Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Final stretch...

... or first time-skip?

Oh snap!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

vorebane posted:

It's Robert Korean, you mook.

(I assume Robert is the family name, given he's DC.)

He's always been referred to as Korean Robert, so I dunno why you'd think Robert was the family name since we're in the DC, as you said.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Final stretch...

... or first time-skip?

YES! Let's see where you take this from here...

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

Final stretch...

... or first time-skip?

Wouldn't this be the second time-skip?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
The first time-skip wasn't a major time-skip, like in the books. In the books, there was enough time for "Everyone's married, everyone has kids old enough for postings".

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
B

while C is certainly the thread favorite, b means Hanse gets to really wheel to his south and get stuck in with cap com craziness. Love to see what happens either way!

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Oh boy.

Voting C because that's by far the most batshit option and I love me some Korean Roberts stories.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Rereading the Political Vote and Hanse mentioning Hasek reminds me of something: did we ever see what happened with that vote a long time back with Romano deiciding whether or not to go through with Justin Xiang's plan to replace Duke Hasek or not? I know we went heavy into the Clan stuff right after that, but still, it looks like we might be heading back there if Hanse pivots to New Syrtis now that he's reestablished to Draconis Combine like people in the thread are thinking.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

GhostStalker posted:

did we ever see what happened with that vote a long time back with Romano deiciding whether or not to go through with Justin Xiang's plan to replace Duke Hasek or not?

It was presented to her as fait accompli, the vote was more about how to exploit it

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

It was presented to her as fait accompli, the vote was more about how to exploit it

Fair enough, looks like we'll be revisiting that soon, I would think, depending on how the next Theater Vote goes, I guess.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

GhostStalker posted:

He's always been referred to as Korean Robert, so I dunno why you'd think Robert was the family name since we're in the DC, as you said.

YES! Let's see where you take this from here...

Pit of Snakes had his readout naming him Robert Korean, but I did go check counting coup and he's Korean Robert there. I was wrong, and WT Fits is not a mook.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

vorebane posted:

Pit of Snakes had his readout naming him Robert Korean, but I did go check counting coup and he's Korean Robert there. I was wrong, and WT Fits is not a mook.

I've changed it around depending on where the person speaking about him was from. :ssh:

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zaodai posted:

He wasn't the one who landed the killing blow or anything. He just happened to be the designated CO. If he doesn't instigate some rather heavy reforms on how their system works immediately, he's going to very likely end up dead or made irrelevant in a trial.

Dude the first rear end in a top hat that trials him is going to get an office chair shot through his cockpit.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Grognan posted:

Dude the first rear end in a top hat that trials him is going to get an office chair shot through his cockpit.

It does seem that Korean Robert headshots clanners for fun.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

AJ_Impy posted:

It does seem that Korean Robert headshots clanners for fun.

That's not really going to save him if people in the Hells Horses end up wanting him out of the way. It wouldn't be the first allegedly free for all Trial that turned into them just trying to Robocop the guy everybody hates halfway through.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Zaodai posted:

That's not really going to save him if people in the Hells Horses end up wanting him out of the way. It wouldn't be the first allegedly free for all Trial that turned into them just trying to Robocop the guy everybody hates halfway through.

Thing is, he won't just hie off on his own to be leader of the Hell's Horses. I expect most or all of his lancemates-including a certain Spider pilot-will be coming along. Given that the HH are on the less-terrible end of the Clanism scale and actually accept people like freebirths, and given that they're where they will be relocated, I suspect they'll be happy enough initially. Amaris seems most likely to screw that up, depending. The real question is whether Siedman gamed out this kind of scenario with his daughter or not.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Narsham posted:

The real question is whether Siedman gamed out this kind of scenario with his daughter or not.

Isn't she just another member of the same bloodhouse?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Defiance Industries posted:

Isn't she just another member of the same bloodhouse?

Almost by definition. If she is his daughter, she can't win a bloodname, and it certainly wouldn't be his.

Bloodhouses are matrilineal.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Strobe posted:

Almost by definition. If she is his daughter, she can't win a bloodname, and it certainly wouldn't be his.

Bloodhouses are matrilineal.

Actually, the Clans can and do splice genes, so Siedman could have daughters that trace matrilineal descent through him. Otherwise the Kell bloodhouse would only have one member forever.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Actually, the Clans can and do splice genes, so Siedman could have daughters that trace matrilineal descent through him. Otherwise the Kell bloodhouse would only have one member forever.

The Kell Bloodhouse is also by definition an anomaly.

Even if the other Siedman was genetically Grier's daughter, he wouldn't care and it would have nothing to do with their relationship.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Strobe posted:

The Kell Bloodhouse is also by definition an anomaly.

Even if the other Siedman was genetically Grier's daughter, he wouldn't care and it would have nothing to do with their relationship.

This is true. However, the process had been in existence for some time before that. I'm just saying that your sex has nothing to do with your genetic relation to your offspring in Clan society.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

This is true. However, the process had been in existence for some time before that. I'm just saying that your sex has nothing to do with your genetic relation to your offspring in Clan society.

Ehhh, in a traditional Clan it absolutely does. Even during the invasion most Clans were still that traditional.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mostly for the labor-saving element, I would guess. I never got the read from WoK that the practice was any kind of question of traditionalism as much as just expediency. If you're good they'll take the time.You know Natasha Kerensky was a bunch of kids' dad too.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Jew it to it! posted:

C

All hail Warlord Robert, master of Steelcase.

Clan Steel Case

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

I've changed it around depending on where the person speaking about him was from. :ssh:

Didn't even notice that, my eyes just passing over the pilot field and automatically saw it as Korean Robert in the status readout of the previous mission. Now that I do know about that, I have to say it's a great touch.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Clans can create perfect clones, even. They just don't because they consider it morally repugnant.

General Maeve Wolf was a transgender clone of Colonel Jaime Wolf.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
For the sake of the joke I want a clantech office chair mech as fits the CO of this contingent of the horses. Rename it to the Hell's Chairs.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

General Maeve Wolf was a transgender clone of Colonel Jaime Wolf.

There's an entire sibko of Aiden Pryde clones of both sexes, because Thurston has the creativity of a Xerox machine

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

So because his name was Robert Korean on the damage readout we know his Roughneck is in fact a filthy gaijin?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

There's an entire sibko of Aiden Pryde clones of both sexes, because Thurston has the creativity of a Xerox machine

What did happen with that sibko? The stories tapered off, there was the Jihad in the Inner Sphere, and the Wars of Reaving in Clan Space, and the implication was that this (and other sibkos, with clones of other heroes, it's implied) acting as muscle for the Scientist Class.

Um... spoilers?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Aidan Pryde was loving terrible at navigating Clan politics so clones of him would almost certainly wind up dead in a ditch somewhere.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

PoptartsNinja posted:

Aidan Pryde was loving terrible at navigating Clan politics so clones of him would almost certainly wind up dead in a ditch somewhere.

Y'know, I didn't think much of him as a fighter either. And his tactics were flashy, the sort that only succeed out of dumb luck or because your opponent is even stupider than you. Figures that the Jade Turkeys would honor someone loud, flashy, and with the brains of the chicken.

About the only good things that came out of his series were Horse and Joanna. Though I did kinda also like Ter Roshak and Raville Pryde.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Aidan is 100% the Clan Ideal: he's pretty, loud, arrogant, incapable at looking of the larger picture, and lucky.

The first book in the Jade Phoenix trilogy is well worth a read because it shows just how brutal and insane the Clan indoctrination process is and what it turns a group of sheltered but otherwise normal children into.

The rest of that trilogy is complete trash.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

PoptartsNinja posted:

Aidan is 100% the Clan Ideal: he's pretty, loud, arrogant, incapable at looking of the larger picture, and lucky.

The first book in the Jade Phoenix trilogy is well worth a read because it shows just how brutal and insane the Clan indoctrination process is and what it turns a group of sheltered but otherwise normal children into.

The rest of that trilogy is complete trash.

I still like it. :shobon: it's exquisite pulp trash and I certainly appreciate how Aidan never had a Sphere-friendly portrayal. He was Clan, and remained Clan (and also protagonist) until his dying breath.

He's pretty exclusively a Clan hero unlike drat near every other Clan character by most other authors, who are in general either mustache-twirling evil or had extensive and detailed Inner Sphere affiliation.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I read the series, and while I didn't love the last two books I did enjoy that Aidan mostly suffers consequences for his actions (spoilers ahead). He gets too cocky during his first trial and ends up washing out because of it, and even getting railroaded back into the warrior caste relegates him to second-class status, winning his bloodname via plot armor only reinforces the stigma surrounding him, and the only reason he receives a front line command is because the unit in question was so disgraced that any other officer would have been gravely insulted by the assignment.

Yeah, things work out for him in the end, but he at least suffers for his arrogance.

EDIT: also voting C

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 2, 2018

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

painedforever posted:

What did happen with that sibko? The stories tapered off, there was the Jihad in the Inner Sphere, and the Wars of Reaving in Clan Space, and the implication was that this (and other sibkos, with clones of other heroes, it's implied) acting as muscle for the Scientist Class.

Um... spoilers?

Thurston quit writing BattleTech so his ultimate masturbatory fantasy probably just got flushed.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
C) Become Warlord of the Hell’s Horses Reservation (Hell’s Corridor)

Yeah, this can't go wrong; I'm sensing a Nova Cat type subplot brewing with this.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

The DracSuns Military was slowly integrating... It took several battles just for it not to turn into a disaster. A successful military integration, not to mention a successful union on a broad national level would've taken so much more (including but not limited to a hazardous timeskip) but it could've happened...! :smith:

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 2, 2018

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It certainly would have been cool to see them keep integrating and work towards cooperation, but alas, the setting doesn't work if everybody isn't trying to kill each other 24/7.

None of the plans to get off the island can work, because then the show would end.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

If the FedCom taught us anything it's that trying to rule two wildly disparate groups is a bad choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

I dunno, I'd be ok with intrepid mech reporters keeping the generally peaceful governments of the inner sphere honest.

• Locked thread