Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Snowman_McK posted:

We live in a world where 'your friend on facebook' is a key source. Having nerds willing to go to bat for you on social media is really loving important.

LOL. 2020 candidates, toss your :10bux: here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Quorum posted:

That's Trump's negotiating strategy, yeah, has been for years. Art Of The DealTM

I've said it for the last two years, the guy does not get the carrot. He only understands the stick. I mean, he'll lavish praise on someone who's already doing what he wants them to, but he can't say anything nice before he's got it. He really doesn't get the idea of soft power.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Family Values posted:

She's a woman, she's white, and old. Ordinarily I'd be right there with you in the 'gently caress those bigots' sense, but defeating Trump in 2020 is super important. I agree with others, there are better options.

Also by weak campaigner I mean she's a very wooden speaker.

Bernie Bros loving love Warren and so do Democrats.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Rigel posted:

Defeating Trump ended up being a challenge for the worst candidate the Dems had nominated in the party's entire modern history, the same candidate who was the victim of decades of propaganda. And she still would have won without the Comey letter.

I don't get your point. Defeating Trump won't be difficult for any of our current serious contenders.

Get a load of this Mondale lover!

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Snowman_McK posted:

gently caress, the US is actually getting outmanuvered in diplomacy by loving North Korea. This is like the tailspin era of a once great fighter, as they start to lose to lower and lower ranked opponents.

America is the geopolitical Showtime Pettis, it checks out

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Trabisnikof posted:

Defeating Trump will be difficult even with the perfect candidate. This idea that Trump is easy to defeat is based on what you want to be true more than reality.

He is literally the most hated president after 1 year in the entire modern history of polling. Trump is going to be easy to defeat with any competent candidate without a lot of scandal or baggage.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Rigel posted:

If I had to bet $100 on predicting who the Dems will nominate for 2020, right now I'd put the money on Gillibrand.

I'm holding out for Martin O'Malley being replaced by his mirror universe twin who A) didn't detain a hojillion Baltimore colored folks for personal gain and B) has a goatee

so, you know, Petyr Baelish

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

gaj70 posted:

LOL. 2020 candidates, toss your :10bux: here.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic. Think about who actually did damage control for Trump during the election. It wasn't his own understaffed campaign of idiots, it was random, rabid commenters on Youtube and Facebook, who had surprisingly coherent defences for every one of his innumerable gently caress ups.

Casey Finnigan posted:

The past year has made me feel like even if the US went to war against Nauru or something we would find some bizarre way to lose.

I've never been able to confirm it (if there's a history nerd here, chime in) but I read years ago about an island invasion during WW2, where thousands of Americans and Dominion troops landed on an island in force. In the ensuing gun battle fifty or so soldiers were killed, and it would have been even higher if there'd been any Japanese on the island.

DoombatINC posted:

America is the geopolitical Showtime Pettis, it checks out

This is a good comparison, but I'd go with Fedor. At least Pettis lost to people at Lightweight, which is an actual division.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rigel posted:

with any competent candidate

In other words it's going to be a nailbiter

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Rigel posted:

He is literally the most hated president after 1 year in the entire modern history of polling. Trump is going to be easy to defeat with any competent candidate without a lot of scandal or baggage.

Is it legally possible for the republican party to elect a republican other than the sitting president to the white house? I'm just curious.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Rigel posted:

He shouldn't have won the primary.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
How much money could NK make selling power if they made nuke plants? They could probably sell them p. cheap? Could they save the world? I know they deny climate change but I bet he'd do it to spite Trump.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Don't discount the incumbency advantage. It's really hard to beat an incumbent president.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

yeah, either he is going even more nuts or indictments/mueller news is about to hit. either way holy gently caress.

so my guess is there will be another missle test soon, and from the ratcheting up of rhetoric, maybe a preemptive strike.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

KickerOfMice posted:

Is it legally possible for the republican party to elect a republican other than the sitting president to the white house? I'm just curious.

Yes. A party doesn't have to renominate their sitting president.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Pakled posted:

Don't discount the incumbency advantage. It's really hard to beat an incumbent president.

Plus who knows what the next 3 years will look like.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Uncle Wemus posted:

Wasn't she forced out of her seat

and then into hiding behind some bushes(and then later having to take Spicy as a room shrub mate)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rigel posted:

Except that doesn't matter to re-electing the president. The electoral college and voter suppression give Republicans a builtin advantage that will require hard work for even a perfect candidate to overcome. Because disliking Trump isn't enough to get people to vote Democratic.

I haven't heard a single candidate named I would be so confident could defeat Trump without a ground game as good or better than OFA in 2008.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, either he is going even more nuts or indictments/mueller news is about to hit. either way holy gently caress.

I really think this is just a "first day back after weeks on vacation" storm. Our President's been largely zoned out the last few weeks so this is him tuning back in.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Wouldn't he then run independent? Resign theories assume Trump has any self awareness or limit to his ego.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

STAC Goat posted:

I really think this is just a "first day back after weeks on vacation" storm. Our President's been largely zoned out the last few weeks so this is him tuning back in.

maybe. but what set him off about Pakistan?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Plus who knows what the next 3 years will look like.

"You can't switch presidents in the middle of a war!"

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

STAC Goat posted:

Christ, I hope so. It does come across as a guy who’s been caught sleeping on the job running through his to-do list and listing off the crap he knows as proof he’s been working on it.

I really don’t want to start 2018 with a loving nuclear exchange. Let’s let 2017 be the worst year, thank you very much. :gonk:

khy
Aug 15, 2005

The fact that the swan appears to be vomiting the water just makes it all better.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Except that doesn't matter to re-electing the president. The electoral college and voter suppression give Republicans a builtin advantage that will require hard work for even a perfect candidate to overcome. Because disliking Trump isn't enough to get people to vote Democratic.

I haven't heard a single candidate named I would be so confident could defeat Trump without a ground game as good or better than OFA in 2008.

Bernie would win, and also would have won.

Kamala "fiscally pragmatic about slavery" Harris would be a tossup.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
The Iowa caucus is only 25 months away. (Dehumanize yourself and face the primary)

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

VitalSigns posted:

Kamala "fiscally pragmatic about slavery" Harris would be a tossup.

Death to the gerontocracy, friend

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

another one

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/948272828436140038?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E1

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

Because disliking Trump isn't enough to get people to vote Democratic.

The state of Virginia would like a word with you.

Pakled posted:

traditionally, the incumbent president has accomplished something. And even then, an accomplished president in Obama did worse in 2012 against a worse opponent.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Taerkar posted:

Yes. A party doesn't have to renominate their sitting president.

This got me thinking. If a Republican successfully primaried Trump and he ran as an independent, that would all but guarantee a Democrat victory in the oval office. But I'm not so sure if it would be good for the down-ballot races? I'm thinking it could actually boost R turnout because each faction would turn out for their presidential candidate but would vote solid R down-ballot. Is there any historical data on this?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/948324963068661760

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Seph posted:

This got me thinking. If a Republican successfully primaried Trump and he ran as an independent, that would all but guarantee a Democrat victory in the oval office. But I'm not so sure if it would be good for the down-ballot races? I'm thinking it could actually boost R turnout because each faction would turn out for their presidential candidate but would vote solid R down-ballot. Is there any historical data on this?

Depends if Trump voters would get mad at the establishment and refuse to vote for them. Plus if the presidential race didn't look close they might just stay home, and arguably the Republican nominee and Trump would mostly be splitting the same dwindling group of people who like either Trump or the Republican Party. It would probably be worth it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Wow, they're all jumping ship.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

maybe. but what set him off about Pakistan?

Like most things I assume Trump is reacting directly to something he saw on Fox News or an article someone handed him. But I admit I don't know that such a thing exists in this particular case.

Although in this case I get the sense its a Nikki Haley/UN thing and possibly fallout from all the recent drama around Israel and Iran. But I'm not really confident enough to make an argument about that.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Quorum posted:

Death to the gerontocracy, friend

I miss having a hip young president who made murdering foreigners and cutting social security cool again too, but I think nominating the most popular politician in America with the best chance to defeat Cheeto Hitler is a liiiiiiiittle more important than the first dubstep themed inaugural ball.

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

traditionally, the incumbent president has accomplished something. And even then, an accomplished president in Obama did worse in 2012 against a worse opponent.

McCain might have been a stronger candidate than Romney in the abstract, but when you consider that McCain was running in the shadow of a widely disliked Bush presidency that was currently presiding over the largest financial disaster since the Great Depression, it's not surprising that Romney fared better.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Nevvy Z posted:

How much money could NK make selling power if they made nuke plants? They could probably sell them p. cheap? Could they save the world? I know they deny climate change but I bet he'd do it to spite Trump.

I am no expert but I Imagine building a safe, efficent, reliable nuclear power plant is considerably harder than cobbling together a few A-bombs.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Bernie would still need an OFA+ sized ground game to do it. It wouldn't be easy, even for Bernie.

Snowman_McK posted:

The state of Virginia would like a word with you.

Virginia proves my point rather than disproves it. Democrats won in Virginia because they had a good ground organization and ran on issues and Policies that mean something to the voter.

They didn't vote for House Delegates to thumb their nose at Trump, a House Delegate can't do poo poo about Trump or his policies. They voted in Danica Roem because she ran on fixing traffic. They elected Lee Carter because he campaigned on single payer and getting money out of politics. But it took a huge GOTV effort to get that victory too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

I miss having a hip young president who made murdering foreigners and cutting social security cool again too, but I think nominating the most popular politician in America with the best chance to defeat Cheeto Hitler is a liiiiiiiittle more important than the first dubstep themed inaugural ball.

Yeah there's no reason to think government by men older than average male life expectancy is a bad thing at all, despite the two oldest presidents we've had, who Bernie would be considerably older than, both having clear signs of dementia in office.

• Locked thread