Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Kebab-Case-For-Life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Aaronicon posted:

Kebab-Case-For-Life

This is filthy and I love it

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Taffer posted:

If you're going to alter naming for local vars why not use hungarian notation instead, seeing as it's something of a real convention already? But the real answer is that you should do neither because a good IDE can make it immediately obvious which variables are local or not, and well designed functions (i.e. small ones) will be easy enough to read that it's obvious without any help like that.

I see this argument a lot for certain style guidelines; but it assumes that code will always be read in an IDE that is properly configured to do so. Maybe a valid assumption in some development environments, but it has never been valid in any I've ever worked in.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Aaronicon posted:

Kebab-Case-For-Life

I guess my stomach bug is done because I'm legit hungry now.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I saw a style guide recently (maybe for Angular?) that said to just use normal variable casing for constants, because all uppercase is hard to read and your IDE will identify constants anyway.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Glad this isn’t the coding horror thread because I’m likely the horror, but I hate all of these “Your IDE will do it for you” ideas. Yes, my main IDE will do it for me, but I wonder:

1) How many people have full context highlighting diff tool attached to their git diff?
2) Have github’s browser showing full local vs constant?
3) Ever hop in a different IDE based on need? Jetbrains vs Sublime text for instance?
4) Ever drop to the command line with a vim invocation that may not have the whole project set up?
5) Have an online code review system that you read code in like FishEye or Code Collaborator?
6) Ever send or receive a snippet of code in HipChat or Slack that lacks the full context to highlight anything beyond what the language does?
Etc...

95% of the time the IDE is there, but *I* at least run into 5% where it’s not in one of those above. And most of those times in that 5% it’s pretty drat critical to know the difference because you’re doing it for an outliner of an issue anyway.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don't typically use IDEs so :colbert:

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Imagine you were a contruction worker and you just told me that you dig sewer lines by hand.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

I will grant that you could have created some custom thing using tmux or whatever, but I will never understand the pride of a tool maker about not using tools.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Genuine question. Without looking, what would you guess I work on?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

very high level scripting where the scripts are at most 100 lines long. For that, an IDE is definitely not needed, nano does the job quite well. For anything more, one needs to be a special kind of masochist to enjoy it and keep at it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Pollyanna posted:

I might have looked but I would guess JavaScript or another sufficiently-dynamic language. I have been pretty much all-in for IDEs since Turbo C++, but they had far less value when I could not navigate well with them.

A particular event with Python happened some years ago with IDEs. We had previously been doing C# and had ReSharper licenses, so I eventually learned about PyCharm. I remember telling my boss PyCharm was "apparently God's gift to Python" and I would assess it. I came back a day later with my hair turned completely white to confirm that yes--YES--it was that much better.

Eventually I was doing Django stuff and Angular and decided I might need the commercial features. Suddenly it started to call out most of my bullshit in the JavaScript files too.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Pollyanna posted:

IIRC you did some Ruby and webshit, so I am gonna guess JS and webshit now? :v:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Cocaine and Pity

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

geeves posted:

Cocaine and Pity

I was just going to say Pity, but yeah, Cocaine as well.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

We know that’s why you were so confused by the greatness that is JetBrains products *ducks*

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Does SublimeText count as an IDE?
I've been annoyed with devs before who couldn't read a diff on GitHub or a code snippet because they didn't have their precious IDE handy...I guess I'm a carpenter who refuses to use power tools...

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
You shouldn't underestimate the amount of discipline that following variable conventions instills. Your editor might be 100% perfect at picking up local vs global, private vs public, etc. But if you have a convention readily available reading the code becomes easier. You don't have to remember (say) that a particular variable is a public int value; you just have to remember the naming convention. And code is read more often than it's written.

Not saying everyone should use Hungarian notation, or even extremely rigid conventions (I don't), but keeping in mind consistency is important because you're not having to juggle tons of extra stuff in your head, even when you have an IDE with tons of extra tools at your disposal.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

vonnegutt posted:

I've been annoyed with devs before who couldn't read a diff on GitHub or a code snippet because they didn't have their precious IDE handy...I guess I'm a carpenter who refuses to use power tools...

With thirty or so plugins it sure can. Some people at work do all their development in SublimeText. I use it when I need to quickly find some random script in a git repo of 1000+ random scripts. (Don’t ask, please, please Don’t ask.)

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

You shouldn't underestimate the amount of discipline that following variable conventions instills. Your editor might be 100% perfect at picking up local vs global, private vs public, etc. But if you have a convention readily available reading the code becomes easier. You don't have to remember (say) that a particular variable is a public int value; you just have to remember the naming convention. And code is read more often than it's written.

Not saying everyone should use Hungarian notation, or even extremely rigid conventions (I don't), but keeping in mind consistency is important because you're not having to juggle tons of extra stuff in your head, even when you have an IDE with tons of extra tools at your disposal.

Exactly. A convention should be followed, consistent within at least the individual project (though I personally don't care if there is a different style between projects). The IDE is there to make following it easy and automatic - little squiggly lines when things don't fit the convention and full refactoring in a single click is the best.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

vonnegutt posted:

SublimeText counts as nano not an IDE. A tad better than writing code using butterflies. As for developer's ability to read a git diff without a git UI ... that's a different issue altogether. One should be able to write C code with nano, but one cannot argue that it is more efficient than a full featured IDE (well, they can argue of course, but they'd be obviously wrong).

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Hughlander posted:

With thirty or so plugins it sure can. Some people at work do all their development in SublimeText. I use it when I need to quickly find some random script in a git repo of 1000+ random scripts. (Don’t ask, please, please Don’t ask.)

Yes this. Vim with appropriate plugins can work similarly. IIRC there's that YouCompleteMe plugin for vim that makes it a very good C++ editor. I was actually starting to get into vim so that I could work on that, but both my personal and professional hobbies have taken me away from C++ lately. Then JetBrains pooped out CLion.

However, I remember having this IDE chat with a coworker ~6 years ago when they were working on tens of thousands of lines of C# and says, "Vi's all the IDE I ever need" :smug: and wheels around to show a virgin vi terminal. IIRC he had contributed something like double-digits of code to that project. Either that's all he needed personally because that's all he had to do, or that's all he was capable of doing.

A few years back I finally understood the scope of the elitist macho that pervades a certain amount of software development. I am sure people can trace this to other cultures of engineering. I had the disease too because I had learned C++ so young and had my head up my rear end over it. I finally did some Perl scripting when I was 20 for my first internship and realized that when your tools make things simpler, you compensate by tackling harder problems. And furthermore, when you employ good software development conventions, they make certain things simpler so you can tackle harder problems. So I can sit smug about hand-optimizing a loop in C++ or pick the right rough algorithm from a library, move on, and probably have a faster solution at the end. Oddly enough, working in a performance analysis job taught me this when I would have figured it would have reinforced it instead, but I was also doing this for the sake of improving compilers, so I guess it did a lot to show me how good compilers can be.

Uhhh disclaimer here: I'm not making GBS threads on C++ developers in general, by the way, and I am sure the seasoned C++ developers know people I am talking about and want to lobotomize them with rusty screwdrivers.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Volguus posted:

SublimeText counts as nano not an IDE. A tad better than writing code using butterflies. As for developer's ability to read a git diff without a git UI ... that's a different issue altogether. One should be able to write C code with nano, but one cannot argue that it is more efficient than a full featured IDE (well, they can argue of course, but they'd be obviously wrong).
This is silly. Virtually any editor anyone uses is more fully featured than nano, and generally has out of the box enough functionality to write code on large projects spanning many files. With plugins they gain a ton of features that can match the features of a ton of IDEs. vim, emacs, SublimeText, Code, Atom...any text editor widely used by developers has the tools necessary to write code, and write it well.

Use the best tools for the job; that can be an IDE, or it might be a fully-featured text editor. People shouldn't worry about tools too much, especially the tools other people use. If you are good at what you do and use good tools, you'll get good results. Nobody's hamstringing themselves because they use SublimeText instead of a Jetbrains product or Visual Studio--even if they'd be perfectly fine with those (and I do love Visual Studio)!

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Nobody's hamstringing themselves because they use SublimeText instead of a Jetbrains product or Visual Studio--even if they'd be perfectly fine with those (and I do love Visual Studio)!

Rocko Bonaparte would have to disagree:

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

However, I remember having this IDE chat with a coworker ~6 years ago when they were working on tens of thousands of lines of C# and says, "Vi's all the IDE I ever need" :smug: and wheels around to show a virgin vi terminal. IIRC he had contributed something like double-digits of code to that project. Either that's all he needed personally because that's all he had to do, or that's all he was capable of doing.

The point is: use the tools that actually help you do the job, not the tools that make you look cool in the eyes of the co-workers. I used Borland C++ 3.0 back in the day. No, I do not want to use Borland C++ 3.0 ever again if I can help it.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yes this. Vim with appropriate plugins can work similarly. IIRC there's that YouCompleteMe plugin for vim that makes it a very good C++ editor. I was actually starting to get into vim so that I could work on that, but both my personal and professional hobbies have taken me away from C++ lately. Then JetBrains pooped out CLion.

A few years back I finally understood the scope of the elitist macho that pervades a certain amount of software development. I am sure people can trace this to other cultures of engineering. I had the disease too because I had learned C++ so young and had my head up my rear end over it. I finally did some Perl scripting when I was 20 for my first internship and realized that when your tools make things simpler, you compensate by tackling harder problems. And furthermore, when you employ good software development conventions, they make certain things simpler so you can tackle harder problems. So I can sit smug about hand-optimizing a loop in C++ or pick the right rough algorithm from a library, move on, and probably have a faster solution at the end. Oddly enough, working in a performance analysis job taught me this when I would have figured it would have reinforced it instead, but I was also doing this for the sake of improving compilers, so I guess it did a lot to show me how good compilers can be.

Uhhh disclaimer here: I'm not making GBS threads on C++ developers in general, by the way, and I am sure the seasoned C++ developers know people I am talking about and want to lobotomize them with rusty screwdrivers.

As someone who uses vim for C# development, I would be completely useless without omnisharp-vim. And by completely useless, I mean I would use VS because I’m not dain bramaged.

I also try not to recommend vim to people, because I run into too many people that are all “I love vim, I use it for everything :smug:” that barely know how to switch modes and have no configs. But they read a blog post from someone once and now they refuse to use functional tools or put in the [excessive, poor use of] time to make vim useful and understood.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
The educated vim user understands they persevered long enough to do permanent damage to their psyche such that they can no longer use other editors, and therefore understands to not recommend that sunk cost to any more people so long as they live. (Uhh, I’m a vim user, very tricked out config though)

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Maluco Marinero posted:

The educated vim user understands they persevered long enough to do permanent damage to their psyche such that they can no longer use other editors, and therefore understands to not recommend that sunk cost to any more people so long as they live. (Uhh, I’m a vim user, very tricked out config though)

:geno::hf::geno:

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
I'm thankful that there are enough broken people out there that vim bindings exist for nearly everywhere I might want to edit text, but it sure would be nice to not have to flail around helplessly when faced with a normal text box.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

We had to do a hotfix on the 26th that involved a cronjob. Crontab -e opens a vi editor and I had a giggle has my cto stumbled around going wtf is this how to i add a new line.

I didn't know either. I use nano when I'm ssh'd.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Plorkyeran posted:

I'm thankful that there are enough broken people out there that vim bindings exist for nearly everywhere I might want to edit text, but it sure would be nice to not have to flail around helplessly when faced with a normal text box.

You have this plugin, don't you? http://www.viemu.com/viemu-vi-vim-word-outlook.html

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Can anyone explain to me why anyone uses vim for any reason? If you're doing normal coding why would you not use an IDE or at least a good editor like sublime? Even when I'm in CLI I use nano, because gently caress vim and all its byzantine nonsense.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Taffer posted:

Can anyone explain to me why anyone uses vim for any reason? If you're doing normal coding why would you not use an IDE or at least a good editor like sublime? Even when I'm in CLI I use nano, because gently caress vim and all its byzantine nonsense.

played a lot of nethack

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Taffer posted:

I do not use an IDEA if I have to open a large text file for any reason. IntelliJ and others may just slow to a crawl if not shut down entirely, even on files as small as 1mb.

If I have a file over that size (even smaller) using a lighter weight program is preferable because usually at that point I'm looking for errors or looking to do large scale search and replace testing and using Text Wrangler or vim through Terminal is the better way to go.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Can any of the vim brokebrains explain their general text editing thought process? It's a serious question. The impression I got from vim was to think of the individual characters positionally in space and exploit vim's character navigation to get exactly where you want to go from where you started in as few keystrokes as possible.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Learned it and emacs writing C on Solaris machines fifteen years ago. Ended up settling on vim over emacs as a matter of happenstance.

If you need an IDE, use an IDE of course. But if you need a text editor, there’s not a compelling reason to prefer Sublime or Emacs Or Vim over the others, really - just use the one that feels good. I used Sublime for about a year ‘cause that’s what everybody else on my team used and I didn’t want to be the odd man out for pair programming and stuff, but ended up back on vim.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

VIM is nice when you want to just see the code and nothing else, IDEs tend to be visibly slow and showing a lot of unnecessary detail. It's a bit difficult to beat the performance when remotely editing files.

I only modify VIM to save per-file edit position, I cannot remember pretty much anything more than the simple editing functions. Copy & paste is utterly awful and I usually hop into Sublime to do that :derp:

I work in a domain that the debugging features are usually of no assistance though, that's my excuse. Plus project management is usually totally retarded in MSVC.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 2, 2018

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I learned Unix sysadmin back in the early 90s far before I was even semi-competent at coding and on those old RS-6000 boxes running AIX vi was the best I’d get. Not even vim proper was possible on those machines with the way they were locked down. I was earning my graybeard before I even had facial hair :smug:

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Taffer posted:

You have to use vi when working on a freshly installed *NIX os as most do not install nano by default, even if the extent is to change the config files just enough so that you can install packages. Nowadays is no longer that much of a problem as it has sane defaults and one can kinda do without vi, but 20 years ago it was mandatory. Plus EDITOR is set by default to vi so even a simple crontab -e gives you vi.

But that's all. Learn to edit & save & exit and you're golden.

Votlook
Aug 20, 2005
I work at a small company with a few other devs, the CEO just informed us that the CTO (my direct manager) will be devoting all his time on completely rewriting our core product completely on his own, and no longer manage the dev team.

I should start sending out resumes, right?

Votlook fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Can any of the vim brokebrains explain their general text editing thought process? It's a serious question. The impression I got from vim was to think of the individual characters positionally in space and exploit vim's character navigation to get exactly where you want to go from where you started in as few keystrokes as possible.

Honestly if you just learn like 5 commands and VsVim instead of actual vim it's not that bad.

I really only know the basic navigation and copy/paste/delete/find/replace/quit and it's pretty nice.

Though I find it usually takes me longer to make a macro or find/replace regex that works than it would be to make all the changes manually. BUT I DID IT WITHOUT A MOUSE SO ITS AWESOME