Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Thermopyle posted:

My HP 8600 and 8720 both do this.

Are you serious? Yeah they technically do some form of OCR I guess.

I suppose I thought there might be some magic solution but there are none. Just rolling my own at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

Are you serious? Yeah they technically do some form of OCR I guess.

I'm not sure what you mean here. They use the ABBY FineReader OCR engine.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Why does this happen? (Python 3.6.3)

Python code:
letters = {'a': 1.0, 'b': 2.0, 'c': 3.0}
fns = {key: lambda x: x / val for key, val in letters.items()}
for key in fns:
    print(key, fns[key](1))

# output:
# 
# a 0.3333333333333333
# b 0.3333333333333333
# c 0.3333333333333333

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Does anyone have a clear and concise resource that talks about using native C code in Python?

I've got some C functions I've written that I want to interface with a Python script but everything points me to cython, which looks like a mixed language of the two

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

VikingofRock posted:

Python code:
for key in fns:
    print(key, fns[key](1))

# output:
# 
# a 0.3333333333333333
# b 0.3333333333333333
# c 0.3333333333333333

Okay, so I asked a friend and he said that it's because the lambda is storing a reference to val, and so when val is updated throughout the dictionary comprehension it changes the val "pointed to" by all the lambdas. And this works:

Python code:
def over(val):
    return lambda x: x / val

fns = {key: over(val) for key, val in letters.items()}
for key in fns:
    print(key, fns[key](1))
# output:
#
# a 1.0
# b 0.5
# c 0.3333333333333333
So I guess the real problem is that I don't understand variable assignment in python. Does anyone know of a good resource for understanding how that really works? In most of the languages that I'm used to, either variables are very explicitly copies or references (C, C++, Rust) or are immutable (Haskell), so the assignment model of python is pretty confusing to me.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

VikingofRock posted:

Python code:
for key in fns:
    print(key, fns[key](1))

# output:
# 
# a 0.3333333333333333
# b 0.3333333333333333
# c 0.3333333333333333

http://quickinsights.io/python/python-closures-and-late-binding/

Yr lambdas are getting defined, with val as a reference to the local variable in your loop (not inlined as a constant), and when you run the lambdas they all look up the value of val. The loop has already finished running when you call them, so in each case val is set to the last value it was assigned during the loop, i.e. 3.0.

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 27, 2017

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

VikingofRock posted:

Python code:
for key in fns:
    print(key, fns[key](1))

# output:
# 
# a 0.3333333333333333
# b 0.3333333333333333
# c 0.3333333333333333
Python closures are "late binding". The function isn't evaluated until it's actually called, right? Well, in the case of this lambda, what is the final value of val. It's 3.0, of course. The variable isn't in the global scope, but it's in the scope of the closure. You stumbled across one of Python's weirder behaviors, because of course that's not the expected behavior.

You can do the following:

Python code:
fns = {key: lambda x, val=val: x / val for key, val in letters.items()}
for k, v in fns.items():
    print(k, v(1))
Which will get you the desired result.

You could probably use functools.partial to do this but :effort: (also I'm not super familiar with it and the 30 seconds I tried I couldn't get it to work right so)

E: f; b :smith:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

creatine posted:

Does anyone have a clear and concise resource that talks about using native C code in Python?

I've got some C functions I've written that I want to interface with a Python script but everything points me to cython, which looks like a mixed language of the two

If you have actual C-style functions dealing with regular old primitive types (float, int, etc) you can just compile a shared library and load it with ctypes.

I would not recommend using Cython... for anything, really. There are better alternatives no matter what you want to do

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

VikingofRock posted:

Okay, so I asked a friend and he said that it's because the lambda is storing a reference to val, and so when val is updated throughout the dictionary comprehension it changes the val "pointed to" by all the lambdas. And this works:

Python code:
def over(val):
    return lambda x: x / val

fns = {key: over(val) for key, val in letters.items()}
for key in fns:
    print(key, fns[key](1))
# output:
#
# a 1.0
# b 0.5
# c 0.3333333333333333
So I guess the real problem is that I don't understand variable assignment in python. Does anyone know of a good resource for understanding how that really works? In most of the languages that I'm used to, either variables are very explicitly copies or references (C, C++, Rust) or are immutable (Haskell), so the assignment model of python is pretty confusing to me.

Is there a reason that you're returning a lambda instead of just x/val?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

Is there a reason that you're returning a lambda instead of just x/val?

This question actually came from me helping someone else with some python (and getting stumped), but presumably the answer is "because you don't know x at the time when this dictionary is created".

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Python code:
from functools import partial

def formula(constant, val):
	return constant / val

one = partial(formula, 1)

for key, val in letters.items():
	print one(val)
How's that?

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

If you have actual C-style functions dealing with regular old primitive types (float, int, etc) you can just compile a shared library and load it with ctypes.

I would not recommend using Cython... for anything, really. There are better alternatives no matter what you want to do

I'll give ctypes a look, thanks

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

What's bad about Cython? Don't a bunch of scientific packages use it a lot?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cingulate posted:

What's bad about Cython? Don't a bunch of scientific packages use it a lot?

Most scientific packages are written in compiled C or Fortran. For instance many of the Numpy libraries are compiled FORTRAN77. It's true that there are a number of packages that use Cython (including some parts of Numpy), but that's more due to Cython having been around forever than it being the optimal choice for building extension packages today.

For compiling Python, Numba is faster and way easier to use than Cython. No need to write separate .pyx files that get precompiled into a huge amount of boilerplate, simply write Python functions without vectorization and then attach decorators to them; boom, C performance with much less mess

For compiling small snippets of C code to be called from Python, ctypes is the fastest and easiest to use option

For compiling large amounts of basically anything to be used with Python, SWIG is the go-to option and is faster and easier to use than Cython's C-interfacing features.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I've never written a test for any of my projects, and I'd like to change that. I know very little about the subject in general. As a novice, what testing package/methodology should I commit to learning? I'll be using Pycharm, if it makes any difference.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I have a bit of a conundrum: how do I lint my code when my application's Python environment is contained in a Docker container?

I just spun up a new Django project and stumbled a bit when I realized that I don't know what environment path to point the linter to. This is preventing Flake8 from understanding that I have Django installed, and it's outputting typical linting issues like the E0401 one below:

I feel as though my only option is to maintain a virtual environment on my machine that I'll have to keep in sync with the dependencies running in the Docker image that's serving the actual application. Unless there's a better way?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I have a comma-separated spreadsheet with a bunch of information about condos in my city, most importantly it has the latitude and longitude of these places. I want to be able to output these coordinates onto google maps but I'm not sure how to go about doing this. I looked at this link but none of the API's seem to quite provide what I'm looking for (at least, not with python). Any suggestions?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Seventh Arrow posted:

I have a comma-separated spreadsheet with a bunch of information about condos in my city, most importantly it has the latitude and longitude of these places. I want to be able to output these coordinates onto google maps but I'm not sure how to go about doing this. I looked at this link but none of the API's seem to quite provide what I'm looking for (at least, not with python). Any suggestions?

Maybe something like this? https://github.com/vgm64/gmplot

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

That looks good, thanks! I will look into it.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

So this seems to work pretty good, it seems like the basis of this is using "gmap = gmplot.GoogleMapPlotter(43.66548, -79.3875, 16)" to store the lat & long and then "gmap.draw("filename.html")" to put it onto an actual map.

So I have two challenges:
  1. I need to funnel a bunch of latitudes & longitudes from the spreadsheet into gmplot.GoogleMapPlotter, and
  2. I need to arrange it so that I can put a bunch of these coordinates into one html file instead of a bunch of separate files

Any hints on how I can do this?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’m setting up my Windows 10 PC from a clean reinstall and I was just wondering what’s the Best(™) way to set up Python now in Windows. My choices are between a native Windows Anaconda install, or installing Anaconda (or just making use of the default Python and Pip) inside the Windows/Linux Subsystem. I use PyCharm and this guide says it’s possible to use my WSL as a “remote” interpreter. Just wondering if there are any drawbacks to this.

(I’d prefer to use Python inside WSL because I’m more familiar with the Linux like system than I am with Windows.)

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Native Windows install.

Bonus: Try pipenv.

Use powershell as your terminal, vice cmd.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 2, 2018

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Seventh Arrow posted:

Are you trying to create a map? Or load custom points on a Google Map? If you need to use Google, then I would create your own map (https://www.google.com/maps/d/), and then upload the CSV.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

accipter posted:

Are you trying to create a map? Or load custom points on a Google Map? If you need to use Google, then I would create your own map (https://www.google.com/maps/d/), and then upload the CSV.

I need to put markers on a map, but since this is for a data science python course I need to find a ~*pythonic*~ way of doing it. The module that was linked to earlier was good, but I need to find around some of the details.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Updated OP package and virtualenv sections to emphasize builtin venv and pipenv; vice Anaconda, and legacy tools like virtualenv and virtualenvwrapper.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Seventh Arrow posted:

I need to put markers on a map, but since this is for a data science python course I need to find a ~*pythonic*~ way of doing it. The module that was linked to earlier was good, but I need to find around some of the details.

Okay. For nearly all of my mapping needs I use basemap or cartopy, but these create static maps. If you want a slippy interactive map you could also consider Bokeh (https://bokeh.pydata.org/en/latest/docs/user_guide/geo.html).

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
You might also want to look into Folium. It's a quick, easy way to build a slippy LeafletJS based map using OpenStreetMap tiles from Python.

https://folium.readthedocs.io/en/latest/quickstart.html#getting-started

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I'd like to package a scripted tool to members of my team without requiring them to source virtualenv/bin/activate every time to satisfy dependencies within the script, or installing the dependencies into their global environment. Is there a good way to accomplish this?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

If you still want to use virtuaenv, you should take a look into at virtualenvwrapper which is a set of convenience scripts over virtualenv (meaning source virtualenv/bin/activate becomes workon <name_of_env> and so on).

I think the new hotness is pipenv, though, but I never used it.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
There's packaging as a python module and then there's packaging as an executable. The executable option can encapsulate all dependencies and allow your coworkers to double click on something to run the tool. Try PyInstaller.

If you're wanting to send out a python script then you can still package it and list the dependencies and they will be installed automatically, but still requires the environment juggling.

porksmash fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 3, 2018

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Somehow I missed that this was part of 3.5, but you can now merge two dicts into a new dict in a single expression:

Python code:
z = {**x, **y}  # y keys overwrite existing keys in x
Hot drat.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 6, 2018

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Thermopyle posted:

Somehow I missed that this was part of 3.5, but you can now merge two dicts into a new dict in a single expression:

Python code:
z = {**x, **y}  # y keys overwrite existing keys in x
Hot drat.

Yeah, that's a good one. Cleaner and terser than
Python code:
 {k:v for k, v in itertools.chain(x.items(), y.items())}

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Why don't dictionaries have an extend(dict) method?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
They do, it's called .update(), which updates the dict in place. Creating a new dictionary from the contents of two or more others is what we're doing, which is somewhat different.

I'd like to call it a union, but Union's imply no loss of information, which isn't quite right if some of the dictionaries have overlapping keys with different values.

Fluue
Jan 2, 2008
Not sure if this belongs in the Web Development thread, but it's mostly Python-specific.

I have a Django app that's part of a "microservice" network. The Django app is responsible for the frontend of the whole website through a Django REST Framework API that feeds into an Angular SPA. Django applies some business logic rules to data it retrieves from a Service Layer.

Django communicates with a service layer run by a different team that I do not have much control over. This service layer has a few responsibilities, but the primary one is providing an API for the data send to and retrieve. Django itself has a small database instance, but it's mostly for metadata about an object and the actual data lives in the service layer (e.g. service layer holds the first name/last name, address, etc submitted by a user).

For example, Angular hitting a Django endpoint /api/user/ would cause Django to make a call via the Requests library to the service layer to retrieve the user's information. So a request is typically: Angular -> GET Django -> GET ServiceLayer -> return to django -> Apply business logic -> return to Angular. The state of the information can change based on other calls or data submitted to the service layer (like a user's order request changing from "pending" to "complete").

The problem I've run into is how to best test the Service Layer interactions in Django. Right now we use an old version of the Responses library to fake the responses from the service layer when running pytest. We register custom callbacks for each service layer API endpoint and use memcached during tests to simulate the Service Layer's database. We built an API client class for interacting with the service layer and that class has a switch that intercepts requests when in test mode and does mock.patch for that request.

Based on documentation for other python request mocking libraries, it seems like I have to manually apply some decorator around a test function, even though a single test function may be trying to hit 4 or 5 service layer API endpoints and that seems really redundant to apply a bunch of decorators around each test method.

Is there some other python library I should be exploring that supports the workflow of django -> multiple API calls to external service layer?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

You could write a decorator that wraps all the decorators into one.

You could even make it an argument-taking decorator that you can configure at each call site with what you want.

Like:

Python code:
@my_decorator(mock_svc_1=True, mock_svc_2=True)
def test_blah(self, ...):
    # do testing
Whenever you call external services there's no getting around the fact that you have to mock them out some way.

Fluue
Jan 2, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

You could write a decorator that wraps all the decorators into one.

You could even make it an argument-taking decorator that you can configure at each call site with what you want.

Like:

Python code:
@my_decorator(mock_svc_1=True, mock_svc_2=True)
def test_blah(self, ...):
    # do testing
Whenever you call external services there's no getting around the fact that you have to mock them out some way.

Hadn't thought about doing a "god" decorator. I'll look into that approach as well.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
We use vcrpy for that and it works pretty well.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I have very limited programming experience generally and even less experience with Python, so I'll apologize if this is a really stupid question, but I wasn't able to find much from googling:

I've got a csv file with a little over 90,000 rows that each have a key in the first column and a value in the second. I also have a list of keys that I want to retrieve the values for.

Currently, I'm using csv.reader to read the file into a dictionary and then looping through my list of keys to retrieve the value for each from the dictionary. This works, but I have a feeling that this is a really stupid/inefficient way of going about things.

The other approach that comes to mind is creating a duplicate of the list of keys that I want to retrieve values for, iterating through the rows of the file checking if that row matches any of the keys I'm after, storing the value and removing the key from my duplicate list if it does match, and continuing on until the duplicate list is empty.

Am I an idiot? Is either of these approaches appropriate? Is there a better solution?

Wallet fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What you've done sounds like how I would do it frankly.

I'd rather process each row once and then have a nice fast hash-table lookup from a dictionary (for each of n keys) than process each row n times looking for the keys.

The benefit that your proposed solution has is that n keeps decreasing as keys are found, and once they're all found you can discard the whole rest of the CSV; but whether that's overall more performant than the first approach depends on the shape of the data. The proposed solution is also trickier and sounds like it would take more testing and tinkering, and for that reason alone I'd probably stick with the first approach.