Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Plavski posted:

All I know about it is from the RMR video. As a native guitarist, I was interested for a few minutes, but then figured why get that when I can continue saving for a Linnstrument? Maybe the Artiphon will appeal to me in a few revisions time, but right now it looks plasticy and the strum buttons look poor. 400 bucks is also a lot to pay for that sort of toy, and there is quality and expressiveness out the wazoo with the Linnstrument.

Maybe so. I never know quite what to make of the Linnstrument, I get that it's appealing on paper but having never seen one in the wild, I'm not sure it would click with me at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

MockingQuantum posted:

Maybe so. I never know quite what to make of the Linnstrument, I get that it's appealing on paper but having never seen one in the wild, I'm not sure it would click with me at all.

From everything I've seen and heard, it's basically the Push note system on steroids. And as I use the Push 2 as my musical interface to everything, it makes the Linnstrument my end goal.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

MockingQuantum posted:

Linnstrument is a great doohickey. Got to mess with one (with Roger Linn!) at Sweetwater's GearFest a couple years back. A friend of mine who at the time played neither keys nor guitar picked it up right away.

The pads themselves are a little softer than MPC pads in order to give some better 3D response, but it feels pretty natural to play, and it's helped a lot by having several different note/scale layouts beyond the primary one (which is the standard guitar tuning of 4ths per row). Given a choice between it and the Roli line, I'd take a Linnstrument every time. It's just way down the list compared to most other hardware in my GAS list.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Plavski posted:

From everything I've seen and heard, it's basically the Push note system on steroids. And as I use the Push 2 as my musical interface to everything, it makes the Linnstrument my end goal.

Ahh that's interesting to know. Honestly I have a Push 2 that I haven't really gotten my head around yet, so all of this is sort of GAS-dreaming anyway. I just know I have more set aside for my little home studio build than I'll actually end up spending so I'm daydreaming about better input methods since I don't really like keyboards all that much.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

you could just build a eurorack, op :getin:
the synth thread was so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should. :thunk:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I figured I would cross-post from the Effects & Chain Recommendation Thread for any fellow Minilogue owners out there. I recently purchased a Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal to connect to my TR-8 for some distorted 808 madness. Needless to say I was having a loving blast and having no impulse control whatsoever, I immediately thought about adding some pedals to my Minilogue to help beef up the sound a bit. I landed on two more Boss Pedals, the Super Chorus CH-1 and the Reverb RV-6. After playing around with these and the Mini for only a couple hours, I feel like these effects have really opened this synth up and I am getting some super lush pads and leads. I can't wait to keep fiddling with the different reverb types and chorus types more as I know I have just scratched the surface. If anyone is looking to squeeze some extra juice out of the Mini, I would highly recommend these. I know I could just use Reverb/Chorus in the box, but if I am already crafting sound on the Mini with knobs, I want to do the same with the effects for the most part. I also tend to run short on CPU quite a bit and this saves me some in the early stages.

Would be interested to hear other's experiences using pedals with the Minilogue or TR-8.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Here's my synth pedal board:

The RV-5 is a good reverb but it lacks those super lush and long options that go really well with synths.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Dyna Soar posted:

The RV-5 is a good reverb but it lacks those super lush and long options that go really well with synths.

check out the polara

digitech makes great low cost reverbs since their parent company also owns eventide which makes loving amazing ones that are sold for strymon prices

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I’m assuming you’re already using the sidechain inputs for the TR-8, right? If not, definitely play around with the settings there for some nice rhythmic effects. If you hold ‘depth’ while pressing ‘on’ for Scatter, the TR-8 will hold the scatter effect until the end of that bar.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Know Such Peace posted:

I’m assuming you’re already using the sidechain inputs for the TR-8, right? If not, definitely play around with the settings there for some nice rhythmic effects. If you hold ‘depth’ while pressing ‘on’ for Scatter, the TR-8 will hold the scatter effect until the end of that bar.

I have barely scratched the surface of what the TR-8 can do so no I don't believe I am using the sidechain inputs for the TR-8. The way I have it set up is the simple way of just taking my mono out on the TR-8 into the OS-2 and then out and into my Scarlett 18i8. I read that you can use the Assignable Out or External In with the pedal but wasn't able to get this to work quickly and I wanted to play around with it.

Dyna Soar posted:

That's an awesome board dude! I have only played around with the RV-6 for a couple hours at most but felt like I could get some lush tones from it, but my definition of lush might be different than yours. One thing I was curious about is that before I got the Chorus/Reverb pedals, I was running my Minilogue via its Mono Out into the Scarlett 18i8. Now I have the pedals in between the Mini and the Interface but it is still a mono signal. Both pedals have stereo output options and I was wondering if there was any reason to make use of these? I guess I could see a use if I was recording the wet signal only, but splitting the Minilogue from a mono to stereo sounds like a bad idea.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 3, 2018

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Gringostar posted:

check out the polara

digitech makes great low cost reverbs since their parent company also owns eventide which makes loving amazing ones that are sold for strymon prices

what about the zoom ms 50 and 70? got that sweet strymon modelling plus over a hundred extra pieces. a one stop shop!

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

MrSargent posted:

I have barely scratched the surface of what the TR-8 can do so no I don't believe I am using the sidechain inputs for the TR-8. The way I have it set up is the simple way of just taking my mono out on the TR-8 into the OS-2 and then out and into my Scarlett 18i8. I read that you can use the Assignable Out or External In with the pedal but wasn't able to get this to work quickly and I wanted to play around with it.

That's an awesome board dude! I have only played around with the RV-6 for a couple hours at most but felt like I could get some lush tones from it, but my definition of lush might be different than yours. One thing I was curious about is that before I got the Chorus/Reverb pedals, I was running my Minilogue via its Mono Out into the Scarlett 18i8. Now I have the pedals in between the Mini and the Interface but it is still a mono signal. Both pedals have stereo output options and I was wondering if there was any reason to make use of these? I guess I could see a use if I was recording the wet signal only, but splitting the Minilogue from a mono to stereo sounds like a bad idea.

Run them in stereo. It will make a huge huge difference. Only problem is that you’ll never want to go back. Long attack pads with chorus and a large verb are super fun.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Do you run the main outputs of the TR-8 to your interface in stereo? If so, you can just plug the stereo pedals directly into the external input on the TR-8. Control the volume of the minilogue+effects with the 'external in - level' knob.

The step button and sidechain knob applies rhythmic effects to just the external input and not the drums. If you press the 'external in - step' button and then press the 'drum select - inst' button, you'll be able to pick from eight different types of sidechain/gate effects. I remember liking either setting 5 or 6 for synth pads.

The Scatter section applies stutter effects to both the drums and the external input. Pick the type of scatter effect from the main screen and then press the 'depth' button to select how dramatic the effect will be. The scatter effect sounded kind of non-musical to me when I first got the TR-8, but I liked it a lot more when used in conjunction with an external input. It ends up sounding less like a weird malfunction and more like a dj-style beat repeat.

For some odd reason, you can not apply the internal reverb or delay to the external input.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I have been running the TR-8 and Minilogue in Mono right now since I am pretty much out of inputs on my 18i8. Since the Minilogue only has a Mono output, what would I need to get to split the signal? Would it sound weird passing a Mono Signal from the Minilogue to the Chorus/Reverb and outputting Stereo? Also, I thought it was generally good practice to record drums from the TR-8 in Mono but maybe that's not as true as I thought? The OS-2 is a mono pedal so that actually works just fine with my current TR-8 setup.

I guess now is a good time to ask what would be a good rack-mount device to pair with the 18i8 for extra inputs?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

MrSargent posted:

I have been running the TR-8 and Minilogue in Mono right now since I am pretty much out of inputs on my 18i8. Since the Minilogue only has a Mono output, what would I need to get to split the signal? Would it sound weird passing a Mono Signal from the Minilogue to the Chorus/Reverb and outputting Stereo? Also, I thought it was generally good practice to record drums from the TR-8 in Mono but maybe that's not as true as I thought? The OS-2 is a mono pedal so that actually works just fine with my current TR-8 setup.

I guess now is a good time to ask what would be a good rack-mount device to pair with the 18i8 for extra inputs?

I mean the option that springs to mind is either the Focusrite Scarlett or Clarett Octopre, but really any rackmount preamp box with an ADAT out would get you 8 more channels. Otherwise you're probably looking at a mixer that you route into the inputs on the 18i8.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

MockingQuantum posted:

I mean the option that springs to mind is either the Focusrite Scarlett or Clarett Octopre, but really any rackmount preamp box with an ADAT out would get you 8 more channels. Otherwise you're probably looking at a mixer that you route into the inputs on the 18i8.

The Scarlett Octopre looks pretty solid but man...I really wasn't looking to spend another $400 on a preamp so soon.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
If you run both in mono, you could also run both in stereo by using the TR-8's inputs. The TR-8 would double as a micro-mixer. That said, you wouldn't be able to include the distortion pedal at the end of the chain in this setup. You could push kicks/snares/whatever you want to distort through one of the assignable outs, but it sounds like you'd be short one input on your audio interface.

Hihats and percussion elements are sometimes spread across the stereo field. Kicks and snares rarely leave the center. It can be fun to mess with panning, especially when you've got the reverb/delay maxed out.

Have you tried sending the audio from the TR-8 over USB? I know the drivers were a little wonky when it first came out, but audio over USB might free up enough space on your audio interface.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I haven't tried sending audio from my TR-8 over USB and to be honest, I am not even sure how I would set that up in Ableton. I have only used USB for MIDI but never for audio and don't know how to set up the TR-8 USB Audio on an Audio Track.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I have an Ottobit and a Polymoon from Meris and I absolutely love them in my synth setup.

I was thinking about adding the Mercury 7 but something in me tells me it's just GAS and it won't really add much that I can't already do with the Polymoon. Also I already own a cheaper reverb with the HoF 2 which is fine (especially with the tone print editor) but maybe lacks some control.

Please thread tell me if getting a Mercury 7 is a bad idea

e: bonus question I'm trying to send my midi clock from the SE-02 to both the Meris pedals which use TRS midi input.

Will this work? Midi to 3.5 TRS jack and 3.5 to 6.35 splitter ? Thanks!

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jan 3, 2018

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Gringostar posted:

check out the polara

more like buchla prices, have you priced a harmonizer l8ly fam

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I have an Ottobit and a Polymoon from Meris and I absolutely love them in my synth setup.

I was thinking about adding the Mercury 7 but something in me tells me it's just GAS and it won't really add much that I can't already do with the Polymoon. Also I already own a cheaper reverb with the HoF 2 which is fine (especially with the tone print editor) but maybe lacks some control.

Please thread tell me if getting a Mercury 7 is a bad idea

e: bonus question I'm trying to send my midi clock from the SE-02 to both the Meris pedals which use TRS midi input.

Will this work? Midi to 3.5 TRS jack and 3.5 to 6.35 splitter ? Thanks!

Man I’ve been jonesing to rip apart my pedalboard and throw my drum machine through my Ottobit and my polymoon through my Juno to see how awesome they sound.

I went through the same predicament with the mercury 7, but decided against it. Already have a couple other bit reverb boxes so couldn’t bring myself to pull the trigger. I’m sure it’s amazing though.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Gringostar posted:

check out the polara

Thanks, i'll check it out. I'm happy with the RV-6 (typoed it earlier, the screen on my iPhone SE is way too small), so I'm in really no hurry to get a new one. I just kinda wish it'd have a bit longer decay.

MrSargent posted:

That's an awesome board dude! I have only played around with the RV-6 for a couple hours at most but felt like I could get some lush tones from it, but my definition of lush might be different than yours.

Yeah I mean it's a great (and lush sounding) pedal, it's just that the decay is a bit short. It's better for guitar than synth I'd say.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Thorpe posted:

Man I’ve been jonesing to rip apart my pedalboard and throw my drum machine through my Ottobit and my polymoon through my Juno to see how awesome they sound.

The sequencer on the Ottobit is super fun and I'm just starting to learn to use it with my synths to create crazy chiptunesque sequences. I just really really need to find a way to sync it with the midi clock to make it perfect.

Yeah I feel the same about their reverb. When I hear it I really want to buy it but I feel like like I'm already fully covered in the shimmer section with the other stuff I have. I feel like less is more and that it will be too much in the mix. But really, just listen to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsXkMHnKMJM

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

The sequencer on the Ottobit is super fun and I'm just starting to learn to use it with my synths to create crazy chiptunesque sequences. I just really really need to find a way to sync it with the midi clock to make it perfect.

Yeah I feel the same about their reverb. When I hear it I really want to buy it but I feel like like I'm already fully covered in the shimmer section with the other stuff I have. I feel like less is more and that it will be too much in the mix. But really, just listen to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsXkMHnKMJM

This is a bit more expensive than a cable, but it would work for you for both the Ottobit and polymoon.

http://www.disasterareaamps.com/shop/midibox

I use their midi pedalboard control DMC-8 which pretty much has that box in it and it controls the pedals pretty well, and control different presets.

The mercury 7 definitely sounds good though.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Thorpe posted:

I use their midi pedalboard control DMC-8 which pretty much has that box in it and it controls the pedals pretty well, and control different presets.

That looks like it'll work but really I only plan to send the midi clock signal so this might be a bit of an overkill? The cables were really cheap I'll just try that way and report back.

I mostly wondered if splitting the TRS signal into 2 TS will still work.

Thanks for the suggestion though

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I mostly wondered if splitting the TRS signal into 2 TS will still work.
It won't.

A splitter cable going from trs to two trs ends might work, I don't know.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Flipperwaldt posted:

It won't.

A splitter cable going from trs to two trs ends might work, I don't know.

Looks like you are right, I just saw some schematics of the Midi to jack connectors

Thanks I'll try to find another way to split the signal

e: I just remember I have an unused Belkin Rockstar and it looks it might just work!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZABPk5lds68

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jan 3, 2018

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Plavski posted:

what about the zoom ms 50 and 70? got that sweet strymon modelling plus over a hundred extra pieces. a one stop shop!

I did this with a 50 for my mono gear, and immediately got the BT100 for my stereo stuff. Didn’t see it anywhere else but, if you can get over the ten second load per pedal, all the extra pedal and amp emulations in the app are free at this point.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I've seen a few videos of the Korg Volca FM and I loved the sounds it produced. I know I need these sounds in my life, but, knowing nothing about FM synths other than these Volca FM videos I've seen, I'm wondering if there are other options out there that are better.

I understand the Volca line is pretty inexpensive, so I'm not that worried about spending more on another FM synth if it was worth it.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
If you have an iPad, there is a free app called "FM Player".

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
I do not.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Start with Dexed, work your way up.

https://asb2m10.github.io/dexed/

:getin:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

The Arturia DX7-V is a totally faithful recreation of the DX7 if you want to go software only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZRZfIA8rF4

Other than that, the Yamaha Reface DX is a very good synth for pure FM goodness and more directly playable than the Volca.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/synthesizers/reface/dx/index.html

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Start with Dexed, download endless piles of DX7 presets, never ever acquire any insight in how FM synthesis works and fail to care.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

Start with Dexed, download endless piles of DX7 presets, never ever acquire any insight in how FM synthesis works and fail to care.

I wish this wasn't true but it totally is. I was so dedicated to learn FM synthesis as well as any other form I know my way around, but the time investment to really know what you're doing quickly feels less worth it when you realize somebody else has been programming hundreds of patches, better than you ever could, for decades.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I like FM8's layout a lot, its pretty visual when you are making the operators affect each other. I still have no idea what I'm doing but at least I have a visual representation of that.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I would honestly like to try and stay away from software simply because I find knobs and stuff just way more fun to use. Although, I guess I can still use knobs and keys and stuff with a MIDI keyboard? I don't have one of those either. Right now, all I have is an Arturia Minibrute, an Arturia SparkLE, a Scarlet 2i4 and a pair of monitor speakers. My goal is to get a setup that I can use to easily jam with myself and have fun making humble music.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Koth posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I would honestly like to try and stay away from software simply because I find knobs and stuff just way more fun to use. Although, I guess I can still use knobs and keys and stuff with a MIDI keyboard? I don't have one of those either. Right now, all I have is an Arturia Minibrute, an Arturia SparkLE, a Scarlet 2i4 and a pair of monitor speakers. My goal is to get a setup that I can use to easily jam with myself and have fun making humble music.

Finding knobs fun to use is kind of all the more reason not to bother with FM hardware. Even knobbier FM synths are usually 90% menu diving.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005

MockingQuantum posted:

Finding knobs fun to use is kind of all the more reason not to bother with FM hardware. Even knobbier FM synths are usually 90% menu diving.

Will a software FM synth give me a lot more customisation and options than the Volca FM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Koth posted:

Will a software FM synth give me a lot more customisation and options than the Volca FM?

Yes, massively.