Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Raserys posted:

Molduga phase 2

The music was a huge part in what made fighting Moldugas seriously cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Rolo posted:

Over 150 hours in and I’ve yet to fight one. I need to change that.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Pug Rodeo posted:

They are only in one (albeit large) portion of the map so its easy to miss them for a long time. They should of made a snow variant.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Rolo posted:

Are those the Graboids? those are cool.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Internet Kraken posted:

They are only in one (albeit large) portion of the map so its easy to miss them for a long time. They should of made a snow variant.

There’s also a new extra big one that’s part of a DLC quest. A new extra large Talus too.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Are those the Graboids? those are cool.

Yeah and that loving tight music didn’t hurt.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

[zelda dlc spoiler]

Cool man, I would have loved to have been surprised by that sometime this week.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SeANMcBAY posted:

There’s also a new extra big one that’s part of a DLC quest. A new extra large Talus too.

Did they bother making them actually difficult to fight or can you stunlock them with ease still?

One of the most frustrating things about BotW is how cool the bosses seem at first but how trivial they are once you have even the most basic grasp about how to fight them. I had to come up with a bunch of ridiculous restrictions to make them interesting to fight because if you actually do the stuff you are supposed to do (climb on Talus, shoot Hinox in the eye, etc.) they stop being fun real fast.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 2, 2018

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

That's every Zelda game, though?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I'm just still confused how, and I don't mean this to put down deaf people, you can connect with any game emotionally at all without music

I mean it's fine for like playing Madden or some poo poo but I dunno what the point would even be of playing anything with like characters and a plot with no music, if you had a choice

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
6 billion+ people in the world, there's bound to be a few that don't like music

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Tae posted:

6 billion+ people in the world, there's bound to be a few that don't like music

He says he likes music though

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Good music makes a game 10x more enjoyable and memorable for me. My top 10 all time games is pretty much nothing but games with kickin' rad soundtracks.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

John Lee posted:

That's every Zelda game, though?

I don't get how that makes it any less valid of a criticism. Even if all Zelda games are stupidly easy I'd like Nintendo to actually make a proper hard mode. The Master mode added as DLC for BotW is a joke since it doesn't actually address the core balance issues with the game.

That said, I think there is a bigger problem with the bosses in BotW compared to your average Zelda game due to it being open-world. In a linear Zelda game you fight a boss once, possibly a few more times in late game rematches. A boss being little more than a puzzle you have to solve works when you only fight that boss once works because the difficulty comes from finding the solution. This kind of boss design doesn't work when the boss shows up dozens of times across the world.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Frankston posted:

Good music makes a game 10x more enjoyable and memorable for me. My top 10 all time games is pretty much nothing but games with kickin' rad soundtracks.

yeah like I really loved Undertale for instance but if someone who was deaf played it and just went "i don't know man it was ok I guess it had some good jokes" I kinda wouldn't blame them, the music in that game was superb and elevated a lot of the scenes, and I feel like that's true of a ton of games that I like a lot

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I have a lot of ideas for rebalancing Breath of the Wild, but I think what I'd most like to do is:

- Get rid of defense on armor and adjust weapon damage (and, consequently, enemy health) so that damage you take ramps up as the game goes on but armor upgrading isn't a factor. Just getting more hearts is all. Armor features and set bonuses are enough justification to use different armor without needing to care about defense.
- Food doesn't restore hearts immediately, but instead with a very slow regeneration effect.
- Maybe just ditch hearty food entirely. Alternatively, find some way to make it so you can't eat in combat and remove the guaranteed full heal from hearty meals, just let them be an overshield with a limited duration like other food buffs.
- Bring back potion bottles and add healing elixir recipes that you can use for in-combat healing, ideally from a quick menu. Fairies need bottles, too, just like every other Zelda from LttP onward.

Honestly just those changes would make a pretty big difference. No more taking a quarter-heart damage from a lynel because you stacked defense, no more enemies with 3000 HP because there need to be 60-attack weapons to even scratch you in endgame upgraded armor, no more pausing to fully heal with a single cooked durian.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 3, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Take the Souls approach. Accessing the menu doesn't pause the world :getin:

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Internet Kraken posted:

This kind of boss design doesn't work when the boss shows up dozens of times across the world.

They do try to mix it up a bit. I met my first Hinox in an empty area and it was laughably easy, it was only later that I found one that tried to swing and throw a tree club at me. Taluses have fire variants you need to cool down before you can climb them, otherwise you have to stick with ranged combat. Lynels with fire arrows become more dangerous when there's tall grass, and verticality can make a boss battle completely different. Probably not enough for how many instances of bosses there are in the overworld - enemy variety is still probably one of the worse things about BotW - but I still found it cool.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

RZA Encryption posted:

Cool man, I would have loved to have been surprised by that sometime this week.

People are spoiling way more sensitive stuff here so I’d stay away from this thread if you want to go in super fresh.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Beating the story mode unlocks all those chalky white cubes everywhere. Hitting one spawns like another 80% moons on top of the ones that are already in the level. So after you do the story mode the next part involves going around doing... that for a while.

This makes a lot of sense. I just finished it a few days ago and haven't left the castle yet. I had guessed you could only clear those with the specific form you used the first time. And there were some worlds where I felt I had cleared a lot of moon until I opened the list. But this answers several questions.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Pug Rodeo posted:

I've got like 80 hours and didn't know these were in there. Christ. For as much as people complain about BotW not having content it sure has surprised with how much stuff is in there that I've not seen yet.

Did you know you can make the rock octoroks on death mountain clean rusty weapons? I didn't!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Aithon posted:

They do try to mix it up a bit. I met my first Hinox in an empty area and it was laughably easy, it was only later that I found one that tried to swing and throw a tree club at me. Taluses have fire variants you need to cool down before you can climb them, otherwise you have to stick with ranged combat. Lynels with fire arrows become more dangerous when there's tall grass, and verticality can make a boss battle completely different. Probably not enough for how many instances of bosses there are in the overworld - enemy variety is still probably one of the worse things about BotW - but I still found it cool.

The examples you provide aren't actually good variants because none of those variations change the core strategies. All hinox can pick up trees and use them as weapons, but it doesn't matter since you can just shoot them in the eye and they drop the tree. Some hinox have graves that protect their legs but why would you ever attack their legs to begin with? Just shoot them in the eye as usual. The elemental talus are protected from climbing but you can still stunlock them with arrows.

The variants of the bosses actually end up being even easier than the regular ones if you exploit their additional weaknesses too. You can burn or electrocute the hinox variants' greaves to stun them. Hitting an elemental talus with the right elemental arrow will also stun them. The "strengths" of these enemies actually end up being weaknesses, and if it weren't for inflated stats they would always be easier fights than the basic variant. If you're going to mix up a boss fight, the changes need to counter the ideal strategy for fighting them, otherwise they end up being irrelevant.

Lynels are the closest BotW comes to being genuinely difficult. A big part of that is because there's no easy way to stun them and they are totally immune to the elements.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

wow the pro controller feels like a dream

xenoblade controller was too dope to pass up--hope Nintendo ends up making more

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm glad people of all skill levels can enjoy breath of the wild

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Brother Entropy posted:

i'm glad people of all skill levels can enjoy breath of the wild

i think I'm just a big dummy but I had to google A LOT of puzzles and shrines

like the constellation one? Lmao

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

i think I'm just a big dummy but I had to google A LOT of puzzles and shrines

like the constellation one? Lmao

that one where you had to time-freeze the boulder and hit it the right number of times to get it in the hole can gently caress right off

i haven't found the constellation one yet though

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Some hinox have graves that protect their legs but why would you ever attack their legs to begin with?

i kill every hinox by just spinning a two-hander between their feet and they die before they ever finish waking up

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kaubocks posted:

i kill every hinox by just spinning a two-hander between their feet and they die before they ever finish waking up

I forbid myself from doing that so long ago I actually forgot they aren't invincible when waking up :regd09:

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Beat all the DLC in Zelda short of the final run through the sword trials. So switched to Skyrim that I got for xmas. Did they censor some of the kill sequences for the Switch? In first person mode, they will make you look down or up so the sword through the head sequence is out of sight. Or when going to third person view, they have the shield block any gruesome kills. Its been a bit since I played it on PC, but I thought they showed them.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Policenaut posted:

I really want to like Xenoblade 2 more but this pacing is just killing me. Each chapter ending with some crazy 30 minute Xeno-style epic anime boss fight cutscene thing is great and why I love Xeno games but the saturday morning cartoon progression of the story between those points I find really boring and not that interesting. I'm on Chapter 5 and I really don't have much drive to keep going, but I see the odd screenshot or clip from late game and it does make me want to go back to it at some point.

So instead I'm playing Romancing SaGa 2 on my PS4, just now over halfway done killing the Seven Heroes, loving every minute of this obtuse-rear end thing.

Chapter 6 and 7 introduce my favorite environments in the game, you should definitely push through to get to the next new location because they are sweet.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

If you're the kind of person who needs to exploit a game's mechanics and break it over your knee, but also you don't enjoy doing so at all... Open world games aren't for you.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Doom is a good game

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Do the Splatoon 2 maps/music tracks for each game type all get picked from the same pool? I've only just started playing really so it might just be luck but there are some neat looking maps I see for Ranked/League that I haven't seen in whatever the one I'm playing in is called

Having a lot of fun with Splat2 so far, Salmon Run is a cool game type (although that map/weapon pick on the 1st was roooouugh)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjGE2bbe1s8

a cool squidkid

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tender Bender posted:

If you're the kind of person who needs to exploit a game's mechanics and break it over your knee, but also you don't enjoy doing so at all... Open world games aren't for you.

"Exploiting a game's mechanics" is not the same as "playing the game the way the devs intended".

You are obviously supposed to shoot hinox in the eye. Its not exploiting the game to do that. The fact that it utterly trivializes fighting them is a failure on the devs part if they want the game to be challenging (which master mode is obviously supposed to be).

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Chapter 6 and 7 introduce my favorite environments in the game, you should definitely push through to get to the next new location because they are sweet.

Yeah, I hear a lot about how it gets way more serious in later chapters and its enough that I'll go back to it sometime soon but at the moment I'm just going to play RomSaga 2 and Zodiac Age instead.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
I wish switch had more online games I could jam with my friends back home on

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Brother Entropy posted:

that one where you had to time-freeze the boulder and hit it the right number of times to get it in the hole can gently caress right off

i haven't found the constellation one yet though

Oh I just did this one and it loving sucked. Whoops I was facing this direction by 0.0001 degree, excuse me while the ball flies off to the right.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

ok but really I want to buy one of those adapters so I can use the pro controller on the wii-u and ps4

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I still don't know how they made a game with weapons that fall apart (and also considering you need to hit things with weapons to solve puzzles and stuff) yet not constantly aggravating like every other system like that in the history of games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

No matter how great a game's soundtrack is, I'm going to get sick of it eventually and want to mix in my own music from another source. Separate music and sound effect sliders need to be universal in games, or maybe even done as an OS level thing.

Among the Living + Splatoon 2
Toto IV + Grinding in any JRPG

Music is magical.

• Locked thread