Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Huh. No, I guess you don't. My bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Crumbletron posted:

That was always my beef with most of the guilds in this game. Just let me be a regular rear end dude doing work for you guys. Bring back the regular Fighters Guild.

I really do miss Oblivion's comparatively mundane questlines. Hell, you're not even the main character in your own Main Quest there. Skyrim goes way too hard on making the player the SUPER DUPER BESTEST EVER AT EVERYTHING and it feels almost pandering at times, especially since you barely even do anything in each questline before it diverts hard into some sort of mostly unrelated betrayal and/or Daedra plot where you are awarded titles you don't really deserve.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I really do miss Oblivion's comparatively mundane questlines. Hell, you're not even the main character in your own Main Quest there. Skyrim goes way too hard on making the player the SUPER DUPER BESTEST EVER AT EVERYTHING and it feels almost pandering at times, especially since you barely even do anything in each questline before it diverts hard into some sort of mostly unrelated betrayal and/or Daedra plot where you are awarded titles you don't really deserve.

I agree with this 100%. I remember people complaining about that in Oblivion, that you're not even the actual hero of the main quest. That's fine, though! I just want to travel around and explore and do things and help people and stuff, I don't need to be The Chosen One in every game. That was one of the few things I actually liked about that game - it dared to make you the sidekick. It's sadly undercut by allowing you to rule every single guild simultaneously, of course.

In general it'd be great if more RPGs told smaller scale, personal stories rather than massive change-the-world epics.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I don't really get the sidekick thing in Oblivion. You're still the one who does all the work, Martin is just the guy who pulls the heroic sacrifice thing.

I mean sure they could have pulled a Dragon Age and let you chose who does the heroic sacrifice (you, your friend, or the reformed ex-enemy looking for redemption?) but I'm sure most people would still chose to sacrifice someone else in this case and continue their adventures since TES games don't have a game over when you finish the main quest.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's hilarious how Alduin taunts you with "My belly is full of the souls of your fellow mortals, Dovahkiin!" It's like "Bitch, guess what my belly is full of :smug:"

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Hey, the Dovahkiin's soul is going to be the center of a cosmic game of tug-of-war after their death.

I pledge my allegiance to all the Daedra, they can fight it out among themselves when I'm dead.

The joke's on all of them, Akatosh gets the Dragonborn's soul and they can take it up with him if they don't like it :c00l:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Dongicus posted:

is the 64bit version still skse-less / lacking in good mods from oldrim?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Dongicus posted:

is the 64bit version still skse-less / lacking in good mods from oldrim?
Allow me to translate for Agents: Google has been around for a while dude. You could have gotten the answer to your question in less time then it took you to post that.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Yeah. Like the Dark Brotherhood. Not only are you the chosen dragonborn, you're also the chosen speaker or whatever.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Cat Mattress posted:

I don't really get the sidekick thing in Oblivion. You're still the one who does all the work, Martin is just the guy who pulls the heroic sacrifice thing.

I don't recall the full details of the plot but I think you're basically Martin's righthand, right? Like he's the actual chosen one and has forged a plan and he sends you out on his behalf. Tamriel's history books will remember him, not you, even if you're doing everything behind the scenes.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Raygereio posted:

Allow me to translate for Agents: Google has been around for a while dude. You could have gotten the answer to your question in less time then it took you to post that.

Allow me to encapsulate posted:

Current SE build 2.0.6 (runtime 1.5.23): 7z archive - ALPHA BUILD. MODDERS ONLY. DO NOT ASK FOR SUPPORT.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

This reaches its climax when you're in Valhalla and the bridge keeper asks you about your bona fides, and you give him one of your many titles: the first Dovahkiin in a long time, the Listener of the Dark Brotherhood, Leader of the Companions, Arch-Mage of the College of Winterhold, Master of the Thieves Guild, the person who single handedly won the Civil War...

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Crumbletron posted:

Yeah. Like the Dark Brotherhood. Not only are you the chosen dragonborn, you're also the chosen speaker or whatever.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

This reaches its climax when you're in Valhalla and the bridge keeper asks you about your bona fides, and you give him one of your many titles: the first Dovahkiin in a long time, the Listener of the Dark Brotherhood, Leader of the Companions, Arch-Mage of the College of Winterhold, Master of the Thieves Guild, the person who single handedly won the Civil War...

I purposefully ignore the main quest but JESUS I forgot how bad the titles get. I mean, you do get a lot of similar titles in Oblivion too, but at least they feel earned there, with much longer and relevant questlines. Skyrim always feels like "you are the player so let's heap accolades on you even though there are NPCs much more deserving of said titles". You can become Arch-mage in Skyrim without knowing a single spell, and you barely even do anything before some random guy says "OK YOU ARE ARCH-MAGE NOW. GOODBYE FOREVER".

How's the Oblivion modding scene, anyway? I'd totally be playing the hell out of it if it weren't... you know, standard Oblivion.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 2, 2018

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I purposefully ignore the main quest but JESUS I forgot how bad the titles get. I mean, you do get a lot of similar titles in Oblivion too, but at least they feel earned there, with much longer and relevant questlines. Skyrim always feels like "you are the player so let's heap accolades on you even though there are NPCs much more deserving of said titles". You can become Arch-mage in Skyrim without knowing a single spell, and you barely even do anything before some random guy says "OK YOU ARE ARCH-MAGE NOW. GOODBYE FOREVER".

Don't you need to know one (1) spell to be accepted into the College in the first place?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I mean, you can Shout. That's kind of impressive and rare.

There's a mod to make Tolfdir Archmage in your stead, and I always use it. He's much more qualified and experienced than you!

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Arivia posted:

Don't you need to know one (1) spell to be accepted into the College in the first place?

You can Shout if you're Dragonborn, try to pass the only 100 Speech check in the game, or just use a scroll like any other time it forces you to use magic.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

There's a mod to make Tolfdir Archmage in your stead, and I always use it. He's much more qualified and experienced than you!

Oh really? Tolfdir deserves it, I'm definitely getting that mod hoping it gets ported to SSE :(

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 2, 2018

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I tried looking, but there doesn't seem to be any other mods to make other people guild leader. Sad!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Honestly if the Dragonborn comes up to me and goes "make me guild leader" I'd also read in an implied threat of "or get shouted apart like the High King" and do whatever they wanted really fuckin quick.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I liked becoming Archmage when my only good magic skill was Enchanting.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The best part about that whole thing is that Ulfric didn't Shout Torygg apart. He FUS RO DAH'd him into a pile on the floor, and then stabbed him when he was defenseless and disoriented. The fact that he was using the Voice at all was remarkable in and of itself, but the story grew in telling.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I like that Ulfric's really not clean in that story. Torygg was a huge fan of his and probably would have backed him, but Ulfric wanted to be high king so he walked in and basically murdered him.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Also Torygg was a kid at the time.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Also Torygg was a kid at the time.

He was married.

Ulfric did nothing wrong. :colbert:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

wiegieman posted:

I like that Ulfric's really not clean in that story. Torygg was a huge fan of his and probably would have backed him, but Ulfric wanted to be high king so he walked in and basically murdered him.

I will give the game props in that it's probably the only piece of media where the Empire isn't evil (I mean, gently caress the Thalmor, but the Empire itself is a-okay) and the DASHING, CHARISMATIC REBEL LEADER is actually in the wrong.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
As far as Winterhold is concerned, you becoming Archmage seems more of an honorary thing than anything else, since Toldfir is the one in actual charge of all the administrative stuff. You don't make any sort of decision (they haven't implemented anything for that) but you're the Dragonborn and you've proven you can beat the Thalmor so you're a good figurehead. Anyone who wants to mess with the College will have to reckon with you, and in the meanwhile they can do their thing while you go on adventure to become the boss of every single other faction out there.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Dongattack posted:

That guy makes extremely complicated house mods with extremely complicated scripting that tends to break hard. (if you point that out tho he just says that it's other mods at fault, his is perfect) I REALLY REALLY REALLY wouldn't add any of his mods to a savegame you care about.

The tower is really fun though - but yes even with clean saves and all the care in the world, it exploded my new playthrough and even removing it a few hours before it happens still causes the anomalies to pop up.

A shame.

That's basically the best description of why Skyrim loses appeal for me fast if I do the MSQ. I really wish you could just be part of the big dudes, not the only big dude. Dragonborncentrism is boring.

After playing ESO and Morrowind again, the guild and daedric prince quest lines are also insanely bland and even mods can't change that.

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 2, 2018

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Yeah, okay, almost all of the faction quests in Skyrim are dumb and horribly abridged, but I can't be the only one that thinks the Dark Brotherhood narrative is actually pretty good, can I? I mean, it's a murder faction and you earn your way to the top by murdering a whole hell of a lot of people.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It's bad because of the loving clown

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

Yeah, okay, almost all of the faction quests in Skyrim are dumb and horribly abridged, but I can't be the only one that thinks the Dark Brotherhood narrative is actually pretty good, can I? I mean, it's a murder faction and you earn your way to the top by murdering a whole hell of a lot of people.
You still become Speaker for no real reason other then that you're oh so super special. But yeah, the actual quests are kind of okay. Perhaps even good at times. At the very least it's the only guild-quest line that has you doing things that are specific to the guild. I mean, in the mages questline the only magic you have to cast are two novice spells. For the thieves guild questline you never have to sneak and the only thieving you do is copyright infringement. In contrast, the Dark Brotherhood's quest actually wants you to do assassin things.
Also all the dialogue options while pretending to be the Gourmet are gold.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Dark Brotherhood quest is great because you can just kill her when she tries to recruit you and work with the cops to deal with the crazy corpse-worshiping assassins.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
In Oblivion and Skyrim, Bethesda put the best quest writing in the assassin faction.

Which is too bad because I've never wanted to get in these factions. They're really just not my jam, and I typically kill more than enough people in these games already anyway. At least in Skyrim you can just destroy it.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

wiegieman posted:

The Dark Brotherhood quest is great because you can just kill her when she tries to recruit you and work with the cops to deal with the crazy corpse-worshiping assassins.

I liked having that option, which is why the Destroy the Thieves Guild mod was one of my favourite faction mods. Pity it hasn't been ported over to SE :negative:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Raygereio posted:

Just gave this a quick test.
Everything seems to be working fine. Navmeshes work. Didn't spot anything wrong with the cells. And all the vendors would only trade with a vampire PC. I did notice a dude in Solitude & Markarth that were not interactable. But I guess they were scenery?

Yeah, those dudes are scenery. They're also there to kinda guide people towards the dens if they can't find them (since they're purposely not marked).

Good to know everything works! Thanks for taking the time to help. :unsmith:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Raygereio posted:

You still become Speaker for no real reason other then that you're oh so super special. But yeah, the actual quests are kind of okay. Perhaps even good at times. At the very least it's the only guild-quest line that has you doing things that are specific to the guild. I mean, in the mages questline the only magic you have to cast are two novice spells. For the thieves guild questline you never have to sneak and the only thieving you do is copyright infringement. In contrast, the Dark Brotherhood's quest actually wants you to do assassin things.
Also all the dialogue options while pretending to be the Gourmet are gold.

But that's the only reason why anyone becomes speaker.

pyro_archvile
Oct 2, 2011

Not actually an Arch-Vile
From the Destroy the Thieve's Guild mod autist:
"One last comment to clarify some things, I won't port this mod to Skyrim Special Edition and I won't allow someone to port it either. Bethesda promised us that old mods were compatible with the new Special Edition and I'm not going to fix the compatibility with SE that Bethesda should done in the first place. Please stop sending me PM asking me to port this mod to SE because it's not going to happen, ever. I won't reply to your messages, I have moved on from Skyrim."

Someone should port it anyway. gently caress him.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

pyro_archvile posted:

From the Destroy the Thieve's Guild mod autist:
"One last comment to clarify some things, I won't port this mod to Skyrim Special Edition and I won't allow someone to port it either. Bethesda promised us that old mods were compatible with the new Special Edition and I'm not going to fix the compatibility with SE that Bethesda should done in the first place. Please stop sending me PM asking me to port this mod to SE because it's not going to happen, ever. I won't reply to your messages, I have moved on from Skyrim."

Someone should port it anyway. gently caress him.

Jeez some of these modders are prima donnas.

Did Beth ever say Oldrim and SSE mods would be compatible?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does SPERG work with the SE and is it still considered a good gameplay rebalance? Looking for something that can maybe add a little more depth to Skyrim's vanilla balance which is pretty blah

EDIT: And not 10 minutes in I'm already reminded why I hate modding. why won't the Mod Organizer program recognize my Skyime SE install? It says to select the folder that contains the game launcher but when I do that it just pretends the game isn't there.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 3, 2018

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Does SPERG work with the SE and is it still considered a good gameplay rebalance? Looking for something that can maybe add a little more depth to Skyrim's vanilla balance which is pretty blah
There is an SE version. I'm using other balance mods in combination (Apocalypse and Smilodon) and I'm happy with the results so far, but idk how much of that is credit to SPERG or what.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

EDIT: And not 10 minutes in I'm already reminded why I hate modding. why won't the Mod Organizer program recognize my Skyime SE install? It says to select the folder that contains the game launcher but when I do that it just pretends the game isn't there.

Original MO doesnt work with SE, you need MO2.

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

Very early on, then they switched to "it's easy to convert" (see below)

A.o.D. posted:

But that's the only reason why anyone becomes speaker.

It should be fairly easy to convert, basically just load it up in the SE CK and save it.

Somebody should just make a equivalent mod from scratch. From the looks of it, it doesn't change that much.

pyro_archvile
Oct 2, 2011

Not actually an Arch-Vile

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

The good news this mod and its sister mod, Disband the Thieves Guild, doesn't need SKSE. Someone could convert them easily enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
One of the most immersion-breaking things for me is how you can sleep overnight in an inn then wake up and all the NPCs are in the same place. Is there a mod that moves NPCs to where they should be before you wake up?