Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Isn’t onion knight’s gimmick that he’s unusably bad till lvl90+ or so? Probably a good future investment though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Avalerion posted:

Isn’t onion knight’s gimmick that he’s unusably bad till lvl90+ or so? Probably a good future investment though.

Yes, but his second gimmick is having some of the best buffing SBs. He's definitely going to take some time for a new player to get up to speed, though; he's not an immediate power boost for them, but either of his USBs on next week's banner are futureproofed buffing.

I would draw on banner 5 for a total newbie first though, but I might make sure to hold 50 for at least one shot at OK.

Prism fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 2, 2018

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend Onion banner for a new person, simply because of the investment into getting Onion knight usable.

Banner 4 (out now) has tons of offensive tools, and banner 5 (out tonight, replacing banner 4) has some great offensive tools as well as several buffs. I can see an argument for either, but I might lean towards banner 5 since it has more buff options.

Either way post your results here and join us on Discord for help!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Edit: phone post errors

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I mentioned to a friend that I had OK's Vessel of Fate, and he told me to drop everything and get OK to 99 immediately. Glad I did, because VoF has really been helping out my game, and OK needs to be at a level where he won't die from a stiff breeze.

Right now I'm just biding time until the next 1/2 stamina realms week, so I've been babysitting new characters through the EXP dungeon to farm RM drops and get set up to start clearing the Nightmares for 6* abilities. Thank god for RW Shuriken Storm.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Prism posted:

Yes, but his second gimmick is having some of the best buffing SBs. He's definitely going to take some time for a new player to get up to speed, though; he's not an immediate power boost for them, but either of his USBs on next week's banner are futureproofed buffing.

I would draw on banner 5 for a total newbie first though, but I might make sure to hold 50 for at least one shot at OK.

Ok I'll draw on banner 5 tonight and save the rest for the onion man

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

DizzyBum posted:

I mentioned to a friend that I had OK's Vessel of Fate, and he told me to drop everything and get OK to 99 immediately. Glad I did, because VoF has really been helping out my game, and OK needs to be at a level where he won't die from a stiff breeze.

Make sure you also unlock a 5* ability set in his record dive, when you get around to it. Support is probably the most logical, but anything other than White Magic works if you gear and slot OK to match.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

wizard on a water slide posted:

Make sure you also unlock a 5* ability set in his record dive, when you get around to it. Support is probably the most logical, but anything other than White Magic works if you gear and slot OK to match.

Yeah, I'm gonna give him Support 5* first since he would do really well for me as an Entrust/Wrath battery. Getting the motes in the first place is the tough part!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Threw my last 50 Mythril into Banner 4 trying to get some Chain, any Chain, from this fest:

Edea BSB (dupe)
Lightning BSB
Squall LM
Gaffgarion LM

:sigh:

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Is that so?

Dr. Mog you loving quack

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis
Yay, finally found a semi-consistent setup for Fenrir sub 30. I wanted to try building a no healer team to work around Snow's 2000HP stock from the chain. The breakthru was giving Ramza Affliction Break instead of Wrath, since he can use BSB2's CMD2 to build meter. Getting slowed too much was loving up my runs most of the time before this realization.

Ramza: BSB2 (instant) > Affliction Break > CMD2 > Entrust Squall > CMD2 > Entrust Noel as much as possible > Affliction Break again when needed
Snow: Lifesiphon x3-4 > CSB > Banishing Strike forever > Enkidu when needed
Noel: Shellga > Lifesiphon until chain is active > spam USB
Squall: Lifesiphon until chain is active (Frost Strike around 5.00s since Fenrir will have blink) > BSB2 > CMD1 x2 > CMD2
Tyro: RW Wall (instant) > Entrust Noel (instant) > Wrath > Entrust Noel as much as possible

RW: Fabula Guardian
Magicite: Enkidu

jebeebus fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 2, 2018

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Shoenin posted:

Dr. Mog you loving quack

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Attestant posted:

Fun fact! Some veterans are forever stuck with 3 gems on their account. There was some fuckup with a 97 gem pull in the past, afaik.

You can have my 3 gems when you pry them from my cold, dead hands. :argh:

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
oh yeah, I remember that pull

still have those 3 gems just sitting there

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Awesome, thanks for the Golem posts guys! I'll give the ideas a try immediately.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i absolutely whipped the rear end of that kaiser dragon now that i have vivis bsb with the three elements/faithga and rinoa chain and was smart enough to use tyro to entrust/wrath. i didnt master it tho because lightning weakness never popped up, rip. but hey, meltdown rank 1 yay

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

ceaselessfuture posted:

Awesome, thanks for the Golem posts guys! I'll give the ideas a try immediately.

Good luck. Let us know if it works out. I can post my actual team if it'd help.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ybrik posted:

Wait like a week or two more and put all of your mythril into the upcoming Onion knight banner

This would pay off in the long run but Onion Knight is a poo poo-tier character for new players.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
woo first 300 torment finally downed.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The Moon Monster posted:

This would pay off in the long run but Onion Knight is a poo poo-tier character for new players.

i think a lot of long time players maybe forget this but it actually takes a lot of resources to get a character to 99. even having however much time has passed since the renewal banners when i returned to the game it still takes a good portion of my resources to 99 someone and thats with a few months worth of eggs and already having had some stuff to begin with. honestly its a pretty big chunk of resources just to get someone to 65. a new player might not even able to get a soul 3 let alone a soul 2 or have the eggs to get someone there.

and again ignoring that OKs stats suck until 99 an OK without any diving done only has r3 skill access. he's still good with vessel of fate even with just that but OK requires more resources than "just" get to 99 which is actually a big ask in the first place.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
weird problem, but i have so much gear and resources the game has just become a chore of going through the motions to just clear everything and/or spend stamina. the challenge has all but dissipated. maybe its time to quit a while and let things get harder?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Ehh, if you're a new player, don't be afraid of going after onion knight stuff. Yeah, it could be a pain to level him, but there are plenty of ways to smooth it out now, especially with daily XP dungeons. If you manage to get his OP relics, consider yourself extremely lucky. I've forever whiffed on his one great BSB and it's always left me somewhat salty since.

Anyway, just ask this thread for guidance on building him up and you'll be fine. It's a very solid banner outside of his relics too, so you might just have a whole III team to carry you through a lot of content.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

weird problem, but i have so much gear and resources the game has just become a chore of going through the motions to just clear everything and/or spend stamina. the challenge has all but dissipated. maybe its time to quit a while and let things get harder?

4* magicite are coming pretty quickly (I think someone said like a month?) and those are supposed to be a real kick in the rear end.

I mean obviously if the game has become a chore that's a good enough reason to take a break. Like any mobile game there is a lot of pressure to keep going through the motions so you don't "miss out" on things, but there's quite a few people here that have taken long hiatuses once or twice.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

iamsosmrt posted:

Ehh, if you're a new player, don't be afraid of going after onion knight stuff.

yeah i'm gonna go with this guy. that banner is real loving good and even you have to get OK up from level 1 slvl 0 it's still worth it. the new exp daily gives a ridiculous amount on sundays and you can buy onion motes for greens.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

OK is definitely worth pulling on, but also he's bad without massive investment.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
Is Squall's LMR worth using if you have him fully dived and have his OSB and BSB2? Or is the extra damage you'd get from the EnIce while building the bar for the BSB cast that gives it to you anyway not worth it?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
enice is a pretty huge boost but it really shines in fights where youre shooting for sub 30s clears more than anything

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

rabidsquid posted:

i absolutely whipped the rear end of that kaiser dragon now that i have vivis bsb with the three elements/faithga and rinoa chain and was smart enough to use tyro to entrust/wrath. i didnt master it tho because lightning weakness never popped up, rip. but hey, meltdown rank 1 yay

If you wait it out the dragon will eventually cycle through its six possible weaknesses (fire/ice, lit/water, earth/bio). (It'll automatically move on to the murder phase after the last one.)

edit: if you're building bar with lifesiphon the enice won't help, but if you're building bar with snowspell you'll see a huge difference

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Uncle Ulty posted:

Is Squall's LMR worth using if you have him fully dived and have his OSB and BSB2? Or is the extra damage you'd get from the EnIce while building the bar for the BSB cast that gives it to you anyway not worth it?

iirc it's worth it if you're using SSS to build gauge into his combo, but not if you're using Mako Might or Lifesiphoning. I think someone posted the math in this thread somewhere?

That might have only been for speedclearing magicite though - I imagine if the fight drags on much longer than 30 seconds that initial en-ice becomes a lot less valuable. Anecdotally, in my sub-30 Fenrir run, Squall only used his actually BSB commands a total of 3 times before Fenrir ate it, so I got a lot more mileage out of having enice for like 4 SSS casts (plus double procs) + the initial BSB entry hits.

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

OK is definitely worth pulling on, but also he's bad without massive investment.

Really just the hastega entry and being able to rw wall would help a new player a lot

if he dies, he still boosted dps a ton

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

my melee team just got real fast and Shadow joins my list of Ninjas I Should Probably Just LD, alongside Edge with SSB and Yuffie with LMR/USB

I like this

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
I have pulled for Raines BSB quite a few times across all the banners it's been on. I'll throw 50 mythril at this one and see what happens.

:stare:

I..... uh.... what.....

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

^ holy piss

still no goddamn chains but at least i finally got raines bsb(two of 'em, even...)

overall a pretty good fest for me, now time to start hoarding for the next xiv banner

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

That's an epic pull there congratulations!

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
Doubt I’ll get anything with my last dollar pull but-

:stare: ok yeah that’s cool too. Guess Shadow and Raines have a new best friend.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Dollar pulled Marche's BSB and I already have his USE. Is he worth legend diving or should I just use him as is when I do?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

2/11 dupe marche armor and seymour chain

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I pulled on the bard thing hoping for some cool stuff even though I didn't plan on it.

2/11, Edward's USB and BSB.

Edward is my new best friend for mage teams I guess. Already helped me down that stupid rebirth fight with stop effect. Mind breakdown + Edward USB + Yuna BSB2 = everyone has a ton of mind and nothing lasts. gently caress that stupid fight mechanic.

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

Given I wasn't going to pull on this Holy/Dark Banner with Orlandeau USB and its safer banner in the Horizon, I guess I can sum my Fest haul.

For the record:

• Josef's, Master's and Krile's Bursts from the 2nd Lucky.
  • An OSB for Ayame, an Ultra for the Emperor and a dupe S. Excalibur from the 3rd Lucky.
  • The Fire Banner 1 gave me a Chain for Krile and Vivi's Second Burst.
  • And the Ice/Lightning Banner 4 gave Bursts for both Shelke and Desch.

Modest pulls overall, but the only dupe I got wasn't a bad one (I have enough knights that can make good use of a 7* +Holy Sword) so I should consider it a success.

AstraSage fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
How quick does gil come? As a newbie, can i screw myself by spending gil on upgrading and combining equipment?

• Locked thread