Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010

general chaos posted:

Gamestop has put a few items I'm interested in on sale. DSis for $20 and XLs down to $30 refurbished seem like a decent deal to me. Anyone able to speak to the quality of their refurbs? I had been eyeing the bronze colored XL for a while and I figure my younger cousins might like some cheap DS lites loaded with games.

Thanks for the tip! Got a bronze XL in good condition. Also the Target next door was clearing out the lower quality Bluetooth earbuds for 90% off so I stocked up on a couple of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I like to have a monitor that just displays random box arts from old systems, from NES to PS2 era, and I get a bit sad whenever I see the Dreamcast online games knowing those game servers are long dead at this point and probably unplayable.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Rirse posted:

I like to have a monitor that just displays random box arts from old systems, from NES to PS2 era, and I get a bit sad whenever I see the Dreamcast online games knowing those game servers are long dead at this point and probably unplayable.

A lot of them are still playable on fan servers and they're working on support for more games, including the 2k sports games: http://www.dreamcastlive.net/games.html

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
You can still play online using DreamPi. Apparently you wire the Dreamcast modem to a Raspberry Pi which in turn talks to fan run servers on the internet.

https://segaretro.org/DreamPi

(edit: beaten)

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Well, I was all set to do a writeup on Izzy's Quest for the Olympic Rings but my stupid laptop can no longer read how much power the battery has just shuts the gently caress down with no warning. So I'm gonna half-rear end this and call it a night.

Released in late November of 1995, Izzy's Quest was set to commemorate the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta and starred its mascot. Somebody must've had high hopes for him because there was also a cartoon made which apparently aired exactly once in TNT. Izzy's ties to the Centennial Park bombing are considered coincidental and he is no longer considered a suspect.

Goodbye plastic. Hello cardboard box and manual with laminated color front and back. That's a little unusual for a game released when the Genesis had one foot plus three toes in the grave. I've only ever encountered black and white manuals for Genny games in cardboard.

I have no idea what the drat face on the wall thinks is so funny.

Initial thoughts on the animation are that it's pretty good. The developers apparently thought so to as they included an animation test for Dizzy on the options menu, which is actually pretty cool. Everything kinda drops off in the game though. Enemies, power-ups and even parts of the background are all animated, which slows the game down a little. Music is pretty forgettable. Dizzy controls with momentum, meaning he's not at full speed right when you hit the d-pad, and you need to wait a half second to get going. Jumps are extra weird. Dizzy gains momentum at the top of his jump. This takes some getting used to and the first few times at least you'll feel like you're not going to make it wherever you were leaping. Dizzy gets various Olympic sports-based powers like a baseball bat, fencing foil and... rocket-powered hang glider? These are situational and are usually used to progress past a specific point in a level. Izzy collects medals similar to how Sonic collects rings. Get a few and you can take a hit but lose the medals you've collected.

Speaking of levels, they're long. Developer U.S. Gold was actually a British company, funnily enough, and this has a lot of Euro platformer characteristics. There are checkpoints in each level but you'll find yourself wishing there were more as stages tend to go on for a while. The level design isn't great and enemies are mostly of the ho-hum, wander back and forth variety.

All in all, not awful but it's not going to win some kind of award. If only there was an apt analogy for this!

Woeth-it-ness: :tif: Want to say this set me back $8. Genesis version can still be picked up sealed for about $10.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I distinctly remember one day of my childhood life where I walked into Best Buy with the money to buy exactly one Genesis game, but being torn between Izzy's Quest for the Olympic Rings (I dunno why, the box spoke to me), Garfield: Caught in the Act (I loved Garfield and Friends), or Aladdin (likewise, I loved this film - and I still do, it's tied with Hunchback of Notre Dame and Zootopia as my favorite Disney Animated Canon film).

I walked out of there with Aladdin, and a few years later I found Garfield: Caught in the Act new at GAME in England (literally an NTSC-U version of the game in a PAL game store - no idea how that happened, but I sure as poo poo bought it, since that was about as common for me as spotting a unicorn), and I loved the snot out of both of them (funnily enough, they both have the same basic play mechanics, too, which is strange), but I never did get a copy of Izzy.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

African AIDS cum posted:

Finally beat Space Station Silicon Valley like 19? years after buying it, for the longest time the 2nd to last level would always freeze and only recently did I learn it was due to the expansion pack. Not sure if the N64 boots with no jumper pak in so I just used a different console with the regular thingy in it, cartridge still had the save file on it from way back in the day. Took around 15 tries to beat that on rails shooter level then the final level was easy as hell. Feels good.

now bust out a gameshark so you can 100% it https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=6946

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Izzy's Quest was on SNES, too, wasn't it? I vaguely recall seeing it in Nintendo Power and at the ripe old age of like six being like "who cares about the Olympic mascot why are they trying to sell me this game".

So little has changed :allears:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

izzy wasn't actually developed by US gold, they were strictly a publisher I think. They were named like that because initially they were publishing US games in Europe, or paying devs to port games from US computers to Euro computers. They quickly moved to just being a normal publisher but kept the name

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
A quick search tells me Izzy was made by a company called Alexandria Inc that only ever put out a few games, but the lead designer was a guy named William Anderson who did a lot of level design for the Virgin Genesis platformers (Mick & Mack, Cool Spot, Jungle Book, Aladdin) and they all had that meandering level structure.

Dude's website has a lot of design documents for the games he worked on - not just those platformers but later stuff like the first Maximo game, Abe's Odyssee, a cancelled Namco USA Pac-Man game, etc. http://awakengames.com/my-games

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I was sent Izzy in a $1-max goon retro game exchange.

That's all there is to say about that.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Is there any place that has all N64 ROMs patched to not have the blur filter on them?

I am assuming my RGB modded N64 w/ a Framemeister, with those games patched, will look as good as an HDMI N64? Or is that not the case?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

A quick search tells me Izzy was made by a company called Alexandria Inc that only ever put out a few games, but the lead designer was a guy named William Anderson who did a lot of level design for the Virgin Genesis platformers (Mick & Mack, Cool Spot, Jungle Book, Aladdin) and they all had that meandering level structure.

Dude's website has a lot of design documents for the games he worked on - not just those platformers but later stuff like the first Maximo game, Abe's Odyssee, a cancelled Namco USA Pac-Man game, etc. http://awakengames.com/my-games

Ah, suddenly it makes more sense. Cool Spot is the only one of those I've played to completion but yeah, can definitely see the resemblance. There's a lot of verticality and you find yourself going up or down or left as often as right.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Is there any place that has all N64 ROMs patched to not have the blur filter on them?

I am assuming my RGB modded N64 w/ a Framemeister, with those games patched, will look as good as an HDMI N64? Or is that not the case?

You can see some comparison pics on RetroRGB but basically the UltraHDMI is just a little sharper, and has a little bit richer colors than an N64 That’s been RGB and Deblur modded. There’s also a MLIG video about it that has a lot of comparison pics. The two are really close though, and it’s a bigger pain to get your hands on an UltraHDMI right now.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

worthless. posted:

You can see some comparison pics on RetroRGB but basically the UltraHDMI is just a little sharper, and has a little bit richer colors than an N64 That’s been RGB and Deblur modded. There’s also a MLIG video about it that has a lot of comparison pics. The two are really close though, and it’s a bigger pain to get your hands on an UltraHDMI right now.

Awesome. Thank you.

Now to somehow find a torrent with the deblur mod because manually doing it myself will take months

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFAYzKLUvfI

Apparently those Jaleco multi-carts are finally coming out, my friend that runs a game shop said he's getting his order soon.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah those came out in December (at least according to Amazon), and they're doing stuff for Irem this year, an R-Type multicart for the SNES and then a Holy Diver cart for NES.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Awesome. Thank you.

Now to somehow find a torrent with the deblur mod because manually doing it myself will take months

Just drop the collection of deblur patches in the Auto folder on the Everdrive, and make sure the names match the ROMs. Mine matched No-Intro's, I believe.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

TVs Ian posted:

Just drop the collection of deblur patches in the Auto folder on the Everdrive, and make sure the names match the ROMs. Mine matched No-Intro's, I believe.

I didn't even know the Everdrive patches on the fly like that.

Where did you get the collection of patches?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Also interested in this info

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So am I reading this straight? An RGB modded N64 and a game with a deblur patch via Everdrive is about as good as an UltraHDMI N64?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Assuming you have a decent scaler or an RGB monitor it should be more or less the same.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

Assuming you have a decent scaler or an RGB monitor it should be more or less the same.
I've got an OSSC. I don't feel like spending $400. An Everdrive 64 during this year's sale, and an RGB mod at some point should come in at less than half of that.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

It's a New Age Retro Christmas 2017 Part 4: Cartoon Network Double Feature

It's Cartoon Network Speedway for the Gameboy Advance and Xiaolin Shodown for the Nintendo DS!

And these are licensed shovelware I'm assuming, so lets just get right to naked time.

It is amazing how much empty space there is in a GBA box.

Cartoon Network Speedway comes with its manual, tiny, tiny cartridge in a plastic baggie, and another one of those useless consumer precaution booklets that nobody reads. I'll be playing this on the best GBA SP ever.

Looks like this is going to be a pretty standard kart racer. On booting up, I'm heartened to see a bonus menu that shows a slew of various characters and tracks to be unlocked. Turns out there's a catch.

Only 6 of the 12 racers are playable right off the bat. Only 3 of the game's 12 tracks are available from the beginning. That...kinda sucks. Alright, I guess I could accept only half the game's characters but come the gently caress on, only 1/4 of the tracks?
It controls well enough but I think that may be because there really isn't a lot of speed to speak of. Racers have stats in grip, weight, and speed, but I raced with each of them and didn't notice a significant difference in any for handling. Of the initial 6 (Cow, Chicken, Sheep, Johnny Bravo, Courage, and Ed, Edd and Eddy) the lowest speed rating is Cow, who has 4/7. She's also the only one where I could expect someone to catch up with me if I was in the lead. The initial batch of characters is so evenly matched that you'll pretty much never take the lead or fall behind just on your racing skills. Each track has at least one turbo boost strip and at least one shortcut and you'll need these to get ahead of the other racers because just being a better driver isn't really possible. The three initial tracks don't have much interesting terrain to speak of.

It looks nice enough. The graphics are suitably cartoony and the music is bouncy and upbeat, if not really memorable. Just a really generic game all around.

And why can't I play as the Clome? It's better than a clone, it's a clome!

And then there's Xiaolin Showdown

I forgot to take pictures of this one. :sweatdrop:

It's a pretty standard 3D beat-em-up in an isometric view. You play as one of four characters: Omi, Kimiko, Clay or Raimundo, and must progress through each level beating up a few types of henchmen. There are standard punch, block and kick buttons and also combinations to throw enemies or to use special moves, which you can select before each stage. These require "chi" to power up, which you get by beating on enemies. A lot of beat-em-ups would use something like this as an ultimate, get out of stunlock free card. but these moves have short buildup times that render them not really useful for that. Not a complaint, just an observation. I played as everyone but Raimundo, and the differences aren't huge but they are there as far as I can tell. I had trouble jumping over a couple of pits as Clay, whereas I'm sure Kimiko would've made them easily.

You gain medallions which you can turn in at the end of each stage for points to buy new moves. It's a nifty idea though I'm sure it's been done elsewhere. Graphics have that cel-shaded cartoon-y look and get the job done. It's an alright game for what it is and if you're starving for a portable punchy game it's fine.

Now where it gets tricky to rate either of these games is basing them on a dollar amount. These were not originally part of my holiday plans. I got these on Ebay in a random junk accessories lot and thought they were just random boxes, so imagine my surprise. The lot cost $40 and there were a grand total of 23 items in it, so if you want to pro-rate that down per-item that leaves you with 90-something cents a pop. I've since made a little over $80 selling off about half of that lot. I'm sure I could math this out right and proper but lets just round off all the edges and say I was paid $2/ea to play these.

Worth-it-ness: :)

You'd probably pay about $10-$15 each for sealed copies of these. These aren't the top of my list but what am I gonna do, complain about free games? Hell yeah these were worth it.

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001

You can get smokemonster's Everdrive roms here (including N64): https://archive.org/download/TheEverdrivePacks

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Here you go.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
the gscartw and gcompsw are now available for a limited time http://www.gretrostuff.com/store/

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Piko Interactive bought 60 game IPs from Atari SA so look forward to reproduction carts from all your favorite tiny European developers that got bought by Infogrames in the late-90s coming soon?

quote:

Infogrames
Ocean Software
Legend Entertainment
Beam Software
Accolade
Hasbro Interactive
GT Interactive
Microprose/Spectrum Holobyte

They said they’ll produce new cartridges for the console games, port others from Atari ST to Jaguar, and start getting PC games up on Steam soon.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Hmm I thought I had 100% completed it, this is annoying, I don't have a gameshark, actually did back in the day but people kept breaking cartridges due to it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Luigi Thirty posted:

Piko Interactive bought 60 game IPs from Atari SA so look forward to reproduction carts from all your favorite tiny European developers that got bought by Infogrames in the late-90s coming soon?

They said they’ll produce new cartridges for the console games, port others from Atari ST to Jaguar, and start getting PC games up on Steam soon.

Oh poo poo if they got GT Interactive that means they own Doom 64 now

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!

It's hard to tell (photographing CRTs sucks) but that is the current BBC homepage on a Dreamcast :catdrugs: .

The year is now 2018, and what better way to ring it in than to go online with my Dreamcast for the first time since 2001?

Dreampi up and running! The dreampi is the cordy mess on top of the framemeister, I'm using the modem from http://www.dreamcastlive.net/shop.html that has the line voltage built in.

The craziest part of the whole process was booting up the Planet Web browser to configure the dial up settings for Dreampi, only to find that my old dialup information from 17 years ago was still there. This freaked me out a bit, because I'm not sure how the Dreamcast stores this information, it's definitely not on the VMU, and I'm on like my second clock battery since then, so I'd have figured the internal memory wouldn't have been preserved? :iiam:

As a web browser, it is nearly useless because most modern webpages won't load at all, and the ones that do look like garbage.

I logged onto Phantasy Star Online and there were 3 other people online! I never played that game online back in the day, had it for the original Xbox and only played split-screen, so it was interesting just to explore how it was setup, even if it is a bit of a ghost town. I guess there's a whole community being built around playing 6-7 different Dreamcast games online with private servers, it'll be interesting to check out later. I only played StarLancer online originally, and that only a couple times (I had to steal my family's dialup connection and run like a thirty foot phone line across the house, logistics weren't in my favor.)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Oh poo poo if they got GT Interactive that means they own Doom 64 now

I don't think they got those brands or everything associated with those brands, just games that were at some point tangentially connected to them, and I presume they're not posting a straight list of the games they bought because most of them are poo poo.

EDIT: Doom 64 was a Midway game and even so, Zenimax owns the IP and isn't going to let anyone re-release a Doom game based on a hand-me-down console contract from twenty years ago.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I'm somewhat peeved by the DreamPi and similar projects if only because it seems like less people bother to work on things that go with your existing computer nowadays, but rather expect you to use another spare PI to do these little tasks that used to be just "put a cheap modem in your PC and run this program" etc.

:oldmanyellsatcloud:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
You can do the Dreampi stuff with any linux computer that has a modem it seems, but they want you to use their stuff because they're selling it.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I am amazed that no one has made a knockoff Dreamcast BBA. Cheap plentiful BBAs coupled would entice people to mod in BBA support into games that didn’t have it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

the gscartw and gcompsw are now available for a limited time http://www.gretrostuff.com/store/

Thanks! Just ordered one

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Just got my PVM/SNES scart cables! It'll be awhile before I have a proper RGB setup (just moved so I'm pulling things in and out of storage), but I'm stoked to test things out and get started. It's been a slow process as I snagged a PVM back in October and am just now feeding it RGB video for the first time. :haw:

Monitorburn's a cool dude and helped make sure I was getting the right stuff, along with steering me in the right direction for some potential console mods in the future. :retrogames: Thanks man!!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I don't think they got those brands or everything associated with those brands, just games that were at some point tangentially connected to them, and I presume they're not posting a straight list of the games they bought because most of them are poo poo.

EDIT: Doom 64 was a Midway game and even so, Zenimax owns the IP and isn't going to let anyone re-release a Doom game based on a hand-me-down console contract from twenty years ago.

Yeah I assume this means we’ll be getting their original IPs, not a Doom 64 rerelease. Maybe I can finally find someone else who has played Legend’s Gateway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

Maybe I can finally find someone else who has played Legend’s Gateway?

I've played it. However, I don't remember anything about it, even if it matched the book decently.

I was just thinking of the Spellcasting x01 series the other day. That period where Legend was crossbreeding graphical adventures and text parsers was weird.