Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Neurolimal posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons-Nolzurs-Marvelous-Unpainted/dp/B06XKLF9WL
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B076BTJ7B9

Technically different lines but same producer and identical packaging, they come pre-primed which is nice. Both come in pairs; a hunched scrawny looking gnoll, and a larger 'heroic' gnoll. It might be a Pathfinder thing because Reaper has pathfinder gnolls and they follow a similar trend.

By the way, I heavily recommend this video for cloning bits you already have:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVZLXLaidjQ

I know I can get Oyumaru off of Amazon, but what putty is he using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I know I can get Oyumaru off of Amazon, but what putty is he using?

Looks like it's bog-standard plumber's Epoxy putty; same deal as Green Stuff or Tamiya's putty or Kneadatite. You mix the two compounds and the mix becomes very tacky, then after a half-hour or so has the same grip as typical clay, then hardens further over time. Very commonly used for miniatures because of how simple it is to work with.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I love this. Where can I find that model?

Sorry I missed this. That is a flames of war I-153 Chaika

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Thanks! I'll look into it.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

On this most recent round of airbrush priming, I definitely figured out my issue from before. I wasn't putting enough of the primer on, just barely covering it, and it was scratching easily. This time I did a solid black undercoat on everything, then zenithal white and the primer is rock solid.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Finally got round to painting up Khalida:

My TK so far:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
That cape is gorgeous, well done!

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

My TK so far:

What's your technique for those desert bases?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Neurolimal posted:

That cape is gorgeous, well done!

Thanks!

Two Beans posted:

What's your technique for those desert bases?

Buy resin ones from Micro Art Studio :v: Except for the bone giant, which I tried to replicate the resin ones by building up dunes with texture paint and then gluing fine sand over the top. Paint-wise it's zamesi desert, with sepia wash in the shaded part under the dunes, and ushabti bone drybrushed all over with some white at the peak.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
That is fantastic work! I'm a big fan of Egyptian-style paint schemes that go heavy on the lapis lazuli.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Oh man, that cape. Really great job on it. I like your sand bases as well.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I don't think I've ever seen anyone paint her snake before.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Neurolimal posted:

Looks like it's bog-standard plumber's Epoxy putty; same deal as Green Stuff or Tamiya's putty or Kneadatite. You mix the two compounds and the mix becomes very tacky, then after a half-hour or so has the same grip as typical clay, then hardens further over time. Very commonly used for miniatures because of how simple it is to work with.

I was curious as to which formulation, since IIRC different types of putty can have different results. I'll give it a shot with my Green Stuff.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
I typically use a 1:2 mix of green stuff and some generic grey epoxy clay if I'm cloning something at least the size of a limb or a hero-scale rifle. The green stuff takes detail better, but on its own tends to be too flexible and doesn't file/sand cleanly for cleaning up mold flash. You could also do a non-homogenous combination just pressing green stuff into detailed areas and filling the rest with a harder epoxy.

The other nice thing with blue stuff is I've found it cuts really nicely with a modelling knife so if the shape isn't too crazy you can just form it entirely around the piece and cut it afterwards for an easy two part mold.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Dr. Gargunza posted:

That is fantastic work! I'm a big fan of Egyptian-style paint schemes that go heavy on the lapis lazuli.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Oh man, that cape. Really great job on it. I like your sand bases as well.

Thanks dudes :)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I don't have much experience with generic putty, but tamiya's epoxy takes to sanding really well, if that's a concern.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I grabbed some Oyumaru and superfine Milliput to play around with on Friday. Mostly I'm trying to goof around with tabards so we'll see how it turns out. I may actually like the green stuff better for a particular application I'm doing.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I wanted to paint my dead guard in the original horus heresy colors and while looking for ways (fast and easy, sweet jesus there is a lot of detail) of doing this, I stumbled on a youtube video of a german dude who does the base layer in a weird dry-brushy, 'dapping' way, with an old hosed up brush. It seems a lot easier and faster than what I've done so far when painting - two thin coats and all - but also gets a seemingly really smooth surface. I don't understand a lick of what he is saying though, so maybe it's qualified in some way, and maybe I'm missing something seeing as I'm just starting out.

I guess I could gently caress up a brush and just try it out, but wondering if anyone could enlighten me, as to whether it really is as easy and smooth as it looks? - Starts at 7 minutes here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR7gwyw6KyU&t=420s

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I wanted to paint my dead guard in the original horus heresy colors and while looking for ways (fast and easy, sweet jesus there is a lot of detail) of doing this, I stumbled on a youtube video of a german dude who does the base layer in a weird dry-brushy, 'dapping' way, with an old hosed up brush. It seems a lot easier and faster than what I've done so far when painting - two thin coats and all - but also gets a seemingly really smooth surface. I don't understand a lick of what he is saying though, so maybe it's qualified in some way, and maybe I'm missing something seeing as I'm just starting out.

I guess I could gently caress up a brush and just try it out, but wondering if anyone could enlighten me, as to whether it really is as easy and smooth as it looks? - Starts at 7 minutes here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR7gwyw6KyU&t=420s

Interesting. I actually have a couple snap fit DG models. I'm going to try this out. I think it doesn't really matter how you put the basecoat on, it just has to be thinned somewhat and even. Because watching the video, his first go isn't getting much coverage. But the end result is a bright base coat.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I started doing something very similar to this recently actually.

Lord Duncan has an example of it in the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gevL5Rvn0Jc

Basically, it's sorta like airbrushing at that point. You don't even thin it, but you just make sure its pretty dry so it's not going on thick and smack the gently caress out of it. It turns out really smooth, even on large areas.

I have an airbrush but I was getting frustrated with it and started doing this for extremely mindless basecoats.

EDIT: I do it for tyranids, and I go right from a light grey primer to Screaming Skull, and it comes out smooth and beautiful even with chalky white paints.

Salynne fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 3, 2018

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Essentially he's saying to carefully dab it on in several layers. And It doesn't have to be completely neat or even because it's a rancid plague marine.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

I love the colours on this, whats your reciple for the blue?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Miles O'Brian posted:

I love the colours on this, whats your reciple for the blue?

Cheers! It's sotek green, wash with coelia greenshade, then highlights with temple guard blue and baharroth blue.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Cheers! It's sotek green, wash with coelia greenshade, then highlights with temple guard blue and baharroth blue.

This is the best recipe for blue. I used the same on my stuff.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Someone on a stream posted this link for helping do NMM and blending in general. I wish I had this before I started my current mini.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/aL4JR

Had to share it because god drat.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
BuffaloChicken was in my neck of the woods and after a few beers I decided I wanted to convert something. 3 months later, I finished painting this dude:

While waiting on paints to dry on the Apothecary, I painted up this Amber Wizard today too:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Really tangential, but this reminded me I've been wanting to try learning German, so I signed up for a class.

Less tangentially, I'm painting up this troll, and a buddy suggested a leonine paint scheme, since the tail looks a bit lionish. I was thinking that I might try sculpting some hair on him as a mane. However, I've done very little sculpting, so I was wondering if any one has a good guide on the subject.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I need a cyber-mastiff for a retarded character idea I just had while I was buying breakfast. Anyone knows where to find one that wouldn't look out of place next to a 40k miniature?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Can I interest you in a post-apocalyptic great dane? They do have a cyborg version, but it's probably more anthroporphic than you're looking for.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ayn Marx posted:

I need a cyber-mastiff for a retarded character idea I just had while I was buying breakfast. Anyone knows where to find one that wouldn't look out of place next to a 40k miniature?

If you can find a copy the forgeworld imperial enforcer has a cool cyber dog.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
:siren: https://www.facebook.com/BadgerAir/posts/1585389394872079 :siren:

for all you ameri-goons, Badger has a pretty wild sale via their facebook.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Frobbe posted:

:siren: https://www.facebook.com/BadgerAir/posts/1585389394872079 :siren:

for all you ameri-goons, Badger has a pretty wild sale via their facebook.

Something seems off about the email, but that is the legit facebook page.

Is the sotar still the best choice for a superfine detail brush from them? I have a patriot for basecoats already.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
So I bought something from CoolMinisOrNot last month. On December 5th to be exact. They took my money on December 7th. All I've been giving are some very canned responses, not really answering my concerns when putting in a support ticket.

Are they known for being godawful and a Do Not Buy From website despite having good forums?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Does badger sell any good precision brushes? I'm happy with my Master for base coats and zenithal work.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Arthil posted:

So I bought something from CoolMinisOrNot last month. On December 5th to be exact. They took my money on December 7th. All I've been giving are some very canned responses, not really answering my concerns when putting in a support ticket.

Are they known for being godawful and a Do Not Buy From website despite having good forums?

I've only had experience through their Kickstarters. I've had good luck, but I've heard other people have had issues getting their stuff. That said, if the e-mails were going through around the holidays, they might've been short-manned. You might also look into alternate ways of getting in contact like their Facebook. Sometimes putting your issues out in public can kickstart some action.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I already have a Krome; if I wanted to drop $54 on a new brush what would be a good complement to it?

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

JackMann posted:

I've only had experience through their Kickstarters. I've had good luck, but I've heard other people have had issues getting their stuff. That said, if the e-mails were going through around the holidays, they might've been short-manned. You might also look into alternate ways of getting in contact like their Facebook. Sometimes putting your issues out in public can kickstart some action.

I'm more just annoyed that they took payment before shipping the item honestly. Whether this is resolved or not, I definitely won't be buying from them again.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
God the Badger web site is unusable.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Neurolimal posted:

Does badger sell any good precision brushes? I'm happy with my Master for base coats and zenithal work.

Check Amazon for Badger's Sotar 20/20. That's a fine detail airbrush that's frequently used by pro calligraphers. If you're lucky, you can get a really good deal on it; I picked mine up for about $75 a few years back. (You'll likely need an adapter for the air hose, but Badger customer service can help you pick one out.)

e: The Krome was mentioned above; I don't have any experience with that one. Is that the "AK-47 of airbrushes," or am I thinking of something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
My Patriot just showed up from Amazon Prime where I payed $76 and I still feel like it was the better decision than some hassle and sketchy PayPal nonsense to save maybe $15.