Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

sellouts posted:

You were dealing with clients on Jan 1?

I mean, I was briefly as well I guess? But yours sounds so much more like punishment.

No I was dealing with clients on January 2 at 2 AM. Keep up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm being sent to Toledo, Huntsville and buttfuck, Kansas so far q1

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
condolences on Toledo

the OG Tony Packos is worth checking out once

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

No planned travel for Q1. Going stir crazy.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

kimcicle posted:

I have Louisville, Portland, Vegas, Pleasanton, Indianapolis, Columbus, Denver, Orlando, and Long Island on my Q1 schedule.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Singapore, NYC, Dallas, Israel, Chicago, Boston, Tampa.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

A lot of Germany and the Low Countries for me.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

KillHour posted:

Singapore, NYC, Dallas, Israel, Chicago, Boston, Tampa.

Tampa is the bomb post here for recommendations

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Waroduce posted:

Of all the places I think that's the most "at risk" of not happening. But we'll see.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Your job kinda sucks a lot, KillHour, but silver lining they send you to some nice cities at least.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Waroduce posted:

There is little reason to visit Tampa as long as Miami still exists.

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice

Midjack posted:

TPA is A Fine Airport at least

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Midjack posted:

I live in Miami and i like Tampa way more. It's much less pretentious and way more relaxed and laid back. It reminds me very much of like a ftl kind of vibe. Also way cheaper

St. Petersburg and Clearwater beaches are nice too.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

kimcicle posted:

Idk what’s happening beyond January but this month I have to go to Las Vegas for CES, Detroit the following week for NAIAS, then Irvine the week after that and Charlotte at the end of the month. Guess I should probably by a monthly Gogo pass; anyone know if they’re easy to cancel if February doesn’t have a lot of travel? (They make financial sense if I fly at least four times in a month.)

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

drgitlin posted:

Yes, which is why my miles all go to British Airways. To get Silver (OW Sapphire) you need 600 tier points and four paid flights on BA metal. Gold is 1500 tier points and 4 paid flights.

But, flying in and out of London airports can be horribly expensive in CW or F because of the taxes.

Another bonus to getting status on BA vs AA is that when you get to Silver (Sapphire) you get lounge access. Otherwise you’re best off signing up for the AA MasterCard but that has a $500 annual fee.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

drgitlin posted:

Idk what’s happening beyond January but this month I have to go to Las Vegas for CES, Detroit the following week for NAIAS, then Irvine the week after that and Charlotte at the end of the month. Guess I should probably by a monthly Gogo pass; anyone know if they’re easy to cancel if February doesn’t have a lot of travel? (They make financial sense if I fly at least four times in a month.)

I understand CES / NAIAS, but what brings you down to Irvine in late January?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

kimcicle posted:

I understand CES / NAIAS, but what brings you down to Irvine in late January?

Mazda is based there, going to drive their new Skyactiv-X HCCI engine. (Charlotte is a trip to go visit some NASCAR stuff.)

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I have Miami Beach, Dallas, Vegas, Orlando (maybe), Vegas, DC (maybe), Arlington VA, Miami Beach, Boston (maybe), NYC (maybe), Boston, Greece (maybe), Chicago, Boca Raton, Austin, San Diego, Barcelona, Boca Raton...

Great thing about Jetblue status is free refunds (in the form of airline credit) so some of these maybes are booked already!

drgitlin posted:

Mazda is based there, going to drive their new Skyactiv-X HCCI engine. (Charlotte is a trip to go visit some NASCAR stuff.)

Their new HQ in Irvine Spectrum is a beautiful building. I live and work in Irvine so lmk if you want to Goonmeet.

Hope you are flying into SNA.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

drgitlin posted:

Mazda is based there, going to drive their new Skyactiv-X HCCI engine.

Oh nice! Any clue if they are going to be like the earlier prototypes (mazda 3 hatchback exteriors riding on the new platform) or closer to production cars? Or will I have to wait for the ars post to find out?

Mandalay posted:

Their new HQ in Irvine Spectrum is a beautiful building. I live and work in Irvine so lmk if you want to Goonmeet.

Hope you are flying into SNA.

Hyundai and Kia both have pretty good looking buildings in the area too. I probably can't meet up for a goonmeet but I can sure as hell suggest some places to eat.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
I am pretty sure it’ll be in the Mazda 3, but maybe not.

Dunno if I’ll have time to meet up as these things usually don’t leave any free time, but I’ll post in this thread once I know what the schedule looks like.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
Why do people wait until last minute to book CES plane rides even though they're confirmed for going and their dates are firm? jeez..

On the other hand, seeing JetsuiteX fly BUR-LAS is kinda cool. Pricing was a bit high though, like $400 one way.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

i fly airplanes posted:

Why do people wait until last minute to book CES plane rides even though they're confirmed for going and their dates are firm? jeez..

On the other hand, seeing JetsuiteX fly BUR-LAS is kinda cool. Pricing was a bit high though, like $400 one way.

I've flown them before on that route. I think they're seasonal. I also booked a couple of weeks in advance and it was like $129 one way.

Definitely worth it at $129, would do again

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Mandalay posted:

Compared to the rest of the Irvine Company’s schlocky architecture it’s more contemporary, but they cheaped the gently caress out of those towers, particularly on the glazing. Also, that LED trim at the top of the building is very tired.

kimcicle posted:

Hyundai and Kia both have pretty good looking buildings in the area too. I probably can't meet up for a goonmeet but I can sure as hell suggest some places to eat.

Hyundai was done by Gensler and is decent if a bit monotonous along the 405, but SOM did a fantastic job with Kia’s buildings. They are very well crafted.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

i fly airplanes posted:

Never mind plane fares, imagine what their hotel bills will be like. That or they’re staying in Reno at this point.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Noggin Monkey posted:

Compared to the rest of the Irvine Company’s schlocky architecture it’s more contemporary, but they cheaped the gently caress out of those towers, particularly on the glazing. Also, that LED trim at the top of the building is very tired.

Hyundai was done by Gensler and is decent if a bit monotonous along the 405, but SOM did a fantastic job with Kia’s buildings. They are very well crafted.

The Hyundai building is OK but when you're in the interior courtyard the building seems two stories too short.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

kimcicle posted:

Same here. Especially after an almost totally bare Q4 for last year.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
Finally got my Q1 schedule:

Dallas
Seattle
Akron
Toronto
Chicago
Grand Rapids
Dallas
Tampa

So much 12 or less trips this year. Already planning for India again in May-ish. I'm looking forward to Seattle though so I can go to the Museum of Flight and to the Boeing facility.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Grand Rapids has some good beer.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Grand Rapids has some good beer.

Beer city 2 years in a row! It's one of my favorite things about going back home.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DJCobol posted:

Beer city 2 years in a row! It's one of my favorite things about going back home.

2d favorite thing: getting the gently caress outta dodge

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

2d favorite thing: getting the gently caress outta dodge

Oh god yes. I drove up on December 23rd, spent Christmas Eve with family and friends, and had breakfast with my Dad before driving home on Christmas day.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Going on a tour around Toledo, Detroit, Columbus and Cleveland for clients in a week. I am from Florida. I have never driven in snow. It is single digits. Pray for me

Also, what should i know about traveling around in winter?

Can someone suggest some gloves that arent bulky and ugly AF but will keep my hands warm and let me use a touchscreen? Mostly for driving and stuff ill be either in the hotel or at the clients im not going to be in the woods or anything

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 4, 2018

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Waroduce posted:

Going on a tour around Toledo, Detroit, Columbus and Cleveland for clients in a week. I am from Florida. I have never driven in snow. It is single digits. Pray for me

Also, what should i know about traveling around in winter?

Can someone suggest some gloves that arent bulky and ugly AF but will keep my hands warm and let me use a touchscreen? Mostly for driving and stuff ill be either in the hotel or at the clients im not going to be in the woods or anything

Winter gear takes up way too much luggage space, so layer (and reuse said layers) as much as possible. If it's actively snowing while you're driving, double your braking distances and take everything slow until you figure out how your rental will behave in the snow. Don't pour boiling hot water on your rental car in an attempt to deice is quickly; you'll just crack the windshield.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

kimcicle posted:

Winter gear takes up way too much luggage space, so layer (and reuse said layers) as much as possible. If it's actively snowing while you're driving, double your braking distances and take everything slow until you figure out how your rental will behave in the snow. Don't pour boiling hot water on your rental car in an attempt to deice is quickly; you'll just crack the windshield.

Check to make sure the rental car has an ice scraper before leaving the lot. I was in New Jersey last month and discovered that the car didn't have an ice scraper the hard way.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I don't even know what an ice scraper is

I figure I'll fly in layers and with my heavy poo poo on me probs

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Arzakon posted:

Singapore Pro-Tip: Take a $30 flight to KL and get real food. Or eat chili crab, whatever.

I used to like going to Singapore all the time because it's convenient from Hong Kong and I have quite a few sing goons there to meet up.

But I just came back from a 2 Day singapore, 4 day Penang trip and man Penang is great. Better Durians too.

On the bright side I didn't ask this thread and thought I could book a hotel in the transit area but turns out it was only for day time! So I slept in the lounge for 7 hours

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Waroduce posted:

Uniqlo is the answer. Cheap but functional and good looking clothing. And good gloves too

Their Heat tech undershirts are amazing. They even have wind blocking pants with thermal lined inner layer so you can be nice and warm without being super bulky.

With a ultra warm under shirt , a regular shirt, and a ultra light down jacket for top
ultra warm leggings and block tech pants for bottom.

With a pair of gloves then you are good to go and can walk around in freezing -10C weather no problem. Oh yeah their gloves are so good you can still use your cell phone without taking them off

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Yeah I spent a whole winter in Luleå and wearing Uniqlo extra warm (ultra warm variant didn't exist at the time) long johns and turtlenecks with a ULD vest under some decent outer layers made it very tolerable.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You don't really need gloves. Just wait a bit for the car to warm up. Sure your hands will be loving freezing on the steering wheel but that's life. At least when I travel for work I'm rarely walking around outside a lot, and you are going to Car Places only.

If you're going next week don't be such a loving coward, it's supposed to be barely below freezing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Waroduce posted:

Honestly, once you get where you are going, just go to Target or Meijer and buy a $5 pair of gloves for the time you will be there. They won't be great, but they will be enough so that your fingers won't turn blue after being outside scraping the ice off your windows.