Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Back on Hifumi, what do you think her Phantom Thief codename and Persona would be if she wasn't dropped as a party member?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
Checkmate seems to be about the right level of complete lack of subtlety. Persona-wise, I dunno, Zhuge Liang? He's about the only strategist type character I can think of who'd fit the 'rebellion' theme, and it's not the discrepancy between the fictional portrayal and his real life activities are any wider than with Goemon.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Wasn't she going to be Queen before they handed that off to Makoto? I thought I remembered hearing that somewhere.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I don't think there's been any confirmation of that.

I dunno about codenames ("Empress" would fit but that's an Arcana name), but Fa Mulan seems like a decent pick for a Persona considering her SL is partly about her femininity being used as a weapon.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

kvx687 posted:

Checkmate seems to be about the right level of complete lack of subtlety. Persona-wise, I dunno, Zhuge Liang? He's about the only strategist type character I can think of who'd fit the 'rebellion' theme, and it's not the discrepancy between the fictional portrayal and his real life activities are any wider than with Goemon.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I dunno about codenames ("Empress" would fit but that's an Arcana name), but Fa Mulan seems like a decent pick for a Persona considering her SL is partly about her femininity being used as a weapon.

Either of those characters as Personas would've been amazing and seem to fit the theme of P5 well.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Arist posted:

...OK, take care.

Huh, so we're actually doing something about the person trying to ruin Takemi's life. And I'm guessing we'll get to do the same to the folks blackmailing Kawakami and the chairman Chihaya is talking about?

I get that it fits with the game's themes and that the folks in question are huge assholes, but I just find it a little weird to have Maaku take such an active role in a social link like this.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

amigolupus posted:

Huh, so we're actually doing something about the person trying to ruin Takemi's life. And I'm guessing we'll get to do the same to the folks blackmailing Kawakami and the chairman Chihaya is talking about?

I get that it fits with the game's themes and that the folks in question are huge assholes, but I just find it a little weird to have Maaku take such an active role in a social link like this.

But he does. In most of them.

Why shouldn't we bring the hammer down on some of these jerks?

I'm honestly sad we can't beat them up because some of them (like the Takases) deserve a good thrashing.

Alas, P5 is realistic about these things. Cannot beat up jerks no matter how much you hate them.

Blademaster_Aio fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 2, 2018

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I did not realize that was the first such request we'd received, so I need to apologize for that. I added a short few sentences to the related segment explaining it, but here it is in case you don't want to search for it:

Arist posted:

Yep, a request. Some of the Mementos requests we'll receive are Confidant-bound, requiring us to take care of... obstacles to our progression in the related person's story. It's a really neat thing that pushes forward the game's themes, even if it means more Mementos.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Confidant Mementos is where at points we fight people who are arguably worse than some of the main Palace targets.

It's really hosed up.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Confidant Mementos is where at points we fight people who are arguably worse than some of the main Palace targets.

It's really hosed up.
So, judging by how awful the past three Palace targets were (I'm excluding Wakaba since she's technically not a target), we're going to be facing Totally Not Nyarly Dressed Up As Hitler, aren't we?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

AradoBalanga posted:

So, judging by how awful the past three Palace targets were (I'm excluding Wakaba since she's technically not a target), we're going to be facing Totally Not Nyarly Dressed Up As Hitler, aren't we?

Some of them are pretty bad, but not totally evil in that way. Maybe more bad in a banal but still pretty awful manner, but not nega-Hitler bad.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

AradoBalanga posted:

Sunglasses Hitler is a force not even #Millenials can deal with.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Sunglasses Hitler is a force not even #Millenials can deal with.
drat, so much for Nyarly as a bonus boss. Oh well, next time maybe.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I still have no idea why Hitler shows up in Persona, nor why they thought using his title but giving him sunglasses was any form of censorship.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I still have no idea why Hitler shows up in Persona, nor why they thought using his title but giving him sunglasses was any form of censorship.

Because Japan, I guess.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I still have no idea why Hitler shows up in Persona,

Because Nyarlathotep is a bombastic rear end in a top hat who was making a point about the evils of humanity.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

nor why they thought using his title but giving him sunglasses was any form of censorship.

Because CERO, the japanese version of ESRB, added a rule against any real historical figures appearing in video games between the time of the original release of the game and the PSP remake and Atlus was making a point of telling them to gently caress off as hard as they possibly could while still getting away with it.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Maybe they could have not used hitler in their game in the first place

just a thought

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Stroth posted:

Because CERO, the japanese version of ESRB, added a rule against any real historical figures appearing in video games between the time of the original release of the game and the PSP remake and Atlus was making a point of telling them to gently caress off as hard as they possibly could while still getting away with it.

Must make playing FIFA awkward in Japan.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

amigolupus posted:

There is a rough theme that each game has in regards to social links. P3 for the most part the mc is an enabler and while eventually the social links figure out how to grow, the mc plays no part in it. For P4 the mc is kind of like a therapist. He gives the characters a chance to vent and voice their concerns and doubts so that they can start to grow again. There is some involvement but since for the most part the issues are internal, they can be handled without direct intervention. P5 is all about helping people break free of the shackles forced upon the weak by those in power so by definition the mc has to have an active role in doing that so that once the chains are broken, the social link characters can once more grow.

Also it should be interesting to see just how everyone ranks the sl requests.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

GeneX posted:

Maybe they could have not used hitler in their game in the first place

just a thought

Kinda hard to have rumors about the third rich without him

C. Everett Koop posted:

Must make playing FIFA awkward in Japan.
the key word is historical.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

cdyoung posted:

Kinda hard to have rumors about the third rich without him

yes, correct, they could have also not used nazis at all

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Stroth posted:

This would seem to make games set in historical eras where real historical figures are important to the storyline impossible to make. Like, say, fictionalized accounts of the Sengoku Jidai...

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

GeneX posted:

So, what, is Wolfenstein a bad game because it has nazis's in it?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GeneX posted:

Does the game go on to say that Hitler was a great guy or something? I've never played or watched/read an LP of Persona 2 so I'm not sure what your issue with that is. All I know is that was far enough back in time that Nazis were an easy way to classify someone as an 'enemy' in game without any 'they're just doing their job!' or 'what about that guy's family?' moralizing.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Oh I’m just trying to get a rise out of people, the only thing I know about persona 2 is that there’s a gay romance in it and a smiling hitler

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

can you really gay-romance Hitler

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Really Pants posted:

I think there was a Kickstarter about that a few years ago.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Really Pants posted:

Yeah the true ending is just cloning an army of pure aryans using demon tech, it’s super edgy but the love hitler shows for your vat children really adds depth to his character

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

GeneX posted:

Yeah the true ending is just cloning an army of pure aryans using demon tech, it’s super edgy but the love hitler shows for your vat children really adds depth to his character

I would love to play a game where this happens, it sounds hilarious for some reason.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The supernatural Bad Thing in P2 is a curse inflicted by Nyarlathotep that makes rumors turn into reality. Owing to how loving nutty gossip can become, this eventually leads to the "Last Battalion" (a remnant of mechanically-enhanced Nazi troops led by Der Fuhrer himself) besieging Tokyo with the power of the ancient Mayan city of Xibalba, which ends in the apocalypse when a deranged history teacher stabs a reporter with the Lance of Longinus.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I should really try to keep playing Innocent Sin, man.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I don't know why no one tried to spread the rumor that they were a literal god on earth.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

I don't know why no one tried to spread the rumor that they were a literal god on earth.

a principle and a student council member both basically did something similar (complete power/control within the bounds of their schools), by making a wish to Joker.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Do not underestimate gossip.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

The supernatural Bad Thing in P2 is a curse inflicted by Nyarlathotep that makes rumors turn into reality. Owing to how loving nutty gossip can become, this eventually leads to the "Last Battalion" (a remnant of mechanically-enhanced Nazi troops led by Der Fuhrer himself) besieging Tokyo with the power of the ancient Mayan city of Xibalba, which ends in the apocalypse when a deranged history teacher stabs a reporter with the Lance of Longinus.

:allears:
I love this stupid goddamn series.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The general setup for every Persona game is "the thoughts of humanity are doing some stupid poo poo again".

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Oxxidation posted:

:stare:

Is there an LP of this up?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I feel kinda bad for abandoning the Innocent Sin LP I had going on. I have a ton of material recorded so theoretically I can get back to it at some point, but writing updates for the thread felt like work and I didn't think the LP was turning out as well as the game deserved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Of Innocent Sin? No. There was one earlier in 2017, but apparently it's been abandoned because it's not on the master list.

e: oh hey ^^^