Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koishi Komeiji

A lot of Zelda games are better than OoT people just like that one because it was the first 3d Zelda and for a lot of people their first Zelda game. The soundtrack is also some of the worst video game music ever recorded I mean listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmsZyC0UXUU&t=70s
Someone got paid good money to go EW AH! EW AH! into a mircrophone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie

Pro Target posted:

twilight princess is better than OoT

agreed, midna is better than navi

Chasterson

by Nyc_Tattoo
Those wolf segments where you had to kill all the bugs sucked so bad though

if they just took those out it would be way way better

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ShinyBirdTeeth

sparkle sparkle sparkle

Koishi Komeiji posted:

BotW is a completely new Zelda game. This time Link's tunic is blue instead of green. Miyamoto-sama is a genius! :swoon:

The crawdad tunic from Wind Waker is the best link costume.

Koishi Komeiji

ShinyBirdTeeth posted:

The crawdad tunic from Wind Waker is the best link costume.

Agreed, pajama party link was indeed the best. Worth playing through the game a second time just to get to wear it imo.

BIRDCON 2017

Gene Hackman Fan

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
for shits and giggles, i went and downloaded the "stranger things" mobile game.

...it's actually pretty good. a zelda-esque dungeon crawler, but with areas in the show (the forest, the lab, the school, upside down, etc) and relying on figuring out which character is best-suited for the current puzzle or enemies you're squaring off against.

i'm only about 15% finished, and i'm terrible at it. but i'm having fun with it.

cda

by Hand Knit

Starman Super DX posted:

boy I’d love to be apart of whatever world you live in. it sounds like a magical place

ps

you are a part of his world

please respect protarget

----------------

Starman Super DX

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.
I believe that it’s pronounced “Protar-zhey”

Tell me more!
btw ty Birdcon for the sweet spring sig

Cyberpunkey Monkey

by Nyc_Tattoo
Two chicks video games at the same time, man.

----------------

a glitch

no wait stop

I'd find BOTW much more fun if things didn't break all the time. It's not fun having to farm shields because I need more practice with parrying Guardian lasers. It also sucks that I can't fight spongy enemies without destroying a few weapons in the process.

Maybe I just suck :(

a glitch fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 2, 2018

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

a glitch posted:

I'd find BOTW much more fun if things didn't break all the time. It's not fun having to farm shields because I need more practice with parrying Guardian lasers. It also sucks that I can't fight spongy enemies without destroying a few weapons in the process.

Maybe I just suck \/:(\/

your attachments are your weaknesses, young grasshopper, cast them aside and like, do a critical hit or throw them to bait some lightning or something

i've actually been playing some Way of the Samurai 3 lately and it is awesome and i am really bad at it.

Koishi Komeiji

a glitch posted:

Also every time it rains you can't climb walls or start fires so you just you have to wait it out which wouldn't normally be a big deal except it rains like every five minutes in Hyrule.

Starman Super DX

a glitch posted:

This is one of my biggest problems with choice of gameplay design in BotW, actually. Aside from not having gear, all of the loot and stuff you find breaks soon after, making it seem utterly meaningless.

"Oh hey, a super badass looking bejewled fire sword!"
*breaks in ten hits*

I feel like part of the fun of an open world game is finding relatively unique loot that takes you from a peasant to a super strapped adventurer. Jeez, even Oblivion gives you cool enchanted stuff that lasts basically forever if you got it repaired.
Maybe the problems lies in their desperation to make it an open world game while staying true to the original in all of the wrong ways. Gear usually had a certain uniqueness that tied itself to Link as a character and finding too much differentiating loot, weapons, armor, etc. wouldn't be "Link".
This certainly isn't a bad thing but inevitably causes a fault in the expectations of the players expecting "a Zelda game" whatever your definition of that may be.

Ultimately, I would say the overall issue is Nintendo wanting to have their cake and eat it too. Instead of spreading themselves too thin between two concepts they should have focused on an original property for a new kind of open world game they've never really tried before, or a new Zelda. Of course, I'm not saying Zelda has to stay the same either- maybe making a new Zelda game just means redefining what it is. They definitely kept a new but at the same time an old yet familiar atmosphere and design style, but I think keeping constrained to certain expectations of what makes a Zelda game in terms of gameplay probably ended up being their undoing.

Which resulted in all of this dumbass breakability poo poo. Even the Master Sword needs to be repaired or something, the one weapon in the game that I hoped wouldn't be subjected to it.

Tell me more!

Freakbox

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
Anyone tried Disgaea on the switch yet? I got it for Yule and I normally love strategy games but I'm slow to start new games. :catstare:

Pro Target

or you can say 'who gives a gently caress' and just use the 1000 weapons the game gives you

Pro Target

Ohhh no....my big sword broke. time to sit on the floor and cry

TOOT BOOT

People have strong feelings about Nintendo games, I guess its like if Mario used a gun or something

Koishi Komeiji

There's nothing wrong with the combat in Breath of the Wi- *master sword breaks*pauses game to select new weapon* Now as I was saying the combat in Botw is actually pretty go-*gets hit one time and loses 10 hearts* pauses game to eat one of 50 beef stews Link keeps in his pocket at all times* Now as I was saying...

Starman Super DX

idk I like games that are satisfying and fun to play and BotW isn’t :( I’m very sorry.

Tell me more!

Starman Super DX

TOOT BOOT posted:

People have strong feelings about Nintendo games, I guess its like if Mario used a gun or something

I just like analyzing the media that I consume I guess :shrug:

Tell me more!

Koishi Komeiji

Pro Target posted:

or you can say 'who gives a gently caress' and just use the 1000 weapons the game gives you

This isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of the system. Starman Super DX said the weapons suck and then you're like "B-but there's thousands of them!" So what?

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
im goign to destroy zelda

Koishi Komeiji

Freakbox posted:

Anyone tried Disgaea on the switch yet? I got it for Yule and I normally love strategy games but I'm slow to start new games. :catstare:

I played Disgaea 5 when it came out on the ps4 and it was pretty dam good. It's not the best Disgaea but it's really easy to pick up and get started if it's your first one but at the same time it offers a lot to experienced players and is possibly the most customizable Disgaea yet. Definitely one of my all time favorite franchises. Disgaea is the Saint's Row of Strategy RPGs.

Starman Super DX

so here's a Bloodborne thing I'm wondering about. Spoilers because Bloodblorne plot?? :confused:

I read somewhere (probably here) that the doll can be found in the "real world" which I did at the abandoned workshop. There might be more to this that I'm missing, but I believe another goon mentioned that the doll appears to be completely lifeless but "only at first". What clue does she give that she's actually alive?

:byobear: in mind it's entirely possible I'm misremembering it entirely and they were actually referring to your first encounter with her.

Tell me more!

TOOT BOOT

Starman Super DX posted:

I just like analyzing the media that I consume I guess :shrug:

No worries, I haven't played it nor do I have a switch, so I have no idea whether you're right or wrong.

Pro Target

Starman Super DX posted:

so here's a Bloodborne thing I'm wondering about. Spoilers because Bloodblorne plot?? :confused:

I read somewhere (probably here) that the doll can be found in the "real world" which I did at the abandoned workshop. There might be more to this that I'm missing, but I believe another goon mentioned that the doll appears to be completely lifeless but "only at first". What clue does she give that she's actually alive?

:byobear: in mind it's entirely possible I'm misremembering it entirely and they were actually referring to your first encounter with her.

As far as I know there’s nothing to indicate that

Pro Target

Koishi Komeiji posted:

There's nothing wrong with the combat in Breath of the Wi- *master sword breaks*pauses game to select new weapon* Now as I was saying the combat in Botw is actually pretty go-*gets hit one time and loses 10 hearts* pauses game to eat one of 50 beef stews Link keeps in his pocket at all times* Now as I was saying...

Wow cutting edge stuff here. Video game characters have a lot of stuff in their inventory? Someone call penny arcade. Giood poo poo

Pro Target

Koishi Komeiji posted:

This isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of the system. Starman Super DX said the weapons suck and then you're like "B-but there's thousands of them!" So what?

I like the system because I realize that the game isn’t about accruing a bunch of pointless loot weapons, which is the same reason they give you all your tools at the start of the game

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
im angry about video games

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mysterious frankie

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I’m pretty relaxed about video games, just to give a counterpoint.

----------------
Could the universe and starts be an enlarged reflection of the atomic world?

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

mysterious frankie posted:

I’m pretty relaxed about video games, just to give a counterpoint.

mods?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Einsteins Kegels

by R. Guyovich

cda posted:

ps

you are a part of his world

please respect protarget

yes, and that button is literally based on his av because as according to rnzv he "posts da most"

----------------

Ride The Gravitron

by FactsAreUseless

Starman Super DX posted:

Closest I can think of is the doll in the abandoned workshop has a silver hair pin that you can give to the doll in the dream world. when you do that the do in the dream world cries.

cda

by Hand Knit

TOOT BOOT posted:

holy poo poo. i want to go to there.

----------------

Starman Super DX

I heard the Mario shooty game is actually fun.

Tell me more!

cda

by Hand Knit
Mario...with a gun? My cash. All of it.

----------------

cda

by Hand Knit
Mario Quicktime Cinematic Takedown of a Goomba

----------------

Starman Super DX

wait hang on a minute: “turn based”? “tactical”??

I thought this was at least some kind of party shooter or something :mad:

Tell me more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koishi Komeiji

Starman Super DX posted:

I heard the Mario shooty game is actually fun.

It's surprisingly good. More depth than you would normally expect from a Mario game but it still has a light hearted wacky mini golf feel to it.