Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Do mind that while the investigator himself will appear soon, both of the signature cards are replacement bullshit.

Which is interesting, in a way, since they're so intertwined with his gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Don't support this alt-card promo bullshit.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Christ I hate packing exclusives with game novels

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

PJOmega posted:

Don't support this alt-card promo bullshit.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Another alt-art I'll just end up proxying. :shrug:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
gimmicky poo poo, not buying a book for this content

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Seriously, it's so easy to proxy the promo stuff. gently caress em.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I wouldn't have a problem if these things were for showing up to events, prizes, or something along those lines. But as the cereal box prize in books that should be decent enough to hold up by their own merits it's pretty lovely. It just says to me they don't have the faith in their own books that they don't need a dumb gimmick to get them to sell.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Radish posted:

I wouldn't have a problem if these things were for showing up to events, prizes, or something along those lines.

gently caress you, first worlder. :mad:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Lichtenstein posted:

gently caress you, first worlder. :mad:

I don't actually get to go to any cool events like that :( but I wouldn't begrudge others.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Radish posted:

I wouldn't have a problem if these things were for showing up to events, prizes, or something along those lines.

You should.

Alt-art is one thing. Functionally different cards are a bad path to go down.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

PJOmega posted:

You should.

Alt-art is one thing. Functionally different cards are a bad path to go down.

Yeah that's a good point.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Now that we know what archaic glyphs can turn into, Daisy has the potential to use it to be a better Rex than Rex.

I might give the new lower level book of shadows another look while I'm at it if she ends up needing more charges.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
I think you would need to mulligan hard for guiding stones since in order to surpass Rex you’re looking to play out stones, book of lore (to keep higher ed active) and book of shadows. Maybe in scenarios where the Agenda gives you a little early breathing room.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Today I started another run of Dunwich Horror. It turns out poo poo gets hard when you can't just rely on Duke to coast through stuff.

I also got gifted the Out of TIme and Space playmat, and it's amazing. The art is not only sweet on its own, but I was pleasantly surprised to see they've actually updated/enhanced it from the version we see on the card.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
So I got the core set for Christmas and I'm wondering what the prospects for solo play are without buying anything new. Hobby stuff is really expensive in the country I'll be living in until May, so I don't think I'll be buying any expansions for a while, and to be honest I'm not totally sold yet on investing in this game over the LOTR LCG (which I started with last year, and really enjoy).

I played the first scenario a few times with just the recommended starting deck for Roland and it seems pretty swingy, with a couple of bad turns pretty much eliminating any chance of winning. Do I pretty much have to play double-handed to be able to enjoy the game solo?

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer

MeinPanzer posted:

So I got the core set for Christmas and I'm wondering what the prospects for solo play are without buying anything new. Hobby stuff is really expensive in the country I'll be living in until May, so I don't think I'll be buying any expansions for a while, and to be honest I'm not totally sold yet on investing in this game over the LOTR LCG (which I started with last year, and really enjoy).

I played the first scenario a few times with just the recommended starting deck for Roland and it seems pretty swingy, with a couple of bad turns pretty much eliminating any chance of winning. Do I pretty much have to play double-handed to be able to enjoy the game solo?

I think solo is viable if you only have the core set. I could see Agnes or Daisy being competent by themselves with maybe a few proxies for the 1-of staples from the core set.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Some proxies will fix the issues imho. Having two ofs reduces the swinginess of your draws a lot and makes for a smoother game.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Are there any good blogs/sources of information and strategy for the game, a la Hall of Beorn? I'm mostly netdecking but want to try my hand at deckbuilding.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Anyway, here are a couple of tries for a new Dunwich campaign. Mark and Daisy.

Mark Harrigan posted:

Total Cards: (30)

Investigator: (1)
1x Mark Harrigan (The Path to Carcosa)

Asset: (13)
2x Beat Cop [0] (Core Set)
2x Flashlight [0] (Core Set)
2x Guard Dog [0] (Core Set)
2x Machete [0] (Core Set)
1x Painkillers [0] (The Miskatonic Museum)
2x True Grit [0] (The Path to Carcosa)
2x .32 Colt [0] (The Path to Carcosa)

Event: (14)
2x Dodge [0] (Core Set)
1x Elusive [0] (Core Set)
2x Emergency Aid [0] (The Miskatonic Museum)
2x Emergency Cache [0] (Core Set)
2x Evidence! [0] (Core Set)
1x Prepared for the Worst [0] (Blood on the Altar)
2x Shortcut [0] (The Dunwich Legacy)
1x “If it bleeds...” [0] (Undimensioned and Unseen)
1x “Let me handle this!” [0] (The Path to Carcosa)

Skill: (3)
1x Perception [0] (Core Set)
2x Vicious Blow [0] (Core Set)

Low on skills and high on health, I've found that with Sophie you can get good numbers on any given test anyway, and you need allies to soak sanity damage anyway. On that front, First Aid seems too slow to be effective. Slightly worried about cost, I may drop the guns, get more skills and mulligan hard for the Machete and Prepared for the Worst, specially after I upgrade to Brother Xavier. Not sure about Painkillers, either, is it possible to have too much health, specially paired with Daisy and Medical Texts?

Daisy Walker posted:

Total Cards: (30)

Investigator: (1)
1x Daisy Walker (Core Set)

Asset: (14)
1x Daisy’s Tote Bag [0] (Core Set)
2x Magnifying Glass [0] (Core Set)
1x Medical Texts [0] (Core Set)
2x Old Book of Lore [0] (Core Set)
2x Shrivelling [0] (Core Set)
2x Holy Rosary [0] (Core Set)
2x Dr. Milan Christopher [0] (Core Set)
1x Research Librarian [0] (Core Set)
1x Strange Solution [0] (The Dunwich Legacy)

Event: (13)
2x Delve Too Deep [0] (The Miskatonic Museum)
2x Emergency Cache [0] (Core Set)
2x Logical Reasoning [0] (A Phantom of Truth)
2x Mind Over Matter [0] (Core Set)
2x Shortcut [0] (The Dunwich Legacy)
2x Ward of Protection [0] (Core Set)
1x “I’ve got a plan!” [0] (The Miskatonic Museum)

Skill: (4)
2x Deduction [0] (Core Set)
2x Unexpected Courage [0] (Core Set)

Weakness: (1)
1x The Necronomicon (Core Set)

Healer-Clue Gatherer. Daisy has way too many good cards. Possible includes are Flashlight (too much investigation?), Blinding Light (Mark should be able to punch monsters away and she has some other 'Oh, poo poo' cards) or more books or ways to get them (but I'm going to add Encyclopedias later on). I am probably being way too greedy with 2 Delve too Deep and the Unidentified solution.

Any suggestions?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Not a fan of doubling beat cops and guard dogs. You neither want Charisma for them, nor want to kill them off just for the sake of it. I'd ditch beat cops in lieu of Unexpected Courage (just keep 'em until they save your butt on a nasty event), but then upgrade the dogs to lvl 2 cops.

You might consider slotting in Taunt (it can be really MVP), but then again, in two player it can be kinda situational.

As for Daisy, I think you should go double Strange Solution or none - you need them for slotting in upgraded versions, you need to draw them at a calm, opportune time and they have wild icons, so they aren't really a dead draw anyways. If playing Delve too Deep, consider also using Maleson, not to gently caress yourself up (he's also an amazingly cheap bag of HPs). Though the price of such setup is pretty much having to go for Charisma ASAP.

Forget the flashlight (you've got plenty of intelligence anyway) and blinding light (way overcosted, just save your sweet yellow events for tough situations).

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks.

My reasoning for having 4 allies with Mark is that I want to get Xavier as a way to get more sanity (3 instead of 2), shore up a weak stat and all of it cheaply XP wise, and upgraded cops are awesome. The alternative would be Elder Sign Amulets, but 3XP apiece hurt. I see your point, though. Will probably dump the cops for now.

Regarding the Solution, I was aiming for 1 Freezing Variant to have another out to evade a monster (The Fight and Healing ones seem pretty pointless in this deck), but on second thought I already have some emergency cards slotted in there. I do feel that 2 Wards are enough to deal with Delve, though, monster shouldn't be an issue with Mark around. Will try and report back. After losing a bunch, probably.

EDIT: Mark is going to need 4XP for the shotgun eventually, because Shotgun+Home Front is too silly and funny to pass up. He's even in the picture, damnit. Thus I rather be stingy on XP on his deck.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Dec 28, 2017

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Fat Samurai posted:

Thanks.

My reasoning for having 4 allies with Mark is that I want to get Xavier as a way to get more sanity (3 instead of 2), shore up a weak stat and all of it cheaply XP wise, and upgraded cops are awesome. The alternative would be Elder Sign Amulets, but 3XP apiece hurt. I see your point, though. Will probably dump the cops for now.

Regarding the Solution, I was aiming for 1 Freezing Variant to have another out to evade a monster (The Fight and Healing ones seem pretty pointless in this deck), but on second thought I already have some emergency cards slotted in there. I do feel that 2 Wards are enough to deal with Delve, though, monster shouldn't be an issue with Mark around. Will try and report back. After losing a bunch, probably.

EDIT: Mark is going to need 4XP for the shotgun eventually, because Shotgun+Home Front is too silly and funny to pass up. He's even in the picture, damnit. Thus I rather be stingy on XP on his deck.

I ran a similar Mark deck through Dunwich and I think 4 allies is fine. You want allies to soak damage so Sophie doesn't flip on you.

You will probably want to grab charisma somewhere down the line but I'd prioritize Vicious Blows and/or Beat Cop upgrades over it. I'd cut If it bleeds... for a pipe or another Let me handle this.

I'd avoid Xavier though. Way too expensive to mitigate 3 horror for 5 resources and Mark doesn't really need the will boost. You're better off running pipes or just having Daisy heal your horror.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Can you include both the upgraded version of a card and the basic version in the same deck (after buying the upgraded version with XP, of course)?

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

MeinPanzer posted:

Can you include both the upgraded version of a card and the basic version in the same deck (after buying the upgraded version with XP, of course)?

You can't have more than 2 copies of a card by title, so you can't have 2 basic versions and 2 upgraded versions, because that would 4 copies of a card with the same title. You can have 1 basic and 1 upgraded.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

You can't have more than 2 copies of a card by title, so you can't have 2 basic versions and 2 upgraded versions, because that would 4 copies of a card with the same title. You can have 1 basic and 1 upgraded.

Okay, good, that's what I figured. Thanks.

Also, let's say I've spent 6XP on upgraded cards in between scenarios 1 and 2. In between scenarios 2 and 3 I have 3XP more to spend, but I'm unhappy with how my initial upgraded card choices are working out and I want to buy something more expensive than 3XP. Can I give up my initial upgrades and regain the 6XP, so that I can spend 9XP in total, or does that 6XP disappear altogether once it's spent initially?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

MeinPanzer posted:

Okay, good, that's what I figured. Thanks.

Also, let's say I've spent 6XP on upgraded cards in between scenarios 1 and 2. In between scenarios 2 and 3 I have 3XP more to spend, but I'm unhappy with how my initial upgraded card choices are working out and I want to buy something more expensive than 3XP. Can I give up my initial upgrades and regain the 6XP, so that I can spend 9XP in total, or does that 6XP disappear altogether once it's spent initially?

RAW it is spent, and no refunds are given. You only get a discount when upgrading a card with the same name as the card you are taking out for it.

You are of course free to do whatever, especially if a card was misread at first or whatnot.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

How well does this play with four people? I know it'd have to be 2 core sets, but does it feel like you're playing in a way the game isn't really designed for? Like, Magic can be played with more than 2 people but all sorts of weird poo poo starts happening, both in terms of the rules and balance.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Nah. It's built for up to four normally. Some scenarios are a bit easier/harder with more people, so it balances out. Only thing is sessions can run a bit longer with that many people.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

What do I do with a weakness card when drawn by Old Book of Lore (draw three, add one to hand, shuffle the rest into the deck). RAW, unless the card goes to the table, it seems that I should resolve the effects and then shuffle it back.

Edit: Nevermind, you do not draw the cards, you "search" them.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 3, 2018

YancyQ
Jan 18, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Fat Samurai posted:

What do I do with a weakness card when drawn by Old Book of Lore (draw three, add one to hand, shuffle the rest into the deck). RAW, unless the card goes to the table, it seems that I should resolve the effects and then shuffle it back.

Old Book of Lore lets you search the top 3 cards of your deck and you choose to draw one. Searching is not the same as drawing, so you can choose to draw one of the other 2 cards instead of the weakness in which case the weakness does not resolve.

If for some reason you choose to draw the weakness, it resolves normally just like you drew it from the top of your deck. You still have to shuffle your deck to randomize the other 2 cards that you searched.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Boxman posted:

How well does this play with four people? I know it'd have to be 2 core sets, but does it feel like you're playing in a way the game isn't really designed for?

2 cores will hurt at 4 players. In my 4 player group we have 4 cores and 2 of each pack after that and it’s worked pretty well. We actually only just added the 4th core with Path to Carcosa, given the overlap of classes at the table this time around. That might sound a little much, but that’s two players in the group doing the collecting, so it ends up a bit saner on everyone’s budgets.

Edit: oh yeah, and 4 players rules.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President
I tried putting together a Wendy deck using Dark Horse/Madame La Branche. Played through Dunwich with it last night and it worked pretty well (right up until I got devoured by Yog-Sothoth anyway). It was a lot of fun, so I thought I'd share:

Assets
1x Wendy's Amulet (Core Set)
2x Hard Knocks (Core Set)
2x Scavenging (Core Set)
2x Flashlight (Core Set)
2x Fire Axe (The Dunwich Legacy)
2x Lone Wolf (Blood on the Altar)
2x Dark Horse (Undimensioned and Unseen)
2x Gravedigger's Shovel (The Path to Carcosa)
2x Madame Labranche (A Phantom of Truth)

Events
1x Elusive (Core Set)
1x Sneak Attack (Core Set)
1x Bait and Switch (The Dunwich Legacy)
1x Hiding Spot (The Path to Carcosa)
1x Fight or Flight (The Unspeakable Oath)
1x Cheap Shot (A Phantom of Truth)

Skills
1x Survival Instinct (Core Set)
1x Guts (Core Set)
1x Perception (Core Set)
1x Overpower (Core Set)
2x Quick Thinking (Undimensioned and Unseen)
2x Resourceful (The Path to Carcosa)

Treachery
1x Abandoned and Alone (Core Set)

Once you replace Hard Knocks with Plucky, replace Flashlight with Lockpicks, and grab Scrapper, it becomes very flexible and reliable for Solo play. Having 2-3 supply/turn to blow on skill pumps and Fire Axes is neat, and investigating at a skill of 9 is a great way to reliably trigger Scavenging to recur Wendy's Amulet.

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007
Do you bother to sleeve your cards, and if so, which ones? I've sleeved the small character cards since I would destroy them trying to flip on a regular basis, but any others seem like it would just get in the way.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

Do you bother to sleeve your cards, and if so, which ones? I've sleeved the small character cards since I would destroy them trying to flip on a regular basis, but any others seem like it would just get in the way.

In play -> sleeved
In binder -> unsleeved
scenario cards -> unsleeved

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

Sleeving makes shuffling much easier and obviously protects cards. I use ffg clear

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Lichtenstein posted:

In play -> sleeved
In binder -> unsleeved
scenario cards -> unsleeved

Similarly, but slightly more granular:

Binder -> unsleeved
Player decks -> sleeved in Dragonshield Clear Matte, because I love love love the card backs of the player cards for this game and wanted quality sleeves that could take lots of shuffling
Invesigator Cards -> sleeved in old leftover Dragonshield Clear (regular), alternatively FFG clear sleeves (silver packs), so that I could easily read both sides
Mini character cards -> sleeved in FFG clear sleeves (yellow packs)
Scenario cards that never get shuffled (chaos bag reference card, location cards, etc.) -> unsleeved
Encounter cards/scenario cards that get shuffled -> sleeved in FFG clear sleeves (silver packs)

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I recommend Ultrapro, if only because FFG sleeves are cut ever so slightly long for some reason.

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007
My partner and I got into this game pretty unexpectedly (never into board or cardgames before) and absolutely love it. Don't even bother with the roleplaying aspect, but find the cooperation and difficulty to be addicting. Bummed I have to shell out :10bux: minimum for each expansion, but intrigued by the prospect of building an ongoing campaign. Only have the core so far, so any recommendations for where to go next?

Tried to branch out into other two-player games with 7 Wonders Dual, but found it a bit basic in comparison. Can anybody recommend other games of similar complexity and excitement?

Similarly, is Android: Netrunner even worth looking into or to be avoided at all costs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Android: Netrunner is an amazing card game but not cooperative at all. There is a cooperative expansion but it’s supposedly not great (although it does add cards to the pool so if you get into the game you’ll get it eventually).

The upside of Netrunner is they just released a whole bunch of banned / restricted cards and cycled a bunch of poo poo out, in conjunction with the release of the new Revised score Set which makes it a decent time to get into the game. The bad news is there is still, like, 5-6 cycles of product which are still legal along with four deluxe packs, so the buyin to have everything right now is high.

If you enjoy the deck building aspect I cannot recommend Netrunner enough. Other options that are popular right now are Legend of the Five Rings (just came out in October and only 6 expansion packs released so it’s just getting started), and the Game of Thrones LCG. I’ve heard decent things about Star Wars, but haven’t branched into it due to being more interested in their CCG card/dice game Star Wars: Destiny, and I also own everything I’ve named in this list so far. :v: Arkham is your best co-op option at the moment.

We have Netrunner and LCG threads floating around so if you have more questions and want to get more targeted recs, hit those up!