Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

ozmunkeh posted:

If it's any consolation, they're almost always terrible people. The kind of semi-successful professional who has a third ownership of an old Bonanza through their law practice or paying out the rear end for their SR22. Doing anything for them is a nightmare because they're just So. drat. Important. It's no surprise that they go down so often because the pilots are always right about everything. Stall warning? Pfft, I know how to fly this thing. Doesn't the plane know who I am? The kind of people who see a FIKI bullet point on the features list and think they don't have to worry about the weather. You see the same kind of thing when roads get icy, it's always the dipshits in their 4x4 trucks that line the shoulders.

There's just something about GA pilots that make them think they're special.

Oh sure. Owning a plane does something weird to your brain. I was debating Trump with a friend of mine who has a pilots’ license and it ends up a huge chunk of his admiration for Trump is wrapped up in DJT owning a 747. Like that makes him competent. I had to remind him John Travolta owns a 707 and no one takes his advice on anything.

Mans ability to take to the sky’s was a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

PT6A posted:

I think rich/famous pilots are particularly dangerous for themselves and their passengers, unfortunately. They presume that their general untouchability and protection from failure in everyday life somehow extends to the laws of physics and the weather, and it obviously does not.

Small planes aren't incredibly unsafe, but you absolutely need to recognize the limits of the aircraft and the limits of your ability as a pilot, and it seems that a lot of rich people really don't like accepting those limits.

Additionally my understanding is that while the FAA is usually pretty quick to lay down the law if you gently caress up, the sort of people who have a private aircraft hobby are also the sort of people who will shamelessly pull all sorts of strings to get out of trouble.

The poster child is Sen Jim Inhofe (R-OK) who landed his dual engine Cessna on a runway which he knew was closed and which was covered with construction equipment and workers. He kept his loving license by agreeing to "remedial training".

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I didn’t know like 2000 bucks extra a year was considered a massive tax cut for the middle class.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Azhais posted:

Guillotine line order:

The 1%
People who want to guillotine lawyers
Anyone who self identifies as a politician
Anyone that's ever used the term HENRY
Actual HENRYs

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Azhais posted:

Guillotine line order:

goons

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

PT6A posted:

I think rich/famous pilots are particularly dangerous for themselves and their passengers, unfortunately. They presume that their general untouchability and protection from failure in everyday life somehow extends to the laws of physics and the weather, and it obviously does not.

Small planes aren't incredibly unsafe, but you absolutely need to recognize the limits of the aircraft and the limits of your ability as a pilot, and it seems that a lot of rich people really don't like accepting those limits.

The storm scene from Wolf of Wall Street comes to my mind right now.

"Holy poo poo did you see that plane?.....It exploded when a seagulll got sucked into the engine.? 3 People killed coming to get me."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Shifty Pony posted:

Additionally my understanding is that while the FAA is usually pretty quick to lay down the law if you gently caress up, the sort of people who have a private aircraft hobby are also the sort of people who will shamelessly pull all sorts of strings to get out of trouble.

Yes and no. Compared with driving, I think there are fewer ways you're likely to get in trouble for minor poo poo, but they will Not gently caress Around when it comes to significant breaches of the applicable laws or anything that significantly compromises safety.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Office Pig posted:

Well they also refused to investigate that oh so mysterious murder of that one Baltimore cop who was preparing to serve as a witness (for ‘reasons’) so yes I would safely wager FBI bad.

I thought it was the locals refused to let the FBI in

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Azhais posted:

Guillotine line order:

The Earth.

Just the whole loving thing.

Right in half.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TheScott2K posted:

There is always always always some stupid poo poo that happened to Trump in the 80s

https://twitter.com/danwlin/status/948245502835003392

Uuhghh this story

Dementia or no dementia, he's always had this shieldwall of mystical protection floating around him where even when he fucks up spectacularly and everyone writes books about how much they hate him, somehow he still comes out gold plated and smelling like roses.

Is this what it's like when some moron rubs a genie lamp and wishes for eternal luck?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/948256620093558784

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Rigel posted:

To be more specific, its a person or family who earn a fuckton of money every year (generally $200k+) but are whining about how their taxes shouldn't go up because they aren't rich because of reasons.

What if I'm a higher earner who believes I should pay more taxes?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Data Graham posted:

Uuhghh this story

Dementia or no dementia, he's always had this shieldwall of mystical protection floating around him where even when he fucks up spectacularly and everyone writes books about how much they hate him, somehow he still comes out gold plated and smelling like roses.

Is this what it's like when some moron rubs a genie lamp and wishes for eternal luck?

Nah just America as usual. Most people born into wealth are idiots and gently caress ups, it's just that with enough money none of it matters.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Oh yeah that's the stuff.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

BardoTheConsumer posted:

Being bothered that your taxes are being raised solely for the sake of providing your boss with a cut makes you a wicked HENRY for whom a quick death is the only true mercy

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

TheScott2K posted:

Being bothered that your taxes are being raised solely for the sake of providing your boss with a cut makes you a wicked HENRY for whom a quick death is the only true mercy

gently caress my boss though. Tax him to death.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Glazier posted:

Nah just America as usual. Most people born into wealth are idiots and gently caress ups, it's just that with enough money none of it matters.

Even most born wealthy people don't have the same sort of teflon shield as Trump. People are happy to take the money of a rich moron as long as he has any, but not usually happy to give him money once he's proved utterly incompetent.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

BardoTheConsumer posted:

Then obviously, by definition, you are not a HENRY, and we have no problem with you.

The issue is rich people trying to explain to us they aren't really rich, and not only do they not need a tax increase, they'd like a tax cut just to help make ends meet because that vacation home is really loving expensive.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Only works for people who aren't actually administration figures though

Rigel posted:

Then obviously, by definition, you are not a HENRY, and we have no problem with you.

The issue is rich people trying to explain to us they aren't really rich, and not only do they not need a tax increase, they'd like a tax cut just to help make ends meet because that vacation home is really loving expensive.

Well, that's how the issue starts out, anyway. Then people get worked up and talk past each other and don't read posts and assume the worst possible faith and the whole thing just accomplishes nothing except making everyone's day mildly shittier.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

ffs, shoulda been permabanned

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

TheScott2K posted:

This is both wrong, and a stupid post.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Angry_Ed posted:

I don't think the FBI is responsible for the US Attorney's Office saying "lol nah we're not prosecuting this guy", and the FBI isn't allowed to hold someone indefinitely if the prosecutors decline to charge. While it's a valid complaint that the FBI didn't do enough, the question becomes what could they have done and more importantly, if the SF office can't bring local charges about something that happened in Massachusetts, maybe they should've worked with the Massachusetts office/Boston Office/whatever to do so in Massachusetts. I think blaming just the FBI for this is short-sighted however.

A woman was arrested and charged for laughing at Jeff Sessions.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Demiurge4 posted:

A woman was arrested and charged for laughing at Jeff Sessions.

And if she was arrested by the FBI maybe that would mean something but she wasn't. As terrible as it is it has literally nothing to do with what we're talking about here, which is that the FBI does not control the USAO despite several people in this thread trying to think that they do. What transpired is not the FBI's fault exclusively. It's a combination of the USAO refusing to do their jobs and the FBI not working with other regional offices to bring charges that they clearly should have been able to bring on a local level.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BarbarianElephant posted:

Even most born wealthy people don't have the same sort of teflon shield as Trump. People are happy to take the money of a rich moron as long as he has any, but not usually happy to give him money once he's proved utterly incompetent.

Trump seems to have the additional quality of "being a preening prima donna" on top of all the other rich people poo poo. So not only does he not know enough to operate in the shadows and through back channel dealings in order to grow his wealth, he does exactly the opposite: puts himself front and center, gilds his name in hundred foot high letters and runs for loving president

People would be happy to just let him be a secretive tycoon like Icahn or the Koches, but that's not his style, and people don't know how to deal with someone like him. The system would smack people down for being so visible, but so few people are that way, the natural forces that would make it happen seem to be backfiring through lack of use

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So it's 18 degrees in South Carolina today. That's normal.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Global warming?

Guess what libs...

...it's currently COLD OUTSIDE. :smug:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It's 3 degrees in Virginia but that's way up north so that's to be expected.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Data Graham posted:

"Trump always wins!" is a stupid narrative that isn't even true. He constantly fails at everything. I mean he "won" because he got it back when but he lost like 90% of his wealth over the 90s and kept it gone for like two decades. He's lost a ton of businesses, he lost tons of stuff in divorces. Like you can spin it like none of it counts or because he became president that negates all previous failures or something but trump is a loser who is not a magic always wins genine.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Nature's loving pissed off.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

And yet its 25 degrees in NY and the most pleasant day in what feel like a week. I'm thinking of going for a walk to get some fresh air.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It's obvious God started a new game of Civilization and checked the random climate option.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Alter Ego posted:

Global warming?

Guess what libs...

...it's currently COLD OUTSIDE. :smug:

It's currently forcast to be colder in Minneapolis than Barrow, AK on Thursday.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Why is she dressed like a Castlevania character?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Moatman posted:

Why is she dressed like a Castlevania character?

Cause Republicans are vampires

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I have a co-worker in Texas who had to use a hair dryer on her frozen pipes.

I do wonder if this cold snap will lower our overall temp averages enough to make a statistical difference.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

I have a co-worker in Texas who had to use a hair dryer on her frozen pipes.

I do wonder if this cold snap will lower our overall temp averages enough to make a statistical difference.

Isn't it unseasonably warm in every other part of the Earth?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Krispy Wafer posted:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It was 9 degrees earlier this morning and it's gonna be like this the entire week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The sooner we drop the phrase "global warming" and universally replace it with "global climate change", the better. If only because we get rid of those asinine strawmen arguments from idiots.

• Locked thread