Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Rivers in the Desert is my favourite track in the game :rock:. It also gets played (MAJOR endgame spoilers) in the battle against the Holy Grail too.

And the bonus superboss fight. My friend described it as the theme for when you think you're saving the day but are actually about to make everything MUCH worse, but I would argue that this description could be applied to the majority of the soundtrack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
You can click on gates in War For The Overworld and disable certain minions from spawning there. Invaluable in levels where you're supposed to be a bit stealthy, and can't have the goddamned "I have flying so I must explore randomly" minions existing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I picked up PS4 party game Use Your Words which is pretty much Words That Follow only without internet submitted images. Each round you see a picture or a movie clip or a fill in the blank and you all write a caption then vote on it, but it also adds in one house answer that deducts points.

Apparently they keep that poo poo updated (at least for now) because an image of Santa with a sexy lady on it had the house answer of "Santa now accused of 40 sexual assaults" which put us on our toes because that was a far more topical answer than expected.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There's a shooting gallery mini game in evil within 2. Feeling quite pleased with my progress so far, I tried the Very Hard gun range. After a spectacularly poor run, the NPC who runs your safe room chips in.

"Don't worry Deceptive, it's just you and me in here. Nobody else will know what happened just now."

:negative:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Playing through A Hat In Time and oh my goodness, it's like a whole game made up of the little moments that I loved from all those old Nintendo games. If you have any love of kid-friendly platformers it's a must-play.

There's a bit quite early on where you meet Moustache Girl, a character who lives in Mafia Town (where all of the other inhabitants are Mafia enforcers), and the two of you become friends- as represented by a small meter filling up halfway and the word "Friends!" appearing during a cutscene. There's a later cutscene after you take down the Mafia Boss, where it is revealed that the items you're collecting have the power to reverse time. Moustache Girl begins musing on the possibilities, and then Hat Girl refuses to allow her to use them. Moustache Girl gets furious, promises to become Hat Girl's nemesis, and runs off. After she's gone, Hat Girl pats herself down, only to discover that Moustache Girl stole half of her current money. The meter reappears, and the bar breaks the frame, plummets off the negative axis all the way off-screen, before crashing and exploding, leaving only the word "Enemies!" behind in the same jovial font. Basically it's the most charming game I've played since Undertale and the first platformer since, like, Mario 64 where the simple act of moving around makes me feel this good.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I used to hate it, but I'm warming up to the nomenclature of Persona 5's spells, mainly because I'm reading an LP of another SMT game and I'm able to immediately catch on to who's using what.

Also I love that Gun being an element is just a thing in SMT apparently, and not just a goofy thing P5 did on it's own

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Danaru posted:

I used to hate it, but I'm warming up to the nomenclature of Persona 5's spells, mainly because I'm reading an LP of another SMT game and I'm able to immediately catch on to who's using what.

Also I love that Gun being an element is just a thing in SMT apparently, and not just a goofy thing P5 did on it's own

Traditionally physical damage was split into slashing, piercing and blunt. Piercing was guns and spears but they consolidated all that into melee and ranged (gun).

Probably for the best to not obsolete a party member cause a boss happened to be immune to fists but not swords.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Sorry for the derail - but why do Persona enemies change shape when a fight starts?

I saw a video of the game and the player character came up against some random human mooks who, when the fight started and they were all transported to the arena, suddenly turned into weird monsters.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Gorilla Salad posted:

Sorry for the derail - but why do Persona enemies change shape when a fight starts?

I saw a video of the game and the player character came up against some random human mooks who, when the fight started and they were all transported to the arena, suddenly turned into weird monsters.

From what I remember, the shadows you fight are their true forms. They're drawn to the Palace because of the influence of the ruler's shadow, and transformed into what the palace ruler thinks they should be (knights in a castle, security guards in a museum etc.) which is why they look like that outside of battle.That's the gist of it as far as I remember

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Danaru posted:

From what I remember, the shadows you fight are their true forms. They're drawn to the Palace because of the influence of the ruler's shadow, and transformed into what the palace ruler thinks they should be (knights in a castle, security guards in a museum etc.) which is why they look like that outside of battle.That's the gist of it as far as I remember
Also an enemy changing into a different enemy/a group of enemies when transitioning into battle is a thing JRPGs have always done and nobody even thinks about why anymore since everyone playing those games have gotten so used to it during, well, the entirety of time JRPGs have existed. Not that all of them do it, though. I do think the generic guards in P5 could be just patrolling personas/persona groups like in battle and it would be a lot cooler

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

:effort: Easier to make overworld models to fit a theme than to make a model for every enemy and model them walking/rolling/floating/slithering/etc around.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Danaru posted:

Yup. I'm really glad they brought back Nuclear as an element, too. Psychic is new (or at least I don't remember it from any other Persona game), and at least has a decent niche so it makes sense

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Danaru posted:

Persona 5's spell names aren't really as idiosyncratic as you may think, they're the same across every single SMT game.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Persona 5's spell names aren't really as idiosyncratic as you may think, they're the same across every single SMT game.

except zan/garu!!!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Isn't Zan Force? Or are Force and Wind the same? I can never remember.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Leavemywife posted:

Isn't Zan Force? Or are Force and Wind the same? I can never remember.

Zan is Force, Garu is Wind. I don't think both have ever been in the same game, so they're pretty much interchangeable. Garu seems to mostly stick with Persona, but it was also in Strange Journey.

My favourite little thing in SMT spell names is the spell Luster Candy, which casts one level of all three buffs: Rakukaja (defense), Sukukaja (evasion/hit rate) and Tarukaja (attack) on your entire party. Why is it called "Luster Candy"? That's the best equivalent they could find for the original Ra-Su-Ta Candy, from the stat names. :v:

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

Aithon posted:

Zan is Force, Garu is Wind. I don't think both have ever been in the same game, so they're pretty much interchangeable. Garu seems to mostly stick with Persona, but it was also in Strange Journey.

My favourite little thing in SMT spell names is the spell Luster Candy, which casts one level of all three buffs: Rakukaja (defense), Sukukaja (evasion/hit rate) and Tarukaja (attack) on your entire party. Why is it called "Luster Candy"? That's the best equivalent they could find for the original Ra-Su-Ta Candy, from the stat names. :v:

I would have went with Star Candy. Su-ta-ra.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Aithon posted:

lol cool. i've been wondering about that for ages

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Infested Planet is a fun little strategy game where you command a small squad of space marines invading a planet full if bug monsters where you kill an average of 10,000 bugs a mission--it's basically Starship Troopers (the release trailer is even a nod to the military recruitment videos in the film). It has a campaign with a generic story, but comes with skirmish modes and weekly challenges to keep you busy afterwards.

The AI is pretty great. Good at overwhelming and second guessing you. As you defeat enemy spawn points it mutates new defences and offenses to stop you. My PYF little thing is that on higher difficulties the AI becomes "malicious" and starts to purposely evolve to counter your strategies, making it an even greater challenge.

Oh, and even better is the most recent DLC I picked up in the Steam Winter Sale: Planetary Campaign. It adds a Risk-style world that you try to conquer versus the aliens. If you're familiar with the overworld maps in WH40k Dawn of War Dark Crusade, it's kinda like that. It has made the game far more replayable and I've been pushing myself to try and beat the AI on higher difficulties and larger maps.

Sally has a new favorite as of 22:12 on Jan 2, 2018

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Nightdive Studios just rereleased the 1996 CD-ROM adventure game Titanic: Adventure out of Time and I was just a kid when I originally played it and mostly just used a guide so I could explore the super accurate 3d version of the ship so a lot of the branching optional storylines and the time limit of the second half of the game was lost on me, but one thing I appreciate playing as an adult is how bonkers all the alt-history stuff gets in tying basically every major war and conflict of the first half of the 20th century in to the Titanic. Like one of the good endings is that one of Hitler's paintings is being transported on the ship and if you manage to get it and escape on a life boat with it in your inventory then the fact that it's one of the few surviving relics of the Titanic makes him so famous as an artist that he never gets into politics and WWII never happens.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Guy Mann posted:

Nightdive Studios just rereleased the 1996 CD-ROM adventure game Titanic: Adventure out of Time and I was just a kid when I originally played it and mostly just used a guide so I could explore the super accurate 3d version of the ship so a lot of the branching optional storylines and the time limit of the second half of the game was lost on me, but one thing I appreciate playing as an adult is how bonkers all the alt-history stuff gets in tying basically every major war and conflict of the first half of the 20th century in to the Titanic. Like one of the good endings is that one of Hitler's paintings is being transported on the ship and if you manage to get it and escape on a life boat with it in your inventory then the fact that it's one of the few surviving relics of the Titanic makes him so famous as an artist that he never gets into politics and WWII never happens.

No way for real? I've always wanted to play that game, but could never be arsed to search around with the abandonware stuff :buddy:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Danaru posted:

No way for real? I've always wanted to play that game, but could never be arsed to search around with the abandonware stuff :buddy:

Yeah, Nightdive kicks rear end at somehow managing to find the rights to 90s abandonware and getting it working on modern systems for a reasonable price. They're also the guys who rereleased I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream and Harvester, and they're publishing System Shock 3.

And I don't know how much is due to nostalgia + having all the solutions buried deep in my subconscious but it holds up pretty well. It feels a lot more like modern adventure games in that there's not that many puzzles and what ones there are are explicitly puzzles like decoding coded signals and messing with steam pressure valves instead of cathair mustache nonsense, and the multiple endings and lack of fail states make exploring and messing around with stuff much less punishing than other games from the era. You still gotta practice good save game hygeine and there's a little pixel hunting but it's definitely a neat piece of history.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Nightdive did Turok and Turok 2 Remastered which are basically perfect FPSes an are still being updated regularly. Turok 1 just got some new achievments, for example, sending completionists and achievement hunters into a frothing rage because they no longer have 100% in the game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I'm still saddened they weren't able to get No One Lives Forever because the rights are a giant mess between Fox and Warner Brothers.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Mokinokaro posted:

I'm still saddened they weren't able to get No One Lives Forever because the rights are a giant mess between Fox and Warner Brothers.

Yeah sadly NOLF is such a gigantic clusterfuck that it would be a goddamn miracle for NightDrive to secure the rights. Which is a shame because it's up there with my favorite FPS's.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Wasn’t there a legit source to download NoLF recently? Like it wasn’t a :file: thing.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

synthetik posted:

Wasn’t there a legit source to download NoLF recently? Like it wasn’t a :file: thing.

To the best of my understanding, this is okay.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I just picked up Heat Signature today and I can't even explain just how effortlessly cool it makes you feel. There's something just really rad about taking out an assassination target by exploding a fuel tank or shattering a window and sucking everyone in the general vicinity out into space.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Agents of Mayhem is a game that got kinda criminally overlooked, I feel; it was in the midst of a ton of great games in an overall great year, looked a little dated, and was in an awkward point where it wasn't what people wanted from the developer but was close enough to draw comparisons it was inevitably going to lose. But I picked it up super cheap, and it's fantastic for picking it up for $20 Australian.

The best part of it is definitely the way they do most of the mission/character introductory cinematics, which are all animated in a very G.I. Joe or Transformers style. The entire game has that feel, of a Saturday morning cartoon all grown up (the best comparison is Blood Dragon, and AoM does it so much better it's crazy), and it really nails it by starting with and constantly using actual high-quality animation.

Also, the guy that voices Balthier from Final Fantasy XII is your Knight Rider-style vehicle AI, and that's also the best part.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

marshmallow creep posted:

To the best of my understanding, this is okay.

Those are ultimately still :files: but the games are functionally abandonware if nobody can properly claim the rights to start selling them again.

Cleretic posted:

Agents of Mayhem

Even removing the Saints Row expectations (which are partly their own fault - game's dripping with references and has a bunch of returning characters) it's a mess, but ultimately a likeable mess. I really hope they bounce back from it stronger and manage to wow folks with a AoM2 because it feels like it would only take a little more push to get the AoM formula right.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I should finish Agents of Mayhem someday.

One pretty great thing is that often, the entrance to one of the secret generic evil lair locations around the city is something mundane (a parking pylon, maybe; a delivery truck whose entire back half is lifted up to allow access; a bike that conceals an elevator into the earth) and it contributes to that indulgent Saturday morning cartoon-esque feeling.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Even removing the Saints Row expectations (which are partly their own fault - game's dripping with references and has a bunch of returning characters) it's a mess, but ultimately a likeable mess. I really hope they bounce back from it stronger and manage to wow folks with a AoM2 because it feels like it would only take a little more push to get the AoM formula right.

So hope for another Saints Row/Saints Row 2 lightning in a bottle moment?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Randalor posted:

So hope for another Saints Row/Saints Row 2 lightning in a bottle moment?

This is Volition we're talking about. 'Red Faction and Freespace' Volition.

A total earth-shatterer of a sequel is basically what they're best at.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
A few tightened nuts and a bit more dungeon variety would have made AoM a real belter. My (probably unpopular) opinion with that game was to drop the open world element entirely (or make smaller hubs) and focus on the dungeons, picking them from a "world map" and make them REAL zany and weird with an Egyptian themed villain, a Decker style villain where everything is cyber and so on. With the way everything else was played up to 11 with regards to it being GI Joe the bases/dungeons were real sterile.

Returned to Arkham Knight and barring the car I love all the little things in it. I rolled my eyes at first when they made Joker into batman's Navi, but obviously Hamill is just a delight to listen to and it really clicks. Especially with the Sanity effects kick off and he pops up everywhere.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Drunken Baker posted:

A few tightened nuts and a bit more dungeon variety would have made AoM a real belter. My (probably unpopular) opinion with that game was to drop the open world element entirely (or make smaller hubs) and focus on the dungeons, picking them from a "world map" and make them REAL zany and weird with an Egyptian themed villain, a Decker style villain where everything is cyber and so on. With the way everything else was played up to 11 with regards to it being GI Joe the bases/dungeons were real sterile.

If done right, that would've been awesome. The city felt completely superfluous. They could've replaced it with more level variety for sure. Hell, if they still want some sandbox, make 4-5 smaller sandboxes based on cities in different areas of the world and cut driving vehicles so the scale isn't as much of an issue.

And yeah, I felt Joker actually worked really well in Arkham Knight. He was a definite highlight of the game by the end.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Drunken Baker posted:

Returned to Arkham Knight and barring the car I love all the little things in it. I rolled my eyes at first when they made Joker into batman's Navi, but obviously Hamill is just a delight to listen to and it really clicks. Especially with the Sanity effects kick off and he pops up everywhere.

Along with how he starts sneaking into fights in the later parts of the story, I think he starts looking healthier as the game goes on too.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016
I felt like City was a good sign-off for the Joker and kind of rolled my eyes at his return in Origins, but I couldn't help but appreciate Hamill's performance in Knight. I still wished the writing had been braver than just going back to the Joker well again, but I'm still satisfied with what we got.

Also my PC dodged all the performance issues and ran the game like a dream, so overall a good experience.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cleretic posted:

This is Volition we're talking about. 'Red Faction and Freespace' Volition.

A total earth-shatterer of a sequel is basically what they're best at.

They're a shell of what they once were, don't expect another sr2 any time soon :(

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

betamax hipster posted:

I still wished the writing had been braver than just going back to the Joker well again, but I'm still satisfied with what we got.

That's what I hated about Origins. MORE Joker! Especially as it felt like it was going for the Knightfall storyline and Bane just turned out to be a cog in the wheel. Sucked. (If I'm remembering that right.) And I felt the same at the start of Knight, but did a complete 180 at some point.

RareAcumen posted:

Along with how he starts sneaking into fights in the later parts of the story, I think he starts looking healthier as the game goes on too.

Holy smokes! Maybe I'm not as close to the end as I thought...

Oh, wait... No, I get what you mean now. I thought you meant you started doing "double takedowns" with your imaginary friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

They're a shell of what they once were, don't expect another sr2 any time soon :(

I feel like Deep Silver really mishandled the acquisition of Volition because they seemed to be really pushing them to become a AAA hitmaker when they really didn't have the resources for that even with them bringing on a second team. Agents of Mayhem already looks and feels pretty midbudget, if they had handled the development more efficiently and not pushed it as a full $60 title it probably would have done a lot better, especially since the price dropped like a stone almost immediately after release anyways.