Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Looks like Trump has been so strict on Commercial Aviation that this thread has been quiet for 2 whole days.

e: is there like a New Year Snypa smiley?

vessbot fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
Can we also blame Trump for the bomb cyclone cancelling everything in the northeast tomorrow? Guess I’ll be stuck sitting around in NYC refreshing my schedule all day.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I refreshed my schedule today to find I've been bought off a trip, for the first time. That, combined with how good PBS was to me over the holidays brings me to just shy of a few days off from a continuous month off! Suck on that "bomb cyclone!" :c00lbert:

vessbot fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 4, 2018

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 20, 2019

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yay my trip cancelled from airport closures. For the first time since college, I have a snow day.

And we didn’t even get any precip here! Being a pilot rules!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I went to check the KJFK METARs, and either there’s a wildly different format than in Canada or something has gone awry. Should I be able to decode this?

KJFK 042351Z 31030G37KT 8SM SCT037 OVC075 M04/M09 A2938 RMK AO2 PK WND 31045/2337 SLP950 PRESENT WX DRSN 931018 4/008 60011 T10391089 11039 21050 53037 $

What the hell is going on after DRSN? The rest makes sense and then...

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

This and the guy that proposed on the United 747 both work for my company, I'm so proud of my fellow regional pilots sometimes :rolleyes:

Speaking of work, finally finished my first trip off IOE as captain! Of course, it was perfectly normal to fly my first day with an aircraft that had 6 deferred maintenance items, hour-long delays, with also a brand new first officer just off IOE...all starting at 6AM Chicago time. At least I didn't need to deice until the next day...

No, I like being an airline captain, why do you ask :shepicide:

PT6A posted:

I went to check the KJFK METARs, and either there’s a wildly different format than in Canada or something has gone awry. Should I be able to decode this?

KJFK 042351Z 31030G37KT 8SM SCT037 OVC075 M04/M09 A2938 RMK AO2 PK WND 31045/2337 SLP950 PRESENT WX DRSN 931018 4/008 60011 T10391089 11039 21050 53037 $

I would need maintenance too after generating a METAR like that in the middle of a blizzard. A look at this tells me that after driving snow there's a precip amount over 6 hours, hourly temp, max and minimum temp over a 6 hour period

Butt Reactor fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 5, 2018

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
"If ya can't read it, ya stay out of it"

Always served me

vessbot fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 5, 2018

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

PT6A posted:

Butt Reactor posted:

I would need maintenance too after generating a METAR like that in the middle of a blizzard. A look at this tells me that after driving snow there's a precip amount over 6 hours, hourly temp, max and minimum temp over a 6 hour period

Going to guess the temperature ("T") is negative with it starting with "1" because it sure isn't 103.9 Celsius, but gently caress me if I've ever seen some of the other stuff there on a METAR.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Haha that’s awesome.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Awesome.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

PT6A posted:

A few days late but there's an FAA Order for this crap, 7900.5. The 93xxxx is water equivalent of snow on the ground, 4/xxx is snow depth on the ground, 6xxxx is the 6 hour precipitation amount, Txxxxxxxx is the more exact temp/dew point for the report, 1xxxx is 6hr max temp (the second 1 indicates a negative number), 2xxxx is 6hr min temp, 5xxxx is the pressure trend. I just happen to be going through some weather observer training this week.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Huh, cool. I wonder if there's a Canadian equivalent to that code, I've never seen anything like it in the remarks section of our METARs.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I don't think ICAO have anything equivalent to these numeric codes. Looks like they are US only.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

PT6A posted:

Huh, cool. I wonder if there's a Canadian equivalent to that code, I've never seen anything like it in the remarks section of our METARs.

Yeah, we don't really have anything like that in our METARs here, even from the AWOS stations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Anyone know the 91 rule for donating blood or plasma off the top of your head?

48 hours? Less for plasma?

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Rolo posted:

Anyone know the 91 rule for donating blood or plasma off the top of your head?

48 hours? Less for plasma?

There isn't any such FAR rule, but the FAA does mention in a mostly unrelated AC about amateur-built aircraft that if your donation is 1 unit/500mL or less, it is recommended that you not fly for at least 24 hours. If you give more than 1 unit/500mL, that recommendation increases to 72 hours.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Canadian documents recommend that active pilots do not donate blood, but if you do, you should wait 48 hours before acting as a flight crew. However, I'm 99% sure that's an advisory thing, not a legal requirement.

They also recommend waiting a full 24 hours after drinking any alcohol, and I'm sure there's a lot of pilots who make due with 8 (legally required, as in the States) or 12.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Alternatively, if you have the time, look into donating platelets. It’s a longer process, like 2 hours for the donation, but you don’t really lose significant blood volume since they pull your blood, run it through a centrifuge to pull out the platelets, and then return it to you with some saline. I started doing that when a friend was diagnosed with aplastic anemia and needed platelet transfusions. They’re also needed for cancer patients and other illnesses, and they don’t last as long as whole blood so there’s always a need.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
When they pump the slightly cooled blood back in it feels weird as poo poo.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I passed my multi-IFR flight test! I got a decent mark (52/64, you need 39 to pass), but oddly enough my worst marks were both approaches, which I know I could've done better, and I have done better, but I just hosed up reasonably bad out of nerves. Apparently my examiner has a bit of a reputation as a hardass (our CFI said not to pick her, and to go with the other guy, but my instructor said "you're gonna learn a lot from her, her training is responsible for getting me past my sim evals at my new job -- do it with her!") but she was super nice and reasonably forgiving, provided you were willing to learn from your mistakes and what she had to say about them, instead of acting like you're hot poo poo all the time.

With that over, it is now beer o'clock.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Pass is a pass. Nice work!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Bob A Feet posted:

Pass is a pass. Nice work!

Hey, that's exactly what I said to myself!

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
I'm thinking about diving into an Instrument Rating (US), does anyone care to recommend materials that were especially good for actually learning it?

I somewhat enjoy the goofy Rod Machado books, but was curious if there was anything new out there for self-study.

Thanks!

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
6 month recurrent tomorrow, boo.
Has it really been 6 months since I upgraded? Wow.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Dalrain posted:

I'm thinking about diving into an Instrument Rating (US), does anyone care to recommend materials that were especially good for actually learning it?

I somewhat enjoy the goofy Rod Machado books, but was curious if there was anything new out there for self-study.

Thanks!

I'd recommend the Instrument Flying Handbook and the Instrument Procedures Handbook, both published by the FAA, and therefore available for free online. They're slightly more dry than a Machado book, and won't have as many pretty pictures and diagrams as a Jepp textbook will, but they're excellent sources of information and basically cover most of what you'd need to know as an instrument pilot.

The instrument flying handbook is basically "here's a little of everything you'd need to know about instrument flying", since it covers everything from aerodynamics and physiology, as well as an overview of most stuff you'll see flying IFR.

The Instrument Procedures Handbook is focused on just instrument procedures, and goes into more detail than the Instrument Flying Handbook on various topics, since there is overlap in what the two publications cover.

The Slaughter posted:

You do six month checks for upgrades? We stopped doing that at some point (including for new FO's), but there's a line check at the 6 month mark for upgrades to make sure we're not a complete menace to everything in the air.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe

Dalrain posted:

Thanks!

I went a little crazy on self-study because my CFI was pretty hands off (and dirt cheap). I used the printed ASA paper copies of the FAA books, Rod Machado's Instrument Survival Book, Jeppesen Instrument / Commercial book, and the King Oral / Checkride exam videos.

Shepard Air for the written. I'm now using them for all my future written exams. It's incredible.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

The Slaughter posted:

Would you say that time....

Faaaaaarrrrrttt?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

One of my crew-mates had a 172 declare an emergency earlier, engine not making power. After a bit of fiddling, he got it to come back to about 1900rpm, but no more: stuck throttle cable. He cruised around for awhile at barely 70kts, and could only maintain ~600ft with my friend trying to get him to find any of the grass strips (the only one he got eyes on is abandoned, and the pilot decided to press on for something a bit less Deliverance) out in the depths of Florida, and eventually made it into Placid Lakes uneventfully.

A couple minutes in, this guy offers to help out, and got down to two thousand feet and did circles around the guy, keeping an eye on him and relaying for us when we couldn’t hear him responding to us.

Someone buy those guys a beer if you run into them. :)

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Dalrain posted:

Thanks!

This is one of the few places where computer flight sims come in handy. Find a cessna/piper/whatever with an autopilot for your favorite flight sim and use it to practice holds/arcs/approaches without having to pay for the airplane. There's no replacement for hand flying but practicing your navigation and VOR usage without having to worry about anything else makes learning it in the airplane a hell of a lot easier.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
This seems like an especially unfun runway excursion: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/14/world/europe/turkey-plane-skid-runway.html

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

According to here.

quote:

First Officer is pilot flying, weather is at minimums. They are expecting to see the runway at minimums. At minimums they see the runway and the first officer disangages the autopilot but at the same time he presses the toga buttons. Captain takes over and lowers the nose and retards both thrust levers to idle, they land at idle thrust and aircraft was dispatched with one reverser inop. The captain deploys the thrust reverser of the left engine and releases the right engine. Since he hadn't disconnect the auto throttle right engine goes to TOGA thrust. Aircraft starts to accelerate and skids off the runway from the left. Right engine saparates. All passengers evacuate the aircraft from the rear door. No smoke in the cabin no injuries.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Wave offs are free

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
Unfortunately this sounds like pilot error to me. Reminds me of the southwest captain that smashed the landing gear through a wing taking over a landing in LGA. Landing is a bad time to exchange flight controls.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
February is close enough. OP update please, base change. Finally home.

KDCA - ATP ERJ170/190 CFI/CFII

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

AWSEFT posted:

First Officer is pilot flying, weather is at minimums. They are expecting to see the runway at minimums. At minimums they see the runway and the first officer disangages the autopilot but at the same time he presses the toga buttons. Captain takes over and lowers the nose and retards both thrust levers to idle, they land at idle thrust and aircraft was dispatched with one reverser inop. The captain deploys the thrust reverser of the left engine and releases the right engine. Since he hadn't disconnect the auto throttle right engine goes to TOGA thrust. Aircraft starts to accelerate and skids off the runway from the left. Right engine saparates. All passengers evacuate the aircraft from the rear door. No smoke in the cabin no injuries.

No. loving. Way. I just had a day of largely-self-induced aviation shame and humiliation, but that there is hosed up.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
The above is just some guy's supposition on PPRUNE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Bob A Feet, please tell about the collective/power lever on the V-22. Which way does it move? In airplane mode, it's blindingly obvious that they would make it like an airplane, forward=more power. And I'm sure they wouldn't make it reverse direction when it transitions to helicopter. Which means that in helicopter mode, it would be forward= collective up.

Now normal collectives are up/down instead of forward/back, and it seems to me that the more natural remapping would be that pulling up would be the same as pulling back (you're bending your elbow and pulling the lever toward yourself). But that would mean that on the V-22, back reduces collective, which would be backwards for helicopter guys!

Do I have this all right? If so, how do helicopter guys adjust to it?