Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

504 posted:

Could we not let SMG drown this thread in stupid word garbage posts like every other he's in? He's only here because this is the current "big topic"

SMG is a gimmick, he makes ridiculous comments that people bizarrely believe are real, he never has a regular opinion or one that even agrees with what the majority of people think, he keeps saying stupid poo poo until the thread collapses or someone points out the obvious trolling when he makes one comment to much, then he vanishes (to keep his gimmick intact)

For fucks sake, he tried claiming Alien resurrection was actually meant to be a silent movie and that he only watched in in languages he doesn't speak and dumbasses still didn't get it.

Nice meltdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The Jedi and Sith only allow mutants, but those are only two religions. Dozens of characters like Han, Chirrut, Baze, Jar Jar, and R2D2 all ‘use the force’ without being psychic.

What you‘re talking about is gaining objective and measurable telekinesis, without any causal mechanism, just by wishing hard enough. But that’s silly.

Chirrut and Baze both use the Force but are explicitly not Jedi. They're the last survivors of an Order that apparently existed to guard the Jedi's khyber crystals and also monuments of cultural significance. If they merely believed IN the fallen Jedi Order they would have just died, or lost faith and left like all the presumable other Guardians of the Whills. They clearly---well, Chirrut at first and then Baze--believe in something else. But what? What's the Force without a Jedi Order?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm glad that the slave kids are inspired by Luke and none of the new characters. "The past must die!" lol

He has Roses ring so maybe you aren't right.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

an skeleton posted:

god i love your posts so much

that being said, I'd love to hear thoughts on when exactly han / jar jar / etc. used the force

"In my experience, there's no such thing as luck."

Every "lucky coincidence" is a manifestation of the Force, if you believe in God. Jar Jar's clumsy and highly effective fighting, R2's miraculous brushes with deactivation, Han shooting a Sarlacc tentacle while blind.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

504 posted:

SMG is a gimmick, he makes ridiculous comments that people bizarrely believe are real, he never has a regular opinion or one that even agrees with what the majority of people think, he keeps saying stupid poo poo until the thread collapses or someone points out the obvious trolling when he makes one comment to much, then he vanishes (to keep his gimmick intact)

This trend of "people don't actually believe in what they're posting and are just trying to trick me" is both the loving weirdest and dumbest thing these two star war threads have spawned

an skeleton posted:

that being said, I'd love to hear thoughts on when exactly han / jar jar / etc. used the force

I think it's pretty clear that, especially based on Chirrut's use of him not getting blown away by guns while he walks to the button, we can infer that the force is at work:

- With R2 at least in TPM when he's fixing Padme's ship; he also manages to not get blasted in ESB before loving Cloud City itself
- With Jar Jar on the Naboo battlefield
- Protecting Han when he's chasing after Stormtroopers and being an all around reckless fella

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Waffles Inc. posted:

This trend of "people don't actually believe in what they're posting and are just trying to trick me" is both the loving weirdest and dumbest thing these two star war threads have spawned

They learned it from Obi-wan.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If you don’t believe people gimmick post on these forums you’re being obtuse.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Truth as a gimmick? Ok well it worked for the Sith.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

My gimmick is that I love the prequels more than the ot

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

homullus posted:

Every "lucky coincidence" is a manifestation of the Force, if you believe in God. Jar Jar's clumsy and highly effective fighting, R2's miraculous brushes with deactivation, Han shooting a Sarlacc tentacle while blind.

I've gotta say, I do enjoy Jar Jar being used as an argument for the existence of God.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Gatts posted:

There's this anime series Overlord where the main character gets trapped in the game starting out as, like, Level 99 with maxed out stats and equipment. He has NPCs he leads out in the world to figure out what happened, can he escape, and if there's anyone else. It's kinda neat series and it works. He's basically invincible from the get go.

Allow me to demonstrate proof of what I stated....

Overlord owns

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Did they switch art leads or whatever from TFA? Because the new ships and creatures were generally pretty boring and not Star War-sy.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

anatomi posted:

Did they switch art leads or whatever from TFA? Because the new ships and creatures were generally pretty boring and not Star War-sy.

This but the exact opposite, TFA's production design was too dedicated to being in the existing star wars mold to really make anything spectacular, and TLJ's design really got that you have to branch out: the Black Narcissus alien nuns, the samurai guards in Snoke's Tokyo Drifter throne room, and Space Monaco all looked like new elements that had aesthetic lineage in the old design sense without being subservient to it.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I got yelled at on another forum because I said Poe Dameron was white and was told Oscar Isaac was Latin American therefore further the social justice course.

You know what, to my Asian eyes, he look like a typical Southern European white male. I want a loving 23andme receipt of Poe.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

True, but the point is more specifically that the Jedi fighter literally transforms into Darth Vader’s fighter when it goes into attack mode.

No, it doesn't literally transform into Vader's fighter. It's more like a cross between an x-wing and an interceptor.

504 posted:

For fucks sake, he tried claiming Alien resurrection was actually meant to be a silent movie and that he only watched in in languages he doesn't speak and dumbasses still didn't get it.

Lol

whatever7 posted:

I got yelled at on another forum because I said Poe Dameron was white and was told Oscar Isaac was Latin American therefore further the social justice course.

You know what, to my Asian eyes, he look like a typical Southern European white male. I want a loving 23andme receipt of Poe.

At this rate we're never gonna figure out once and for all who's white and who isn't

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

whatever7 posted:

His birth name is Óscar Isaac Hernández Estrada and he was born in Guatemala. You're the one in the wrong here, happy to help.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Why does the last name matter? Maybe he's got more white parentage than indigenous Americans?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

whatever7 posted:

Why does the last name matter? Maybe he's got more white parentage than indigenous Americans?

His European ancestors are Irish, who aren't white

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

His birth name is Óscar Isaac Hernández Estrada and he was born in Guatemala. You're the one in the wrong here, happy to help.

60% of the population of Guatemala is of European descent, happy to help

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

whatever7 posted:

If you're going to start arguing that his blood isn't pure enough to 'count' then that's entirely on you and certainly isn't weird at all.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I Before E posted:

This but the exact opposite, TFA's production design was too dedicated to being in the existing star wars mold to really make anything spectacular, and TLJ's design really got that you have to branch out: the Black Narcissus alien nuns, the samurai guards in Snoke's Tokyo Drifter throne room, and Space Monaco all looked like new elements that had aesthetic lineage in the old design sense without being subservient to it.
I agree that the above were interesting and exciting designs that still felt like they belonged in the SW universe (I especially liked the nuns); those are some of the good examples. The Dreadnaughts, Last Guardian-esque horses and the ice foxes didn't particularly adhere to the aesthetic lineage and felt pretty jarring. And while Space Monaco was interesting, the ships showcased during those scenes were not. I too think TFA played it a bit too safe design-wise, but even its slightly updated Star Destroyer looked a lot more exciting than TLJ's Dreadnaught. I don't know, I need to watch TLJ again.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Ah yes, my favorite part of the Star Wars saga, sitting around splitting hairs about whether one of the actors is genetically white or just white-passing

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

If you're going to start arguing that his blood isn't pure enough to 'count' then that's entirely on you and certainly isn't weird at all.

He's not arguing, he's just asking questions.

Besides, he's not the bigot making assumptions about someones ethnicity based on their name and place of birth so maybe you need to have a think about what you're actually trying to say

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Just google his nipples and stop squabbling jeez

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

What matters isn't the whiteness here *points to birth certificate, ancestry.com printout, and your face* it's the whiteness here *taps your chest*

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

No Wave posted:

Just google his nipples and stop squabbling jeez

This is the only result for Poe Dameron Nipples

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Google oscar isaac shirtless (and thank me later)

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
In the 2017 film Star Wars: The Last Jedi, a proud Latinx man is repeatedly shut down by two white women, told he needs to be less hot-headed, and saved by salt foxes. He might as well have yelled "Bastards! Long live the liberal party!" before they zapped him with the stun laser

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

No Wave posted:

Google oscar isaac shirtless (and thank me later)

I've determined that Oscar Isaac is a person of color.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Is it normal for men's nipples to be that tiny btw? Do I just have big ones?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well think of all the men's nipples you've seen I guess.

Wait are we taking about Kylo Ren or the alien cows on ach to

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Chirrut and Baze both use the Force but are explicitly not Jedi. They're the last survivors of an Order that apparently existed to guard the Jedi's khyber crystals and also monuments of cultural significance. If they merely believed IN the fallen Jedi Order they would have just died, or lost faith and left like all the presumable other Guardians of the Whills. They clearly---well, Chirrut at first and then Baze--believe in something else. But what? What's the Force without a Jedi Order?

Well that’s like saying ‘what is God without Orthodox Judaism?’ or something. Chirrut already explains this: he is the the Force and the Force is with him. He is God, and God is with him. But this mantra needs to be read carefully, so that we don’t make the same error as Jules in Pulp Fiction.

Chirrut has no illusions of grandeur; “I am the Force” means that God is blind, God is powerless, God is a homeless beggar.

But “the Force is with me”: God suffers in solidarity with the meek. The meek are united by the Holy Spirit.

Contrast this to the popular reaction to TLJ, where the Force is Skype. “They can chat over long distances, just like Skype!” In this view, midichlorians formed a biological internet identical to the one in Avatar. Luke uses the power of inbuilt Oculus Rift and broadband wifi to hack the First Order and insert his avatar into Kylo’s augmented reality interface.

Most Star Wars fans literally worship the internet as God, instead of God. Lucas created the midichlorian plot twist specifically to counteract their idolatry.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Well that’s like saying ‘what is God without Orthodox Judaism?’ or something. Chirrut already explains this: he is the the Force and the Force is with him. He is God, and God is with him. But this mantra needs to be read carefully, so that we don’t make the same error as Jules in Pulp Fiction.

Chirrut has no illusions of grandeur; “I am the Force” means that God is blind, God is powerless, God is a homeless beggar.

How can someone make it through an entire one of these posts, for serious

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fridge corn posted:

He's not arguing, he's just asking questions.

Besides, he's not the bigot making assumptions about someones ethnicity based on their name and place of birth so maybe you need to have a think about what you're actually trying to say

There's also the interviews he's actually given about the subject you know. As in the place where this information actually comes from.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
He actually says, "I'm one with the Force, the Force is with me." He also says, controversially, "I'm gay."

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
That’s the same thing.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

How can someone make it through an entire one of these posts, for serious

READ, and The Force is with you.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

edit: eh nm

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Denotation? Same, maaaaybe. Connotation very different.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

There's also the interviews he's actually given about the subject you know. As in the place where this information actually comes from.

Maybe you should have posted that and let the man speak for himself instead of running the risk of sounding incredibly insensitive and ignorant yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

fridge corn posted:

Maybe you should have posted that and let the man speak for himself instead of running the risk of sounding incredibly insensitive and ignorant yourself

It doesn't matter whether he thinks he's not white because of Death of the Author

• Locked thread