Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
No but let's talk about quality in software. Not the ill-defined, overly broad problem set described in ZatAoMM.

How do you measure software quality? Two words: Customer Satisfaction.

How do you predict customer satisfaction during development and in the lead up to release?

1. Is it designed to do what your customers want? (did the leadership team get it right?)
2. Does it run without technical detriments to its design? (did the engineers/qa get it right?)
3. Does it make the customer feel empowered when they use it? (did the product team get it right?)

There are very well defined product/market metrics, technical metrics, and user engagement techniques that can accurately predict whether your software will be perceived as poo poo or not. It kind of goes without saying, most software companies don't use any them.

e: this is my catte. she is a quality catte.

Toops fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Hav posted:

One of them. I thought the whole 'quality' rabbit hole was fascinating; like a post hoc fallacy that was self-sustaining.

I'm a bit weird.

I lack the personal strength to rise above my environment so I'm resigned to laughing at the cognitive dissonances in others and finding a few things worth enjoying.

Toops posted:

How do you measure software quality? Two words: Customer Satisfaction.

The customer not knowing what they want is very zen.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.
The misPerception

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I'm up to almost 300 hours on R6: Siege :negative:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

alf_pogs posted:

I love eric roberts and think he is well overdue for a sort of tarantino revival piece but he is definitely not the most discerning when it comes to movie choices

Eric Roberts is a true professional. You pay him, he does his role, and he'll sell it, even if it's poo poo like "A Talking Cat!?!" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2511190/

Kind of like Mark Hamill.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
I think I'm gunna join the Diamond Frogs

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Mr.Tophat posted:

I think I'm gunna join the Diamond Frogs

Might as well my FLJK application has been in processing for years now.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Montoya is South African? I'm pretty sure you can only swat Americans, so what the gently caress is he going on about?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Toops posted:

I derive subjective enjoyment from the objective, classical dismantling of your subjective enjoyment.

I'm zen af.

You spent ten years _being_ the gently caress. That's commitment.

One happy circumstance of 2017 was finally learning how to spell 'Schadenfreude' without looking it up. Next; 'backpfeifengesicht'

Bofast posted:

Is that the ground combat rework I keep hearing about?

If I can't glass them from orbit, what's the point, really?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

XK posted:

Montoya is South African? I'm pretty sure you can only swat Americans, so what the gently caress is he going on about?

Not sure if he is from South Africa or not, but he lives in NC. Says so right there on his social media profiles. And he had posted a video of him going to CitizenCon 2016 from a NC airport.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Abuminable posted:

The misPerception

Do we even want to know what terrible movie this is?

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Thirsty Dog posted:

People claiming Elite is terrible or not actually a game are basically Reddit

I think you'll find that outside of Star Citizen, the only people who talk about how horrible Elite Dangerous is are people who have hundreds of hours of time played on their steam account, which is pretty much all you need to know about the game

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Not sure if he is from South Africa or not, but he lives in NC. Says so right there on his social media profiles. And he had posted a video of him going to CitizenCon 2016 from a NC airport.

NC = North Corea?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

EminusSleepus posted:

NC = North Corea?

New Cersey

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
gently caress ya'll hatin' on that E:D story, it was cool. Time to hatepledge!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

CrazyLoon posted:

gently caress ya'll hatin' on that E:D story, it was cool. Time to hatepledge!

Buy 20 gold anaconda skins stat

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Toops posted:

How do you predict customer satisfaction during development and in the lead up to release?

1. Is it designed to do what your customers want? (did the leadership team get it right?)
2. Does it run without technical detriments to its design? (did the engineers/qa get it right?)
3. Does it make the customer feel empowered when they use it? (did the product team get it right?)

These are good ones, but I think some important points are missing:

4. Can it be maintained at an acceptable cost and risk? (did the engineers actually do it right / are the key people still employed?)
5. Can it be extended and/or modified according to user expectations and at an acceptable cost? (did the architects get it right?)

I.e. technical debt.

Demos, prototypes and POCs often result in poor quality, when they are treated as the first step of an iterative development process, for a variety of reasons.

On the other hand a product which fails at 1 and 3 may end up great if the foundations are good, and the team manages to build on it.

Back when software was a shrink-wrapped product, technical debt was not the biggest issue. Companies could, and did, start over, when making new products. But in an age of SaaS, early access, DLC, micro-transactions, episodic content, and higher production costs, technical debt is only viable if you're looking for a quick score / acquisition / IPO.

A product with the level of technical debt obvious in Star Citizen is in big trouble, especially considering it's pre-alpha.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

D_Smart posted:

:yikes:

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I think you'll find that outside of Star Citizen, the only people who talk about how horrible Elite Dangerous is are people who have hundreds of hours of time played on their steam account, which is pretty much all you need to know about the game

ED has its up and down

And during the time sperg citizen was selling jpegs I was able to visit Sag A, got myself a python ship and was able to visit my favorite stars and Constellation.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

XK
Jul 9, 2001

D_Smart posted:

Oh, people here were talking about him being South African, and I did a quick Google to double check: there's posts from him about South African SC meet ups or some such poo poo.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

PederP posted:

These are good ones, but I think some important points are missing:

4. Can it be maintained at an acceptable cost and risk? (did the engineers actually do it right / are the key people still employed?)
5. Can it be extended and/or modified according to user expectations and at an acceptable cost? (did the architects get it right?)

I.e. technical debt.

Demos, prototypes and POCs often result in poor quality, when they are treated as the first step of an iterative development process, for a variety of reasons.

On the other hand a product which fails at 1 and 3 may end up great if the foundations are good, and the team manages to build on it.

Back when software was a shrink-wrapped product, technical debt was not the biggest issue. Companies could, and did, start over, when making new products. But in an age of SaaS, early access, DLC, micro-transactions, episodic content, and higher production costs, technical debt is only viable if you're looking for a quick score / acquisition / IPO.

A product with the level of technical debt obvious in Star Citizen is in big trouble, especially considering it's pre-alpha.

Yeah I totally agree. I guess IMO those are kind of inherent to point 2 (does it run without technical detriments to its design). Like, does everything seem fine to the user, but it runs so inefficiently that you need 1 server for every 3 concurrent users and drown yourself with hosting costs? That's a detriment to the design, provided the need to support more than 3 concurrent users is in the design. Or, is the code so messy that when you try to add anything, the god drat poo poo won't compile until you refactor 32 classes? That's a detriment to the design, provided that adding features (extensibility) is in the design and there's a business need for it.

edit:

PederP posted:

IMO quality is assessed at a moment in time. If it fails 1 or 3, quality is low. Sure, you could make it better later, and that's precisely what you should do. But assuming the foundations are good when it doesn't meet customer's needs is very dangerous, because significant changes to the feature requirements can necessitate a re-architecture, even if your original architecture was good.

Toops fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 2, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

People who get sick of a game after >100 hours and start grinding about how it's a super lovely game because they could only literally play it for 5 days straight before getting tired of it just seem like stupid people to me. "I spent >100 hours in this game before I stopped having fun!!!" *buys the next generic fps, finishes and shelves it in 4-8 hours*

Also, my older brother visited today and his kids tried out VR. Did a couple loops in il-2, then moved on to roomscale minecraft. The reaction to minecraft, which they also have at home was, and I quote, "this is so much easier than playing on a computer". :3:

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

I have an rear end load of time logged on Fallout 4 but I can assure you that 98% of that time was spent trying to find the fun and moving chairs around in a PTSD stupor.

EminusSleepus posted:

ED has its up and down

Is this a commentary on subjective views of quality

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I don't know why people accuse me of doxxing, it's something I simply don't do.

Anyway, have a look at these family holiday photos I dug up of this latest clown who's arguing with me on the internet

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

It takes 100 hours in ED to realize you've been space trucking for 100 hours and still don't have 1/10th of what you need to buy the ship you want.

The sound design is poo poo hot though.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Lack of Gravitas posted:

I don't know why people accuse me of doxxing, it's something I simply don't do.

Anyway, have a look at these family holiday photos I dug up of this latest clown who's arguing with me on the internet

If you're going to take this thread head on and you don't slip an anime character into every picture of your family you're an idiot and deserve what's coming to you.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
Perhaps this year we shall all find our mood stabilizers. Also,

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

big nipples big life posted:

It takes 100 hours in ED to realize you've been space trucking for 100 hours and still don't have 1/10th of what you need to buy the ship you want.

The sound design is poo poo hot though.

Or two hours if you blow things up instead.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Toops posted:

Yeah I totally agree. I guess IMO those are kind of inherent to point 2 (does it run without technical detriments to its design). Like, does everything seem fine to the user, but it runs so inefficiently that you need 1 server for every 3 concurrent users and drown yourself with hosting costs? That's a detriment to the design, provided the need to support more than 3 concurrent users is in the design. Or, is the code so messy that when you try to add anything, the god drat poo poo won't compile until you refactor 32 classes? That's a detriment to the design, provided that adding features (extensibility) is in the design and there's a business need for it.

Fairly stupid point, but we're converging on models where runtime is calculated rather than just keeping a room warm. AWS Lambdas are pretty drat lightweight and extensible (once you've folded yourself into the shape that AWS prefers).

(Lambda is geek for something that does something specific, and usually gets used around anonymous functions which I consider the devil)

There's always a tradeoff, and it's been amusing to go through the different cycles. One interesting example was serial and parallel communications....pushing something _fast_ down a single pipeline, or pushing something _wide_ down a pipeline. Eventually 'width' becomes limited by the physical connectors, where 'fast' becomes limited by radio-frequency switching.

Personally, technical debt I'm dealing with is the inevitable conclusion of only dealing with the easy problems and low hanging fruit for a decade, painting ourselves further into corners. We're getting the point where we have actually deal with the can, rather than kicking it down the road.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Truga posted:

People who get sick of a game after >100 hours and start grinding about how it's a super lovely game because they could only literally play it for 5 days straight before getting tired of it just seem like stupid people to me. "I spent >100 hours in this game before I stopped having fun!!!" *buys the next generic fps, finishes and shelves it in 4-8 hours*

This is a pretty common argument, and in my view it's very short-sighted and obtuse. It's not my place to tell people what's fun, but here's my rough hourly breakdown in Elite:

Hours 1-5: God drat, this is amazing. I can travel to every point of light in the sky! It feels like I'm flying a ship! I can land on space stations, get in space fights, upgrade my ship... Cool! Let's see if I can find something fun to do.
Hours 5-6: Running missions for a pittance of credits. Light arithmetic shows that it will take 356.6666 hours to upgrade to a better ship just running missions.
Hours 6-7: Reading reddit about what's fun to do that might yield some credits towards actual progression.
Hours 7-15: Grinding REC to get a better ship so I can have a suitable ship for finding fun things to do.
Hours 15-20: Get a Vulture but sick of grinding REC, so go see what exploration is all about
Hours 20-30: Go back to mindlessly grinding REC to save up credits, because exploration is simply a meditation on the emptiness of space and the inherent meaninglessness in the occasional mote of icy dead matter floating in it, and sometimes I come home from work braindead so it's nice to do something mindless.
Hours 30-31: Planning some trading routes because maybe trading is fun
Hours 31-32: Discovering trading is not even remotely fun, it's a paper-thin mechanic so void and depressing that makes me consider whether I'm wasting my life, and that maybe video games "just aren't for me" anymore.
Hours 32-40: Retreating to grinding REC to get a python kitted for mining, because maybe mining is fun
Hours 40-41: Finding some suitable mining areas
Hours 41-50: Discovering mining is yet another paper-thin mechanic with no redeeming value, and a hopeless waste of time in terms of credits/hr
<quit game in utter disgust, vowing never to play it again>
Hours 50-51: After breaking my vow, read on reddit about what to do in "The Engineers"
Hours 51-60: Discovering "The Engineers" is just another paper-thin mechanic for you to upgrade your ship so you can do any number of paper-thin, mind-numbingly boring things

So yeah. Did I get a lot of "value" out of those 60 hours? gently caress no. I spent those 60 hours grinding through timewalled rand() mechanics masquerading as "gameplay" trying to find some semblance of god drat game design in Elite, and I failed.

If you enjoy it, cool. But you saying "hey they have 100 hours, they must agree game is good!" is like saying "Hey, you spent 4 hours in bumper-to-bumper traffic today, you must love your car!"

Toops fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 2, 2018

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Toops posted:

IMO quality is assessed at a moment in time. If it fails 1 or 3, quality is low. Sure, you could make it better later, and that's precisely what you should do. But assuming the foundations are good when it doesn't meet customer's needs is very dangerous, because significant changes to the feature requirements can necessitate a re-architecture, even if your original architecture was good.

True, that's a valid point. But I think it's a point more easily conveyed to stakeholders than the technical debt issue. It's sad when time and money is wasted on extending a product past the viability of the foundations. Re-architecturing and/or rewriting some or all subsystems is an option, but one that in my experience is often not given due consideration due to sunk cost. I think Star Citizen is a great example of a high quality demo turning into a poor quality pre-alpha/tech-demo abomination. Possibly because there were stakeholders who refused to acknowledge this, or were led to believe otherwise.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!
Hello thread! I hope everyone had a great holiday break and new year celebration.

I just finally caught up. The consensus I get is that most of you feel SC is not good or a game yet, you all think Skadden will win it's case or a nice settlement from CIG/RSI, and that I'm to be left alone for eating a species of shark that there are plenty.

Oh, and Derek is pretend suing someone (or threatening a suit - YAWN ) again? Man - 2018 is shaping up to be cool and good.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!
OH NOES he did it again - he doxxed. LOL

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

XK posted:

Oh, people here were talking about him being South African, and I did a quick Google to double check: there's posts from him about South African SC meet ups or some such poo poo.

Either he was on vacation or whatever (e.g. if he is from there, he could have been visiting etc), but so far, everything points to him being in North Carolina. Even his Twitter profile says so https://twitter.com/montoya_test

It's going to be challenging for me to sue someone in South Africa. Being in the US, I have sued people in the UK, Canada, and Germany. It's not hard, but it is still a bit of work. Most of the work is getting a US attorney to find a counterpart or firm in the target country, and do it that way. That's what I did when I sued companies in all 3 countries, including Dreamcatcher which was a Candadian company with offices in Canada.

My legal wrath has no boundaries. It just costs time and money.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

Either he was on vacation or whatever (e.g. if he is from there, he could have been visiting etc), but so far, everything points to him being in North Carolina. Even his Twitter profile says so https://twitter.com/montoya_test

It's going to be challenging for me to sue someone in South Africa. Being in the US, I have sued people in the UK, Canada, and Germany. It's not hard, but it is still a bit of work. Most of the work is getting a US attorney to find a counterpart or firm in the target country, and do it that way. That's what I did when I sued companies in all 3 countries, including Dreamcatcher which was a Candadian company with offices in Canada.

My legal wrath has no boundaries. It just costs time and money.

L O L

I thought watching clips of the Mariah Carey bit in NY was the cream-of-the-crop comedy to start of 2018, but this is golden.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Watch as I doxx this man then pay an ambulance chaser in a cheap suit to send him a letter!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Abuminable posted:

The misPerception

Not bad. :ck5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

PederP posted:

True, that's a valid point. But I think it's a point more easily conveyed to stakeholders than the technical debt issue. It's sad when time and money is wasted on extending a product past the viability of the foundations. Re-architecturing and/or rewriting some or all subsystems is an option, but one that in my experience is often not given due consideration due to sunk cost. I think Star Citizen is a great example of a high quality demo turning into a poor quality pre-alpha/tech-demo abomination. Possibly because there were stakeholders who refused to acknowledge this, or were led to believe otherwise.

Exactly totally agree. The truth, is, you can kludge together a blob of software that appears to do just about anything. Sometimes, that's the right thing to do. Usually, it's a terrible thing to do, because it only yields the illusion of progress. Now the expectations are high, because you cranked out this "awesome" thing in a small amount of time that barely works in demo and falls down hard in production. When the business goes "We want more! We got hot new customers in the pipeline!! OH!! And fix the bugs, customers are complaining that poo poo don't work!!!!" they are understandably confused when you say "well, actually we need to go back and actually do the thing we just finished properly." They'll say "Why didn't you do it right the first time!?!?" and you'll say "Uhh, dumbass, because you gave us ridiculous deadlines and we kind of mumbled that it wasn't possible but said 'OK, I guess' at the end."

Then it's years of half-finished re-writes, partial re-factors, the business complaining about slow feature velocity, turnover, complaining during 2-hour beer-soaked lunch sessions, etc. And the one constant is "production issues."

Star Citizen is the poster-child for development done completely loving wrong. Chris makes some outlandish, border-line psychotic public commitment, art churns out some high-poly assets up, eng duct tapes them together with no long-term plan (imo assuming what they're writing is throw-away prototype *for demo purposes only* panic code), and then CIG marketing parades it out in front of backers to raise money. Then they pull a new branch and start cooking up the next load of bullshit.

It's Marketing-Driven-Development, which is just countdown to failure.

Toops fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 2, 2018