Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Orrin Hatch retiring

BRING ON MITTENS :kheldragar: :mitt:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Wait does Hatch not want to ascend to the Presidency? Or does he just believe that events won't put him there before 2018 absolutely crushes the GOP like they fell into the heart of TON 618, giving us President Pelosi instead?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

"Trump always wins!" is a stupid narrative that isn't even true. He constantly fails at everything. I mean he "won" because he got it back when but he lost like 90% of his wealth over the 90s and kept it gone for like two decades. He's lost a ton of businesses, he lost tons of stuff in divorces. Like you can spin it like none of it counts or because he became president that negates all previous failures or something but trump is a loser who is not a magic always wins genine.

We all know he doesn't always win. That's part of the point. He's always loving up. The unusual thing is that he never gets to the endgame stage where he has zero money or credit left, despite spending it like water on lots of massive failures. It doesn't work like this even for most people with inherited wealth, or else you'd never get any "riches to rags" tales - they can make more mistakes than most people, but they can't generally make as many as Trump. It also works with political stuff - most politicians can make one or two gaffes before becoming a laughing stock. Trump made as many gaffes *today* as Hillary did in her whole career.

It's like he's got a cheat code for the universe, where he can play the game like a moron but hammer the "Extra Lives" button every time he gets close to the "Game Over" screen.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Sooo I knew that the Russia investigation wouldn't be a short one but it's what, 6 loving months now? Nothing at all has happened so far.

Are you telling me the absolute dumpster fire that was Trump's campaign managed to never involve the President directly and did everything behind his shoulders? He also did anything in his power to appear as guilty as he could and he's still loving there not giving a poo poo.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Rigel posted:

Bill Shuster (PA-09) announced his retirement. His district has a PVI of R+19 and is 97% white though, so that seat is a reach unless we have a truly epic wave.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

As a believer in the Blue Wave there's no way an R +19 district is vulnerable unless the guy is a pedophile.

But the average swing in 2017 votes was D+15, so half the races went +D even harder. Unless the national mood becomes much more pro-Trump over the next 10 months, that means Dems have a slightly worse than even chance to take his seat, especially losing the incumbency advantage

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Kawabata posted:

Sooo I knew that the Russia investigation wouldn't be a short one but it's what, 6 loving months now? Nothing at all has happened so far.

Are you telling me the absolute dumpster fire that was Trump's campaign managed to never involve the President directly and did everything behind his shoulders? He also did anything in his power to appear as guilty as he could and he's still loving there not giving a poo poo.

Uh, these things take time. A lot of time. 6 months is nothing. Nixon took 2 years.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Love the idea of Mitt "loving" Romney being held up as some sort of paragon of integrity ITT

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Helen Highwater posted:

This is an incredible fusion of post content and poster avatar.

His username is an aircraft engine designation.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Mister Adequate posted:

Wait does Hatch not want to ascend to the Presidency? Or does he just believe that events won't put him there before 2018 absolutely crushes the GOP like they fell into the heart of TON 618, giving us President Pelosi instead?

If events would lead to Hatch ascending to the Presidency, be it in 2018 or 2019, we'd be looking at the end of the Republican Party. That's something he probably doesn't want to be involved with.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

BigglesSWE posted:

The sooner we drop the phrase "global warming" and universally replace it with "global climate change", the better. If only because we get rid of those asinine strawmen arguments from idiots.

Climate Change is the GOP approved version of the term. It was specifically chosen by noted volegroper Frank Luntz back in 2002 to make the concept sound less scary.

quote:

"The scientific debate is closing [against us] but not yet closed. There is still a window of opportunity to challenge the science," Mr Luntz writes in the memo, obtained by the Environmental Working Group, a Washington-based campaigning organisation.

"Voters believe that there is no consensus about global warming within the scientific community. Should the public come to believe that the scientific issues are settled, their views about global warming will change accordingly.

"Therefore, you need to continue to make the lack of scientific certainty a primary issue in the debate."

The phrase "global warming" should be abandoned in favour of "climate change", Mr Luntz says, and the party should describe its policies as "conservationist" instead of "environmentalist", because "most people" think environmentalists are "extremists" who indulge in "some pretty bizarre behaviour... that turns off many voters".

Words such as "common sense" should be used, with pro-business arguments avoided wherever possible.

The environment, the memo says, "is probably the single issue on which Republicans in general - and President Bush in particular - are most vulnerable".

A Republican source, speaking on condition of anonymity, said party strategists agreed with Mr Luntz's conclusion that "many Americans believe Republicans do not care about the environment".

The popular image is that they are "in the pockets of corporate fat cats who rub their hands together and chuckle manically [sic] as they plot to pollute America for fun and profit", Mr Luntz adds.

The phrase "global warming" appeared frequently in President Bush's speeches in 2001, but decreased to almost nothing during 2002, when the memo was produced.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Riptor posted:

Love the idea of Mitt "loving" Romney being held up as some sort of paragon of integrity ITT

You must allow one of a) Charles Manson or b) Bernie Madoff to stay in your home tonight.

You're telling me that you're not relieved that option b is a major scumbag instead of a literal crazy person?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

BarbarianElephant posted:

We all know he doesn't always win. That's part of the point. He's always loving up. The unusual thing is that he never gets to the endgame stage where he has zero money or credit left, despite spending it like water on lots of massive failures. It doesn't work like this even for most people with inherited wealth, or else you'd never get any "riches to rags" tales - they can make more mistakes than most people, but they can't generally make as many as Trump. It also works with political stuff - most politicians can make one or two gaffes before becoming a laughing stock. Trump made as many gaffes *today* as Hillary did in her whole career.

It's like he's got a cheat code for the universe, where he can play the game like a moron but hammer the "Extra Lives" button every time he gets close to the "Game Over" screen.

No, that is stupid. Trump is wildly unpopular, has an eroding base and constantly loses money and businesses. There is no standard that he is a big winner and you are falling for the same thinking that makes him carry around his electoral win map. "hurr durf, I can't be a loser because I won this in the end!"

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Kawabata posted:

6 months is nothing in this type of investigation and to say nothing had happened is disingenuous. There have been multiple federal indictments of former campaign officials. Indictments that surprised the Whitehouse, meaning it's a leak free investigation.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

twice burned ice posted:

You must allow one of a) Charles Manson or b) Bernie Madoff to stay in your home tonight.

You're telling me that you're not relieved that option b is a major scumbag instead of a literal crazy person?

I'll take the dead guy.

But the point is, you're assuming a difference where there isn't one.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Deuce posted:

But I fly planes for a living and the way the thread has been going lately, that apparently makes me guillotine-worthy. Maybe I should buy a mansion.

hahaha

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Kawabata posted:

I mean, from what has been made public so far, they've flipped and indicted a few people directly involved in his campaign and administration. Mueller's team has access to all information, including e-mails, finances, and people, and can further investigate anything that comes up during the main investigation. Things are so far moving quicker than the Nixon investigation.

Mueller's team is filled with the highest-tier of professionals and, if it turns out Trump is guilty of anything, they won't indict one small thing at a time. They will make sure they have everything together so they can indict him for everything all at once.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Riptor posted:

Post the quotes.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

twice burned ice posted:

I'll take Manson now, though he might smell a little.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Mueller's team is filled with the highest-tier of professionals and, if it turns out Trump is guilty of anything, they won't indict one small thing at a time. They will make sure they have everything together so they can indict him for everything all at once.

I'll make sure to bring this post back up when it inevitably fizzles out and we all face to trumpshed.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

I'll make sure to bring this post back up when it inevitably fizzles out and we all face to trumpshed.
I did say, "if it turns out Trump is guilty of anything." I'm about 50/50 on whether Trump himself gets in trouble for anything.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Oh cool, nothing matters, what a fresh hot take here in 2018.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Riptor posted:

Seriously you made this up.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Riptor posted:

I'll take the dead guy.

But the point is, you're assuming a difference where there isn't one.

Romney on abortion:
"One of the great things about our nation ... is that we're each entitled to have strong personal beliefs, and we encourage other people to do the same. But as a nation, we recognize the right of all people to believe as they want and not to impose our beliefs on other people. I believe that abortion should be safe and legal in this country. ... I believe that since Roe v. Wade has been the law for 20 years, that we should sustain and support it, and I sustain and support that law, and the right of a woman to make that choice, and my personal beliefs, like the personal beliefs of other people, should not be brought into a political campaign."

Hatch on abortion:
"On January 22, 1973, the Supreme Court of the United States twisted the Constitution to create a right to kill babies before they are born. Since then, nearly 50 million babies have lost their lives. That is more than 40 times the number of Americans who died in all of our nation’s wars. Those babies were living human beings, and they were killed by abortion."

There's at least one difference between them that's important to me.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

twice burned ice posted:

Romney on abortion:
"One of the great things about our nation ... is that we're each entitled to have strong personal beliefs, and we encourage other people to do the same. But as a nation, we recognize the right of all people to believe as they want and not to impose our beliefs on other people. I believe that abortion should be safe and legal in this country. ... I believe that since Roe v. Wade has been the law for 20 years, that we should sustain and support it, and I sustain and support that law, and the right of a woman to make that choice, and my personal beliefs, like the personal beliefs of other people, should not be brought into a political campaign."

Hatch on abortion:
"On January 22, 1973, the Supreme Court of the United States twisted the Constitution to create a right to kill babies before they are born. Since then, nearly 50 million babies have lost their lives. That is more than 40 times the number of Americans who died in all of our nation’s wars. Those babies were living human beings, and they were killed by abortion."

Something tells me Romney is going to be a little less lenient about abortion when he's not in Massachusetts.

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Uh, these things take time. A lot of time. 6 months is nothing. Nixon took 2 years.

Can someone just leak the script for this season already? I don't want to wait another year to find out if hope is dead forever or not.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Holy poo poo if you can't tell the difference between Milquetoast Romney and Orin Hatch then I don't know what to tell you.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Romney's going to vote in lockstep with the GOP while maintaining an image of being the Responsible Moderate compared to the party's more outwardly-crazy members. On any policy matter of any substance, Romney's just another rubber stamp on Trump's agenda. I guess he's an improvement in that he's unlikely to say anything truly unhinged in public, but I'm having a hard time imagining a scenario in which he votes against the rest of the GOP majority.

I'd bet actual money he never does anything to stand up to Trump beyond tweeting or making some sort of Jeff Flake-style tsk-tsk speech. (Y'know, assuming he gets elected, which seems a reasonably safe assumption given Utah's history.)

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Actually, I believe these were Reagan's SS guards:

It's a Bitburg/Nazi joke.

Is that Eric Holder toward the left?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Mueller laying out his case that Trump conspired with a foreign power to corrupt our electoral process (and is also being black mailed by said foreign power) with hard evidence and testimony and the Republicans shrugging it off should be the point where the entire political media labels the party as going completely rogue, are explicitly against Democracy, and should be opposed to anyone that even pretends to care about the country but haha there's no way they would do that and expect Republicans to give New York Times interviews or show up on their panel debates.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Ague Proof posted:

Seriously you made this up.

yeah all right I overreacted a bit but just the idea that Romney would be an improvement over Hatch implies some degree of integrity on Romney's part, which is demonstrably untrue. for example check out this poo poo:

twice burned ice posted:

Romney on abortion:

Hatch on abortion:

In which twice burned ice cherrypicks a single quote from Romney when he was running for senate in Massachusetts 20+ years ago and ignores the numerous anti-choice positions Romney has taken since then

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

I live in massachusetts so I'm just conditioned to stomp out any iota of support for the dude the second I see it

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
^^^^yuuuuuuuuuup

Riptor posted:

yeah all right I overreacted a bit but just the idea that Romney would be an improvement over Hatch implies some degree of integrity on Romney's part, which is demonstrably untrue. for example check out this poo poo:

In which twice burned ice cherrypicks a single quote from Romney when he was running for senate in Massachusetts 20+ years ago and ignores the numerous anti-choice positions Romney has taken since then

Yeah, I'd like to see what Mittens said about abortion when running against Obama in 2012--I seem to recall him taking a much harder line then.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The choice of different Republicans is how dirty the knife they stab you with is, not if they will actually stab or not (they will).

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Alter Ego posted:

^^^^yuuuuuuuuuup

Yeah, I'd like to see what Mittens said about abortion when running against Obama in 2012--I seem to recall him taking a much harder line then.

from the National Review in 2011:

Romney posted:

I am pro-life and believe that abortion should be limited to only instances of rape, incest, or to save the life of the mother. I support the reversal of Roe vs. Wade, because it is bad law and bad medicine

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
1https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/948248811104817153
2https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/948265851903512577
3https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/948265483555557377
4https://twitter.com/yashar/status/948272676421931009
5https://twitter.com/DavidCornDC/status/948273306779701248
6https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/943590257437691905
7https://twitter.com/srl/status/948255883766784001
8https://twitter.com/stribrooks/status/948267853668585472
9https://twitter.com/DraperRobert/status/948183626700685312
10https://twitter.com/DavidBegnaud/status/948235637022437378
11https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/948211165812940800
12https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/948247975234625537
13https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/948248628010856449
14https://twitter.com/nadabakos/status/948256926827204609
15https://twitter.com/hannahdreier/status/948213498781331456
16https://twitter.com/FT/status/948247920071118848
17https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/948190063640350720
18https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/948197510648123393
19https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/948198357557800960
20https://twitter.com/allymutnick/status/948277251321356288
21https://twitter.com/PamelaPaulNYT/status/948276204842442752
22https://twitter.com/EmilyManna/status/948205089453420544
23https://twitter.com/TimOBrien/status/948225973798961152
24https://twitter.com/max_read/status/948247150365995008
25https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/948249854731587587
https://i.imgur.com/P67keYc.mp4

MAYO FETISH
Feb 15, 2016
"bad medicine"

is not a doctor

Fucken lmao

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Crows Turn Off posted:

I did say, "if it turns out Trump is guilty of anything." I'm about 50/50 on whether Trump himself gets in trouble for anything.

In any remotely competent organization I'd say that of COURSE he was insulated from clear and unequivocal crimes, but uh

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the upside for Romney is probably Jeff Flake but like that's still a relative improvement on Orrin Hatch and his full throated "Trump is the best president of my lifetime" railroad confirmations through committee tenure. Even if Romney does everything Hatch did its a lateral move and if he's 2% less evil than that's a relatively good thing.

He's just not going to be a wall for bad GOP stuff or firebrand voice against the Administration so its nothing to get excited about.

All in all, I'm glad Orrin Hatch's end is near and Trump's day is a little worse for this.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

In any remotely competent organization I'd say that of COURSE he was insulated from clear and unequivocal crimes, but uh

It doesn't help them that they didn't even attempt to hide their corruption since they didn't expect to actually win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

https://twitter.com/pattymo/status/948275981407662086

• Locked thread