Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Sails of Glory is super cool and probably the best Age of Sail naval combat game I've played, but god drat is it fiddly. Controlling more than about two ships at once is an exercise in "make this game take forever."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Brother got me a resin BEF Matilda from Warlord, and the right-side tread is super bent. How are Warlord about fixing poo poo like this?

I supposed they're a little more careful than Forge "gently caress it, send them an entire new model" World.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Ilor posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who obsessively paints the black-and-white DAK stripe on their sleeves.

I really like your basing scheme. I haven't added any turf effects to mine yet, and I might steal your desert wildflower idea.

Yeah from the beginning I was planning to keep my DAK super basic, but I could not just leave it as a bump on the sleeves. My laziness stops at not doing any insignia or ranks or anything. Might go back and do them later, but for now it works for the tabletop.

long-rear end nips Diane: thanks, once I had built them I thought they looked a bit like random heaps (which they were), but the addition of the tufts and stuff kept them together a bit.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Ilor posted:

Sails of Glory is super cool and probably the best Age of Sail naval combat game I've played, but god drat is it fiddly. Controlling more than about two ships at once is an exercise in "make this game take forever."

Uh-oh. I just got enough additional ship mats to have up to 6 ships on each side :ohdear:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Hi guys just to remind I haven't forgotten about the CoC 15mm bundle sale thing I posted a while back and a few of you PM'ed me about - I've just moved house so sorting that out over the last 2-3 weeks.

Class Warcraft posted:

Two things:

1) Have any of y'all played Pike and Shotte or Hail Ceaser? I'm thinking of taking advantage of Warlord's free box with rulebook purchase promotion but I've only played Bolt Action and Black Powder before. How do they compare?

I loving love Pike and Shotte; it is very much my jam. I see it as a slightly more flavourful version of Kings of War. From my brief dalliance with BP I can say it's very similar. Due to the primitive weapons (claymores, halberds, even longbows, full plate mail and bronze cannons) it's alot more flavourful IMO.

For those on the fence, think of that scene from Zulu when all the redcoats are mowing down the Zulu warriors; except it's both toothless conscript brits press-ganged into fighting for whichever side rolled through their village first. One of my favourite anecdotes is how the Royalist horse was so much vastly superior it was in a position to win the whole war multiple times, but Sir Rupert couldn't keep his cock in his pants and kept chasing down aforementioned rabble completely off the battlefield.

I can wholeheartedly recommend "A Time Traveller's Guide to Reformation Britain" for a snapshot of the period (well, technically a few years after but generally all the same stuff).

In terms of rules, the major difference between P&S and something like KoW/KoWH is the leadership mechanic. Each group of units (simply: small, medium or large - left down to you as to precisely how many bases/mans) has a commander whose command value you need to beat by a certain amount for one, two or three moves, everything can always shoot or fight. You can issue orders to your whole group, or unit by unit (the latter being more flexible but risking disordering your line). You have an overall commander who can issue commands to any unit that hasn't already been ordered, or the whole army (I think!).

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Pierzak posted:

Tell me more.

On second thought, nah I'm good.

No reason you can't play with your own minis. You shouldn't let yourself miss the opportunity for fun:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=447114787

Fish and Chimps posted:

Uh-oh. I just got enough additional ship mats to have up to 6 ships on each side :ohdear:

This is where choosing your own level of grog becomes important. Also, I'd run anything larger than four with a commodore or admiral, and let other players run a couple of ships eaach.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Colonial Air Force posted:

No reason you can't play with your own minis. You shouldn't let yourself miss the opportunity for fun:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=447114787

This is where choosing your own level of grog becomes important. Also, I'd run anything larger than four with a commodore or admiral, and let other players run a couple of ships eaach.

I thought I saw a batrep of SoG a while ago in here. Thanks for the reminder.

The grog in me really wants to escalate to the most advanced rules, but none of us really have the time to game for an entire day any more.

Edit: btw I'm very close to convincing the wife we need an extended weekend stay in Bruges, Belgium. That would mean flying to Brussels first, 30 mins. by train to Waterloo. :gizz:

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 1, 2018

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Anyone know when abouts this new SAGA edition is due out?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

spectralent posted:

Anyone know when abouts this new SAGA edition is due out?

This but also NORTHAG

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Phi230 posted:

This but also NORTHAG

When I spoke to Will last he said "About this time next year. Hopefully.", and that was... October, IIRC? About then.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Southern Heel posted:

Hi guys just to remind I haven't forgotten about the CoC 15mm bundle sale thing I posted a while back and a few of you PM'ed me about - I've just moved house so sorting that out over the last 2-3 weeks.

I loving love Pike and Shotte; it is very much my jam. I see it as a slightly more flavourful version of Kings of War. From my brief dalliance with BP I can say it's very similar. Due to the primitive weapons (claymores, halberds, even longbows, full plate mail and bronze cannons) it's alot more flavourful IMO.

For those on the fence, think of that scene from Zulu when all the redcoats are mowing down the Zulu warriors; except it's both toothless conscript brits press-ganged into fighting for whichever side rolled through their village first. One of my favourite anecdotes is how the Royalist horse was so much vastly superior it was in a position to win the whole war multiple times, but Sir Rupert couldn't keep his cock in his pants and kept chasing down aforementioned rabble completely off the battlefield.

I can wholeheartedly recommend "A Time Traveller's Guide to Reformation Britain" for a snapshot of the period (well, technically a few years after but generally all the same stuff).

In terms of rules, the major difference between P&S and something like KoW/KoWH is the leadership mechanic. Each group of units (simply: small, medium or large - left down to you as to precisely how many bases/mans) has a commander whose command value you need to beat by a certain amount for one, two or three moves, everything can always shoot or fight. You can issue orders to your whole group, or unit by unit (the latter being more flexible but risking disordering your line). You have an overall commander who can issue commands to any unit that hasn't already been ordered, or the whole army (I think!).

That sounds very similar to Black Powder, thanks.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Class Warcraft posted:

That sounds very similar to Black Powder, thanks.

BP, P&S and Hail Caesar are essentially identical. I think P&S is the best of the books, mostly because they learned some lessons from other versions of the game. The big difference is P&S seems intended to work with point-based army lists while they’re kind of an afterthought in Black Powder. The fundamental system is incredibly enjoyable though- I’ve had a couple people play a game without even learning the rules beforehand.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

The problem I have with the Black Powder ruleset is it seems very much designed with large forces in mind. My gaming group tried it with our "babby's first Napoleonic armies" consisting of a couple of battalions each and it didn't work all that well with so few units to maneuver, and the level of abstraction really grated on us the wrong way.

On the other hand, SP2 seems to be perfectly suited for the collections we have so we've switched to that.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I want to get into Hail Caesar in 15mm, but I know almost nothing of the rules and basically plan on building up an army as a fun project before buying the rulebook. How should I base my ancient mans so that eventually they’ll be compatible with HC?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I really like the red scarf on the second from the right. It's such a small detail that really pops.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Geisladisk posted:

I really like the red scarf on the second from the right. It's such a small detail that really pops.

Thanks! I added it as a bit of an afterthought, but red scarfs seems to have been a pretty common thing in the desert. And yeah, a bit of colour really adds to the look, I'll be ordering some metal DAK from Artizan and Black Tree with scarfs to give the platoon even more of a ragtag look.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I'm considering starting a Team Yankee force, since, uniquely for wargames that aren't 40k, it has a active local scene here. However, tank parking lots give me hives. Does TY have any kind of counter-parkinglot mechanic? Can I load up on a bunch of SU-25s or A-10s with AT cluster bombs, or something?

I'm guessing the answer is "not really", because otherwise the parking lots wouldn't be so prevalent...

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Geisladisk posted:

I'm considering starting a Team Yankee force, since, uniquely for wargames that aren't 40k, it has a active local scene here. However, tank parking lots give me hives. Does TY have any kind of counter-parkinglot mechanic? Can I load up on a bunch of SU-25s or A-10s with AT cluster bombs, or something?

I'm guessing the answer is "not really", because otherwise the parking lots wouldn't be so prevalent...

it's not because the parking lots are a good strategy, it's because the command bubbles are so goddamn short. which you really wouldn't think would be a problem with proper radios and stuff in 1985.

In this picture there's 100 points of russians vs 100 points of westgermans. I have 5 Leopard II, 5 Leopard I, 8 Luchs (because why the gently caress not) and 3 jaguar, plus 4 LARS and 2 Gepard. I probably cheated a lot because reading the rules are for nerds.

You can deploy mines and such to constrain enemy tank movements, but there isn't really an area denial AT weapon that i've found.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

Frobbe posted:

it's not because the parking lots are a good strategy, it's because the command bubbles are so goddamn short. which you really wouldn't think would be a problem with proper radios and stuff in 1985.

In this picture there's 100 points of russians vs 100 points of westgermans. I have 5 Leopard II, 5 Leopard I, 8 Luchs (because why the gently caress not) and 3 jaguar, plus 4 LARS and 2 Gepard. I probably cheated a lot because reading the rules are for nerds.

You can deploy mines and such to constrain enemy tank movements, but there isn't really an area denial AT weapon that i've found.

I'm sorry but how the gently caress is this fun? It's just big blocks of tanks and everyone is just waiting for the other to move. It's loving dumb as gently caress that infantry has no loving use against parking lots.

This is why I stopped playing TY (and all battlefront games).

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Just form your tanks into lines and fire a good volley, then charge and give them the bayonets. You like Napoleonics, right? It's basically the same.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

If you want to do that, play 40k mordians, it will cost as much.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

If there was a FFoT3 army builder, there wouldn't be any reason to play TW.

BTW, Northag is going to be closest to what game, as far as rules concerned?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
So it's like hen and chicks but it fucks everyone, not just the soviets?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Northag is probably going to be closer to the other Battlegroup games, which sounds promising.

I'm very much looking forward to using my TY figures in something other than TY.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Battlefront's always made tank games, flames of war was always a tank game, they want you to put lots of tanks on the board, and the spacing kind of makes it so you get parking lots.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
It's so great to post about Team Yankee and every time the same people tell me i'm having fun the wrong way!

The only reason there isn't any infantry in our games is because we've been unable to buy any... I've decided that in order to get infantry what i'll do is get some hueys and USMC. This will give me an excuse to get some Humwees and M60s later because i loving love me some fragile stuff!

Also picked up two Revell 1:144 Tornado jets because i dislike the official model.

The wings move! and they came with these Tigermeet decals which are awesome so my enemies will be strafed by airshow planes for bonus humiliation!

In other news, i'm now into ancients due to a 50% off sale at Frontline hobby http://shop.fow.dk/ (perhaps this is of interest to you other scandinavian wargamers? everything in stock is 50% off, anything not in stock or misstocked will be removed from an order)

Hail Alexander!

Frobbe fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jan 2, 2018

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Can you recommend any good TY battlereports that explain a little bit what is going on ruleswise?

I'm not hugely bothered by the aesthetics of parking lots, what the table looks like is always an abstraction. I just want to make sure that there is more to the game than parking your line of tanks opposite the other guy's line of tanks and rolling dice until one guy is out of tanks.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

What can I say, parking lots just look horrible, and Battlefront is #1 producer of said parking lots.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Battlefront seems to think that tanks were used in the same way they were in Fury - line them up and drive straight at whatever it is you are attacking. Watching as your mates blow up left and right in their Ronsons.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Geisladisk posted:

Can you recommend any good TY battlereports that explain a little bit what is going on ruleswise?

I'm not hugely bothered by the aesthetics of parking lots, what the table looks like is always an abstraction. I just want to make sure that there is more to the game than parking your line of tanks opposite the other guy's line of tanks and rolling dice until one guy is out of tanks.

Beasts of war have a good series of videos with the guys from Battlefront doing small intro games and large games. If you've tried Flames of War V4 there's not much different, ruleswise. What's really important is to make sure you're always playing a scenario or mission. BF have posted many free ones and there's some basic ones in the TY rulebook. They really make sure you aren't just two forces shooting at each other across a field. Terrain helps a ton too!

JcDent posted:

What can I say, parking lots just look horrible, and Battlefront is #1 producer of said parking lots.

Why do you feel the need to repeat this every single time a battlefront game is being talked about?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Supposedly, tanks are generally overpriced as heck. Atgm spam from British Milans and BMP2 spam is the name of the game.

I just like the model range, tbh.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Frobbe posted:

It's so great to post about Team Yankee and every time the same people tell me i'm having fun the wrong way!

Oops, I was just trying to say I'm stoked for Northag. I have a friend who's also been collecting TY stuff, loves counting ammo, and Northag is shaping up to be exactly what we wanted when we bought our TY stuff.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

moths posted:

Oops, I was just trying to say I'm stoked for Northag. I have a friend who's also been collecting TY stuff, loves counting ammo, and Northag is shaping up to be exactly what we wanted when we bought our TY stuff.

having played a single game of WWII battlegroup, i'm looking forward to NORTHAG because they really do like all the non combat stuff in those games. Logistics is fun too!

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Shake once.

Frobbe posted:

The only reason there isn't any infantry in our games is because we've been unable to buy any... I've decided that in order to get infantry what i'll do is get some hueys and USMC. This will give me an excuse to get some Humwees and M60s later because i loving love me some fragile stuff!

Hey <3 you're not wrong having fun. I just am bitter with TY and what it could have been - if this works for you then go ahead and have a loving blast! No hard feelings here - just the pain all grognards have.

Frobbe posted:

In other news, i'm now into ancients due to a 50% off sale at Frontline hobby http://shop.fow.dk/ (perhaps this is of interest to you other scandinavian wargamers? everything in stock is 50% off, anything not in stock or misstocked will be removed from an order)

Hail Alexander!

Eerm, do they take orders outside of Denmark? Cause this is loving a whole army for 30 euro and that poo poo is amazing!!

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Commissar Kip posted:

Hey <3 you're not wrong having fun. I just am bitter with TY and what it could have been - if this works for you then go ahead and have a loving blast! No hard feelings here - just the pain all grognards have.

Eerm, do they take orders outside of Denmark? Cause this is loving a whole army for 30 euro and that poo poo is amazing!!

Sweden and norway are on the countries list when ordering. You might have luck emailing them and asking about international shipping if outside of that area. Perhaps suggest they ship via https://coolrunner.dk/ as that's the cheapest way to send packages from Denmark to the rest of europe. the store's a hobby project deal so they're pretty chill but also sometimes slow.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Shake once.

Frobbe posted:

Sweden and norway are on the countries list when ordering. You might have luck emailing them and asking about international shipping if outside of that area. Perhaps suggest they ship via https://coolrunner.dk/ as that's the cheapest way to send packages from Denmark to the rest of europe. the store's a hobby project deal so they're pretty chill but also sometimes slow.

I've sent them an email! Thanks!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Stoked for Northtag, even when I fully know I'll never get to play it.

Checked TTS, no Cold War soviet models in there.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Frobbe posted:

Just asked them and they said they don't ship outside of Scandinavia... any chance you'd be willing to ship something along to other countries within the EU? Those deals are pretty great.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Panzeh posted:

Battlefront's always made tank games, flames of war was always a tank game, they want you to put lots of tanks on the board, and the spacing kind of makes it so you get parking lots.

It's worth noting the consensus is that tanks are overpriced and you're better off with the various mechanised lists. A brit mech platoon has 2 shots at AT 21, for about the same cost as a NATO MBT, with the added perk that they get a 3+ save against everything. The soviets don't have infantry worth mentioning (largely because TY assault is anemic and even then, the soviets are uniquely terrible at it) but the BMP-2 is dirt cheap and given every other vehicle in TY explodes too quickly for how much it costs, the fact they're less than a point each makes them worth it. The difference between a BMP-2 getting no save against a gun and a T-72 glancing on a 6 is minimal. Likewise, the best DDR lists are dirt-cheap tanks; either the T-55 (in numbers) or the T-72M (in multiple small units), on the basis you're not saving anything, anyway, so why bother worrying about protection when you can buy more replacements? Hilariously both these issues stem from TY being usual NATO power fantasy stuff (or at least based on it); Soviet armour is so terrible it's irrelevant and their skill is so bad there's no point going for anything other than numbers, while NATO MBTs are so amazing they tend to suffer from the veteran panther problem where you're putting far too many eggs in one basket and lose the game if the enemy rolls a few lucky sixes early on.

I can go into more detail later, but to say I've gone off the game is an understatement. Very much looking forward to NORTHAG though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
What makes you think NORTHAG will avoid these pitfalls?