Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

comedyblissoption posted:

the NYT was sounding the trumpets of war and was very pro-Iraq War leading up to the invasion

they had front-page above the fold headlines pushing for the Iraq War

it doesn't matter that they had more ~decorum~ when pushing conservative state mouthpieces uncritically

it was a relative thing, really. i remember the coverage of the anti-war demonstrations before the war exceptionally well. The local Tulsa World showed a picture of the NY crowd that was zoomed in so much you could only see about 20 people. The nytimes showed a more zoomed out picture, showing around a thousand demonstrators. So the nytimes was about 50x more liberal than the other print media sources I had access to at the time.

Years later I saw a picture of that demonstration that ran in the foreign press. The whole demonstration had over 100,000 people, and the protest filled several blocks when photographed in full. So the nytimes managed to appear like a lefty publication to a teenager in OK, while effectively silencing the magnitude of popular dissent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Upton Sinclair posted:

A professional journalist may be defined as a man who holds himself ready at a day's notice to adjust his opinions to the pocket-book of a new owner. I have heard Arthur Brisbane remark that the "New York Times" was sold on several occasions, and on each occasion its "editor" was sold with it. Yet when you read this "editor's" preachments, they are all so solemn and dignified, high-sounding and moral--you would never dream but that you were reading actual opinions of a man!

The Brass Check is really a pro-read, it sounds like the forerunner to Manufacturing Consent. What really makes it good is the systematic way it discusses what the media will and will not print, especially as it relates to silencing the scandals of the rich and powerful.

Also, a hundred years ago, the AP had a monopoly on the news telegraph service, to the point where it could keep news from Colorado contained within the state for weeks, preventing even the president of the united states from learning about the events they censored. They also paid off telegraph operators to give them copies of anything newsworthy that was cabled on the entire network. So things have gotten a lot better from the introduction of the internet at least.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/946619871311392768

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Your senile, violent ramblings...they make a lot of sense, to me. they’re good

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

I wonder how much traction you can get with the chuds by telling them profit is a trade imbalance.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

you should tell them that these aren't chinese factories. these are multinational american factories. the policies have nothing to do with some great malicious china stealing american jobs. the policies are the greed of american capitalists who don't care about their countrymen and also ultimately the economic system.

the policies are also not trade. it's only trade if you think ford shipping parts between wisconsin and michigan to build cars entirely inside of their own command economy counts as trade. changing the borders to another country for cheaper labor while still employing under a ford-owned plant doesn't suddenly make the situation trade.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

comedyblissoption posted:

you should tell them that these aren't chinese factories. these are multinational american factories. the policies have nothing to do with some great malicious china stealing american jobs. the policies are the greed of american capitalists who don't care about their countrymen and also ultimately the economic system.

the policies are also not trade. it's only trade if you think ford shipping parts between wisconsin and michigan to build cars entirely inside of their own command economy counts as trade. changing the borders to another country for cheaper labor while still employing under a ford-owned plant doesn't suddenly make the situation trade.

You're trying to exploit a nationalistic narrative, when the point is to get them to hate capitalism itself.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I wonder how much traction you can get with the chuds by telling them profit is a trade imbalance.

probably alot to those not in management.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Lawman 0 posted:

probably alot to those not in management.

I think you guys are seriously overestimating the reasoning skills of the average CHUD

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dreddout posted:

I think you guys are seriously overestimating the reasoning skills of the average CHUD

there isn't a whole lot to the reasoning of "profit is a trade imbalance." it's very simple and reframes things along terminology they're already familiar with.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

there isn't a whole lot to the reasoning of "profit is a trade imbalance." it's very simple and reframes things along terminology they're already familiar with.

wut if it means prices could be even lower not wages higher

wut about amazon that makes no profit but is capped at like half a trillion dollars

you sound like you just short circuited your own marxist brain, smugly

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

it's actually good that all the manufacturing has moved to china, because there the factories are theoretically owned by the people. suck it firstworldailures

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

so is maggie haberman the most aggressive whiner who works at nyt or do i just see more people respond to/quote her tweets

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

so is maggie haberman the most aggressive whiner who works at nyt or do i just see more people respond to/quote her tweets

most aggresive whiner at nyt is definitely either bret stephens, whose columns and other writing are at least half him complaining about people being mean to him when they criticize his extremely racist and misogynist writing and global warming denial

it was very impressive he was able to capture that crown of nonstop whining when people criticize his lovely opinions from david brooks so quickly

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Dreddout posted:

You're assumption is they would attempt to reason in the first place.

Unless they are first introduced to something by a talking head they are already comfortable with, they are gonna reject the proposition out of hand.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Badger of Basra posted:

I think she gets a lion share of the twitter attention because she's closely associated with Trump, given her access to him.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/SeanMcElwee/status/947546526674538497

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol a buncha old nyt staff are mad about The Post not being about how they broke the pentagon papers story

e: link

H.P. Hovercraft has issued a correction as of 21:53 on Dec 31, 2017

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

i continue to be surprised at how much bad content the times puts out

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Shear Modulus posted:

most aggresive whiner at nyt is definitely either bret stephens, whose columns and other writing are at least half him complaining about people being mean to him when they criticize his extremely racist and misogynist writing and global warming denial

it was very impressive he was able to capture that crown of nonstop whining when people criticize his lovely opinions from david brooks so quickly

between Bret Stephens, Bari Weiss, and Lindy West, the new op-ed guy Bennet at the Times sure can pick some great writers who know how to handle criticism well

(hahahahahahahahah no, they just lump in all valid critiques as anti-Semitic or sexist/fatphobic)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Troy Queef posted:

between Bret Stephens, Bari Weiss, and Lindy West, the new op-ed guy Bennet at the Times sure can pick some great writers who know how to handle criticism well

(hahahahahahahahah no, they just lump in all valid critiques as anti-Semitic or sexist/fatphobic)

the last issue of the baffler had a piece i kind of enjoyed about the sad failing new york times' lovely new editor of the editorial page. not only in hiring a bunch of the worst columnists he can find but also just consistently printing garbage.

https://thebaffler.com/salvos/the-opinionator-linkins

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/1NewsNZ/status/...hington-post-ad

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Literally paid for by Rabbi Shmuley Boteach.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
If supporting the BDS movement is anti-semitism, then you can call me Hitler.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ok, Mr. Hitler.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

good thing lords isn't 21 then

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

C. Everett Koop posted:

good thing lords isn't 21 then

i'm still impressed a 45-year-old geologist from Colorado puts out that kind of music

also I agree with ate poo poo on live TV re: BDS, and would argue that the constant conflating of the two movements actually pushes more people towards holding actual anti-Semitic opinions

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
that they're sweating BDS means that poo poo is working

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Troy Queef posted:

i'm still impressed a 45-year-old geologist from Colorado puts out that kind of music

also I agree with ate poo poo on live TV re: BDS, and would argue that the constant conflating of the two movements actually pushes more people towards holding actual anti-Semitic opinions

growth of actual anti-semitism helps likudniks increase their power just like anti-americanism helps neocons.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Troy Queef posted:

if you can't oppose the policies of a country without also thinking a bunch of racist poo poo about the people who live there, you're probably scum

the conflating is dumb and lovely, but if you have anti-Semitic opinions don't loving blame them on BDS or the Israeli government!

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/investmntwanker/status/948235085588914176

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/londonoe/status/948233734343528448

This post reads tongue-in-cheek to me, but I know nothing about this guy so :shrug:

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/01/opinion/ai-and-big-data-could-power-a-new-war-on-poverty.html

quote:

Third, a concerted effort to drag education and job training and matching into the 21st century ought to remove the reliance of a substantial portion of the population on government programs designed to assist struggling Americans.

love to alleviate poverty by cutting benefit programs and automating teaching jobs.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GoluboiOgon posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/01/opinion/ai-and-big-data-could-power-a-new-war-on-poverty.html

love to alleviate poverty by cutting benefit programs and automating teaching jobs.

a MOOC in every cardboard box the homeless children are sleeping out of

Elisabeth A. Mason is the founding director of the Stanford Poverty and Technology Lab and a senior adviser at the Stanford Center on Poverty and Inequality.

love when an op-ed is a thinly veiled advertisement for the thing the writer works at

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
are 100% of opeds garbage or just 99%?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the way to use data to alleviate poverty

is to take that data

in put it in fewer centers

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

got any sevens posted:

are 100% of opeds garbage or just 99%?

100% of published NYT op-eds are garbage, because the good one's aren't allowed in.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

100% of published NYT op-eds are garbage, because the good one's aren't allowed in.

i think they ran one by bernie once

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Which should tell you everything you need to know about Bernie Panders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

https://twitter.com/cgreensit/status/948504493192351745