Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

and speaking of deep bombs lol at hurts' terrible fleaflicker 10 yards underthrown
I think I saw about 15 flea flickers during bowl season, and one of them worked. Most were either underthrown, or thrown into double coverage. Trick plays rule but maybe try some different ones, everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Emron posted:

If you want an image of the future, imagine a 320 pound offensive tackle blocking a free safety on play action post routes forever

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
How many healthy linebackers does Bama have right now?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

G-Hawk posted:

I think I saw about 15 flea flickers during bowl season, and one of them worked. Most were either underthrown, or thrown into double coverage. Trick plays rule but maybe try some different ones, everyone

i think it's because most QBs aren't allowed to throw more than 20 yards more than once a game (especially down the middle) and have no idea how to do it

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Emron posted:

If you want an image of the future, imagine a 320 pound offensive tackle blocking a free safety on play action post routes forever

this rules, where do I sign up

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Emron posted:

It's a gateway drug that leads to 2 and 3-QB A-11 formations, next thing you know guys are flipping through the air doing Johnny Rico poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn_EiAzW2uQ&t=114s

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Korranus posted:

It's a gateway drug that leads to 2 and 3-QB A-11 formations, next thing you know guys are flipping through the air doing Johnny Rico poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn_EiAzW2uQ&t=114s

I’d be down for that, minus the fascism

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

You just don't have the courage to be a citizen

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Emron posted:

I’d be down for that, minus the fascism

lol if you think we're not already there.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Sab0921 posted:

lol if you think we're not already there.

We’re not QUITE to “service guarantees citizenship,” but give it about a year and a half

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

pillsburysoldier posted:

I wonder how much ratings are going to dip for UGA Alabama. Wasn't the LSU - Alabama rematch pretty low too?

https://twitter.com/SolidVerbal/status/948243268168450048

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

people love oregon i guess

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

mastershakeman posted:

people love oregon i guess

Well one was against OSU and OSU is pretty consistently the biggest rating draw in college football. A little surprised that Auburn/Oregon one was so high, but I guess Cam Newton was a pretty massive star by that point

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

That was also back when Oregon was a new and exciting thing and was supposed to complete their rise to the top

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Oregon - OSU was probably also buoyed by the novelty of being the first playoff championship.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Korranus posted:

That was also back when Oregon was a new and exciting thing and was supposed to complete their rise to the top

And it was the beginning of OSU’s resurgence since hiring Meyer, marking the beginning of a new dynasty in cfb. Just a huge ratings game all around.

And it had the teensy factor of being the first ever playoff championship game.

EDIT gently caress YOU GENERAL DOG YOU SON OF A BITCH

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
I think the trend to look at in the ratings is that the game does much better when there’s teams from different geographical areas in it. When it’s an all-southern affair, whether that’s just SEC or ACC/SEC, the ratings dip.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Emron posted:

Either that or the end of helmeted football and the proliferation of Rugby.

But your scenario sounds metal as gently caress, we’d have to rename it MurderBall.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
P sure Bama is going to bullshit their way to yet another natty but this isn’t a great matchup for them. They’re incredibly banged up in the front seven and that offense isn’t nearly as dynamic as Oklahoma’s was. I think the main things in their favor are Georgia being drained and pushed to the extreme yesterday and essentially having to miss a practice day because of travel. Bama got to coast and take a three hour bus ride home.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

P sure Bama is going to bullshit their way to yet another natty but this isn’t a great matchup for them. They’re incredibly banged up in the front seven and that offense isn’t nearly as dynamic as Oklahoma’s was. I think the main things in their favor are Georgia being drained and pushed to the extreme yesterday and essentially having to miss a practice day because of travel. Bama got to coast and take a three hour bus ride home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTq01Q-zAQM&t=435s

Bama ain't missing that tackle IMO

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oregon had a hot-as-hell offense back then. Why wouldn't everyone want to tune in for that? They were a loving circus for a few years; it was awesome.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I’m just stoked that we are in the conversation because I had us in for 9 wins and a SECCG appearance as our ceiling. As long as we can keep it competitive and not totally be embarrassed it’ll all be good.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Emron posted:

We’re not QUITE to “service guarantees citizenship,” but give it about a year and a half

You realize plenty of sane, successful, thriving countries have mandatory conscription, right?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Crotch Bat posted:

You realize plenty of sane, successful, thriving countries have mandatory conscription, right?

Yeah, you’re right, I’m probably reading way too far into it and Verhoeven just wanted to make a plain ol sci fi movie.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Crotch Bat posted:

Those countries generally haven't been in an actual war for 70+ years and don't stand any real chance of going to war any time soon (Austria, Finland), or if there is a significant chance of full-on war, it's going to be an existential one (South Korea, Israel). In the US, all of the wars we're fighting and likely to fight in the future are far away and not really crucial to the continued existence of our country or our people.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Emron posted:

Yeah, you’re right, I’m probably reading way too far into it and Verhoeven just wanted to make a plain ol sci fi movie.

Actually, yes. It was only called Starship Troopers because the script they had was basically a knock off, so they just licensed the book. Verhoeven never read it.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
The movie is better than the book

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Sash! posted:

Actually, yes. It was only called Starship Troopers because the script they had was basically a knock off, so they just licensed the book. Verhoeven never read it.

iirc, he read a little bit of it, then quit when he realized it was quasi-fascist garbage and resolved to make the movie as ridiculous and over-the-top as possible to show how stupid the book was.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
Speaking of getting rid of penalties, could they get rid of illegal formation without loving things up?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Pakled posted:

Those countries generally haven't been in an actual war for 70+ years and don't stand any real chance of going to war any time soon (Austria, Finland), or if there is a significant chance of full-on war, it's going to be an existential one (South Korea, Israel). In the US, all of the wars we're fighting and likely to fight in the future are far away and not really crucial to the continued existence of our country or our people.

Right but that's sheer geographical and ideological luck because given our location (surrounded by 2 oceans), our ungodly amount of military power (by leaps and bounds the best navy and air force making footholds on coasts virtually impossible), and the fact our country of 350+ million has more guns than people (even if anyone miracled a foothold on either coast they'd have to fight a heavily armed populace across 3,000 miles of rapidly changing land).

If we ever actually retreat into a more isolationist pre-WWII mindset or just decided to kick back and minimize the standing army we probably will have to move to some sort of conscription. If we're going to insist on carrying the Western world on our military shoulders we have to keep a large standing army which makes conscription unnecessary. Most of that ends up tying into the rest of the world agreeing to continue using the dollar. If China ever manages to convince them to give up the dollar (unlikely not impossible) we're probably going to give the West the finger and take our toys home and play with them alone.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 2, 2018

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Korranus posted:

Man, I miss seeing Oregon fans that had never stepped foot in the Northwest all over Texas. I wonder what jersey those fans wear now.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Spacebump posted:

Man, I miss seeing Oregon fans that had never stepped foot in the Northwest all over Texas. I wonder what jersey those fans wear now.

Oregon -> Baylor -> Clemson

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

This is 1000% correct.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

gonna be odd when UCLA fans are everywhere

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

they missed plenty against zeke a few years back, let alone against mississippi state and auburn just a month ago

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

the mean lunch lady posted:

Speaking of getting rid of penalties, could they get rid of illegal formation without loving things up?

Not really, unless you want to get rid of ineligible downfield like we were talking about earlier (or make everyone eligible). The formation is how eligible receivers are determined.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

PostNouveau posted:

It's never been cool to be a Baylor fan, even when they were winning.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Getting rid of illegal motion is something I'd be down for, though. I want more CFL in my life.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

PostNouveau posted:

Oregon had a hot-as-hell offense back then. Why wouldn't everyone want to tune in for that? They were a loving circus for a few years; it was awesome.

Yeah, the Kelly/Helfrich Ducks' offense was entertaining as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
get rid of illegal motion, all players eligible for receptions, except can't throw past line of scrimmage if anyone is downfield. then make offensive holding legal so that QBs have time for deep bombs

perfect

• Locked thread