaping looks stupid if you want to smoke just smoke

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

What if people did whatever the gently caress they want and didn’t give a poo poo what some jerkoff on something awful thinks

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Listen Dave, it's noting personal, you're a funny guy. I just think vaping makes you look stupid.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

No one gives a poo poo what you think that’s the point.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Also perhaps he'd rather not smoke but he capes as an alternative to the process

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Maybe he does it because some venues don't let him smoke on stage, and it's just easier to consistently vape than to roll the dice on whether he can smoke or not.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I was excited to see some new posts in this thread and hoped for some recommendations.
Turns out we're arguing about vaping. I guess I'm just as bad as I don't have any recommendations.
just listened to an album of Kyle Kinane, which was ok, but nothing spectacular either.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Who gives a poo poo whether or not it was good, was Kyle vaping?

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
I liked the new special but for some reason some rear end in a top hat in the crowd decided to try to get a hit off his vape. I loving hate hecklers but especially when it's being filmed.

Also, I watched the new Todd Barry and it feels like more of the same, which is not bad but if you don't like him already, you might not care about it. There's something about his delivery that just really.makes me laugh, even if the joke sucks.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

GoldfishStew posted:

Who gives a poo poo whether or not it was good, was Kyle vaping?

Hard to tell with just the audio, but let's assume he was.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
outside vapeing on my 4 wheeler

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I just don't want anybody to walk in, see me watching a vaping comic, then think I like vaping

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

No one is visiting you.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
gently caress now i'm worried that looks like my actual opinion

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
its ok everyone. dave vapes on one special and smokes cigarettes on the other one. watch both theyre good

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
if he wasn't a coward he'd vape while smoking

Heavy Hands
Jan 1, 2006

Helmut
the
Mysterion
i heard there's a hidden dvd special where he does snus

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
i'm gonna start vaping crack

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I’m listening to a mort sahl compilation. It’s great to listen to political stand up in a time when Kennedy was in power and the Cuban missile crisis was about to happen.
Also kinda sad how little stand up evolved. He has an airplane/airport bit that’s pretty good. And appart from the somewhat sexist remarks about air hostesses sounds fresher than the million guys that used it after him.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

I don't know how the SA Comedy Congnoscenti feel about Tom Segura and the rest of that circle of LA comics, but Tom's new Netflix special is up and is pretty good. Podcast superfans are sorta the worst so some of the YMH podcast memes pop up and elicit a groan here and there, but overall the special is real solid. I'll have to rewatch his previous ones to see how they stack up.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I'm a big fan of Tom Segura (well, at least his standup. I hate Your Mom's House for some reason, but enjoy him on other podcasts) and enjoyed the new special, but I don't think it's his best work. I think his first Netflix special is my favorite of his. His first two albums were also pretty great.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

XIII posted:

I'm a big fan of Tom Segura (well, at least his standup. I hate Your Mom's House for some reason, but enjoy him on other podcasts) and enjoyed the new special, but I don't think it's his best work. I think his first Netflix special is my favorite of his. His first two albums were also pretty great.

I tried out a few episode a couple years ago, the corny intro song and all the sound bytes/audio drops made it sound like a morning zoo radio show. I thought I wasnt going to get into it. Then the very next episode was a Yoshi Obayashi episode and I had to pull over to laugh

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I think Tom Segura is my favorite stand up comedian.

I like Your Mom's House

I love him being the foil for Bert Kreischer all the time.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Haverchuck posted:

I tried out a few episode a couple years ago, the corny intro song and all the sound bytes/audio drops made it sound like a morning zoo radio show. I thought I wasnt going to get into it. Then the very next episode was a Yoshi Obayashi episode and I had to pull over to laugh

I want to like YMH, but I just can't get into it.

\/\/JRE is what got me into Bert and Bert got me into Tom

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Slotducks posted:

I think Tom Segura is my favorite stand up comedian.

I like Your Mom's House

I love him being the foil for Bert Kreischer all the time.

He's in my current top ten probably. YMH is consistently really loving funny, just some of the fans regurgitating memes all the time gets real tired. Bert is a lovable guy who tries way too loving hard, but he's living a charmed life and has found a perfect foil in Tom Segura. Without Tom I'm not sure too many people would care about Bort Crunchler

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Gramps posted:

He's in my current top ten probably. YMH is consistently really loving funny, just some of the fans regurgitating memes all the time gets real tired. Bert is a lovable guy who tries way too loving hard, but he's living a charmed life and has found a perfect foil in Tom Segura. Without Tom I'm not sure too many people would care about Bort Crunchler

I do like that at one point they had to have a quick segment on one of their shows a while ago gently reminding fans that they shouldnt shout stuff about Hitler at their standup shows

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer
Some guy while in line to be seated at a comedy club tonight: *points to picture of Carlos Mencia* "That dude is really funny but he gets too political"

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
I've never listened to the sphere of podcasts on which Segura appears, but all the specials I've seen of his have been five-star outings, but I'd call the most recent one a 3.5 ... It was still good but I didn't get as many hard blurt laughs as I have out of his previous specials, and there were a couple of moments where I was like "this is really close to Louis CK" such as the "you can still use white racial slurs" bit.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I just watched a couple Segura clips & he's really good

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
The Todd Glass "Act Happy" special on Netflix is great too. It's so similar to his podcast. I loving love it but people who don't know his style (and his podcast) might be a bit lost.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Popelmon posted:

The Todd Glass "Act Happy" special on Netflix is great too. It's so similar to his podcast. I loving love it but people who don't know his style (and his podcast) might be a bit lost.

Todd Glass is a super nice dude. I run a venue for a yearly comedy festival and he had a handful of shows there. He had a short list of special requests for all his shows, which would typically be annoying, but he was incredibly nice in how he went about asking and helped setup/breakdown the things he requested. When he was just hanging out in the venue, he would always ask how the shows were going and chit-chat instead of just spending the entire time in the green room. A few weeks later, he emailed me directly (he got my email from the festival director) to thank me. Sometimes you meet comics who act like they're better than the staff/volunteers, so it meant a lot that he took the time to be so kind. Little things like that really speak volumes about someone's character.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

XIII posted:

Todd Glass is a super nice dude. I run a venue for a yearly comedy festival and he had a handful of shows there. He had a short list of special requests for all his shows, which would typically be annoying, but he was incredibly nice in how he went about asking and helped setup/breakdown the things he requested. When he was just hanging out in the venue, he would always ask how the shows were going and chit-chat instead of just spending the entire time in the green room. A few weeks later, he emailed me directly (he got my email from the festival director) to thank me. Sometimes you meet comics who act like they're better than the staff/volunteers, so it meant a lot that he took the time to be so kind. Little things like that really speak volumes about someone's character.

Reading this makes me really happy. I think finding out that Todd Glass is an rear end in a top hat would destroy me. He is like the Keanu Reeves of comedy for me.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Apparently Kyle Kinane has a Netflix 1/2 hour(?) coming out sometime soon. He was lamenting about how lovely it is on the newest episode of his podcast. I'm sure it's gonna be great cause he's never let me down before. Even the podcast when he's wasted and totally mailing it in is still pretty much always great. Hell, the halfassed improv-ed ads they do at the beginning of the podcast every week are funnier than most other podcasts. (The Boogie Monster for those not in the know)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I've yet to be disappointed by him, he's super self critical so I don't doubt he genuinely has things he's not happy with about it but unless it's just 30 minutes of dead silence and an empty stage I'm PROBABLY gonna dig it.