Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

bonds0097 posted:

Yeah, i figured it was the Alpha Legion infiltrate. It's gamey as gently caress to run Magnus with Alpha Legion berserkers, that makes zero sense from a fluff perspective.

Absolutely. In addition to generally not allowing lords of war in battles, I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to add a rule to primarchs like Magnus that state "you may only take Magnus if every model in your list has THOUSAND SONS keyword" or something like that.

I guess you should be able to use Magnus with Demons though. But not Alpha Legion...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

xtothez posted:

For infestation nodes, it's the other way around. They're most vulnerable to deep-striking units as you have to remove them as soon as something comes within 9", but by placing them under friendly units they are protected from that. Without deep-striking units, nodes are only vulnerable to very fast units like Flyers or warptime. So long as you don't lose all four, you can virtually guarantee 'stealer counter-charges in your own deployment zone, which is a fantastic response to Berserkers.

Since you're using Kronos, did you try the Deepest Shadow strat on Magnus? Between that, SitW & DtW it could help curtail some of his bullshit. Bonus style points if you have a Kronos warlord with Soul Hunger, or a Balethorn Cannon to stop him using his invuln save (and therefore the re-roll).

My Hive Tyrant is in a Kronos detachment and has the Miasma Cannon. I suppose I could make that a Balethorn Cannon. People don't really seem to run the 10+ dude units that a Stranglethorn Cannon would be good against, but I hate invulnerable saves so much that I might try out the Balethorn. Deepest Shadow would've been cool had I known it existed. The last game we played, I whipped up that Kronos detachment on the spot with the only knowledge I had being it let my reroll 1s to hit in shooting if I didn't move. He'd still get that +2 to the roll, but that means he's only smiting on a 5+ on one die and can't land the Super Smite.

Frobbe posted:

Suggest that the ground floor of any buildings are to be treated as LoS blocking. This houserule has been used many places with great success.

I posted in my group's Facebook group that our main LGS doesn't have a lot of LoS terrain. Someone said it was because 7th edition and possibly some prior editions didn't care about that stuff as much. I do remember watching people getting down to eye level and squinting and arguing about how many models in a unit their unit could see and all that. I don't think I could persuade them to use this rule, but in the discussion among themselves someone pointed out that if an infantry unit is within the square base that a building is on, they get cover. The building footprint (imaginary rectangle around the building) doesn't matter, it's actually the whole square base the terrain piece sits on. I don't know how that works for free-standing buildings on a battlemat or whatever, I just go along with whatever people tell me about terrain because I'm new - even if it contradicts something someone else told me.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
idea for a csm legion: a group of literal minded Marines who worship Khorne but misinterpreted the name so they all wear farmer hats and wear overalls over their power armor

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Booyah- posted:

Does anyone have advice for cheap transport options? I'm thinking of trying to get some cheap foam and cut my own holes in it.

Cheapest option outside a shoebox is a roomy metal toolbox with magnets on your bases.

One of these can hold at least 2k of Tyranids, and if they can do that they can probably hold 2k of anything. The top tray is removable for tall models and most infantry can safely be stuck to the inside walls leaving the bottom for big stuff. Only thing I haven't tested it with is fliers.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Farecoal posted:

idea for a csm legion: a group of literal minded Marines who worship Khorne but misinterpreted the name so they all wear farmer hats and wear overalls over their power armor

Khorne, or as he is called by the native people, Mhaize.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
My brother uses a Really Useful box lined with magnetic paper, and magnets on his bases.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Can anyone help me decide between Raveners vs Shrikes for Fast Attack nids?

They're both very similar stat-wise: 3 Wounds, Toughness/Strength 4, WS+/BS+ 3/4.

Raveners are cheaper, can deep strike, have an extra attack (melee limited to 2x scything talons or 1x ST/1x rending claws) and the Red Terror (+1 hit aura) is cheaper than the Shrike equivalent force multiplier and can dish out de facto mortal wounds. They've got dogshit leadership and a +5 save, so if they get caught out of synapse it's RIP unit.

Shrikes are a bit more expensive. They lose deep strike but get much better equipment options, +1 to save and Synapse. Tyranid prime is 100 points and has no wings option so doesn't seem like a good choice with Shrikes.

A shrike with a Deathspitter, Adrenal Glands and a Bonesword is 34 points. A Ravener with a deathspitter and rending claws is 30 points. They both have the same number of attacks in melee.

Entropy238 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 2, 2018

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Entropy238 posted:

Can anyone help me decide between Raveners vs Shrikes for Fast Attack nids?

They're both very similar stat-wise: 3 Wounds, Toughness/Strength 4, WS+/BS+ 3/4.

Raveners are cheaper, can deep strike, have an extra attack (melee limited to 2x scything talons or 1x ST/1x rending claws) and the Red Terror (+1 hit aura) is cheaper than the Shrike equivalent force multiplier and can dish out de facto mortal wounds. They've got dogshit leadership and a +5 save, so if they get caught out of synapse it's RIP unit.

Shrikes are a bit more expensive. They lose deep strike but get much better equipment options, +1 to save and Synapse. Tyranid prime is 100 points and has no wings option so doesn't seem like a good choice with Shrikes.

A shrike with a Deathspitter, Adrenal Glands and a Bonesword is 34 points. A Ravener with a deathspitter and rending claws is 30 points. They both have the same number of attacks in melee.

One of these will be phased out eventually and has no model support. I'm not a huge fan of them going away (not that I ever used them), but I wouldn't want anyone to invest now and get disappointed when they're removed unceremoniously later.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Imgur does this. https://www.imgur.com

I know it looks like a social place but I have had an account for years and no one in the "gallery" can see or comment on my pics, they are just in my account.

I upload all my pic there in albums for each army. You can move them and edit them and it has links for BBCcode links etc
Thank you! I'll work on porting all my existing photos over from Photobucket and let that account die. In the meantime, here's the grainy low-res picture of the Squat Devastators and "ammo cherub" from Facebook.

Having fun mixing the new Kharadron Overlord bits with both 40k and traditional Dwarf bits - I think they all mix really well. This "thunder hammer" guy is still waiting on a power-armour backpack and a wrist-mounted storm bolter.

Corrode posted:

How Corrode found his heavy bolters and nearly lost his mind

[...]

And a second pair. Somewhere in the plastic box, three more heavy bolters lurk. For now though, I can make these goddamn Basilisks tournament legal so I can actually take them to the GT, where I'm sure they'll disappoint me anyway.
I have an extra one if you decide you still need more - just give the thread a shout or PM me.

Now that my Catachan have met your purplemarines, I want a game with your Heresy boys!

Merton Blask posted:

Realized I've been posting these dudes piecemeal pretty much everywhere but actually on the forums, so here you go.
Glowing parts are largely recast from original bits in blue-tinted clear resin, lit by a combination of SMDs and 3mm/5mm LEDs.

A year's work, hopefully by the time I'm finished with the whole force they'll have a codex worth a drat.
Let me know when you and TheChirurgeon arrange that next game... I definitely want to spectate. Would also be great to do a smallish team game with our resident blue-glow-Necron-player someday on his terrain, though I'm not sure if putting your models next to his would a) inspire him to loftier heights of hobby or b) crush his spirit utterly. Only one way to find out!

Rano Pano posted:

Just wanted to show my jump pack Captain I built out of Vanguard/Deathwatch bits, I'm kinda happy with how he turned out :black101:

There's so much good hobby in the last few pages, but this guy really stands out. Wish my lil Squatty boys could take some more exciting poses, but Dwarfs probably couldn't rock this one very well. drat stunty legs.

Good hobby start to the new year!

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 2, 2018

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

I didn't see anyone respond to this yet. For a core GK force, I'd personally recommend a Nemesis Dreadknight Grandmaster, a Librarian and some Grey Knights in power armor. PA GK are versatile, so he can try fielding them a few different ways (ie strike squads, purgation squads, purifiers, or interceptors) and decide what he wants to use. Then I'd add another Dreadknight or a Land Raider or a Stormraven, according to preference. Then he can build from there depending on what he likes. Draigo and Voldus are good. Terminators are strong but very costly. Grey Knights usually carry a mix of their different melee weapon options. Incinerators and Psilencers are both good choices. Psycannons are fine but a bit overshadowed by Psilencers.

Thanks a bunch for that advice! I know a bit about regular Marines (though Chaos are my current obsession) but GK are pretty foreign to me. Will pass the suggestions along. :)

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

PierreTheMime posted:

One of these will be phased out eventually and has no model support. I'm not a huge fan of them going away (not that I ever used them), but I wouldn't want anyone to invest now and get disappointed when they're removed unceremoniously later.

Are they definitely being removed? Is this what normally happens when something is shunted from codex to index?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Entropy238 posted:

Are they definitely being removed? Is this what normally happens when something is shunted from codex to index?

No one really knows, but at the moment it seems likely that index-only stuff is not appearint in future editions.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Entropy238 posted:

We don't know. This is the first edition with indices. 8th seems insistent on preserving them so everyone can use every model they own, but if we get a 9th edition this compatability may break.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
They'll be removed or have new models released, either way you'll probably end up wishing you'd gone with the other option.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Fair enough. Thanks.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Zark the Damned posted:

I'm currently working on a renegade (read: looted) knight to go alongside my heretic orkstartes, and I'm about at the stage where I need to choose which weapons to build (assuming I don't magnetize it or something). What is the gooncensus on a good weapon selection?

I'm not necessarily after the 'best' build, but I'd prefer not to commit to a useless option.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the chainsword (to make it dead choppy), gatling gun (more dakka) and one of the rocket pods (probably the anti tank one as there aren't a lot of flyers amongst the local players).

Any thoughts?

Just slap on as many guns and kannonz as you can possibly manage and go hog wild, was my answer. I only regret not using the gauntlet and changing the fingers out for klawz. Then use whatever build you wish.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Genghis Cohen posted:

I have never found it necessary to glue infantry-sized plastic models to their bases, but drat, those are some very sharp looking White Scars. Well done on the white.

Thanks!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Corrode posted:

No one really knows, but at the moment it seems likely that index-only stuff is not appearint in future editions.

For some reason people refuse to think of index-only stuff as "throwing a bone to older players with out-of-date models." I guess it's a messaging thing? But yeah, I'd suggest that anything that's Index-only is gonna eventually get cut unless it gets a new model/release.

PierreTheMime posted:

Necrons are in a surprisingly good place with their Index. If you like robots, that’s probably the more competitive place right now.

Any examples of good lists you've seen? Our Necron player is convinced that Necrons are trash now and it'd be cool to be able to show him some good stuff he can look at when building lists

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Adding my tuppence to say that these White Scars are incredible, the sharp lines on your red detailing and the white armour look fantastic.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

TheChirurgeon posted:

For some reason people refuse to think of index-only stuff as "throwing a bone to older players with out-of-date models."

BECAUSE WHERE IS MY TIN BOYZ BONE???

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Rumor mill is whatever the heck this is.

Also don't think Daemons of Khorne was linked yet.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/01/02/faction-focus-daemons-of-khornegw-homepage-post-4/

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Oh good, more moulded flame/psychic jizz. My favourite design element.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

MonsterEnvy posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/01/02/faction-focus-daemons-of-khornegw-homepage-post-4/

A feel no pain that makes you fightier when you pass it is a cool idea.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

We've talked itt about approaching different skin tones. These dudes just posted some nice, simple guides that might be helpful: https://www.instagram.com/ruhrpott40k/

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

ineptmule posted:

Adding my tuppence to say that these White Scars are incredible, the sharp lines on your red detailing and the white armour look fantastic.

Thank you- it makes the days of cursing/fixing with 10 layers of touching up worth it

MonsterEnvy posted:

[/url]

It better be my ghost pirates.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
What's that between those steamed buns? It's a meaty new Badcast!
https://40kbadcast.com/2018/01/02/40k-badcast-23-burgers-sausages-and-a-guy-named-butch/

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

OhDearGodNo posted:

Thank you- it makes the days of cursing/fixing with 10 layers of touching up worth it

They truly look top knotch.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster
Anyone order from Discount Games Store in the last little while?

I put in an order Dec 2 for some stuff and it still hasn't shipped. First it was no news for two weeks, then it was "waiting for a restock", then it was a shipping notification and tracking number but it didn't actually ship, then a second shipping notification and tracking number, but now "waiting for restock but should be going out today".

I haven't ordered from them recently, but always had good experiences in the past. Should I be worried?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SRM posted:

https://40kbadcast.com/2018/01/02/40k-badcast-23-burgers-sausages-and-a-guy-named-butch/

You guys are integral to keeping my resolution of painting an hour every day.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

MonsterEnvy posted:

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Oh good, more moulded flame/psychic jizz. My favourite design element.

Goddamnit, that's the same bullshit that turned me off of what is otherwise and awesome Ynnead avatar.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Enentol posted:

Anyone order from Discount Games Store in the last little while?

I put in an order Dec 2 for some stuff and it still hasn't shipped. First it was no news for two weeks, then it was "waiting for a restock", then it was a shipping notification and tracking number but it didn't actually ship, then a second shipping notification and tracking number, but now "waiting for restock but should be going out today".

I haven't ordered from them recently, but always had good experiences in the past. Should I be worried?

Email Jay at discountgamesinc. He has historically always been good at email.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I was so, so relieved to find that the flies were optional with Typhus.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I'm honestly a little bummed because unlike a lot of the other armies no amount of tinkering with point costs is going to paper over the huge holes the army has.

Since I'm only just getting into playing, I'm curious what the biggest holes are for admec right now. To me it seems like they really need a transport, what are the other big ones?

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

dexefiend posted:

Email Jay at discountgamesinc. He has historically always been good at email.

Discount Games Store, not Discount Games Inc. :(

https://www.vendio.com/stores/Docs_Games_Store

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

SRM posted:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You guys are integral to keeping my resolution of painting an hour every day.

They're already responsible for a good 60% of my army.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
The Badcast inspired me to pick up a Hive Tyrant today and it worked out pretty great. Turns out one of the local stores has no idea how to price things so I grabbed my big boy for 20% off.

This being my first HT, are there any common assembly/painting pitfalls that I should avoid? I’m already planning on magnetizing the sockets so as to be able to swap out various arms/wings.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

The Badcast inspired me to turn juice money into sprues money. :v:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

What's the reference with juice money?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Forums Terrorist posted:

What's the reference with juice money?

A particularly bad dad spending so much money on 40k stuff that they weren't buying juice for their kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Artum posted:

A particularly bad dad spending so much money on 40k stuff that they weren't buying juice for their kid.

I don't have the exact post, but it was even slightly more disheartening. The guy was buying a ton of plastic with a kid in tow and mentioned he'd have money left over because of some sale and the kid spoke up and asked if this meant he could afford juice. The kid was so used to having spacemen prioritized over them and aware of their grinding grimdark poverty that they longed for deathJuicy Juice. :smith: