Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The guy who signed an executive order getting rid of DACA trying to frame himself as it's defender is a special kind of crazy.

i mean he's also sabotaging the ACA while telling people he'll fix healthcare. republicans, man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Krispy Wafer posted:

Obviously the very best Secret Service guards the current President, so it's kind of funny to see the guys who protect ex-Presidents. Like one of Jimmy Carter's detail looks like the fat cop in Beverly Hills Cop. I'm sure he could still kill me seven times over, but he's not going to look good doing it.

The further out you get from the Oval Office the worst they must get. Obama still has top notch security, but Betty Ford probably had Nic Cage.

That’s probably how he had such easy access to Independence Hall

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Hell yeah if Ghost Rider was my bodyguard

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Obviously the very best Secret Service guards the current President, so it's kind of funny to see the guys who protect ex-Presidents. Like one of Jimmy Carter's detail looks like the fat cop in Beverly Hills Cop. I'm sure he could still kill me seven times over, but he's not going to look good doing it.

The further out you get from the Oval Office the worst they must get. Obama still has top notch security, but Betty Ford probably had Nic Cage.

Iirc Carter was actually the first president to have a SS detail after leaving office. It used to be that you only had protection as long as you were the sitting president.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Krispy Wafer posted:

Guarding Tess was great movie!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

This may be my favorite Trump tweet of all time

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

jojoinnit posted:

Iirc Carter was actually the first president to have a SS detail after leaving office. It used to be that you only had protection as long as you were the sitting president.

There was also an interval where SS protection only lasted for 10 years after leaving office, but Obama restored it to lifetime.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Ronald Reagan's SS guard was a hundred year old blind dog.

He never noticed.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The guy who signed an executive order getting rid of DACA trying to frame himself as it's defender is a special kind of crazy.

He (delusionally, let's hope) thinks words or truth have no consequence.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I thought HENRY was High-Expectations, Not Rich Yet.

Nope

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Go into the democrats are a waste thread, attacking democrats over DACA is a huge thing, trump isn't trying to present any position, just sow that seed. Same way he was always a huge bernie sanders supporter in tweets. It was nonsensical as a position but it wasn't a position, it was just yanking on easy to yank threads in the enemy camp.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ummmmm am I wrong in thinking that he's not 'their president' unless they actually become citizens, which he and the republicans are actively, proudly, and fiercely working to prevent at all costs?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Tayter Swift posted:

Plus, it was worldwide and not just in the United States.

I'm pretty sure airlines in the United States had multiple years with no fatalities under Obama. Flying is crazy safe these days. Cue a 12 page discussion on using drones instead of people.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I thought HENRY was High-Expectations, Not Rich Yet.

You're thinking of the GENRYs

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Tayter Swift posted:

Someone tell him that there have also been 0 asteroid/meteorite deaths as well in 2017 and see if he claims it for himself.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Has he done anything in this regard that he could even vaguely take credit for? I don't mean "Was Trump actually responsible for airline safety?" because that's obviously stupid and wrong. My question is, is there a thing he actually did that he wants us to think resulted in this improvement?

Is it just the travel ban that was barely ever even in effect between court smackdowns? Or is it just his basic "Trump is magic, good thing equals me" belief?

dbukalski
Nov 9, 2017

YOSPOS

RandomBlue posted:

There's not a single solution anyone in this thread is going to come up with that will ever make it's way to someone with the power to actually do something or that will ever see the light of day except through multiple discovery/origination. So by all means, continue the impotent verbal slap fights to stoke your superiority complexes.

thats not true. Discussions amongst liberals, wherever they may happen, can work their way up the food chain until it reaches the top echelon democrats.

But first we need to iron out what solutions are best. Then have a clear message that we take to our other liberal social circles until the idea spreads

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

TheNewt posted:

E.G. Never.

Please. Name the last state that raised property taxes or any taxes for that matter at state level.

California's amendment completely limiting property taxes being raised has passed sooner than that.

Gov Dayton and the DFL instituted a new top 9.85% rate in 2013. Just because California is broken by their tax revolt amendments doesn't mean that every other state is.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Robot Hobo posted:

Has he done anything in this regard that he could even vaguely take credit for? I don't mean "Was Trump actually responsible for airline safety?" because that's obviously stupid and wrong. My question is, is there a thing he actually did that he wants us to think resulted in this improvement?

Is it just the travel ban that was barely ever even in effect between court smackdowns? Or is it just his basic "Trump is magic, good thing equals me" belief?

The FAA is a part of the U.S. Department of Transportation and as such falls under the Executive Branch I think.

No, he's done nothing at all to make airlines any safer or less safe, but technically if planes were falling out of the sky we'd be blaming Trump so Trump gets credit when planes don't fall out of the sky.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Robot Hobo posted:

He "was strict", can't you read

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
A normal president would have Tweeted something like "Wonderful news that there were no commercial airline casualties worldwide in 2017. Congratulations to the airlines and all the dedicated people who work there!" But Trump is extraordinarily mentally defective. If it isn't about him, it doesn't exist.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Robot Hobo posted:

You know in your heart what the answer is.

The last commercial passenger fatality in America was in 2009, when, presumably, Obama failed to be very strict on Commercial aviation. That'll teach him!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Tayter Swift posted:

https://twitter.com/DanielRTurner/status/948236759330148352

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-42531482

Ten of the victims were US citizens, along with the Costa Rican pilot and co-pilot. Local media said five victims came from a single family.

The Nature Air single-propeller Cessna 208 Caravan was travelling from the capital San José to the resort of Punta Islita, the CRhoy website reported.

There were no survivors. It was unclear what caused the crash.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Ten of the victims were US citizens, along with the Costa Rican pilot and co-pilot. Local media said five victims came from a single family.

The Nature Air single-propeller Cessna 208 Caravan was travelling from the capital San José to the resort of Punta Islita, the CRhoy website reported.

Killary strikes again.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The news story that Trump was referring to was only about big, commercial jets, not small planes or private planes. The "lying" only comes in when Trump claims to have anything to do with this whatsoever.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Violence got you every right you hold dear folks.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

BarbarianElephant posted:

The news story that Trump was referring to was only about big, commercial jets, not small planes or private planes. The "lying" only comes in when Trump claims to have anything to do with this whatsoever.

What makes it funny is that Trump is making GBS threads on the victims’ of said crashed families by not recognizing that small planes are included in commercial flights, as well as the fact that the situation at the White House is so dire that they’re literally listing other peoples’ efforts (and good luck to boot) as accomplishments for him to brag over, as he has literally nothing else good happening under his presidency.

Between the “investigate Mueller” tweets and now this, it looks like he’s backed into a wall and now facing the reality that he is pee-pee and doo-doo and the worst president.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Small planes fall out of the sky all the time. There's no way you're going to go a week, much less a month without a liddle plane fatality. Sad.

Small plane crashes are brutal. You can have an airliner blow up and maybe one or two family members are on it, but rarely everyone. These small plane crashes where a whole family is wiped out are heartbreaking.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The origin of HENRY becoming widespread is the Millionaire Next Door. It had been in use before the book but the book is sort of where the term starts becoming widespread.

20 years ago, 1996. So we probably have some conversation participants, who are too young to know this.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Last night I dreamt that I was held hostage by the Nigerian President, who then shot me in the jugular and left me to die. Except I didn't, and weakly trodded through the rest of the dream for five hours with a nasty scar on my throat, after hearing that Nigeria later got bombed to poo poo.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
This is bothersome

https://twitter.com/AriBerman/status/948214375122395137

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Krispy Wafer posted:

Small planes fall out of the sky all the time. There's no way you're going to go a week, much less a month without a liddle plane fatality. Sad.

Small plane crashes are brutal. You can have an airliner blow up and maybe one or two family members are on it, but rarely everyone. These small plane crashes where a whole family is wiped out are heartbreaking.

Tiny plane crashes seem to be about the #1 cause of premature death for the rich. If you ever get into the guillotine-worthy class, never accept a trip on a rich man's little plane, particularly if he's piloting it himself.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Wark Say posted:

Only if said anime is either Log Horizon or Spice & Wolf.

The US tax situation, as explained by Kill La Kill

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The outfit really is something

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/948171536736940033

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

meanwhile he's spent $96M in taxpayer money, probably a non-small chunk of which went straight to trump properties

e: you changed the tweet you monster

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Alter Ego posted:

Would that be before or after you sell their families to zoos for meat, you arrogant, lying orange manchild?

Talk about lowering expectations; now, all Trump needs to do to look 'better than expected' is to not "sell their families to zoos"

Amusingly, politicians actually pay people to spin like that.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

The "lying" only comes in when Trump claims to have anything to do with this whatsoever.

https://twitter.com/HashtagGriswold/status/948196751869136897

https://twitter.com/JamesPMorrison/status/948201496381767680

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Since taking office I have majorly increased America's anti tiger rock stock. Good news - it was just reported that there were Zero tigers spotted in 2017, the best and safest year on record!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Some rich guy flew his plane, and a few passengers into a house in Maryland recently and managed to kill a mom and two kids while the dad and one kid watched the house burn. Civil Aviation seems full of this stuff.

• Locked thread