Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Dumb question. Do the moons that you get from Toadette count towards the 990?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Yes :getin:

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Are the only ones that don’t count the ones you can buy in the Mushroom Kingdom? I’d like to sorta get the “true” ending of the game if I can.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
You can buy infinite moons from any shop in the post-game, the entire point of them is to be able to push yourself to unlocking the final final stuff without grinding out every single actual moon if that's not what you want to do.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I got this for Christmas and T-Rex Mario still rules

Dying 5 times on the same jump because I have no depth perception does not

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Just Darker Side left for me. I did buy two extra moons to get to 999 early. Couldn't figure out Light from the ceiling in the Mushroom Kingdom for the longest time because I forgot you could click the stick to go into first-person.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

The mushroom kingdom 2D bullet bill bit was a total pain in the rear end.

And then I found out I missed a star and had to redo it again. That took a fair few attempts.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Discount Viscount posted:

Couldn't figure out Light from the ceiling in the Mushroom Kingdom for the longest time because I forgot you could click the stick to go into first-person.

I don't wanna sound like a jerk about this but :psyduck:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Macaluso posted:

I don't wanna sound like a jerk about this but :psyduck:

I literally beat the whole game and never went into first person mode, so that's not too surprising.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Yeah but like. Did you never play Mario 64

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Macaluso posted:

Yeah but like. Did you never play Mario 64

No you are misunderstanding, the first thing I did was tilt the camera view up to the ceiling, but I did not realize there actually was a first person view because I'd never used it before. Of course I immediately thought there'd be a secret there.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I got so excited when I found the N64 castle garden and for a short moment thought that there was going to be a version of big boos mansion to play through. That would have cemented Odyssey as best game ever.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

8-Bit Scholar posted:

No you are misunderstanding, the first thing I did was tilt the camera view up to the ceiling, but I did not realize there actually was a first person view because I'd never used it before. Of course I immediately thought there'd be a secret there.

I did the exact same.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Death to Ice Physics

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Frankston posted:

I got so excited when I found the N64 castle garden and for a short moment thought that there was going to be a version of big boos mansion to play through. That would have cemented Odyssey as best game ever.

I wonder how much work it would be to port 64 into Odyssey?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

VanSandman posted:

Probably more than would be worth it for about 90 minutes of content. Without kicking you out of the level after every star, Mario 64 is a very short game.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
As a person who hasn't owned a nintendo console since the super nintendo, I have to say that I'm very impressed with odyssey. There's so much content. I found 31 moons in the desert land, then realized I wasn't even halfway done.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

VanSandman posted:

The biggest SM64 modder Kaze (the dude that made Super Mario 64 Online), has done this so you can play Super Mario 64 with Cappy and that's as close as you'll get.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

s.i.r.e. posted:

The biggest SM64 modder Kaze (the dude that made Super Mario 64 Online), has done this so you can play Super Mario 64 with Cappy and that's as close as you'll get.

I mean just the game in Odyssey itself, as DLC or something.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

VanSandman posted:

I mean just the game in Odyssey itself, as DLC or something.

I wish.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

about to jump into this

Given the option for portable play: joy-cons on switch, pro controller, joy-con in each hand?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

about to jump into this

Given the option for portable play: joy-cons on switch, pro controller, joy-con in each hand?

Pro controller for the better sticks, unless you're playing on the go.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Joy-Con in each hand if you really wanna be able to do all the different gestures, but I personally used the Pro Controller the whole time

It’s just such a nice controller

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I would never use anything but the pro controller if given the choice.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i only needed the joycons for one moon in the sand kingdom, pro controller does the trick for the rest of them

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

the pro controller honesty feels divine

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

alf_pogs posted:

i only needed the joycons for one moon in the sand kingdom, pro controller does the trick for the rest of them

I got every moon with a Pro Controller. Which are you thinking of?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Dual joycons works really well for odyssey. Pro controller might be better but it also costs a million dollars so

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

The Bloop posted:

I got every moon with a Pro Controller. Which are you thinking of?

the bullet bill to a faraway pillar. i couldnt consistently get the speed boost without waggling em

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

the bullet bill to a faraway pillar. i couldnt consistently get the speed boost without waggling em

You can waggle the pro controller for the speed boost too.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Pro controller is so good, I'm reminded how awful the PS4 controller is in comparison, and how tiny just using the Joycons felt.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Drewjitsu posted:

You can waggle the pro controller for the speed boost too.

this might be an "alf pogs needs to get gud" thing but i found it way way easier with the joycons

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

You literally just shake the pro controller, that's it. I'm pretty sure just moving it in any direction works.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, most of the capture shakes are just general shakes and not any specific configuration.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really want to use the detached joycons for Odyssey but ultimately I find them really uncomfortable, unlike the old Wiimote setup. Maybe I should look into getting some sort of grips for them so they fit in the palm of my hand a bit better.

I've mostly used the pro controller so far, but I have an easier time doing every motion gesture consistently with the detached joy cons. The one I do most often is the homing hat throw, though, and that's just as easy with the pro controller. Things like the upward and downward throws don't work as well for me with the pro controller, but so far that's been a worthwhile trade-off for having a much more comfortable controller.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

alf_pogs posted:

this might be an "alf pogs needs to get gud" thing but i found it way way easier with the joycons

It probably was way easier since you can just shake the one and not also be shaking your steering stick. Took me a few tries with the pro once I figured out how the hell to get over there in the first place.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, most of the capture shakes are just general shakes and not any specific configuration.

You need to shake it forward or down. If you flick upwards, Cappy will fly upwards.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You need to shake it forward or down. If you flick upwards, Cappy will fly upwards.

He specifically said "capture shakes", as in shaking the controller to use a special move of a captured enemy. Shaking/jerking the controller in any direction works for all of them as far as I'm aware.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I used the joy con grip the whole time and it was great for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seymour Buttz
Apr 26, 2006

Dog controls your destiny.

RCarr posted:

He specifically said "capture shakes", as in shaking the controller to use a special move of a captured enemy. Shaking/jerking the controller in any direction works for all of them as far as I'm aware.

Also, afaik they never tell you but a fair amount of the captures let you use a button to do their motion-control move. ex. For the long leg onions you can hit another jump button at the height of the stretch to extend, when you're electricity on a power wire you can tap jump to pick stuff up, etc.

When I'm playing in handheld mode I don't like shaking my whole Switch around to do motion stuff, so it's only really annoying with the captures that don't let you use buttons.

• Locked thread