Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Dusty Lens posted:

Everyone please stop posting that no one reads DS's tweets or he'll just bring them here.

e; :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

what have i done

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Dusty Lens posted:

Everyone please stop posting that no one reads DS's tweets or he'll just bring them here.

e; :negative:

He can post them all he wants, I'm still gonna just scroll past them

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I understand your point, Oh Internet Warlord, but what I'm suggesting is that they could say that when they're selling "Squadron 42" what they're actually selling is "Star Citizen: Wing Commander Style Single Player Mode Edition". In other words they're selling a part of the game they have a license for instead of a standalone product. I genuinely have no idea whether or not that's a feasible legal argument or not (it probably isn't and I think it's firmly established that I am not a lawyer or in any way, shape, or form remotely competent when it comes to legal matters), but it would be hilarious if they tried.

In IP law, it's not a valid argument. And it is not very likely that any attorney they hire, and who is likely to be at the caliber or Skadden, would go this route. If they do, they will be shredded in the cross-complaint answer.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Probate the tweets Beer Wagon. Anime rules.

Probe

The

Tweets

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

See guys? It hasn't been in development that long, we have years before we should start worrying.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Tweet on twat, I aint gunna look at dat

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

this man is health

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Is there a chrome extension that can replace DS posts with that old gif of a chimp peeing into it's mouth? TIA

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

D_Smart posted:

Make no mistake, this lawsuit is more personal than it is business.

I hate myself for quoting this at DSmart's post but goddamit...

Iwanttobelieve

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Solarin posted:

this man is health

*extremely Derek voice* No. Wrong. Wrong wrong wrong. Dead wrong. This is a man who is unhealthy. Are you blind? Have you not read a single calorie blog? You imbecile, you cretin. This. Man. Has. Been. Murdered. By. Sandi. Period.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

HAHAHAHAHA so the backers were right and Star Citizen isn't six years old or whatever.

It's a technicality. :grin:

It is 6 yrs old, but only 5 yrs old in dev. We can't even attribute 2011 to pre-production, as that would imply that the work carried over into what they started in 2012.

So basically, 2011 was the marketing preamble to raise money to build the game.

Except, as with similar crowd-funded games, they used proof-of-concept assets masquerading as dev in progress.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Derek. Kill your commas.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Mr.Tophat posted:

*extremely Derek voice* No. Wrong. Wrong wrong wrong. Dead wrong. This is a man who is unhealthy. Are you blind? Have you not read a single calorie blog? You imbecile, you cretin. This. Man. Has. Been. Murdered. By. Sandi. Period.

she puts 42 sugars in his coffee when he isn't looking. We know this for a FACT.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

HAHAHAHAHA so the backers were right and Star Citizen isn't six years old or whatever.

I am overcome with grief.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

PrimeNerd posted:

Yeah, that's not how lawsuits work. CIG/RSI have to get served, and proof of service or waiver of service should be filed in PACER, before the timer starts on responses. Odds are good Crytek sent CIG the standard "Would you like to waive service and avoid like $100 in fees?" snail-mail letter when they filed the complaint. Crytek technically has a 60 day window to serve CIG, though normal service waivers have a 30 day window from complaint filing so plaintiff can reasonably perform regular service.

Oh hey MoMA, that'll be like...$2.50 for totes not a para-legal research of FRFCP poo poo. I'll play by PACER rules and say if we don't incur more than $15 in a quarter you get this for free. Don't gently caress up.

Why would I care about para-legal research? I'm not in any way, shape, or form involved in the CIG/CryTek dispute.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

MedicineHut posted:

Hey man, could you please link again a few of the posts that show why most of the publicly stated funding comes from a few whales? I remember seen those posted around but cant remember where.

Asking for a friend tia.

There isn't any one definitive piece of evidence but numerous user surveys, etc. all point to this.

Sample Reddit survey

Sample survey from the old RSI forums

My initial analysis based on forum titles

Updated (but not recent anymore) analysis including refunds

Analysis suggesting that the majority of typical (non-sales-event) revenue comes from transactions larger than $45 and $60, which are the cheapest game package prices.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

If time spent building assets that might be used in a game someday doesn't count as development time maybe they really only have spent about a year working on the game.

Hold on let me ask the neighbors dog what he thinks.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I'm glad Hav and his very strong bear avatar are back

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

He naturally got called out for it.

https://twitter.com/montoya_test/status/947980002385125376

And yet...he somehow is pouring his money into Star Citizen?

"like most people"

dude you're just not that important and we don't care. Go ahead and hug.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Dusty Lens posted:

Are you going for sheer stupidity? The real disappointment here is that you're not even worth taking down. Get off the internet, get on your meds.

This is the last you'll hear from me on the subject. Because you're blocked.

Dusty Lens posted:

Still at it? Welcome to double blocked.

Dusty Lens posted:

Haha another great post.

:rolleyes:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Solarin posted:

she puts 42 sugars in his coffee when he isn't looking. We know this for a FACT.

Yeah but then when he is looking the coffee gets thrown at his head and another tray of doughnuts is tossed onto his desk with the words, "Develop something you piece of poo poo," or "Master of friendSHIP yet?"

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

ManofManyAliases posted:

Why would I care about para-legal research? I'm not in any way, shape, or form involved in the CIG/CryTek dispute.

ok but you are a shared account used by the relay guys yes? I mean we all know this already but do you know that we know?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

3.0 is great

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Dusty Lens posted:

Legal status: Dog intentionally making GBS threads on a thick shag carpet.

Amended

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I'm glad your family is alive Moma :unsmith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CIG RELEASE THE PISS TAPE THE DOCUMENTS

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Dusty Lens posted:

Thank you for the measured response.

I'm shy about my body image so I'm don't want to strip down to my loincloth and smear myself with pigs blood until it's really time to start dancing around the bonfire.

How about just rubbing your nipples?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Virtual Captain posted:

I am overcome with grief.

you will progress through the five stages:

Rub
Rub
Hug jpeg
Rub
Blog

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Bayonnefrog posted:

"like most people"

dude you're just not that important and we don't care. Go ahead and hug.

It's actually a pretty terrifying statistic but a decent number of people are in financially fragile situations.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Your honour, there is no tutorial, so therefore, there is no game. QED LTI freedom.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Not sure this is meaningful. Companies do work with and/or through others all the time. That Crytek personel, or Crytek as a legal entity, helped Chris in 2011 or 2012 is really immaterial in order to establish when the game development really started. Even if Crytek was out of the picture still in 2011, Chris has acknowledged to have done work for the game in that year. Weather that was early design concepts brainstorming, marketing planning, prototyping or all of the above.

“When I was first prototyping Star Citizen back in 2011 I did a lot of research on various LOD processes as I knew this would be important considering the large poly counts I was aiming for. Simplygon was the best tool that I used and the folks at Donya Labs were incredibly patient and supportive of me and Star Citizen in our early days when the game was far from a sure thing. I couldn’t be happier to announce that Simplygon is our official LOD tool for Star Citizen."

https://web.archive.org/web/20160914002052/https://www.simplygon.com/news/cloud-imperium-games-chooses-simplygon

Unless, of course, any and all of that was a lie aswell, and absolutely nothing started really until 2012.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

One mention of para-legal and suddenly MoMA shows up

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Add those stupid glasses and the Willy Wonka costume is complete.

Wiley Wanker and the Chocshit Fucktory.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Not to be "the real Scotsman" but if you unironically jump on the Dusty Lens is an alt bandwagon you deserve to read all of Dereks blog twice as a punishment and all the pages of the original Cutlass thread on the rsi forums for educational purposes.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

oh yes

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

big nipples big life posted:

Stellaris is not really a space game. Also I already own it and lots of your other games. CK2 is still the best one though.

Is Wiz a Paradox employee?

I own Stellaris, EUIV, CK2 and HOI IV and they're all great.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Combat Theory posted:

Not to be "the real Scotsman" but if you unironically jump on the Dusty Lens is an alt bandwagon you deserve to read all of Dereks blog twice as a punishment and all the pages of the original Cutlass thread on the rsi forums for educational purposes.

People jumping on "Dusty Lens is a Derek Alt" is unironically helpful in the same way pizzagate was, in the sense where you can say "oh, you're actually that dumb, thanks for clarifying" to anyone who starts going off about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

I wish I could get the trek mod of Stellaris to work multilplayer, I try to LAN it but it doesn't pick up the open game. Normal Stellaris multiplayer works.