Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Oh Snapple! posted:

Extremely popular character gets a lot of attention, you say :thunk:

At this point I'm not sure which one feeds into the other more.

All I know is that whatever path they took to give us Saber Venus was the wrong one and we should be making a U-Turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gologle posted:

You're all wrong, Septem sucks because all it does and says is "WOW, look at Nero, isn't Nero the best?! Look how great she is, how confident and strong, gee whiz, Nero sure is great and awesome, even her enemies love her, WOW, even people who have literally no reason to fight by her side and should be actively trying to kill her value her, God, isn't Nero so good and cool and the best BUY FATE/EXTRA, WHERE NERO IS THE PROTAGONIST (who cares about those other two losers)."

But the problem is I hate Nero, and Septem did nothing to make me like her and in fact accomplished the opposite.
you know i dont think the singularity was meant as an advertisement for a seven year old psp game made by a now-defunct company. just a hunch.

also emiya and tamamo are two of the most popular and focused on characters in the entire franchise. there are more tamamos in fgo than neros. if you dont like nero whatever but iunno why people act like shes somehow overbearing in comparison to the other f/e protagonists.

Nero: Playable in F/E and F/E CCC, One of the leads of Extella, Female Lead in the anime, Two FGO servants, a singularity focused on her, a plotless event
Emiya: One of the main characters of Fate/Stay Night and Fate/Hollow Ataraxia and all their various adaptations, Playable in F/E and F/E CCC, side character in Extella, two FGO servants, appears frequently in events
Tamamo: Playable in F/E and F/E CCC, one of the leads of extella, female lead in the foxtail manga, three FGO servants, appears frequently in events
Gilgamesh: One of the main antagonists of Fate/Stay Night, makes a decent number of appearances in F/HA, one of the main characters of Fate/Zero, one of the main characters of Fate/Strange Fake, Playable in F/E CCC, side character in Extella, side character in Prism Ilya, singularity focused on him, appears frequently in events

like how do you look at how endlessly Gilgamesh has been wanked to death and go 'NERO is the overbearing one.' Is it because he's a villain 10% of the time or what.

Like Septem's awful but it isn't really Nero's fault, you could have had anyone in her place and it'd be bad.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Pureauthor posted:

At this point I'm not sure which one feeds into the other more.

All I know is that whatever path they took to give us Saber Venus was the wrong one and we should be making a U-Turn.

Actually, they need to put the gas pedal through the floor and lock the steering wheel.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
As of this past summer, Nero and Tamamo are equal in variant count (three)

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I guess this conversation need someone to come out and talk poo poo about tamamo to balance out the witch hunt. :confuoot:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tarezax posted:

As of this past summer, Nero and Tamamo are equal in variant count (three)

i forgot summer nero lol

still though the point mostly stands

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Liz has the most variants of any of the Extra characters and I am pretty thoroughly on team Idoru.

Tamamo's alright, I used to like Nero then I played FGO and Extella, these are my opinions on the Extra characters that aren't the best boy from FSN, Emiya.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like nero because its not really her fault that septem and extella are bad and septem and extella are bad even outside of her. like nero has nothing to do with archimedes rambling for ten minutes or whatever is going on with altera.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Altera is great though.

Tamamo is just the worst.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Tamamo is alright but her fanbase is terrible and hostile and I'm glad Nero fans are largely content with just umu'ing at eachother like a herd of bleating sheep.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

i like nero because its not really her fault that septem and extella are bad and septem and extella are bad even outside of her. like nero has nothing to do with archimedes rambling for ten minutes or whatever is going on with altera.

While I don't disagree a lot of Septem and Extella are written around with her with the purpose of aggrandizing her and making her unconditionally the hero with no faults whatsoever. While this is a product of the writers loving up, it can still be enough to sour you on a character especially when her route is intertwined with the game's other most lovely protagonist, Altera who is literally nothing, a void of character and it goes on about how much she wants to fight her for no reason.

Like as manipulative and lovely as Tamamo can come off in her part of the game there is a full character arc there with things that mean something to her that are wholely unique to her and a conclusion that satisfies her storyline. Fwiw, I think Nero is really fun in some events and skits and Nerofest is genuinely one of the best events every year for the past two years in this game, so I'm not entirely against her.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Captain Baal posted:

the game's other most lovely protagonist, Altera who is literally nothing, a void of character

hmm nah

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Speaking of fanbases let's talk about the incredibly irritating Altera fan who feels the need to insert himself in every conversation about her

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

mi-koooon~

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

baal posts another bad dumb take

news at 11

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

altera's route was the only good thing about that game wtf

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Plutonis posted:

No the Karna sideroute where he 1v1s Velbar and wins was pretty cool too.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I haven't and don't plan on playing Extella so Altera is kind of whatever to me but I think her Riyo equivalent is pretty funny.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

No the Karna sideroute where he 1v1s Velbar and wins was pretty cool too.

i need some freaking embers to level my sun boy...

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Plutonis posted:

Baal's really mad at her for some reason and even docked her in his rankings out of spite. She ends up next to Okita a lot of the time but nah let's knock that down three points.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nate RFB posted:

I haven't and don't plan on playing Extella so Altera is kind of whatever to me but I think her Riyo equivalent is pretty funny.

Riyo managed to drop three new servants in his goofy rear end comic and make people seriously look for evidence on their identities, they struck gold with that dude.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Waifu Wars - The Last SSR Saber

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Captain Baal posted:

Riyo managed to drop three new servants in his goofy rear end comic and make people seriously look for evidence on their identities, they struck gold with that dude.

and they made the best daily farming servant on the game from one of them

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Saber class is meh

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Baal's really mad at her for some reason and even docked her in his rankings out of spite. She ends up next to Okita a lot of the time but nah let's knock that down three points.

I hate Chloe more than I hate Altera and gave her a high score and the rankings are my opinions anyways so idk what your problem here is other than I poo poo on a character you like and don't consider her highly in this game

I especially don't know why you asked me a week ago about characters you should get to fill out a list if you have that much of an issue with my opinion too, dude

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Altera has good memes and her interlude 1 was pretty good. That's all I can say about her not having played Extella - wonder what her other interludes will be like?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

There isn't a world where Altera is Okita tier tbqh. Altera's gen stats are too atrocious to compare to Miss 'I can chain my NP into itself!'. If she had two more hits on her arts card and one on her Quick she'd probably be the best AoE Saber tho.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I enjoy Nero’s character well enough but I kind of feel like the instant they decided to make a saberface with no real link to Arturia who wore a stupid see-through dress was kind of the moment this franchise jumped the shark.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Transient People posted:

There isn't a world where Altera is Okita tier tbqh. Altera's gen stats are too atrocious to compare to Miss 'I can chain my NP into itself!'. If she had two more hits on her arts card and one on her Quick she'd be probably the best AoE Saber tho.

That's just where she averages out. Gamepress puts Okita higher but gamepress also makes a lot of bad decisions in placement, and they've both been the same on appmedia for as long as I've cared to look.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

Bakanogami posted:

I enjoy Nero’s character well enough but I kind of feel like the instant they decided to make a saberface with no real link to Arturia who wore a stupid see-through dress was kind of the moment this franchise jumped the shark.

Fool! It's not see-through. She's letting you see.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH8RJF_QVnM&t=47s

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Appmedia is just as poor of a barometer to judge servants with considering Amakusa has been highly rated on there forever because he makes a nerofest challenge quest easier. Okita isn't regarded highly by them because she is a quick-based servant and they are biased in favor of buster servants on top of that because they have a multitude more options. More people are gonna agree Okita is better, because hey guess what? ST servants that can crit damage very highly are regarded well by literally anyone.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

That's just where she averages out. Gamepress puts Okita higher but gamepress also makes a lot of bad decisions in placement, and they've both been the same on appmedia for as long as I've cared to look.

Baal kinda beat me to this, but literally the only reason to take Altera is because she can semi-support by dumping an NP Damage multiplier on a friend and a def down on an NP chain. She's really not super good and I say this as a guy who has her as his only 5*. Seriously can't wait for Nero Bride or Rama to drop in so I can have someone who's better at blowing dudes up.

PS: Speaking of which, what's the best crit team setup right now in NA? Double Andersens plus a Lancer Alter with 2030s and a Victor on her? Is there anything better?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Transient People posted:

Baal kinda beat me to this, but literally the only reason to take Altera is because she can semi-support by dumping an NP Damage multiplier on a friend and a def down on an NP chain. She's really not super good and I say this as a guy who has her as his only 5*. Seriously can't wait for Nero Bride or Rama to drop in so I can have someone who's better at blowing dudes up.

PS: Speaking of which, what's the best crit team setup right now in NA? Double Andersens plus a Lancer Alter with 2030s and a Victor on her? Is there anything better?

I wish Wisdom of Dun Scaiths buffs werent 80% to proc because it would make my Scathach perfect. Also uhh change one of the Hans for a Weiba for crit damage buff/np spam?

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Yeah Waver is probably the better pick

Those two plus Lalter should melt almost any content super hard

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Waver is def the better pick if you want boosted crit damage. Maybe look towards getting Nightingale if you want Buster buffs when she drops and you've got a pretty solid Lalter team there.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Captain Baal posted:

Sakurai wrote the best singularity of EoR, is probably the reason America ended up so good, and didn't write Apocrypha like a certain other person on that list, so idk why they're under suspicion of being the weak link.

Higashide did do a good job with Shimosa though, credit to him.

Higashide wrote some of the most fun servants (Tamamo Cat, Teach, Edison, Asterios, Jeanne Alter, Orion) (also wrote Waver), so I'd say he's a surprisingly good character writer even if he's not that great a narrative writer. Or more like he has a bad habit of trying to do too much.

E: Somehow I forgot I was two pages behind, whoops.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 3, 2018

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Bakanogami posted:

Counter-point: Nasu's finest moment as a writer was when he not only justified the see-through dress, but made me love it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I give the guy a lot of poo poo, but Shimosa has like one of my top 5 FGO moments in the past two and a half years of this game and as you said he is responsible for some fun character stuff, so I can't hate him or even be too upset at him.

God shimosa was fun, not as good as Shinjuku still, but it was such an awesome singularity.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Pureauthor posted:

Saber Venus

Ok, now I wanna see an event with a full set of Saber Scouts.

Captain Baal posted:

For real, though, how are you supposed to figure out an identity when all you've got to go on is 'underwear-clad assassin with a gun'?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

ZiegeDame posted:

For real, though, how are you supposed to figure out an identity when all you've got to go on is 'underwear-clad assassin with a gun'?

Her Noble Phantasm is blackmail material in a folder with "FBI" on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Honestly, Apocrypha, as a base concept, has the same warning signs you see in an amateur fanfic writer: The plot's centered around a Cool Thing (which creates a problem once the Cool Thing runs out of steam) and has lots and lots of characters because they too Are Cool and then they'll also have all these B-plots and etc and it all result in something unfocused and way bigger than any writer could realistically tie together.

Dude got too hyped and overreached.