Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Phanatic posted:

The car's going to depreciate anyway, no matter what you do with it, so if you're going to count depreciation as a flat hit against wages then you should also account for the fact that a lot of an Uber driver's expenses are deductible ones. When you started at $16/hour and wound up at $6/hour did you include deductions for depreciation, loan interest, registration fees, gas, maintenance, insurance, parking fees, etc?

(NB: Assuming driving is pretty much a full-time job, if you're just doing it here and there your deductions for that stuff would be pretty minimal and you'd probably be better off just taking the standard mileage deduction.

No way does gas and maintenance run $5-$9 per hour, no way.

I can't imagine someone driving for Uber is going to be able to deduct anywhere close to 12k, including everything you just mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Rick Rickshaw posted:

She seems fairly well adjusted, and if she is reasonably attractive at all, this is the answer.

If she was a few years older, then she's pushing her luck, but at 27 she still has time to hit the gym hard and go on the prowl for an upgrade.

:biotruths: much? Even if she was a few years older, I'm sure she'd do fine looking for a better man than the future Lyft driver

Drunk Tomato posted:

Move to Seattle; successful women dating oily guys who smell like cat piss farther than the eye can see!

I'm not sure why, there are more men than women here. Unless the oily, cat piss smelling guys are tech bros... then at least they are making 100k+

gariig fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 3, 2018

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

gariig posted:

:biotruths: much? Even if she was a few years older, I'm sure she'd do fine looking for a better man than the future Lyft driver

People ignore the :biotruths: at their peril. It's just a bigger roll of the dice at 30 than at 27 is all I'm saying.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Rick Rickshaw posted:

The next 5-10 years is going to be really interesting to watch as the slacker boyfriend leech that is so common now becomes the slacker husband leech, and the breadwinning stressed out girlfriend becomes the breadwinning stressed out wife and mother.

Breadwinning stressed out divorced single mother, you mean.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Women have always carried the slack for men. Men only were breadwinners because the rules were rigged in our favor.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824660&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Being an insufferable shitlord is bwm. I don't have any exact reason why, but it is.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Hoodwinker posted:

Being an insufferable shitlord is bwm. I don't have any exact reason why, but it is.

Because not playing nice with others is often a reason that a person gets passed over for promotions?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

hypnophant posted:

TCO is over 50¢/mile for the average sedan so you only need to average 10 miles per hour for this to be true, and I'm sure most Uber drivers are over that if they're making more than minimum wage. Yes it's deductible but you wouldn't even be over the standard deduction until you've driven more than 12,000 24,000 miles

Edit: not even factoring in commercial insurance

Edit: new tax rules

No that isn't how deducting business expenses on a schedule C works, there is no standard deduction for business expenses. It's a totally separate calculation than the personal income standard deduction on the 1040.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Sirotan posted:

A solution so easy, there's even an emoticon for it:

:sever:

yep

quote:

I really appreciate everyone’s advice. Long story short, he quit his job without notice today and without another job lined up, so I broke up with him. I’m stressed and overwhelmed and have no idea how I’m going to afford rent at this place for another 8 months on my own but here we are! Thanks everyone who took the time to read and comment.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Just search for Lularoe on GoFundMe, there are SO MANY of these.

This woman needs an intervention.

This woman (yes, a woman wrote this) is using the tried-and-true "haha rape" marketing method.

Bad With Money: We call that the "anal" wine.......you're welcome!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Youth Decay posted:

This woman (yes, a woman wrote this) is using the tried-and-true "haha rape" marketing method.

:magical:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Holy poo poo.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I don't often physically react to a post, especially here in BWM but holy loving poo poo I frowned so hard my face hurts now.

edit: I hope whomever took the original screencap actually reported that.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 3, 2018

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

silicone thrills posted:

I don't often physically react to a post, especially here in BWM but holy loving poo poo I frowned so hard my face hurts now.

edit: I hope whomever took the original screencap actually reported that.

Yeah it was reported by multiple people to Traveling Vineyards corporate which apparently has a standard script reply for poo poo like this

Traveling Vineyards posted:

[NAME], we’d like to thank you for bringing this post to our attention and we sincerely apologize for the vulgar and offensive nature of this post. It goes against our values as a company and against Wine Guide policy. We want you to know that we in no way promote messaging of this kind. We are in contact with this Wine Guide and taking steps to have this content removed as soon as possible. The situation is also under review by our team at headquarters. Again, we apologize and we are taking this very seriously. We appreciate you reporting the matter.
The post was deleted by the author at least.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

KingSlime posted:

Yeah these stories really run counter to the pervasive idea that women are gold digging parasites out to pilfer our treasures. Women my age are largely more educated than men my age, especially in Texas

Everytime one of my Angry Boi friends starts going on a dumbshit mysogonistic rant I point out to him that my males friends are universally much bigger losers than my female friends, often relying on gf's money to get by or help smooth over dumb life decisions. Anecdotal evidence and all but I think it's important to point out these examples when someone gets too extreme

Though sometimes they just double down and claim that "it's so much easier for girls" or something.

Anyways as we age this is definitely gonna become much more apparent

Yeah, but according to the nice guys, women enjoy being with violent felons/general lowlifes. :shrug:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I read it again and wow there is no subtlety at all in any of it.

Also my brain wants anal wine some to be in some way related to butt chugging or a fruit juice enema that is subsequently used to make some wine in prison because either would be less disturbing.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Youth Decay posted:

Just search for Lularoe on GoFundMe, there are SO MANY of these.

This woman needs an intervention.

Holy gently caress. To all of this.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Rick Rickshaw posted:

The gold-digging parasite idea is based in some truth, but is the minority, especially these days. Most women, especially as they get older and find themselves still single, just want someone who can carry their own weight.

Eh, there is a lot of truth to it. Being attracted to people who have money or financial security doesn't necessarily make you a parasite though.

I have a friend who did online dating during graduate school, and after he graduated and got a job in the tech industry, he said his response rate dramatically went up, after he listed in his profile that he wasn't a student anymore and now was working for a tech company. It was like night and day, he said.

Financial security/money is attractive to both men and women. I think that statement is pretty uncontroversial, and we don't have to be committed to denying it due to it maybe being ideologically inconvenient.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

silence_kit posted:

Eh, there is a lot of truth to it. Being attracted to people who have money or financial security doesn't necessarily make you a parasite though.

I have a friend who did online dating during graduate school, and after he graduated and got a job in the tech industry, he said his response rate dramatically went up, after he listed in his profile that he wasn't a student anymore and now was working for a tech company. It was like night and day, he said.

Financial security/money is attractive to both men and women. I think that statement is pretty uncontroversial, and we don't have to be committed to denying it due to it maybe being ideologically inconvenient.

My view is that everything is fine as long as both parties are under no disillusions about what the relationship is based on. In many cases it's as much the guy's fault that he can't see the truth as it is "gold-digging". While the woman may like some of his less tangible qualities that give him a one-up against men who are of similar income, he needs to understand his income is the number one factor. Without it, and his willingness to spend it, he's nothing.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I think the best relationships are between equal contributors to a relationship, and the mutual understanding of what that entails.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Exactly, anal wine works both ways :colbert:

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
There is a cryptocurrency infection going around the office. At least two people have bought $4000+ mining rigs. Their calculations say they will break even in a year.

Something called ripple has shot up in price and now they are all buying more ripple now that the price is high.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Anal Wine would be a great grindcore band name.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I figure the band Anal oval office has all the good, relevant material locked up already. I should've put good and material in scare quotes, though.

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Oh, the glory days of when we used to ban for this.

Amen, my 2001 reg date brother. 17 years in a couple days for me!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

hypnophant posted:

TCO is over 50¢/mile for the average sedan so you only need to average 10 miles per hour for this to be true, and I'm sure most Uber drivers are over that if they're making more than minimum wage. Yes it's deductible but you wouldn't even be over the standard deduction until you've driven more than 12,000 24,000 miles

Edit: not even factoring in commercial insurance

Edit: new tax rules

I can’t find the original article I read on how the tax bill will help the gig economy (awful term), but here’s an article that pretty much sums it up:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2017/12/22/the-gig-economy-gets-its-own-tax-break/rLU6WQQZ7fiMQAMx0ep4IM/story.html

20% of income becomes non taxable, and they can set themselves up to be a pass through and I’m assuming pay lower taxes on that remaining 80% income?

The original article i read brought up the good points that while free lancing could get you better tax rates, you don’t exactly get employer benefits like health, unemployment, 401k, etc, but who needs to factor that into income right?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

therobit posted:

I read it again and wow there is no subtlety at all in any of it.

Also my brain wants anal wine some to be in some way related to butt chugging or a fruit juice enema that is subsequently used to make some wine in prison because either would be less disturbing.

I thought Anal Wine was the song Captain von Trapp sings in the Sound of Music.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
How much anal wine do you need to keep your wife in a multi day stupor because I don't think that works when she wakes up and questions "what the gently caress did you do?"

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Abort thread abort

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

How much anal wine do you need to keep your wife in a multi day stupor because I don't think that works when she wakes up and questions "what the gently caress did you do?"

While we are at it how much GHB can you take for how long before you start having seizures?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Anal wine is all fun and games until the bottle breaks :smith:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Is "butt chugging" a thing that I learned from the forums?

edit: it doesn't seem to be on the SAclopedia and I'm surely not putting that into Google at work.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

edit: it doesn't seem to be on the SAclopedia and I'm surely not putting that into Google at work.

I remember it from a thread a few years back. Some dumb high school kids were trying to drink vodka by shooting it up their asses so they wouldn't pop on a breathalyzer.

Jake Mustache
Feb 7, 2017

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I forget the incident, some fraternity hazing or other college shenanigans, but a lawyer was on camera at a press event a while back to say his client did not force anyone to buttchug beers, or that his client committed some offense because he was under the influence of buttchugged alcohol.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

gariig posted:

I'm not sure why, there are more men than women here. Unless the oily, cat piss smelling guys are tech bros... then at least they are making 100k+

No self-respecting woman would want to date a loving NERD.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Drunk Tomato posted:

No self-respecting woman would want to date a loving GOON.
Fixed this for us all.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
There was also an old man that died after his wife helped him buttchug too much brandy. He was an alcoholic that had ruined his esophageal tract so he couldn't drink. IIRC she was charged with manslaughter but the charges were later dropped.

Not a goon, just some schmoe. But wouldn't be surprised at all if it was a goon.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm imagining anal wine to be a light crisp white. Maybe a Pinot Grigio.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm imagining anal wine to be a light crisp white. Maybe a Pinot Grigio.

I'm pretty sure anal wine is MD2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Duckman2008 posted:

20% of income becomes non taxable, and they can set themselves up to be a pass through and I’m assuming pay lower taxes on that remaining 80% income?

Hahahahaha... here's some light reading for you: https://www.forbes.com/sites/anthon...n/#338ed13c44fd