Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Status update: Fiji is a goddamn beast and I should have got one ages ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Yup it's the highlight of the RN CL line. I'm seriously considering selling my minotaur and buying Fiji back now that everyone at high tier carries a radar and shoot at smoke cloud.

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

5 crates: Mutsu, Molotov and Warspite :v:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

bloom posted:

Status update: Fiji is a goddamn beast and I should have got one ages ago.

Back in tier 7 ranked it was the best non-premium cruiser and probably the best non-premium ship period.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Astroclassicist posted:

5 crates: Mutsu, Molotov and Warspite :v:

That's not bad. Molotov is a lot of fun if you know how to Soviet cruiser. Warspite is probably tied with the Arizona for best T6 BB. Mutsu is a adequate trainer.

Scapegoat posted:

Week 4 requires a high caliber to get through the current campaign (min T5). Thinking Gulio Cesare and Okhotnik are my best bets for clubbing a result though did see a suggestion that they are a lot easier in ranked due to the reduced HP floating around.

I nab a high caliber every other game in ranked at a minimal. Get in the NC, Amagi, or Alabama. Delete cruisers first, make sure you are setting up a crossfire and then hit a BB every shot for 10K+ damage per salvo and you'll hit it in no time. Of course if you want to win, shoot at easy DD shots too.

HFX fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 3, 2018

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
DD starts to get really interesting around the t6-t7 mark when you start regularly facing opponents with radar.

Then you get to t8 and german hydro starts to cover the whole map because reasons.

I'm dying. A lot.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Ice Fist posted:

First games back after a few months hiatus tonight. In my Fuso - topped damage and exp, but nonetheless: "report Fuso"

Good to be back guys. Good to be back.

Good to see you around.

Now it's time to play the Missouri and lesser BBs until I get High Caliber and/or Dreadnought for these dumb missions.

dogsarentdangerous
Aug 11, 2008
Just got a Gallant out of a box. I don't even pretend to know what I'm doing at this game (I am the team mate in the OP) so do you guys have any advice on how I should stat out the free 10pt captain who came with it?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

dogsarentdangerous posted:

Just got a Gallant out of a box. I don't even pretend to know what I'm doing at this game (I am the team mate in the OP) so do you guys have any advice on how I should stat out the free 10pt captain who came with it?

DDs are generally

First skill: Priority Target
Second skill: Last Stand ( always last stand )
Third skill: Varies, but the Gallant can just barely stealth torp and it has OK torps, so probably Torpedo Armament Expertise.
Fourth skill: Concealment Expert.

After that, grab Adrenaline Rush and then consider Demo Expert if you're doing work with guns, or Radio Location. Radio Location gets so good once you start to figure it out.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

DDs are generally

Third skill: Varies, but the Gallant can just barely stealth torp and it has OK torps, so probably Torpedo Armament Expertise.

After that, grab Adrenaline Rush and then consider Demo Expert if you're doing work with guns, or Radio Location. Radio Location gets so good once you start to figure it out.

You want preventative maintaince for tougher modules for DDs so you get your poo poo knocked out less. If someone sees you then you assume youll get shot to bits anyway. Priority target isn't great on Destroyers generally because you want to be unseen every time you are seen anyway.

I'd get radio Location as your fifth skill instead of Adrenaline Rush, but that is personal preference. Otherwise that is all good.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Started playing carriers because I was bored.

Langley was fine, I free xped my way past the Bogue, and now I keep winding up in T8 matches with a T6 carrier and my planes just melt. What am I supposed to do about T8 AAA with T6 planes?

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Phanatic posted:

Started playing carriers because I was bored.

Langley was fine, I free xped my way past the Bogue, and now I keep winding up in T8 matches with a T6 carrier and my planes just melt. What am I supposed to do about T8 AAA with T6 planes?

Watch for ships taking HE fire from cruisers. Wait a minute or so. Attack those. Alternatively, try to sink destroyers.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Buddy, I’ve got bad news for you, because your next CV is the Ranger.

What I’ve been doing for the independence is an operation every now and then. There are T7 operations now too, so you can never see a Saipan once you get your Ranger.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Preechr posted:

Buddy, I’ve got bad news for you, because your next CV is the Ranger.

What I’ve been doing for the independence is an operation every now and then. There are T7 operations now too, so you can never see a Saipan once you get your Ranger.

Even if the Saipan didn't exist, watching a Hiryu or Kaga clown the poo poo out of the new "improved" Ranger loadout, makes me never want to play it.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Polyakov posted:

You want preventative maintaince for tougher modules for DDs so you get your poo poo knocked out less. If someone sees you then you assume youll get shot to bits anyway. Priority target isn't great on Destroyers generally because you want to be unseen every time you are seen anyway.

I'd get radio Location as your fifth skill instead of Adrenaline Rush, but that is personal preference. Otherwise that is all good.

I used to think that, but I feel like priority target is more useful than people give it credit being.

Knowing whether you're being aimed at or just spotted, aimed at by how many people, etc, etc. These are all things that influence how aggressive I'm going to be if I'm in a thinking mood as opposed to a "Press W and kill" mood. Also, it is always useful, whereas preventive maintenance is only useful when you're being shot.

I generally get PM later on and just slot dakka durability in the first mod slot. I've never found modules to be a huge concern in a DD.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
I doubt it was optimal play, but I would always take the air supremacy loadout on the bogue and independence. I figured the best way I could help my team was to nullify the enemy carrier ASAP so the rest of the team could play as if it didn’t exist. RIP that, though.

dogsarentdangerous
Aug 11, 2008
Thanks for the Destroyer advice - I went PM as if I'm detected I generally try and get undetected asap regardless, unless I'm duelling another Destroyer or something.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

DDs are generally

My suggestion for the third skill is Survivability Expert. The HP buff is far more important since you are a gunboat that will be trying to contest caps. At 12 points get adrenaline rush, 15 points get either BFT or DE (for dakadaka), or superintendent for teamplay with smoke.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Blindeye posted:

My suggestion for the third skill is Survivability Expert. The HP buff is far more important since you are a gunboat that will be trying to contest caps. At 12 points get adrenaline rush, 15 points get either BFT or DE (for dakadaka), or superintendent for teamplay with smoke.

I'm torn with SE. I feel it only really starts to factor significantly at 7+ for a couple of reasons. It isn't a bad skill, but there are plenty of DDs where I'd rather have Super I or whatever. Not always a huge fan of BFT either because with some DDs, it is kind of dumb and only serves to encourage you to take shots you regret.

Depending on the DD/Line/Tier, you can make arguments for a lot of different skills. With a BB, it's just, "Why would you ever pick anything that isn't this? rear end in a top hat."

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
I've got roughly 93k XP on my Neptune and 343k free XP. I'm sorely tempted to free XP to the Minotaur because recently playing the Neptune feels like getting dick punched repeatedly (probably in part because I am bad at botes). Should I do it or should I just grit my teeth and grind my way to the Minotaur?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Soup Inspector posted:

I've got roughly 93k XP on my Neptune and 343k free XP. I'm sorely tempted to free XP to the Minotaur because recently playing the Neptune feels like getting dick punched repeatedly (probably in part because I am bad at botes). Should I do it or should I just grit my teeth and grind my way to the Minotaur?

There is very little the Minotaur does that the Neptune doesn't. I'd save the free xp or stop entirely.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I feel like I'm not playing the Scharnhorst right. The guns are too small to really punish BB's unless I out tier them, and I still seem to get lots of overpens on cruisers (unless its just made of citadels like the Omaha).

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Blindeye posted:

There is very little the Minotaur does that the Neptune doesn't. I'd save the free xp or stop entirely.

Thanks for the honest response.

And of course my very first Neptune game after I complain is a 83k damage one. Maybe it really is that I just suck. v:v:v

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Soup Inspector posted:

And of course my very first Neptune game after I complain is a 83k damage one. Maybe it really is that I just suck. v:v:v

It takes a massive amount of map awareness/playing safely. It also relies heavily on your team, but the dpm and heal means it can be very deadly late-game by sneaking into caps/avoiding detection/picking fights on its terms.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

cheese posted:

I feel like I'm not playing the Scharnhorst right. The guns are too small to really punish BB's unless I out tier them, and I still seem to get lots of overpens on cruisers (unless its just made of citadels like the Omaha).

Pretend you're not a BB but a fat cruiser that is really really good at killing other cruisers. I've not really had issues with frequent overpens with the Scharnorst. With that said I don't don't think it's that great in the torpedo infested waters....

It's a stupidly fun ship for Operations, but I don't like to PvP in it.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
this loving game, the scharnhorst, still a beast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xxk0xpVztcA

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

cheese posted:

With the Scharn, don't aim for citadels on other BB's unless you are really close and you have a perfect broadside. Go for the bits in the middle. You don't get the big hits, but you get a lot of consistent good damage hits. If you can get close, do so and introduce them to your torps, if they are running away and you can't follow, swap to HE. It can do some surprisingly good hits on things.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

cheese posted:

The guns punish BBs just fine, if you land those good hits. They're very accurate, and fast firing. Ideally, you use your agility to exploit the terrain and limit your exposure to the enemy. Then you start knocking down targets of opportunity. If the fight starts to go sideways, you use the terrain to break contact entirely. If someone REALLY wants to come at you, you let them, and then you either torp them, citadel them, or both.

It is very good at picking off DDs and CLs, supporting pushes, and doing fighting retreats on collapsing flanks. You can even play it like a traditional BB in those situations where you are top tier. It can, after all, take some hits- unlike the Julio, which absolutely does not like being shot by BBs at any tier and will roll over and die if you pressure it.

Soup Inspector posted:

The Neptune ( and to some extent, the Minotaur ) kind of suffer due to high tier map design. Their shells arc high and slow, which is no big deal when you're 6-8, but Absolutely Bullshit when you're playing Ocean or Tears or some other bullshit map where you absolutely cannot land consistent shots because everyone's 19km away.

8-10 is also the bracket in which torpedoes become more brutal, and radar is more prevalent. There are counters for British CLs at every range.

They can still do well, but holy poo poo you'll wish you were in a French CL or something fun when you land on Tears.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
When I've seen good Nepture/Minotaur players, they seem to pretend they are DD's without torps. Play cautious at the start of the game, look for good spots, don't be afraid to fall back or run away. The later in the game you can stay alive, the more powerful it becomes. Let some of those radar ships die and then go to work.

CitizenKain posted:

With the Scharn, don't aim for citadels on other BB's unless you are really close and you have a perfect broadside. Go for the bits in the middle. You don't get the big hits, but you get a lot of consistent good damage hits. If you can get close, do so and introduce them to your torps, if they are running away and you can't follow, swap to HE. It can do some surprisingly good hits on things.
Thanks for the advice. I have had oddly strong results from HE at times. The guns just don't do much against angled BB's but HE is good for nice 3-5k volleys on the super structure.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

DDs are generally

Please do not take Torpedo Armament Expertise.

1. Preventative
2. Last Stand
3. Either Superintendent or Survivability
4. Concealment

After that you get Adrenaline Rush and Super or Survivability (that you left before) which puts you on 15 and from there you can either take RPF or IFHE or DE and Priority Target.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Blindeye posted:

It takes a massive amount of map awareness/playing safely. It also relies heavily on your team, but the dpm and heal means it can be very deadly late-game by sneaking into caps/avoiding detection/picking fights on its terms.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The Neptune ( and to some extent, the Minotaur ) kind of suffer due to high tier map design. Their shells arc high and slow, which is no big deal when you're 6-8, but Absolutely Bullshit when you're playing Ocean or Tears or some other bullshit map where you absolutely cannot land consistent shots because everyone's 19km away.

8-10 is also the bracket in which torpedoes become more brutal, and radar is more prevalent. There are counters for British CLs at every range.

They can still do well, but holy poo poo you'll wish you were in a French CL or something fun when you land on Tears.

cheese posted:

When I've seen good Nepture/Minotaur players, they seem to pretend they are DD's without torps. Play cautious at the start of the game, look for good spots, don't be afraid to fall back or run away. The later in the game you can stay alive, the more powerful it becomes. Let some of those radar ships die and then go to work.

Good advice, thank you all. I think my natural aggression playing this game is biting me in the arse; I distinctly noticed that I played very conservatively in the 83k Neptune game, kiting away when my smoke ran out and not firing unnecessarily. I also tried to keep an eye on where radar ships and DDs were.

Is there any reason why the Minotaur suffers less from high tier map design?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Minotaur really is very similar to the neptune, it has slightly better concealment whish help with positioning and getting out after smoke but it's really the same gameplay and weaknesses.
You die from radar, torpedoes, blind shot from BB AP and you can only damage bad players who show broadside at medium to close range.
It's a very binary ship, not very consistent.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Nelsol acquired, Jack Dunkirk assigned.

Also I got a High Caliber in the Cesare and didn't have that mission selected. :smith:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Sperglord Actual posted:

Nelsol acquired, Jack Dunkirk assigned.

Also I got a High Caliber in the Cesare and didn't have that mission selected. :smith:

I did 172k in Lion, no high Caliber.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

cheese posted:

The Minotaur (and this all applies to the Neptune really) require you to play 3 different playstyles, and transition between them at different times; failing at any one of them can very easily get you killed.

Early game you want to play as a cruiser, as a fire support ship. Use your speed to get into a good early position, but don't keep right up with your destroyers, stay a little back, and use your absurd fire rate to zone out enemy ships; very few people are willing to push into the ROF that a minotaur or Neptune can keep up. That said, if you are me particularly confident, you can keep up with your destroyers in an attempt to get a quick DD kill, but doing so is risky and opens yourself up to getting smacked, so doing so is a very risky play.

Mid game, once the DD's have been thinned out, you can play more like a DD, spotting for your team and stealth torping, as it's got the concealment, manuverability, and torpedoes to do it, with the option to park and lay down a lot of shellfire.

In the late game, you can get into 1v1 fights, using either torpedoes, smoke and a spotter, your heal or your maneuverability to get into and pick off enemy ships in 1v1 fights, depending on which is most useful for that specific matchup and your situation. I do believe the Minotaur is one of the best 1v1 fighting ships in the game, and if you can force such a fight you very likely have the ability to make that fight happen on your terms.

IMO, the difference between a bad, good, and really good RN cruiser player, regardless of the exact ship, is ultimately knowing when NOT to fire, and choosing to skulk around for a better position.

Rorac fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 4, 2018

Mauzeraut
Aug 15, 2005

Ka-BEWWWWM!
Minotaur shores up on some of the weaknesses of the Neptune - it has ungodly DPM and much faster turret traverse, significantly better stealth (both from in and out of smoke), is just as maneuverable and smaller. This makes it much better at ambushing and responding to new threats.

It's still made of paper, but a lot less survives the initial ambush long enough to punish you back in Mino vs. Neptune. They still play very similarly, but for a lot of reasons the Mino feels a lot stronger.

Mauzeraut
Aug 15, 2005

Ka-BEWWWWM!
Also, as someone who really enjoys cruiser/dd play, these new missions are putting a thorn in my rear end.

I have a Missouri, Scharnhorst and Cesare and do just fine in them, it's just annoying to have to put up with it for a badly designed mission (and one with a time requirement to boot).

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Wolfy posted:

You could probably get dreadnought twice and finish the other two way quicker.

Thanks for this didn't realize you could complete missions multiple times, pretty easy getting 100k games in the Roma but that High Caliber is elusive. Will probably look into doing ranked as well.

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007
If you want High Caliber you may want to approach it from another angle. Like tier 5 IJN DD angle.

Herr Bazooka fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Is it just me or is Radio Location is used by sealclubbing fuckfaces at tiers 4-5 way more than by anyone at higher tiers?