Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Budgie Jumping posted:

I think this is missing a portion and I'm very interested in knowing what it is.

Er, yeah. I edited the post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Well I just learned that one of my coworkers is one of Those Guys who absolutely despises Rose and complains about what a Mary Sue Rey is. He also complained that Kong: Skull Island was shoving politics down his throat.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kong: Skull Island is a propaganda piece for Big Monkey.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Military Industrial Kongplex

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It's about cucking the white race. Like most movies these days.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The movie where John C. Reilly fights giant lizards with a katana and Samuel L. Jackson yells “BITCH PLEASE” at Brie Larson had too much politics.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Twas politics that killed the beast.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The movie where John C. Reilly fights giant lizards with a katana and Samuel L. Jackson yells “BITCH PLEASE” at Brie Larson had too much politics.

Well, obviously an ALPHA MALE like Reilly and his bad rear end katana would've been ruling those stupid natives, but thanks to PC CULTURE, he was emasculated. I mean, his wife didn't even bring him that beer at the end!

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I mean presumably he's talking about how Samuel L Jackson is portrayed as bad for wanting to fight Vietnam forever when, as everyone knows, it would be good to fight Vietnam forever.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hat Thoughts posted:

Dude... U didn't find her loyalty to incredibly rich white men inspirational?

This film is not a hill I'm prepared to die on but I think that's a bit unfair. The film makes the point repeatedly (and not all that subtly) that these men (many of whom are creeps and assholes) don't give a poo poo about her when she's in trouble; the point is that she's not doing it for them but for her own sense of self and integrity.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Who is the best dialogue writer working today?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Well this is just bullshit.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Paul Thomas Anderson.

Coen Bros are ok, I guess, and Tarantino has flair but isn't exactly naturalistic. How do you define best?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'd have to think Tarantino would be up there.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Tommy Wiseau

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

therattle posted:

Paul Thomas Anderson.

Coen Bros are ok, I guess, and Tarantino has flair but isn't exactly naturalistic. How do you define best?

The first thing I plan to do when returning home from holiday vacation is seeing Phantom Thread in 70mm.

I'm thinking of writing in terms of having a distinct voice without completely quashing individual character, of word choice that lends a poetry and musicality to speech without becoming artificial. In terms of voice in 2017 I thought I Am Not Your Negro was phenomenal, mainly because it's just someone reading James Baldwin out loud.

I'm just reminded of this every time someone brings up Molly's Game and I remember how much I used to idolize Aaron Sorkin as a writer, something which has completely flipped in the past fifteen years; I don't think i've turned on an artist as hard without a sex scandal being involved

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I got a little worried when WB initially refused to lift their copyright claim against my Man of Steel video, but I'm feeling a little more confident seeing as how WWE also thinks that my review of loving The Resurrection of Gavin Stone is, no, totally an infringement on their commercial rights.

Also, next Spoiler Alert will feature no Christmas movies. Line-up is:
- Beach Rats (those hands, tho)
- I Am Heath Ledger (really I'm just gonna talk about one piece of Ledger's video art)
- Stronger (this is only the second music video I've done, so I hope it becomes more of a thing)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The first thing I plan to do when returning home from holiday vacation is seeing Phantom Thread in 70mm.

I'm thinking of writing in terms of having a distinct voice without completely quashing individual character, of word choice that lends a poetry and musicality to speech without becoming artificial. In terms of voice in 2017 I thought I Am Not Your Negro was phenomenal, mainly because it's just someone reading James Baldwin out loud.

I'm just reminded of this every time someone brings up Molly's Game and I remember how much I used to idolize Aaron Sorkin as a writer, something which has completely flipped in the past fifteen years; I don't think i've turned on an artist as hard without a sex scandal being involved

Yes, I thought I Am Not Your Negro was also excellent in large part because it had such rich material to work with in his writing and recordings.

And god yes, see Phantom Thread in 70mm. It's got lovely grain.

The McDonagh brothers both qualify, I think.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

From the three films I've seen by him, I think Kenneth Lonergan would be my pick, even with Manchester not being as great as I hoped. Maybe Whit Stillman (even though he revels in artificiality). If I knew how to speak more than just English, I'd feel comfortable picking a foreign-language director like Asghar Farhadi.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What’s the best thing to watch on prime that’s not exactly mainstream. Wanna watch more movies this year.

And I will watch.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

What’s the best thing to watch on prime that’s not exactly mainstream. Wanna watch more movies this year.

And I will watch.

Is this a threat?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

This Logan Paul thing has me thinking back to that horror movie they made about the suicide forest and all the controversy about it before it's release. I still remember this one viral Tumblr post that talked about its whitewashing and said something like "Imagine if an Italian director made a seedy film about slavery in America and didn't cast a single black person in it."

And it was like, oh no...oh no, you really don't know...

Anyway I really want to know what David Kerekes and David Slater have to say about this whole ordeal.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
What would be sick is if the corpse Logan Paul found in the suicide forest was his own.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Budgie Jumping posted:

What would be sick is if the corpse Logan Paul found in the suicide forest was his own.

Hell yeah.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I saw I, Tonya today and I found it pretty disappointing. Like the movie draws attention to the fact that poverty and class and spectacle and national mythologizing has something to do with what we're seeing, but it never actually makes any comment. The overall effect is like the movie is asking us to laugh at how terrible the poors are, and how they're trying to be above their station. It's like some watched Fargo and their takeaway was that they should have a whole movie making fun of the girls who hosed Steve Buscemi and Peter Stormare.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
^^that's bullshit. anybody who fucks Buscemi or Stormare deserves a monument in their likeness.

My million dollar idea is a serial found-footage film, like marvel hornets kinda thing, about a Logan Paul-type personality descending into madness and literal Hell, culminating in him finding his own corpse in the suicide forest and being devoured by it. Please don't steal my very good idea.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Trump just turned nuclear war into a dick measuring contest. We’re hosed.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/948355557022420992

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

This is some virtuoso poo poo right here

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Go gently caress yourself 2018.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/948359545767841792

The man is on a roll today. One of the all time great shitposters imo.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Popelmon posted:

Go gently caress yourself 2018.

At least we can count on not having to deal with 2019.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

therattle posted:

The McDonagh brothers both qualify, I think.

Martin in particular came to mind.

"Maybe that's what Hell is ... the entire rest of eternity spent in fuckin' Bruges" is possibly the greatest closing line ever.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Budgie Jumping posted:

Vlogger take care...the likes and faves may be your muthafuckin own.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

And I will watch.

Men And Chicken is on prime, and it's got Mads Mikkelsen. You might like it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I will watch that then. First K.Wastes cut, then men and chicken.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

reality is officially broken, we had a good run

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Have another hour-long mix I made.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12AlClK3EfwqdIB46Y0SauDjEA7ExPIqa/view?usp=sharing

It's not as good as the last seven, 'specially the beginning which is full of guilty pleasures, but towards the end it gets really spunky and I even managed to include a track I got from the noise archives. Includes:

- Tevin Campbell
- The Lonely Island & Norah Jones
- Steve Angello & Third Party
- The Hamilton Company
- Logic & Dizzy Wright
- Fila Fresh Crew
- Wild Style Allstars
- The Isley Brothers
- Diana Lee
- Elvis Presley
- Stan Rogers
- Ola Belle Reed