Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
More War For The Overworld gripes, some of which are based in being a copy of Dungeon Keeper:

- Ever since I decided to burn my giftcard money on some of the DLC and expansion stuff, the game refuses to fully close. I mean, it closes fine, and I don't see anything in Task Manager, but Steam will refuse to acknowledge that I'm out of the game. I have to close Steam and reload it just so I can play again.

- Variety is the spice of life, I guess, but for gently caress's sake just give me maps with enough dirt to make 5x5 rooms with a single corridor interlinking those rooms. Don't give me maps where thanks to explosive trickery and map design, I've got all these open-walled rooms all over the place. I know, it's my internal sperg at play here, but stop it. The same goes for the inevitable "You don't have gateways in this map! Find all the units you need!" missions!

- Combat in WFTO/DK2 has always kinda sucked, just because of how hands-off it can be. I want you to attack up to here, and then go back home. Don't chase down random enemies or doors you can see. I can make imps (you know, the mindless digger folks) not go farther than a point, but not my supposedly-intelligent 'minions'. This is a little better in DK2 because you could always just pick up your entire force and plop them where you want (I think?) but you're limited in WFTO in that respect.

- Related to the above, for gently caress's sake, make it so that your units don't have their emotional status drop during combat. The kinda-like-Dungeon-Keeper game Dungeons 2 does this really cleverly: your orcs need to drink beer to be happy, but once you send them out of the dungeon they don't get thirsty anymore because that gets in the way of the poo poo I'm on the surface in the first place. Let a goblin get unhappy because I didn't have money for payday, not because it's in combat and I'm not letting it get its money for a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Samuringa posted:

I cleared Palace 4 in three or four days. Futaba slept for almost a month and everyone just shrugged and gave up.

Palace 5, on the other hand, actually improves if you finish it early. You know, thanks to the way it's introduced in the interrogation and how the end cutscene plays out, that Okumura's hosed. But nobody in the game knows that, so you just have to stew in your own dread about what's coming while everyone reassures each other.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Quote-Unquote posted:

"This is how he sees the school. It's his castle."
"Are you for real?!"
"Yes. He has power at the school, so in his mind it's his castle."
"That's crazy. Woah wait, are we in... the school?!"
"Yes, you see the school and the castle are the same thing."
"What?!"
"The castle is a projection of how he sees the school!"
"Those look just like the kids in school!"
"Yes, because the castle is just his projection of the school"
"Are you for real?!"
"So our plan is to stop him in the castle and steal his treasure, and that will affect him in the school"
"How?"
"You see, the castle is just his projection of the school. If we change one, we change the other!"
"Are you for real?!"

Repeated many, many times with Ryuji, and then a few times more with Ann just in case you were still not sure what was going on.

Would you say it is some kind of grindy and mechanical thing, like a Metal Gear?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Der Kyhe posted:

Would you say it is some kind of grindy and mechanical thing, like a Metal Gear?

A metal gear!?!

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
So I got Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain for Xmas.

I have made my peace with:
A horribly slow opening that put me to sleep.
Ridiculous slow transitions in and out of helicopters.
Stupid pointless online connectivity.

HOWEVER! After you extract the puppy version of D-Dog he will greet you when you return to Mother Base. He's adorable, and barks and follows you and jumps up at you for attention. This is amazing, and I love it, except... :siren: YOU CANNOT PET THE PUPPY! :siren: There is NO prompt to pet D-Dog, no way to interact with him! He's so lonely and just wants pets and I can't pet him and it is killing me.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

You can pet him when he's old enough to join you in the field.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Inspector Gesicht posted:

You can pet him when he's old enough to join you in the field.

And you should do this because - even though you more or less can commit war crimes on a whim - you are not a terrible person.

EDIT: MGSV is definitely a slow starter, and the first "real" mission where you encounter the bug forces is a major pain in the rear end with the early gear. I suggest on investing on a rocket launcher (the first unlockable soviet-style PoC will do) and on a silenced pair of sniper and assault rifles as a first priority.

Also, always upgrade Fulton whenever possible, and priorize upgrading Motherbase unless you really need some new piece of gear. And finally, always Fulton everything, including the lovely D/C-grade soldiers until you have all teams maxed out on members.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 16:38 on Jan 2, 2018

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Got Final Fantasy 12: The Zodiac Age for xmas, and hooooooly poo poo is that game ever tedious.
Combat is all about setting up your party to do their own thing, and then watching them do it, which often takes a very long time. It's even got a built in 2x (or 4x) acceleration mode you can activate at any time with the L1 button, and the world is still so vast and empty that it still feels like everything takes forever.

And on top of that the plot is like, 70% political intrigue and 30% getting captured, again. You seriously get captured like four times in the first 10-15 hours of plot. Not the strongest entry.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Xenoblade 2:

oh poo poo a legendary bla-oh it's a lovely little girl that cries and shoots thunder.
oh poo poo another legendary blade aaaaand it's an annoying bird girl where the joke is that she is very forgetful
ok what's this one gonna be, oh it's an awful earth blade who pretends to be sweet but is actually evil or something gently caress off
A BEAR!!! AN ACTUAL BEAR HELL YES-and there's a little girl behind him gently caress you xenoblade 2

this was over the course of roughly five hours of gameplay

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Why, in a movement/dodging based game, would the team behind Just Cause 3 remove the dodge and sprint buttons entirely?

The new jumpsuit is fantastic and exactly what I wanted, but taking out the dodge really reduces your options for getting out of firefights without grappling across the map and sometimes I just want to dive behind a bit of cover for a second to reload rather than be forced to spiderman onto a nearby roof. It's not like there aren't spare buttons you could map for it.

The endless ragdolling in the middle of fights every time somebody sneezes in your direction gets a bit tired too. Considering the whole playstyle is geared towards constant and fluid movement I don't see why they would put in such an awkward and slow recovery from getting ragdolled.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The 90s adventure game Titanic: Adventure out of Time just got rereleased and one of its biggest selling points is it being an almost prefectly accurate rendition of the ship, which is still pretty impressive. However, the actual sinking of the Titanic is completely wrong where instead of breaking in half and sinking it just kind of bellyflops and rolls over. It came out a year before the James Cameron movie but even then I'm pretty sure we knew how exactly it sank based on the wreckage.

Poulpe posted:

And on top of that the plot is like, 70% political intrigue and 30% getting captured, again. You seriously get captured like four times in the first 10-15 hours of plot. Not the strongest entry.

It's more like 70% Star Wars only Chewbacca is a girl in a chainmail bikini and Luke has nothing to do with the actual plot once he meets Han and Leia.

Guy Mann has a new favorite as of 01:32 on Jan 3, 2018

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

It's more like 70% Star Wars only Chewbacca is a girl in a chainmail bikini and Luke has nothing to do with the actual plot once he meets Han and Leia.

that doesn't sound like star wars at all

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's not that similar to Star Wars except in the cinematography.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ratchet and Clank also stole a bunch of Star Wars shots for its space stuff. Star Wars is super influential.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

spit on my clit posted:

Xenoblade 2:

oh poo poo a legendary bla-oh it's a lovely little girl that cries and shoots thunder.
oh poo poo another legendary blade aaaaand it's an annoying bird girl where the joke is that she is very forgetful
ok what's this one gonna be, oh it's an awful earth blade who pretends to be sweet but is actually evil or something gently caress off
A BEAR!!! AN ACTUAL BEAR HELL YES-and there's a little girl behind him gently caress you xenoblade 2

this was over the course of roughly five hours of gameplay

Good news, there are way worse ones to get and youll also never see them because the gatcha mechanic reduces your odds of getting another rare for each rare you have already gotten.

Also if you start grinding urusala now you might, and thats a might, finish her questline by the end of the game.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Barudak posted:

Good news, there are way worse ones to get

Why?

Barudak posted:

the gatcha mechanic reduces your odds of getting another rare for each rare you have already gotten.

Why?!

Barudak posted:

Also if you start grinding urusala now you might, and thats a might, finish her questline by the end of the game.

WHY?!

gently caress this i already got the big blob guy and he's the best loving healer i've found mainly because you can just break his affinity tree wide open from the get-go, i don't need anything else...unless i get more members than Tora and Nia

Barudak
May 7, 2007

spit on my clit posted:

Why?

Why?!

WHY?!

gently caress this i already got the big blob guy and he's the best loving healer i've found mainly because you can just break his affinity tree wide open from the get-go, i don't need anything else...unless i get more members than Tora and Nia

Xenoblade 2 is basically a rat king made out of time wasting, randomized, and information trap design decisions.

For instance, if youve gotten a single rare blade on Rex that isnt story mandated congrats on having made a bad decision you never saw coming.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
also why did they decide that the only way to upgrade Poppi should be through the worst minigame i've played since air-hockey in Duke Nukem Forever

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The power level/cost of spells in Dungeons & Dragons seems to be totally random. For example, Knock is a 2nd level spell that unlocks a lock. As a level 3 Sorcerer I can cast two 2nd-level spells per day. If locks are meant to be minor inconveniences then making this a 2nd level spell is crazy because 2nd level spell slots are far too valuable to use on that. But if locks are meant to be major impediments then making this a 2nd level spell is crazy because it even works on magic locks and would allow even low-level characters to just blow straight past them.

And half the spells are like that. Either that or they're damage-dealing spells, which are all so subtly different that it's just irritating. This one does 1d10 fire damage and burns things, that one does 1d8 cold damage and slows things down slightly, a third does 1d12 poison damage but is only short range. Like most things in this game, it's just way too complicated. You don't get any benefit from this complexity, it just makes character generation more of a pain and means you're going to have to refer back to the rulebook a lot because no one can ever remember the exact specifics of every one of their spells and abilities.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

The power level/cost of spells in Dungeons & Dragons seems to be totally random. For example, Knock is a 2nd level spell that unlocks a lock. As a level 3 Sorcerer I can cast two 2nd-level spells per day. If locks are meant to be minor inconveniences then making this a 2nd level spell is crazy because 2nd level spell slots are far too valuable to use on that. But if locks are meant to be major impediments then making this a 2nd level spell is crazy because it even works on magic locks and would allow even low-level characters to just blow straight past them.

And half the spells are like that. Either that or they're damage-dealing spells, which are all so subtly different that it's just irritating. This one does 1d10 fire damage and burns things, that one does 1d8 cold damage and slows things down slightly, a third does 1d12 poison damage but is only short range. Like most things in this game, it's just way too complicated. You don't get any benefit from this complexity, it just makes character generation more of a pain and means you're going to have to refer back to the rulebook a lot because no one can ever remember the exact specifics of every one of their spells and abilities.

well good news depending on your edition of dungeons and dragons you've already hosed up by choosing a spell that does damage instead of winning the fight anyway.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's not that similar to Star Wars except in the cinematography.

Honestly, it hits a lot of the general original trilogy plot generalities and character roles. The main difference is that Luke is split up into two people: you've got Vaan as the parts of Luke that make him a good audience proxy especially early in the trilogy (comes from nothing to go be a hero, is a poorly-travelled idiot so he gets stuff explained to him, is important for what he does and not just who he is) and Basch as the more superficial parts of Luke that people actually think of when you think about Luke especially later in the trilogy and especially in the EU (badass well-regarded warrior, connection to a heavily present but not ultimate antagonist, and if we count TFA/TLJ some decent facial hair).

When you get into the specifics it's not exact; there's not really a comfortable Obi-Wan figure, Star Wars has no real parallel for Cid, and you're going to struggle to neatly map locational parallels other than Rabanastre = Tatooine and various Imperial airships = the Empire's various big scary space installations. But people aren't pointing out absolutely nothing when they say that FFXII's story is Star Wars.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 09:32 on Jan 3, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Elfgames posted:

well good news depending on your edition of dungeons and dragons you've already hosed up by choosing a spell that does damage instead of winning the fight anyway.

5th Edition. And if there's some way to make these spells overpowered then I'm not seeing it at all, because every spell and ability all the way up to level twenty seems distinctly underwhelming to me.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Tiggum posted:

It's a utility spell in a role playing game. Rogues can't pick magical locks so they either need knock or the key.

And the best second level spells are the utility spells. Web, Hold Person, Enlarge/Reduce are all far superior spells to the damaging spells because 1st level and cantrips already have decent damaging spells that improve as you level up and 3rd level spells are often your meat and potato damaging spells. Stuff like Scorching Ray and Aganazzar’s Scorcher drop off pretty quickly when you either have a massive swarm of magic missiles that never miss and in older games would often get through magic resistance.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Testekill posted:

It's a utility spell in a role playing game.
From the way you're emphasising that you seem to be implying something but I have no idea what. I've played lots of role playing games and Dungeons & Dragons is pretty unique among them in how underwhelming and situational its spells and abilities are. With most games the problem with creating a character or levelling up is that there are too many cool options to pick from. With D&D it seems to be trying to figure out which options are actually going to be of any use at all.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
DnD is basically the McDonald's of roleplaying games. It has name recognition and is good for a general audience but youre probably going to want to switch to a game more your speed evantually, even amongst the fantasy genre. My group switched to shadow of the demon lord because it fit the low fantasy gothic horror our DM likes. It has much fewer spells but theyre much more distinct. It owns.

Cleretic posted:

When you get into the specifics it's not exact; there's not really a comfortable Obi-Wan figure,
Tbh I thought Basch fit that role perfectly. He's a disgraced knight who tries to help the princess regain her throne.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

DnD is basically the McDonald's of roleplaying games. It has name recognition and is good for a general audience but youre probably going to want to switch to a game more your speed evantually, even amongst the fantasy genre.

You probably did not mean it this way, but I cannot but reading this in tone of some edgelord berating newbie boardgamers at a meeting for wanting to play some nice Catan or Space Trucker instead of this Thru The Ages with this Polish-only expansion pack.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Der Kyhe posted:

You probably did not mean it this way, but I cannot but reading this in tone of some edgelord berating newbie boardgamers at a meeting for wanting to play some nice Catan or Space Trucker instead of this Thru The Ages with this Polish-only expansion pack.

Naw not really. Im not disparaging DnD, it serves as a great entry point for the hobby. Its a hobby thats incredibly difficult to get the people you need to play and having a game with recognition that a non geek would say "oh yeah I know that game" is really vital for getting new blood.

Its just that DnD is a very generic sort of system and theres tons of options to play more specific types of games that will appeal to your group. But if your group likes dnd there's nothing wrong with that too!

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Poulpe posted:

Got Final Fantasy 12: The Zodiac Age for xmas, and hooooooly poo poo is that game ever tedious.
Combat is all about setting up your party to do their own thing, and then watching them do it, which often takes a very long time. It's even got a built in 2x (or 4x) acceleration mode you can activate at any time with the L1 button, and the world is still so vast and empty that it still feels like everything takes forever.

Don't forget the rock collecting. It's more like 40-30-30 on political intrigue, picking up magic rocks and getting captured. Or closer to 0-50-50 if you count the scenes the player characters are actually involved and present in. Had the same issue with Tactics. In theory there's this interesting medieval politics/war story going on, except it happens almost completely in the background while you are playing the B-plot. Because collecting magic rocks is a way easier concept to turn into a video game.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

Naw not really. Im not disparaging DnD, it serves as a great entry point for the hobby. Its a hobby thats incredibly difficult to get the people you need to play and having a game with recognition that a non geek would say "oh yeah I know that game" is really vital for getting new blood.

Its just that DnD is a very generic sort of system and theres tons of options to play more specific types of games that will appeal to your group. But if your group likes dnd there's nothing wrong with that too!

One issue is that, as far as RPGs can go, DnD actually leans somewhat to the fairly dense and complex side of things. I still remember digging through all the stuff that makes up 3.5, needing quite some time to get my head around all the various rules and calculations even just to play a fairly simple base-line character, not to speak of the host of options in all the available splatbooks. After that game I found a new group who played a different system called One Ring, the GM explained the mechanics and chargen to me in just about ten minutes, and my first reaction was "Holy poo poo, it can be that simple?!".

Mind, that's not to say that denser systems are inherently bad. We've had a lot of fun with some stupidly crunchy systems since then. But it can be a bit daunting when you're trying to break into the hobby, and the system that's usually mentioned as the simple, straightforward baseline is actually, well, none of those things.*

*Of course, there's always the 4th edition which had a much tighter design philosophy, but that's a whole different :can: :v:

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Started Yakuza 0 over the break. My first Yakuza game.

It's fun, if a bit repetitive. The story is entertaining so far.

The Quality of Life in the game is pretty miserable, however:

- if you walk within 5 feet of an area you can't go into, you have to spend 3-4 seconds walking in molasses until you can reverse direction.
- I've heard people talk about "fighting the camera" in other games, but never really registered what that was like until THIS game. The camera is loving AWFUL.
- whenever you are in a fight to learn a new skill, the gold box containing the instructions is HUGE and in the loving way. It also stays there the whole time instead of fading away when the final instruction is just "Beat this guy using what you just learned"
- the bowling minigame is perhaps the most obtuse bowling game I have ever encountered. The ball aiming part in particular.
- the prompt to interact with things: enter a shop, talk to someone, look at something displays just outside my peripheral vision and kind of blends in with the background, palette-wise. Why it couldn't be a small overlay in the center of the screen is beyond me. I am trying to pick up the habit of glancing at the top right corner of the screen, but it's a slow process.
- all the weird inconsistency about fast forwarding dialog and what's actually a cutscene vs what's just a conversation you can X your way through. I read English very quickly. I don't speak Japanese at all. Sometimes I can skip, other times I can't. Sometimes in non-cutscene parts the prompt to skip to the next line takes a couple of seconds to actually appear. It doesn't seem to be dependent on the length of the lines being spoken either.
- I understand that it's a lot of effort to record voice acting for EVERY little line in the game, but it's jarring to go from full VA to "*grunt* *silence for 5 lines of dialog*" "*girly laugh* *silence for 5 lines*" - sometimes in the SAME interaction.

All those are pretty minor and not really related to the main gameplay which is just beating down fools, but they do add up to me having almost zero interest in exploring the game world, which to me is one of the major perks of open world games. If I stumble across a side quest, I will do it, but I haven't bothered with any of the friendship stuff or most of the minigame stuff.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

Naw not really. Im not disparaging DnD, it serves as a great entry point for the hobby.
I would argue that it actually doesn't serve that purpose at all. I've played a bunch of other RPGs and compared with them D&D is overly complicated, and even among the generic sword and sorcery settings it's pretty bland. It's also really jargony and requires a whole handful of oddly-shaped dice. All it has going for it is name recognition, and I think that probably just makes people assume that it's representative of the genre as a whole and puts them off trying anything else.

I played 4th edition once, and from what I remember of it it seemed to be a lot better, but apparently no one liked it. :shrug:

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I hate the Batmobile in Arkham Knight. I hate it. I hate the boring tank-fights, I hate the infuriating racing, I hate the lock-on that resets if you pass by a street light I hate fleeing the rock-crusher from Total Recall where one wrong move means a minute loading screen. I hate that I hate it.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Tiggum posted:

I would argue that it actually doesn't serve that purpose at all. I've played a bunch of other RPGs and compared with them D&D is overly complicated, and even among the generic sword and sorcery settings it's pretty bland. It's also really jargony and requires a whole handful of oddly-shaped dice. All it has going for it is name recognition, and I think that probably just makes people assume that it's representative of the genre as a whole and puts them off trying anything else.

I played 4th edition once, and from what I remember of it it seemed to be a lot better, but apparently no one liked it. :shrug:

The issue with 4th edition isn't that it was bad, it's that it wasn't what existing D&D players wanted. The kind of person who had been playing 3.5 for years is the kind of person who likes the overly dense rules and the jargon and the complication. They think that makes it deep.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Tiggum posted:

4e was a genuinely good step forward that tried to excise some of the issues that d&d had built up from past editions and leaned in on the game's original strength of tactical dungeon diving with some neat new game design ideas

so naturally the fanbase completely loving hated it and decried it as a souless WoW-clone and 5e ended up being a complete about-face back to garbage-rear end 3.5 to cater to those idiots

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Tiggum posted:

The problem people had with 4th edition was that it wasn't 3.5 edition and either spellcasters weren't gods amongst the "common classes" (ie: non-spellcasters) or that the non-spellcaster classes got special abilities, thus spellcasters no longer felt like they were special (ie: "The warlord yells at people and it heals them? Then what's the point of playing a cleric?"). I personally really enjoyed 4th edition, because combat was always entertaining and not just "I swing my sword. Oh, I miss. I'm going for a walk while the wizard decides what spell he's going to cast to auto-win the fight".

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tiggum posted:

5th Edition. And if there's some way to make these spells overpowered then I'm not seeing it at all, because every spell and ability all the way up to level twenty seems distinctly underwhelming to me.

Take a look at sleep for example. While it drops off in utility somewhat quickly in 5th compared to what it did in 3.5, its a first level spell that at level one just basically ends an encounter with the enemy completely unable to do anything about it. The wizard is chock full of spells like this and especially when you start getting to 6th level spells it becomes a real question of what in the hell anyone else at your table is even doing.

For example with that Knock spll, notice that it flatout bypasses an entire gameplay mechanic and the class theoretically designed to specialize in dealing with that mechanic does not have that ability. This is the joy of putting “wizard” down on your character sheet in 3rd or 5th DnD; you have the option at all times to take over the narrative with no chance of failure.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Drunken Baker posted:

I hate the Batmobile in Arkham Knight. I hate it. I hate the boring tank-fights, I hate the infuriating racing, I hate the lock-on that resets if you pass by a street light I hate fleeing the rock-crusher from Total Recall where one wrong move means a minute loading screen. I hate that I hate it.

Anything to do with driving the thing was the worst part, for me. The thing just wasn't smooth to drive at all. That goes for Riddler, Firefly, APCs, the Arkham Knight boss fight, all of it. Also that the ninjas are all so rare and only have like two different combo knockout animations.

Anyway, I was planning on talking about Horizon Zero Dawn and how Rockbreakers are the mightiest regular enemy I've ever faced in a video game and the bane of my existence.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Der Kyhe posted:

You say this as if catan isn't complete garbage.

Choose your starting locations, wait twenty minutes to confirm if it was a good idea. Get screwed over by 7s at random so it's impossible to plan long term, wait for death.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
4e was good because it's the only edition where the designers realized that, if you're going to design a heavy, combat focused RPG, you should probably make the combat interesting.

3.X was killed for me when I was hit with Tasha's Hideous Laughter on the first round of a long fight. I was out for 8 rounds, but, since I kept my reflex and Dex bonus to AC, nothing could touch me outside of an enemy rolling a natural 20 on me.

It was a three hour real-time fight. I pulled out a book and started reading because, well, gently caress it, there was nothing I could do but roll Will to save against a spell DC I couldn't hit outside of a natural 20 on my turn. Lost rounds are fine in a video game where you can control multiple characters. It loving sucks in a tabletop game where you can only control one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Tiggum posted:

I would argue that it actually doesn't serve that purpose at all. I've played a bunch of other RPGs and compared with them D&D is overly complicated, and even among the generic sword and sorcery settings it's pretty bland.

It serves its purpose as name recognition but youre right that theres far more streamlined games id prefer to introduce someone to the hobby with.