Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
Rey is a boring poo poo character. Go ahead and try to describe her personality without referencing that she's a scavenger-turned Jedi with orphan issues. Nothing in the series is ever really a threat to her. She instantly learns the force and escapes from the Death Star 2000 and then goes on to defeat a sith lord in lightsaber combat. Then, in this movie, she swings a lightsaber at a rock for her training and then goes on to... do what exactly? Fight Kylo Ren to another standstill and save the rebellion again by virtue of lifting rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Do we know if Snoke is actually Sith or just an evil force user?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think sith is just a word at this point.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Basebf555 posted:

There was also a bit of what Luke was saying in Rogue One, with the Order of the Whills or whatever they're called acting as like a conduit for the Force to touch the common man.
One of the best part of the new trilogy is that so far it has fundamentally gotten right what was sub-textually true in the original trilogy but that a lot of nerds and the various EU types largely missed; the Force is a religion.

Jedi are not wizards. They do not cast spells. They are zen warrior monks who have, in theory, attained near-enlightenment. What they do, they do because they can listen to the universe and do what it tells them to do. A jedi, when calling upon the Force, is unstoppable in battle because they are in harmony with their surroundings and each thing they do is the correct thing to do. From the outside, it looks like they're doing magic, but the difference between that and being a wizard is that anyone, literally anyone, from the smallest child to the young daughter of two drugged-out junk-traders, can do what the jedi do if they can just stop being up their own rear end long enough to listen to the universe.

Spacebump posted:

Do we know if Snoke is actually Sith or just an evil force user?
Evil force user, although he apparently likes to collect sith artifacts.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

If that were true Kylo would be hopeless. Genes seem to be the most important factor once you become aware of the force, and in a dramatically unequal fashion (if a normal person is a 1 then luke is 1000, kylo is a million and rey appears to be a billion).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Rey is a boring poo poo character. Go ahead and try to describe her personality without referencing that she's a scavenger-turned Jedi with orphan issues.

She’s very much about protecting the little things and against the big evil.

She is willing to give chances to those who may not deserve them, or never had a chance to begin with.

But at the end of the day, she wants to belong somewhere that feels like home.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

He's not telling her to murder them, he's just pointing out that they're probably gonna die. And then Rey goes and helps save them, so he was wrong. But I don't think it would've been crazy for her to be convinced by what he was saying there.

They were probably going to die because he was refusing to call off the attack on them, yes.

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Rey is a boring poo poo character. Go ahead and try to describe her personality without referencing that she's a scavenger-turned Jedi with orphan issues. Nothing in the series is ever really a threat to her. She instantly learns the force and escapes from the Death Star 2000 and then goes on to defeat a sith lord in lightsaber combat. Then, in this movie, she swings a lightsaber at a rock for her training and then goes on to... do what exactly? Fight Kylo Ren to another standstill and save the rebellion again by virtue of lifting rocks.

Sure?

Rey is strong-willed and stubborn and forceful to a fault. She is a good person who genuinely believes in helping others and has pie-in-the-eye optimism buried under years of survival. She lacks confidence in herself and has to struggle with the idea that she could be an important figure which is a genuine contrast to Kylo Ren who knows he is an important figure and is defined by it. However at the end of the day she's willing to take risks and believe in the impossible in a way nobody else in the series is willing to do. This is ironically what makes her good at being a Jedi because she is actually willing to just believe.

She is in almost way a sharp contrast to Kylo Ren in a fairly blunt way. This means she trends towards being more overtly heroic and good-guy-y but that isn't inherently a bad thing. She's less interesting than Kylo Ren but heroes rarely are as interesting as villains.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 2, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

They were probably going to die because he was refusing to call off the attack on them, yes.

At that moment Kylo isn't really in a position to call of the attack, it's happening regardless.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

At that moment Kylo isn't really in a position to call of the attack, it's happening regardless.

That's a pretty thin argument considering she literally asks him to and his response isn't "I can't" but "This has to happen."

Also notice in his big speech about destroying everything he never mentions the First Order.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

He certainly is. Kylo was willing to literally kill his dad and let his mom die - from his perspective what he was asking for from Rey was trivial. Kylo seems hell-bent on killing everyone he has any sentimental attachment to (including Luke) because they'll get in the way of what he feels he needs to do (whatever that is). He's upset that Rey doesn't feel the same way.

It would be great if Kylo could describe what his plans for the galaxy are beyond killing rebels because he seems to have no more ideals than the rebels, who seem happy to go on bloody suicide missions inglourious basterds style to kill nazis.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
All the stuff you're saying about Kylo is true, he does want to kill everyone and do lots of horrible things, but he's not directly ordering Rey to go murder anyone. With the full context of everything leading up to it, with Rey's lonely existence on Jakku and her desperation to have connections with others, it's believable to me that Kylo could exploit that to deceive her into taking a route that he presents as the only one left. So not only would I have bought it, I think it would have been a far more interesting way to go.

It's more of a mistake in RotS that I'm pointing out more than anything else. Anakin's turn is done well imo, but then Sidious turns around right away and in the same scene orders him to go purge the Jedi temple. It takes me out of the movie and makes Anakin's actions feel a bit artificial because it's something it seems like he'd have refused to do 5 minutes ago.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 2, 2018

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

This is just utter shitspeak. She's emotionally stunted as a result of her upbringing (or lack thereof) and spends TFA conflicted between her childlike dreaming and her childlike longing to belong, both of which hold her back from acting rationally. By the end of TLJ she's largely moved on from both of these and is ready to become her own self without being reliant on either the heroes or the parents that she built up in her mind. This is what we call an arc. She's a lot more developed than Luke was at this point in his trilogy (TLJ is the best character development Luke's had in the entire series though).

Also everything everyone else said. The rest of your criticisms boil down to the same 'Mary Sue' argument is requires an intentional failure to understand the basic plot of this trilogy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

All the stuff you're saying about Kylo is true, he does want to kill everyone and do lots of horrible things, but he's not directly ordering Rey to go murder anyone. With the full context of everything leading up to it, with Rey's lonely existence on Jakku and her desperation to have connections with others, it's believable to me that Kylo could exploit that to deceive her into taking a route that he presents as the only one left. So not only would I have bought it, I think it would have been a far more interesting way to go.

"He isn't directly ordering Rey to kill anyone, merely saying that she should let all her friends die in order to literally join the Nazis." Because, again, Ren isn't talking about overthrowing everything. He's talking about taking over the Order, which you'll note is what he does exactly after Rey turns him down. The mere fact that you're going "well, Rey is defined by her connections to others, that is why she'd willingly give them up for Kylo Ren" emphasizes why that makes no sense. Rey is defined by her connection to others and Finn and Leia are two of those people and there is no particularly good reason for her to let them die.

Kylo Ren's argument to her is "you're not special, but I'll act like you are." Contrast this to Finn for who Rey is special and whose entire arc in this story is trying to do something to help Rey. Rey gets to choose between the person who tells her she isn't special because she isn't a Skywalker and the person who doesn't give a poo poo about her being a Skywalker, just that she is Rey. Rey doesn't see Finn's plot because she doesn't need to. She already knows who Finn is. It's not hard to figure out why she turns down Ren within the context of her character and it would be a lot weirder for her to just give up on Finn and Leia.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

The mere fact that you're going "well, Rey is defined by her connections to others, that is why she'd willingly give them up for Kylo Ren" emphasizes why that makes no sense. Rey is defined by her connection to others and Finn and Leia are two of those people and there is no particularly good reason for her to let them die.

The assumption would be that her friends are dead or soon to be dead, and this is her one and only chance to have something like a family because Kylo understands her and wants to support her. It would be a mistake, obviously, but one that I would understand and be interested to see the consequences of.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

What if you had a harry potter movie where the main character starts off knowing all the spells and being completely badass. It would be loving boring, that's basically the character of Rey.

I can’t tell if this is ironic but Harry and Hermione are both immediately pitch perfect at any spell that matters.

Hell Harry is the best quidditch player in like school history after getting on a broom once

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Dishwasher posted:

TL:DR You can't blow up Galactic Poverty with proton torpedoes.

I understand what you're saying, and I agree with a fair chunk of it, and I don't mean to dismiss it, but:

tl;dr then the movie should probably not be called Star Wars.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

What if you had a harry potter movie where the main character starts off knowing all the spells and being completely badass. It would be loving boring, that's basically the character of Rey.

There's this anime series Overlord where the main character gets trapped in the game starting out as, like, Level 99 with maxed out stats and equipment. He has NPCs he leads out in the world to figure out what happened, can he escape, and if there's anyone else. It's kinda neat series and it works. He's basically invincible from the get go.

Allow me to demonstrate proof of what I stated....

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

Rey is a boring poo poo character. Go ahead and try to describe her personality without referencing that she's a scavenger-turned Jedi with orphan issues.

Someone trying to figure out what they should do with the power that they have.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
The discussions of the new Star Wars characters reminds me of this passage from "So long, and thanks for all the fish!"

Douglas Adams posted:

Chapter Twenty-five
Those who are regular followers of the doings of Arthur Dent may have received an impression of his character and habits which, while it includes the truth and, of course, nothing but the truth, falls somewhat short, in its composition, of the whole truth in all its glorious aspects.
And the reasons for this are obvious. Editing, selection, the need to balance that which is interesting with that which is relevant and cut out all the tedious happenstance.

Like this for instance. ``Arthur Dent went to bed. He went up the stairs, all fifteen of them, opened the door, went into his room, took off his shoes and socks and then all the rest of his clothes one by one and left them in a neatly crumpled heap on the floor. He put on his pyjamas, the blue ones with the stripe. He washed his face and hands, cleaned his teeth, went to the lavatory, realized that he had once again got this all in the wrong order, had to wash his hands again and went to bed. He read for fifteen minutes, spending the first ten minutes of that trying to work out where in the book he had got to the previous night, then he turned out the light and within a minute or so more was asleep.

``It was dark. He lay on his left side for a good hour.

``After that he moved restlessly in his sleep for a moment and then turned over to sleep on his right side. Another hour after this his eyes flickered briefly and he slightly scratched his nose, though there was still a good twenty minutes to go before he turned back on to his left side. And so he whiled the night away, sleeping.

``At four he got up and went to the lavatory again. He opened the door to the lavatory ...'' and so on.

It's guff. It doesn't advance the action. It makes for nice fat books such as the American market thrives on, but it doesn't actually get you anywhere. You don't, in short, want to know.

But there are other omissions as well, beside the teethcleaning and trying to find fresh socks variety, and in some of these people have often seemed inordinately interested.

What, they want to know, about all that stuff off in the wings with Arthur and Trillian, did that ever get anywhere?

To which the answer is, of course, mind your own business.

And what, they say, was he up to all those nights on the planet Krikkit? Just because the planet didn't have Fuolornis Fire Dragons or Dire Straits doesn't mean that everyone just sat up every night reading.

Or to take a more specific example, what about the night after the committee meeting party on Prehistoric Earth, when Arthur found himself sitting on a hillside watching the moon rise over the softly burning trees in company with a beautiful young girl called Mella, recently escaped from a lifetime of staring every morning at a hundred nearly identical photographs of moodily lit tubes of toothpaste in the art department of an advertising agency on the planet Golgafrincham. What then? What happened next? And the answer is, of course, that the book ended.

The next one didn't resume the story till five years later, and you can, claim some, take discretion too far. ``This Arthur Dent,'' comes the cry from the furthest reaches of the galaxy, and has even now been found inscribed on a mysterious deep space probe thought to originate from an alien galaxy at a distance too hideous to contemplate, ``what is he, man or mouse? Is he interested in nothing more than tea and the wider issues of life? Has he no spirit? has he no passion? Does he not, to put it in a nutshell, gently caress?''

Those who wish to know should read on. Others may wish to skip on to the last chapter which is a good bit and has Marvin in it.

Basically what I'm saying here is I wish Douglas Adams was alive and had written the Last Jedi.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Luke and yoda and Rey are all casting spells in the last movie. Snoke too.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

SimonCat posted:

Basically what I'm saying here is I wish Douglas Adams was alive and had written the Last Jedi.

Alternate reading: The Last Jedi is the series' Mostly Harmless.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Rey is good. People who get mad at her are literally just sexist and too blind to see that they’re sexist.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Only a misogynist would say Rey is only good, rather than great

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
True.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Captain von Trapp posted:

Alternate reading: The Last Jedi is the series' Mostly Harmless.

Oh, that is a good one.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

GoldfishStew posted:

Rey is good. People who get mad at her are literally just sexist and too blind to see that they’re sexist.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

GoldfishStew posted:

Hillary, is that you?

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I find this movie frustrating for bringing up tantalizing possibilities and then dropping them. And a lot of people have been saying that it subverts expectations but...it kinda doesn't, imo.

We learn that the Resistance and First Order get their equipment from the same people and that the galactic one-percenters are getting rich off of it. Thats an interesting spin on Star Wars. But its just sorta mentioned and then forgotten about when Finn and Rose get back into the main plot. It may come up again in Episode 9, but for the rest of Episode 8 it doesn't seem to play a big part in anything. Kylo says "gently caress the resistance, gently caress the first order, gently caress the past" which I guess could be a part of that, but I think the topic is interesting enough to play an even bigger role, and it should have. Not just some background material. The rest of the movie is still pretty much Good Rebels versus Bad Imperials. Its like the movie wants to score some points for mentioning war profiteering but doesnt want to really delve deep into it, and its a shame because, like i said, that'd be interesting to do for Star Wars.

And then when Kylo kills Snoke and offers Rey to join him. She learns that her parents were nobodies, he's just killed Snoke so he's the head of the First Order now, she wants to try to get through to Kylo. But she refuses...for some reason. Well, no, not for "some reason": it's because this is what's supposed to happen in this movie. If she had actually taken him up on his offer, believing that she can influence him just as much as he can influence her, and together they can end this war peacefully and start fresh, that would have been different from what happened in the Original Trilogy, where Vader offered Luke to join him and Luke refused and would rather commit suicide. But Rey has to refuse Kylo so that this trilogy isnt too different from the Original Trilogy. Having the protagonist actually switch allegiances would be too similar to the Prequels, which everyone hated and which Disney wants to avoid comparisons to. She has to play the Luke Skywalker role, which means she refuses and now the third movie will involve her fighting Kylo again.

I'm sure people can come up with justifications for why it went this way (Rey wants family and sees the Resistance as her family, not Kylo; maybe she sensed that he was totally going to kill the Resistance no matter what she said to convince him otherwise; etc.), but still, they're still justifications for why things turned out the way everyone assumed they would and for NOT doing the unexpected thing.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I've been thinking about how the idea of consuming a star for fuel was cool in TFA but they could have done a lot more with it. Starkiller base should have started off as a temperate or tropical planet and gotten colder and colder the more of the star was used up. The animals have never had to go through a winter before so they all die when the temperature drop, and you could have a line or two of dialogue making this explicit when some of the characters find the corpses everywhere. There's gotta be something symbolic in the fact that their naivete of never having known hardship causes the First Order to kill them :thunk:

Then as it got colder there'd be a blizzard which a lot of the dramatic events in the movie could happen in, but after that, at the very end right before they win, it's so cold there's not a blizzard or even wind anymore, it's just eternal, perfectly still night, snow so thick you can't even see the animal corpses anymore. It's starting to make me mad they didn't do this.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Blue Star posted:

I find this movie frustrating for bringing up tantalizing possibilities and then dropping them. And a lot of people have been saying that it subverts expectations but...it kinda doesn't, imo.

We learn that the Resistance and First Order get their equipment from the same people and that the galactic one-percenters are getting rich off of it. Thats an interesting spin on Star Wars. But its just sorta mentioned and then forgotten about when Finn and Rose get back into the main plot. It may come up again in Episode 9, but for the rest of Episode 8 it doesn't seem to play a big part in anything. Kylo says "gently caress the resistance, gently caress the first order, gently caress the past" which I guess could be a part of that, but I think the topic is interesting enough to play an even bigger role, and it should have. Not just some background material. The rest of the movie is still pretty much Good Rebels versus Bad Imperials. Its like the movie wants to score some points for mentioning war profiteering but doesnt want to really delve deep into it, and its a shame because, like i said, that'd be interesting to do for Star Wars.

And then when Kylo kills Snoke and offers Rey to join him. She learns that her parents were nobodies, he's just killed Snoke so he's the head of the First Order now, she wants to try to get through to Kylo. But she refuses...for some reason. Well, no, not for "some reason": it's because this is what's supposed to happen in this movie. If she had actually taken him up on his offer, believing that she can influence him just as much as he can influence her, and together they can end this war peacefully and start fresh, that would have been different from what happened in the Original Trilogy, where Vader offered Luke to join him and Luke refused and would rather commit suicide. But Rey has to refuse Kylo so that this trilogy isnt too different from the Original Trilogy. Having the protagonist actually switch allegiances would be too similar to the Prequels, which everyone hated and which Disney wants to avoid comparisons to. She has to play the Luke Skywalker role, which means she refuses and now the third movie will involve her fighting Kylo again.

I'm sure people can come up with justifications for why it went this way (Rey wants family and sees the Resistance as her family, not Kylo; maybe she sensed that he was totally going to kill the Resistance no matter what she said to convince him otherwise; etc.), but still, they're still justifications for why things turned out the way everyone assumed they would and for NOT doing the unexpected thing.

Anything and everything interesting in this movie is done halfway at best and later undermined and abandoned at worst

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I love that team "TLJ is good" now has a real doll fucker on their side, brilliant.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

I love that team "TLJ is good" now has a real doll fucker on their side, brilliant.

Let's try this: if there's anyone in the thread who thinks TLJ is worse than TFA, let them step forward

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

s.i.r.e. posted:

So who gives a poo poo. Just discuss the movie, let's break this piece of art down and dissect it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Let's try this: if there's anyone in the thread who thinks TLJ is worse than TFA, let them step forward

For me that's a tough question to answer because a lot of the problems I have with TLJ were established in TFA. So yea, I guess that makes TFA worse.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's tough. TFA had one good dramatic scene (Kylo and Han), TLJ had one good action scene (killing Snoke and how pretty the incinerated red dude's ashes were). Really depends on your temperament. I don't think anything in TLJ felt as destroyed in the editing room as the aftermath of Maz's cantina, but nothing in TFA was as cringe as the little kid with the rebel ring. The end scene with Kylo v Rey in TFA wasn't terrible and the sky killer was a little more threatening as an antagonist than Poe and Finn's incompetence, but Mark Hamill also wasn't terrible and I preferred the new Leia. I wouldn't judge someone harshly either way.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 3, 2018

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I think it's worse but I respect that it at least tried to do something unique

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's true that you can't look at sales alone to determine a films worth. It also performed well on other metrics, such as critical reviews and making terrible nerds mad.

man 2018 sucks

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

GoldfishStew posted:

You seriously only watch this movies for electric sword battles?

im in it for the spaceships personally

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

GoldfishStew posted:

You people are loving weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

PriorMarcus posted:

Extended Universe doesn't count. In the films it's presented as Coruscant blowing up.

The film literally says it's the Hosnian system.

• Locked thread