Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
my mom got fired from the lovely place she worked largely due to top-level management loving up a major contract for the company and then finding any excuse to fire people to shrink the workforce. It wasn't a great job and the pay sucked, but she enjoyed it and loved all the people she worked with, and people were crying when they found out she got fired. The CEO gave a completely nonsensical memo to everyone a bit ago about the contract fumbling, and ensured that things would continue as-is, but in reality of course that meant over a quarter of the entire company was fired within a week.

Basically, eat the rich.

Also I've been bedridden since saturday and so I'm super worried about finances since I've not been able to work. I'll be able to get a single day in this week. And thanks to the congestion and throat/sinus garbage I sound like marge's sisters from the simpsons, it's uncanny.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I think I have depression depression. I took prozac for a few years before joining the army, but stopped during and even during the transition to the national guard after a few years. Guard ends next month so I've been trying to distract myself by taking online classes and getting a new much higher tempo job a few months ago.

After the gf broke up with me last month (but still living together until March, lease) I've just kind of closed in. I woke up this morning wishing I hadn't.

My dude, trust me, it's bad now, but it gets better, you just cannot give up. If you give up, getting back up is that much harder. I realize this sounds like an empty platitude, but it does matter, and despite the gf/roommate situation, there's always more people out there to meet. She just wasn't the one, there is someone out there for you. You just can't stop hunting for them, or you'll never find them.

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 18:52 on Dec 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tip Shades
Oct 28, 2016

Solice Kirsk posted:

A pretty good friend of mine passed away last night. I hadn't hung out with him for a year or so, but he was super close to a couple of my best friends. They're not taking it too well, and I'm not on Facebook so I really have no idea how or what even happened. I didn't even know he was sick or anything. This year has been a pretty lovely year. Can't wait for it to be over.

Hey fellow dead friend bro.:sympathy:

Sorry to hear about your friend passing. If you can, see if there's anything you can do for your friends, even if it's just as simple as taking care of menial tasks. It won't make the pain go away, but it'll at least be small comfort for them having a little less to worry about.

And yeah, gently caress this year.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

MisterBibs posted:

Bought two games with christmas gift cards (Astroneer and SPAZ2), both sucked, and I'm not sure if the latter's refund is going to go through because I think I'm over playtime-wise.

My threshold for annoyances in video games is getting really low.

no save states huh?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Today was not a good day. My wife had a slip-and-fall at work today that may have torn a ligament in her knee. We'll know after she gets an MRI on Sunday, so for the next couple of days I'm going to be stuck taking my dogs out and walking them solo. By tomorrow morning, it will be -10 outside with a -30 windchill.

That's on the heels of the first significant snowstorm of the year, which happened today. I can't get my snowblower started, so after my feet thaw out in a bit, it'll be time to break out the shovel. It's currently 2 degrees with a -10 wind chill.

I also learned today my wife likely tossed $1,000 into our burning fireplace.

This is going to take some explanation, but I'll try and keep it brief. You see, I got paid on Wednesday. My job does not offer direct deposit. My job, which involves writing for a trio of small newspapers, does not have a website. It's just how it is and I've made it work fine for the last 6 years. The issuing bank is open later than my bank, which closes before I leave for the day. Long story short, I take home an envelope full of cash and deal with it later. I take out some money for me and then toss the envelope on our catch-all table where we put mail and poo poo. My wife, who is the bookkeeper in the family, then takes that cash and puts it into our account. On Wednesday, I told her I cashed my check and she watched me toss it on the table. This morning, the envelope could not be found. After tearing through a couple of garbage bags and combing the house, my wife realized that it is possible that when she chucked some unsolicited credit card offers into our burning fireplace that evening, that envelope may have been inadvertently been included. After tearing the house apart, it sure looks like that's where it wound up. If the "small town journalist" thing didn't tip you off, we're not exceedingly wealthy. My wife is quite literally laid up with a possible ligament tear so I'd prefer not to quite literally set $1,000 ablaze but it looks like 10 C-Notes went up my chimney.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Eye doctor was confused when I said I stopped taking my meds. I saw him three weeks after our first meeting, and the prescriptions were only for two with no refills. So once again he put them in for refills and just to be sure, gave me a full month's supply.

Well now I have one of them from the pharmacy...still with no refills. And my insurance randomly doesn't want to cover the other now. Naturally Saturday is their short hours day, so I have to bust my rear end to make sure I phone them up about this at 9AM. :goleft:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Elfgames posted:

no save states huh?

Oh please, like I'd even consider pulling the trigger on a game where you can't save and load at any point (or, at the very least, know where the save data is located so I can revert back).

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

phone got shut down because I havent paid my phone bills in three months, Im flat loving broke, in crippling debt, depressed, and I somehow have to keep it together for my son

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The last two days I've had to drive in some seriously terrifying snowy weather, and I think my body decided to full-body clench over it.

So today, I am achy all over.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Sick, again. Not sure what it is but I can only stomach ginger tea.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I bought some topical cream to help with sore muscles but it burns my skin like I rubbed chilis in my eyes.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Surprise $500+ medical bill final notice today because the hospital refused to change my address despite me telling them my new address every time I was there every month for a year. Somehow your collection agency manages to find my address just fine, HMM

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Went to look at awesome used car I could afford and was in great condition. Had an appt for this morning.

It sold last night. The sales dude knew, of course, but kept us in limbo while he tried to persuade us to look at fleet rentals.

My car's water pump went out. It's like she knew.

My friend got back from a trip and she's been pretty standoffish and not wanting to do much.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I have been having random seizures that cause me to just stand/sit and stare into nothingness for hours and lose all ability to verbalize. I ended up in the hospital because I had one last night while I was shopping and they called the police because I was "acting erratic". The cops were actually super nice and called and ambulance, but now I have a HUGE hospital bill to pay and I feel like a freak that can't leave the house.

Also no driving (my one true love!) for at least a year.

gently caress this. gently caress everything.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

fizzymercy posted:

I have been having random seizures that cause me to just stand/sit and stare into nothingness for hours and lose all ability to verbalize. I ended up in the hospital because I had one last night while I was shopping and they called the police because I was "acting erratic". The cops were actually super nice and called and ambulance, but now I have a HUGE hospital bill to pay and I feel like a freak that can't leave the house.

Also no driving (my one true love!) for at least a year.

gently caress this. gently caress everything.

That's terrifying. Sorry.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

My electricity company removed the credit card option from online payments for some reason, it's just not where it always was. My gas company won't recognize my account number anymore. So I can't pay either bill right now because I have no money in my account at the moment so I can't pay through my bank.

And one of my Steam games undownloaded sometime in the last 24 hours and I wanted to play it right now because I'm mad but now I have to wait.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

ryonguy posted:

Surprise $500+ medical bill final notice today because the hospital refused to change my address despite me telling them my new address every time I was there every month for a year. Somehow your collection agency manages to find my address just fine, HMM

If you can somehow prove that you provided the correct address and never received the bill because it went to your old address they may be willing to waive the collection fees. I work in medical billing and we'll waive fees if the doctor didn't put the right address on the original paperwork or things like that.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

cyberia posted:

If you can somehow prove that you provided the correct address and never received the bill because it went to your old address they may be willing to waive the collection fees. I work in medical billing and we'll waive fees if the doctor didn't put the right address on the original paperwork or things like that.

I'm going with "ignore it because my credit is already in the toilet and I don't care anymore, and if you garnish my wages I'll quit my job and give every cent I have to the local homeless shelter out of spite" because I really don't give a drat about working with a completely broken system run and staffed by sociopaths only in it for the money.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I keep loving up at work. Unfortunately this leads to anxiety which leads to loving up some more. Needless to say, being fired is my number one nightmare that keeps me up at night ever since I started in the world of work and it is turning into a loving self fulfilling prophecy. Losing my job will bring about massive catastrophe because who in their right mind would hire me after being fired? I'll die alone and penniless after losing my flat, my dog, my relationship because that is what happens to people who are fired.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I had a dream that felt very familiar and :3:, like an old friend I haven't seen in years. Then I woke up more, and realized it wasn't some ancient memorable dream from long ago returned, but literally parts of the last three games I've played with the serial numbers filed off.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 16:01 on Jan 3, 2018

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Today I realized that a manager I befriended, and who now is now disliked by my company, may use texts I sent to her complaining about stuff could be used against me if she shows them to other people. I should really trust NO ONE.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I'm so worried because the place I stayed in Belize for 2 months last year is imminently threatened by a tsunami and there's no where safe to go except hiding behind mangroves and hoping for the best.

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!
I missed my daughters’ birthday yesterday because I had to drive 3 hours out of town to change out a huge tire down some goat trail oilfield ice road. After 7 hours straight in -35 I had the tire ready to air up but it was too skinny compared to the rim and despite my best efforts with torch, grease and air blaster after 2 more hours I gave up and unbolted the whole thing and had to bring it back to the shop like a failure. So I missed it for nothing basically and now we look like idiots to the customer so my boss is pissed

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I lost my good earbuds.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I finally checked in on it and it turns out the medication I'm on can cause anxiety and depression type poo poo, which describes how I've been feeling for the past month pretty well.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

My Youtube channel only has 566 subscribers so I got completely demonetized.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Thin Privilege posted:

Today I realized that a manager I befriended, and who now is now disliked by my company, may use texts I sent to her complaining about stuff could be used against me if she shows them to other people. I should really trust NO ONE.

Never send a text message or email that you wouldn't want read out in a court room :tinfoil:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I was playing a game on my tablet, and was 9/10ths of the way to getting something I wanted. But I forgot to load the game for a day to finish it off, so now I'm 9/10ths of the way to getting something I have no need of.

Like, I know this is more FWPish, but dammit, it bummed the poo poo out of me.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 08:35 on Jan 28, 2018

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

cyberia posted:

Never send a text message or email that you wouldn't want read out in a court room :tinfoil:

Yeah I’ve realized this and now won’t text anything private to anyone at work especially. I have drama type things that I would like to talk to someone and the only people who would understand is coworkers but I can’t talk to them because then word would spread out etc etc. So I have no one to talk to about said drama-type thing. I am very sad. At least I have my cats who are silly and make me laugh :smith:

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
My mom told me three times to remember to pick up my younger brother at school at 9 because he had some kind of loving party or some poo poo to attend so I got here at 9 and he was nowhere to be found so I texted him and he replied to me at 9:30 saying no it's over at 10 and there's no point in me turning around and going home because by the time I got home I would just have to turn right back around and immediately come back to the loving school. I just have to loving wait here until this loving party is over in my car in a high school parking lot for an hour at 17°f

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Picked up pizza today. Ordered it with light sauce and well done. Ate about half a slice before sauce spurted out, and the middle tasted barely cooked. For the first time ever for pizza, I was That Customer. I called the store and said I'd be back for a replacement and would bring the poo poo pizza back. The one I got ended up perfect, even with all the spit I'm sure I got in it.

Meanwhile my mom's pizza was the same, and her replacement, she said, wasn't as good as the undercooked one.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
Woke up early. Watched documentary about Waco and they are talking about kids burning to death. Cut to commercial about Chucky Cheeze.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Either the meds I'm on are causing some hosed up poo poo that means I need to get off them ASAP or they're merely exacerbating an already crappy low-level head cold. Thankfully I have an appointment for Monday, but my sleep schedule is also out of sync so it's gonna be a huge hassle either way.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It started snowing here just as I was getting out of work, so the drive home was the standard fun nothing-plowed-nothing-salted nightmare. It's loving terrifying to have to go up a wouldn't-even-show-up-on-a-topographic-map hill with your pedal to the floor and just barely inching up it as your car's hey-you-have-no-traction warning beats out of samba.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I've been selling stuff on ebay. I got scammed by a buyer, and ebay withdrew money I don't have from my account. So, now I am out the item I shipped, the shipping fees, and the actual money I needed for groceries,.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Out-of-the-blue medical incident means I got dropped from placement, possibly forcing me to wait another semester before graduation and also being kind of loving embarrassing. I'd already taken leave and rosters for that period have been finalised so idk if I can get my shifts back, I feel lovely and I've been putting off talking to people because I just don't want to think about it. Completely derailed how I thought the next few weeks were going to go, but that's life I guess.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I kind of don't know if this belongs here or the awesome day thread, or maybe e/n.

I've had a strained relationship with my dad. Recently I sent back a Christmas card as a "gently caress you" to him, but I my sister made me feel guilty about it so I called my old man to explain how I felt. Which I did. To which be basically responded with "Get over it." To which I responded by screaming at him for a few minutes about how much of a loving cowardly scumbag he is and then hanging up on him. And now I feel a bit better :D

Parents are really lovely at being parents sometimes.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm coming down with my fourth cold in 4 months.

Also I'm pretty sure my parents are going to get divorced soon

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Langosta Whiteman posted:

Parents are really lovely at being parents sometimes.

I cut my dad out completely in 1998 and only looked back when he somehow got my email address and tried to pretend all the horrible poo poo I went through as a kid at his hands never happened. I got absolutely wasted, went to a friend's house, and wrote a huge letter about how much I hated him and nothing he could do would ever make up for what happened. It was so cathartic and necessary and I felt soooooo good after.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My neighbors were litterally throwing themselves into the walls so hard that stuff was getting knocked off my shelves.

For three hours.
On a Monday night.
Until about 3 am.

I don't live in a crappy building so this behavior is uncommon.

It was so bad that I had to call the cops, which now makes me officially an old man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Picnic Princess posted:

I cut my dad out completely in 1998 and only looked back when he somehow got my email address and tried to pretend all the horrible poo poo I went through as a kid at his hands never happened. I got absolutely wasted, went to a friend's house, and wrote a huge letter about how much I hated him and nothing he could do would ever make up for what happened. It was so cathartic and necessary and I felt soooooo good after.

Yeah it's like for the first time in my life I'm actually glad that my dad hasn't really been in my life because he's turned out to be a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE shithead so :hfive: