Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

D_Smart posted:

My legal wrath has no boundaries. It just costs time and money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

why would a lawsuit over being mean on the internet be in federal court?

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Galarox posted:

Lets rub!

This post right here lets me know that 2018 is going to be awesome.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

That man is extremely photogenic. He must be a terrible actor to be in a Sandi-level movie with looks like that.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Toops posted:

So yeah. Did I get a lot of "value" out of those 60 hours? gently caress no. I spent those 60 hours grinding through timewalled rand() mechanics masquerading as "gameplay" trying to find some semblance of god drat game design in Elite, and I failed.

Now do the same for the original Elite.

ManofManyAliases posted:

I thought watching clips of the Mariah Carey bit in NY was the cream-of-the-crop comedy to start of 2018, but this is golden.

For me it was the bong rips on CNN.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

big nipples big life posted:

This post is about accuracy in memes.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Missed the Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance derail. :(

But that's ok... Buddhism and Hot Dog Ordering is much more 2018.

"Make me one with everything."

HycoCam fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 2, 2018

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Hav posted:

This post is about accuracy in memes.

the meme is accurate, Derek said he was going to have Montoya and CIG in federal court because he used the exact same swatting incident in a tweet about "the enemy" that Derek did 24 hours earlier.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

the meme is accurate, Derek said he was going to have Montoya and CIG in federal court because he used the exact same swatting incident in a tweet about "the enemy" that Derek did 24 hours earlier.

_This post_ is about accuracy in Dereks.

Seriously, both Dereks and memes are startlingly inaccurate, and it's really easy to poke holes in their tissue-thin substance.

Hav fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 2, 2018

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Space court is busy.

Isn't the guy who said the mean thing from South Africa anyway?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I feel like we've been on this ride before.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Chalks posted:

Space court is busy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxEweP2TiMk

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Danknificent posted:

I'm up to almost 300 hours on R6: Siege :negative:

:same:

But for War thunder.

Pls send help i bought myself tanks for Christmas.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I bought SWAT 4 from GOG and discovered I should never seek a job with law enforcement

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Thirsty Dog posted:

I bought SWAT 4 from GOG and discovered I should never seek a job with law enforcement

rebind mouse 1 from shoot to yell, you'll be a swat 4 pro in no time.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Thirsty Dog posted:

Swat 4 and the expansion are some of the best coop games on the market still.

If you want it a bit more action like you should try payday 2 as well.

E: also beanbag shotgun and punch people to death when the ai spasms out and doesn't comply with your yelling (the voice actors are great BTW)

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
SWAT 4 is most realistic when you just shoot everyone and get a 0 score

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

FailureToReport posted:

Yeah I would no doubt have full blown anxiety the entire time. That was the one nice thing about shore diving is you could (most of the time) still see the bottom and your surroundings down to 100~ft depending on the weather. I really don't know how I'd handle looking down and just seeing blue fade to black, one of my first months spearing in Hawaii I was heading back to shore after my buddies got tired and went in ahead of me as the sun was going down and the current started churning up the sand, ended up swimming right up to a 7~ ft shark. One of the guys we were diving with ran into it first (which I didn't know until we got up on shore) and he had to pay the fish tax to it. I was absolutely mortified because I was alone, visibility was about 12 feet, and all I saw was a giant loving torso and tail fin.

I power kicked facing backwards like a loving Olympic swimmer for the next 200 meters until I was convinced the reef was to shallow for it to be following me, not that I would have seen it, but somehow looking backwards made me feel like I'd at least see it coming and maybe have a chance to scare it off or defend myself.

gently caress the deep.

^ This. I remember being a little newbie spearo and thinking I was safe because I had a pointy. Silly Failure.

Screw all of that. All my fishing happens above water like a real loving person. The moment you jump in you are no longer at the top of the food chain. gently caress that because I like my seat there.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Some people pull up some monster catches while kayak fishing.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

DapperDon posted:

Screw all of that. All my fishing happens above water like a real loving person. The moment you jump in you are no longer at the top of the food chain. gently caress that because I like my seat there.

I do all my fishing with a Bowie knife and a Speedo. Unless it's laundry day, in which case just the knife.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Thirsty Dog posted:

SWAT 4 is a fantastic murderous paranoia simulator.

WHY ISN'T THAT GUY DROPPING HIS GUN OH gently caress DID I HEAR A DOOR OPEN AAAAA

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

When I played Swat 4, way back when, I used that gamecheat memory editor to give me infinite door wedges, then just wedged every door.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

hot balls man no homo posted:

I do all my fishing with a Bowie knife and a Speedo. Unless it's laundry day, in which case just the knife.

I'm pretty lazy and always just throw my knife in with the rest of my clothes.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Galarox posted:

Ok - so now we need an explanation of wtf that glowy green thingy is?

It's the last thing you see before becoming a cave diving death statistic.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Chalks posted:

Space court is busy.

1) Any damages being claimed above $75K (threshold) can go to Fed court

2) If you don't know the benefits of Fed over State court, especially as it pertains to out-of-State action - Google is your friend

No, he's in North Carolina. He told us. No need to doxx, as investigators or paralegals hired by attorneys can get whatever info is needed to serve people being sued.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Dusty Lens posted:

Some people pull up some monster catches while kayak fishing.

Thanks, thread. "Kayak fishing" now means dog fishing in my head.

:argh:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

this should really be on judge judy, it would be perfect

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Is Kayak a fish?

:ohdear:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MedicineHut posted:

Is Kayak a fish?

:kayak:

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Mangoose posted:

Thanks, thread. "Kayak fishing" now means dog fishing in my head.

:argh:

Perhaps he meant "while kayak is fishing". Bring Kayak along with you on your fishing trip, hand the pup a decent rod and get his bait in the water. Meanwhile, your own fishing will land some record-breakers.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

MedicineHut posted:

Is Kayak a fish?

No, he's Beet's dog, and the official SA mascot :grin:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

MedicineHut posted:

Is Kayak a fish?

Who knows. I've seen him in diving gear. Don't know why a fish would need diving gear.

Then again, I don't know why a dog would dive either.

This shitpost series is still better than nerds taking each other to court over who's the least lovely tweeter.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Hello thread! I hope everyone had a great holiday break and new year celebration.

I just finally caught up. The consensus I get is that most of you feel SC is not good or a game yet, you all think Skadden will win it's case or a nice settlement from CIG/RSI, and that I'm to be left alone for eating a species of shark that there are plenty.

Oh, and Derek is pretend suing someone (or threatening a suit - YAWN ) again? Man - 2018 is shaping up to be cool and good.

I believe I’ve said “Star Citizen is good” far more than “Star Citizen is bad.” I have few opinions on other people’s meat eating habits unless they are eating humans, which is bad.

I presume the Crytek lawsuit is more than a garden variety road bump therefore potentially bad.

The Montoya Dramarama is bad. Good Dramarama is this and this.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 2, 2018

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

1) Any damages being claimed above $75K (threshold) can go to Fed court

2) If you don't know the benefits of Fed over State court, especially as it pertains to out-of-State action - Google is your friend

Yeah, the damages estimate has to actually make it through court, though. $75K would be exemplary and should be made at the time of the complaint. Good luck.

"global warming cultists"; So science?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Counterpoint: The Montoya drama is cool and good but by next week we'll probably never hear of it again so it will be back to the lean times.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/TeessideUniSCMA/status/947476251459182592

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/jmccue_anim/status/945092073606270978

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Counterpoint: The Montoya drama is cool and good but by next week we'll probably never hear of it again so it will be back to the lean times.

Counterpoint

By next week we will discuss the second chapter in Papa Cryteks story of how to sue the Crobberts jpeg factory because CIGs answer is due within a day or two now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Toops posted:

This is a pretty common argument, and in my view it's very short-sighted and obtuse. It's not my place to tell people what's fun, but here's my rough hourly breakdown in Elite:

Hours 1-5: God drat, this is amazing. I can travel to every point of light in the sky! It feels like I'm flying a ship! I can land on space stations, get in space fights, upgrade my ship... Cool! Let's see if I can find something fun to do.
Hours 5-6: Running missions for a pittance of credits. Light arithmetic shows that it will take 356.6666 hours to upgrade to a better ship just running missions.
Hours 6-7: Reading reddit about what's fun to do that might yield some credits towards actual progression.
Hours 7-15: Grinding REC to get a better ship so I can have a suitable ship for finding fun things to do.
Hours 15-20: Get a Vulture but sick of grinding REC, so go see what exploration is all about
Hours 20-30: Go back to mindlessly grinding REC to save up credits, because exploration is simply a meditation on the emptiness of space and the inherent meaninglessness in the occasional mote of icy dead matter floating in it, and sometimes I come home from work braindead so it's nice to do something mindless.
Hours 30-31: Planning some trading routes because maybe trading is fun
Hours 31-32: Discovering trading is not even remotely fun, it's a paper-thin mechanic so void and depressing that makes me consider whether I'm wasting my life, and that maybe video games "just aren't for me" anymore.
Hours 32-40: Retreating to grinding REC to get a python kitted for mining, because maybe mining is fun
Hours 40-41: Finding some suitable mining areas
Hours 41-50: Discovering mining is yet another paper-thin mechanic with no redeeming value, and a hopeless waste of time in terms of credits/hr
<quit game in utter disgust, vowing never to play it again>
Hours 50-51: After breaking my vow, read on reddit about what to do in "The Engineers"
Hours 51-60: Discovering "The Engineers" is just another paper-thin mechanic for you to upgrade your ship so you can do any number of paper-thin, mind-numbingly boring things

So yeah. Did I get a lot of "value" out of those 60 hours? gently caress no. I spent those 60 hours grinding through timewalled rand() mechanics masquerading as "gameplay" trying to find some semblance of god drat game design in Elite, and I failed.

If you enjoy it, cool. But you saying "hey they have 100 hours, they must agree game is good!" is like saying "Hey, you spent 4 hours in bumper-to-bumper traffic today, you must love your car!"

This is a real loving good post right here, it's so on the money Chris Roberts might try to defraud you for it.

It's weird too, because even given the limitations of the ED universe, engine and system it shouldn't be that hard to fill it with some sort of quality gameplay. I mean, you have a great space sim with the mechanics and everything, right there. Right there! And everything is a suckfest of proc gen bullshit. The only way to play it is to invent your own goals after you've cheesed the gently caress out of the artificial content locks (money) so as not to go spacemad from delivering two hundred loving thousand (not exaggerating) space livers to the local HIP 246947 Generic Faction of Faction Faction #5.