Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

There will be two spikes in one million dollar lawsuits taken right to federal court before the end of December.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

big nipples big life posted:

Counterpoint: The Montoya drama is cool and good but by next week we'll probably never hear of it again so it will be back to the lean times.

This is the week that Bobbers Space Industry has to answer the lawsuit, so buckle in.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Good heavens, there's so many different conversations I could choose to dive into today.

Do I
  • Take MoMA to task over the IUCN classification for shortfin mako sharks (I think that's the species we were ragging on him for)
  • Feign outrage at Derek for literally reading some dude's twitter description (Ask not for whom the doxx doxxes, etc)
  • Wade into the reddit SC-Denial-As-Flat-Earth-Theory discussion

I think just to play it safe I'll throw a wrench in the "Is Kayak a dog or a Fish" shitpost series by sharing this picture of what appears to be a dog dressed as a clownfish doing things in the ocean

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Combat Theory posted:

Counterpoint

By next week we will discuss the second chapter in Papa Cryteks story of how to sue the Crobberts jpeg factory because CIGs answer is due within a day or two now

Isn't the likely response "We deny all allegations; please give us 3 months"

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

CIG only hires the best and brightest in the industry, it's a team of game-making superstars led by the biggest name in gaming, etc...

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Beet Wagon posted:

Good heavens, there's so many different conversations I could choose to dive into today.

Do I
  • Take MoMA to task over the IUCN classification for shortfin mako sharks (I think that's the species we were ragging on him for)
  • Feign outrage at Derek for literally reading some dude's twitter description (Ask not for whom the doxx doxxes, etc)
  • Wade into the reddit SC-Denial-As-Flat-Earth-Theory discussion

I think just to play it safe I'll throw a wrench in the "Is Kayak a dog or a Fish" shitpost series by sharing this picture of what appears to be a dog dressed as a clownfish doing things in the ocean

They're listed as vulnerable:

"The present status of the shortfin mako shark in state and federal waters off California is not known but is of some concern (Taylor and Holts 2001). This is mainly because adult mako sharks do not frequent California's coastal waters. A possible threat to the mako population off California and in the eastern Pacific would be the potential for over-development of fisheries within the coastal nursery. Therefore, continued efforts to monitor the Shortfin Mako shark juveniles are needed."

0.4 - 3.4 caught per 1000 hooks. They're likely more a concern on the Atlantic.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

It's a prop artist

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Nice piece of fish posted:

This is a real loving good post right here, it's so on the money Chris Roberts might try to defraud you for it.

It's weird too, because even given the limitations of the ED universe, engine and system it shouldn't be that hard to fill it with some sort of quality gameplay. I mean, you have a great space sim with the mechanics and everything, right there. Right there! And everything is a suckfest of proc gen bullshit. The only way to play it is to invent your own goals after you've cheesed the gently caress out of the artificial content locks (money) so as not to go spacemad from delivering two hundred loving thousand (not exaggerating) space livers to the local HIP 246947 Generic Faction of Faction Faction #5.

Frontier diligently assembled all the people and tech needed to deliver the must own vehicle of a generation, and with them, they built a monorail system.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If derek actually uses the test guy I will buy lod, print the manual and eat it.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Counterpoint: The Montoya drama is cool and good but by next week we'll probably never hear of it again so it will be back to the lean times.

When is the next big event? We all might need to start rationing the laughs to make it until then. Unforced errors on CIG's part usually provide enough meat for a week, maybe more but we may begin to eat each other before the Summer harvest.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

This is a real loving good post right here, it's so on the money Chris Roberts might try to defraud you for it.

:laffo:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SoftNum posted:

Isn't the likely response "We deny all allegations; please give us 3 months"

Yeah, that won't fly. They'll need to address the points to see if the thing will go to trial; this is the opportunity for them to whip out the receipts and get the whole thing thrown out, or modified.

Unfortunately, Skadden went the route of using their own words against RSI, in a jury trial, which means it's really hard for them to clarify what they meant by 'We're building two games!' beyond the material fact that they decided to make two games.

Two courses of action; Settle out of court, which is preferable to RSI. No admission of liability or guilt, and they can agree a joint statement saying that it was just a huge misunderstanding and everyone is friends. I don't think this is going to happen because Crytek are intimating malfeasance in the original contract and they're going in hard; Jury trial for technical issues is risky.

Or fight it, which I think is also a hell of a loser. Strategically I'd go for the 'misunderstanding' angle without actually seeing the correspondence between the parties and try to get a summary judgement based on 'fixing things', but Skadden don't seem that interested.

Sure, these things move slowly once the case is engaged, but the initial stages tend to run quickly.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
So we're just going too pretend Derek never outed his alt by accident yesterday?

Blaegis1
Jul 13, 2016
So I've been reading John Scalzi's Old Man's War series somebody mentioned earlier in the thread (thanks, BTW) and in the second one they refer to an experimental space bike as "chariot". Is that where the euphemism is from, lol?

Quote: "Well, explode is not quite the accurate word. The physics for what really goes on are much weirder, I assure you."

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Toops posted:

This is a pretty common argument, and in my view it's very short-sighted and obtuse. It's not my place to tell people what's fun, but here's my rough hourly breakdown in Elite:

Hours 1-5: God drat, this is amazing. I can travel to every point of light in the sky! It feels like I'm flying a ship! I can land on space stations, get in space fights, upgrade my ship... Cool! Let's see if I can find something fun to do.
Hours 5-6: Running missions for a pittance of credits. Light arithmetic shows that it will take 356.6666 hours to upgrade to a better ship just running missions.
Hours 6-7: Reading reddit about what's fun to do that might yield some credits towards actual progression.
Hours 7-15: Grinding REC to get a better ship so I can have a suitable ship for finding fun things to do.
Hours 15-20: Get a Vulture but sick of grinding REC, so go see what exploration is all about
Hours 20-30: Go back to mindlessly grinding REC to save up credits, because exploration is simply a meditation on the emptiness of space and the inherent meaninglessness in the occasional mote of icy dead matter floating in it, and sometimes I come home from work braindead so it's nice to do something mindless.
Hours 30-31: Planning some trading routes because maybe trading is fun
Hours 31-32: Discovering trading is not even remotely fun, it's a paper-thin mechanic so void and depressing that makes me consider whether I'm wasting my life, and that maybe video games "just aren't for me" anymore.
Hours 32-40: Retreating to grinding REC to get a python kitted for mining, because maybe mining is fun
Hours 40-41: Finding some suitable mining areas
Hours 41-50: Discovering mining is yet another paper-thin mechanic with no redeeming value, and a hopeless waste of time in terms of credits/hr
<quit game in utter disgust, vowing never to play it again>
Hours 50-51: After breaking my vow, read on reddit about what to do in "The Engineers"
Hours 51-60: Discovering "The Engineers" is just another paper-thin mechanic for you to upgrade your ship so you can do any number of paper-thin, mind-numbingly boring things

So yeah. Did I get a lot of "value" out of those 60 hours? gently caress no. I spent those 60 hours grinding through timewalled rand() mechanics masquerading as "gameplay" trying to find some semblance of god drat game design in Elite, and I failed.

If you enjoy it, cool. But you saying "hey they have 100 hours, they must agree game is good!" is like saying "Hey, you spent 4 hours in bumper-to-bumper traffic today, you must love your car!"

the biggest thing that gets to me is the endless possibility they have made in tech.
only to loving stumble in loving minor issues that should not be a issue :negative:
also exploration is actually quite fun. But only once in every 500 jumps when you find weird planet or stellar view on nebula/galaxy.

Elite isnt total shitfest disaster and that just makes the failings hurt so much more.
Its easy to laugh at star citizen because its clear as day that CIG cant fulfill CR's insane vision.
But with Elite they made what was promised ( expect for offline mode) and then proceed to make everything as grindy/unfun as possible, because big whales want immersion over all sensible things :(
The wasted potential, thats just loving maddening.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Lladre posted:

So we're just going too pretend Derek never outed his alt by accident yesterday?

I don't even know why he would need an alt.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Elite Dangerous is technologically impressive, looks slick, and is faithful to the developer's vision.

A lot of people don't find it fun though. I'm one of those. I own it. I played it for a while. I can appreciate it on it's technical and artistic merits while acknowledging that the gameplay elements are very shallow and repetitive. At the end of the day - if something isn't fun or engaging (or addictive in the case of many mobile games) why should I spend my time on it?

But it is a complete product. Frontier declared what they were going to make and then they went and made it. They focused on the core technology and infrastructure before adding in all the bells and whistles. There were a few missteps which they weren't able to deliver such as offline mode but for the most part they didn't make unrealistic promises that they didn't have the capability or time to execute. I never had any doubts that Frontier would be able to make Elite Dangerous. They made and delivered a product - one that sadly doesn't appeal to me - but a complete product nevertheless.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ManofManyAliases posted:

They're listed as vulnerable:

"The present status of the shortfin mako shark in state and federal waters off California is not known but is of some concern (Taylor and Holts 2001). This is mainly because adult mako sharks do not frequent California's coastal waters. A possible threat to the mako population off California and in the eastern Pacific would be the potential for over-development of fisheries within the coastal nursery. Therefore, continued efforts to monitor the Shortfin Mako shark juveniles are needed."

0.4 - 3.4 caught per 1000 hooks. They're likely more a concern on the Atlantic.

That's true, I believe they are at larger risk in the Atlantic. I had forgotten your trip was in California for some reason. However, your own quote puts the lie to your line of "there's plenty of em." Quite frankly, the population of shortfin mako in the Pacific just isn't known.

fisheries.noaa.gov posted:

Scientists have not assessed shortfin mako sharks in the Pacific, so the population status and fishing rate are unknown.

In any case, your one shark didn't tip the balance one way or another, since the bigger threats are commercial fisheries and bycatch, but I still think you're kind of an rear end in a top hat for eating it.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

XK posted:

I don't even know why he would need an alt.

Simple. So that he can read all the posts he has blocked on his main account.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Lladre posted:

I thought that was just an extremely clever joke on the part of Dusty Lens, but I also wasn't paying attention that much. Was I wrong, because that's the kind of comedy I can get behind.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I don't believe in auras or energy fields around people or any of that poo poo. That said, I am 100% certain that there is an aura or energy field around Sandi that makes her a loving terrible, atrocious "actress" at all times. Every cell in her body, every hair on her head, every red blood cell, every molecule of oxygen in her lungs absolutely screams "LOOK AT ME I'M AN ACTRESS AND I'M ACTING AND I'M ON CAMERA LOOK AT ME." It's absolutely amazing. I've seen bad movies with bad actors (the NOOOO troll meme comes to mind) and I've seen movies where a good actor is trying to portray a bad actor, so they do it on purpose (Robert De Niro did this across Shatner of all people.)

None of them even approaches how loving awful this woman is. Even her still pictures come across like she's an alien trying to imitate HUU-MONN behavior without a reference point. I'm not saying this to pile on Sandi, it has nothing to do with Star Citizen, but that woman is probably the only living, breathing example of the uncanny valley I've ever seen.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
Okay, so quick question: has the "controversial" filter always been on the menu bar or r/sc or did it get put back recently?

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/controversial/

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I would sell myself to the stimpire to be a juror for this trial

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

hot balls man no homo posted:

Okay, so quick question: has the "controversial" filter always been on the menu bar or r/sc or did it get put back recently?

See the last line in the yellow text

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

hot balls man no homo posted:

:laffo: second from the top is "Why do people grief in 3.0"

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7nhpzd/why_do_people_grief_in_30/

:reddit: posted:

I've all but given up going to any outpost to trade now. I've been blown up by players who just shoot any ship that lands once the pilot enters the airlock. I don't understand why anyone would do this- what do they have to gain?

The worst part is that when they do this the pads get filled with ship debris which don't allow ships to get landing clearance or call a new ship. Basically you have to re-log. The people that I have seen do this seem to really enjoy that they're ruining the experience of the Alpha for quite a few people. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for pirates doing their thing, but when these guys have nothing to gain it just seems like trolling.

quote:

Honestly, I'd rather see the grief now when CiG can work out solutions to mitigate it, than once the game goes live. The turrets at Ollisar are a start. Once Subsumption is ready to tackle policing, we'll see some greater challenges for would-be griefers.

Oh you poor, simple man. CIG will never be able to stop it.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

i'm super confused about the derek alt thing

there is no way someone that far up their own rear end would use anything other than their name

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Phi230 posted:

I would sell myself to the stimpire to be a juror for this trial

I can't stop laughing at the knowledge that at some point in the last few weeks, it was a paralegal's job to transcribe the fourth stimpire text for Skadden's records.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

https://twitter.com/DavidBraben/status/948291164888846337

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

quote:

It'll be interesting to see how they handle the difference between "legitimate piracy" (piracy that is engaging and brings immersion to the game albeit frustrating) and just plain old asshatitude. People would poop their pants if they incorporated it - but I think they need to add something to the extent of not being able to play the game for, I dunno, 12 hours if you get caught by the authorities after blowing up ship or stealing ships several times in a short period of time.

:aaaaa:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Age of Wushu did that and it owned. You got to go into jail and your friends could bust you out, or you can just hang out with other prisoners and play Go. We once got a person to lose an election or something because we baited him into killing someone before it and locked him up so he couldn't participate.

If you were a bad man for long enough and hard enough the server would send super assassins after you and once killed you would be put in jail and executed the next day.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Combat Theory posted:

See the last line in the yellow text

Wow, that was like a week ago. New year, new r/sc! They don't give a gently caress anymore! Let the shitposts commence!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Lladre posted:

HOw did he out it?

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Star Citizen needs a space court and space jail. And a space impound where you bust your space ship out of after you've been freed from your space cell.

I'm sure this would only take a few hours to make.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

quote:

Once Subsumption is ready to tackle policing, we'll see some greater challenges for would-be griefers.

:laffo:

There is no "subsumption" Redditors. Chris Roberts' mouth is a lot like a bovine's anus - if it's open, bullshit is coming out.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

It's weird too, because even given the limitations of the ED universe, engine and system it shouldn't be that hard to fill it with some sort of quality gameplay. I mean, you have a great space sim with the mechanics and everything, right there. Right there! And everything is a suckfest of proc gen bullshit. The only way to play it is to invent your own goals after you've cheesed the gently caress out of the artificial content locks (money) so as not to go spacemad from delivering two hundred loving thousand (not exaggerating) space livers to the local HIP 246947 Generic Faction of Faction Faction #5.

It’s the wasted potential that really pisses me off.

G0RF posted:

Frontier diligently assembled all the people and tech needed to deliver the must own vehicle of a generation, and with them, they built a monorail system.

It’s like they built the most incredible, smooth-running, low-emissions high-speed monorail in history. I mean, this thing is the utter pinnacle of stylish, comfortable yet efficient travel, designed so passengers can admire the magnificent landscape as they float effortlessly across it.

Then made the fuckin’ thing run in a big rear end loop through a dingy tunnel under Siberia with 0 stops.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Beet Wagon posted:

That's true, I believe they are at larger risk in the Atlantic. I had forgotten your trip was in California for some reason. However, your own quote puts the lie to your line of "there's plenty of em." Quite frankly, the population of shortfin mako in the Pacific just isn't known.

In any case, your one shark didn't tip the balance one way or another, since the bigger threats are commercial fisheries and bycatch, but I still think you're kind of an rear end in a top hat for eating it.

I've never eaten shark before, and likely never again. And, the one shark I fished fed all the parties on my boat - we walked with over 70 steaks. The rest was used by the crew as bait.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Lladre posted:

Simple. So that he can read all the posts he has blocked on his main account.

all the posts that he'd just need to click "jerk detected" to read? the posts that he quotes anyways?

those posts?

i can't tell if lladre is :thejoke: or just taking a joke post by dusty lens at literal face value

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

Oh you poor, simple man. CIG will never be able to stop it.

The beauty of it that they'll see Goons everywhere, removing the requirement to actually login to the actual game.

there is no way someone that far up their own rear end would use anything other than their name

I agree with BNBL and Derek. Derek has no need of alts because he's pretty much all there, but a Derek alt like me would say that.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Age of Wushu did that and it owned. You got to go into jail and your friends could bust you out, or you can just hang out with other prisoners and play Go. We once got a person to lose an election or something because we baited him into killing someone before it and locked him up so he couldn't participate.

If you were a bad man for long enough and hard enough the server would send super assassins after you and once killed you would be put in jail and executed the next day.

That's pretty good. I like that.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

I've never eaten shark before, and likely never again. And, the one shark I fished fed all the parties on my boat - we walked with over 70 steaks. The rest was used by the crew as bait.
how you gonna kill something and then not eat it

like I'll never hunt deer (or really anything) again but you goddamn bet I ate anything I murdered out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Everyone get to court! We will work out who is suing who later