Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

He’s a victim of how bad off lane is now. Leaving the early game with no cs but no deaths is now the goal of any of those off lane melee heroes now, it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Slardar was mostly being played as pos 4 before he disappeared so I'm not sure the offlane nerfs are the reason.

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

He doesn't fit the pos4 meta at all because he doesn't really help the safelane. He also needs to farm his blink to be useful, which he can't use Iron Talon to get anymore.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I feel like Doom's pretty good right now, he can survive the offlane, farms fast, and even if you're having a lovely game all you have to do is press R on their level 25 carry and probably win.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
is there any dota 2 pro/big streamer nowadays that isn't a loving mongoloid alt right racist

you open bulldog's stream, the first thing you see is pepe and him calling other players monkeys; you open sing's stream and, well,

this game really has become Trump's Dota

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Sing has mellowed a lot in that regard, at least during the times I have watched his stream. I think getting suspended from Twitch scared him straight

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

bulldog is trash and i don't understand the appeal

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Neon Belly posted:

He’s a victim of how bad off lane is now. Leaving the early game with no cs but no deaths is now the goal of any of those off lane melee heroes now, it seems.

"No cs no deaths" is a terrible, terrible goal for an offlane. You get 25% XP from denies, and you'll most likely also get zoned a bit so you'll be getting even less XP than that. Essentially, if you concede the lane like that and don't even try to contest last hits, you are going to be less farmed than a pos 5 support, and the enemy carry is going to get insanely farmed. The offlane's job isn't to be some inanimate, AFK rock that sits under the tower while slowly working towards level 2. As offlane, you're supposed to contest the lane and force the enemy team to react to you. Sometimes this means you have to die a couple of times in lane, and that's honestly completely okay even if your 3k teammates don't think so. If you can force 2 supports to deal with you while also screwing up the carry's last hits, while also getting farm yourself, the few 200 gold deaths you feed to the carry aren't going to mean much in the grand scheme of things, especially if the carry has to miss out on creep last hits to kill you.

I'm not a professional doto player but my current offlane pubbing strategy is to wait for enemy supports to pick their heroes, then picking a hero that can contest the lane against those heroes. I mean, usually it doesn't matter what they pick since you'll have to pick Clockwerk or Earthshaker seeing as everyone else gets zoned, but that's the high skill nature of offlane coming to play there. Although sometimes you can pick Enchantress against a low magic damage lane or a Broodmother against Luna + 2 weak supports and so on.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

TOOT BOOT posted:

I feel like Doom's pretty good right now, he can survive the offlane, farms fast, and even if you're having a lovely game all you have to do is press R on their level 25 carry and probably win.
Doom is extremely reliant on the gg hadouken 5 hp regen creep spawning at minute 1 and is basically not a viable offlaner against any kind of decent ranged support like Shaman, Lich, Dazzle, or even really CM without it, because you will get harassed right tf out of the lane due to your pretty bad armour and quite slow attack animation.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Also consume has no range and a significant cast time so unless you're trekking out into the woods every time it's a free combo setup if you're using it to offset lost gold

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Looke posted:

bulldog is trash and i don't understand the appeal

He won TI

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Kawabata posted:

is there any dota 2 pro/big streamer nowadays that isn't a loving mongoloid alt right racist

There’s some level of irony in using a racist term to describe how you’re sick of racist streamers.

Minorkos posted:

"No cs no deaths" is a terrible, terrible goal for an offlane. You get 25% XP from denies, and you'll most likely also get zoned a bit so you'll be getting even less XP than that. Essentially, if you concede the lane like that and don't even try to contest last hits, you are going to be less farmed than a pos 5 support, and the enemy carry is going to get insanely farmed. The offlane's job isn't to be some inanimate, AFK rock that sits under the tower while slowly working towards level 2. As offlane, you're supposed to contest the lane and force the enemy team to react to you. Sometimes this means you have to die a couple of times in lane, and that's honestly completely okay even if your 3k teammates don't think so. If you can force 2 supports to deal with you while also screwing up the carry's last hits, while also getting farm yourself, the few 200 gold deaths you feed to the carry aren't going to mean much in the grand scheme of things, especially if the carry has to miss out on creep last hits to kill you.

Yes, there’s more nuance beyond 0cs/0death, thanks true. Keeping the trilane engaged is certainly an important aspect of the offlane.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Kinda amusing that dota2 metagame has evolved into LoL's pre-jungler meta of "2-3 top, 1 mid, 1 in your offlane to harass the enemy carry and force multiple enemies to stay in-lane"

Not talking poo poo, I actually enjoyed that developmental phase, it was fun basically going Survival Mode solo against 2-3 enemies, seeing how long you could keep the tower & yourself alive and the lane active.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

Kinda amusing that dota2 metagame has evolved into LoL's pre-jungler meta of "2-3 top, 1 mid, 1 in your offlane to harass the enemy carry and force multiple enemies to stay in-lane"

Not talking poo poo, I actually enjoyed that developmental phase, it was fun basically going Survival Mode solo against 2-3 enemies, seeing how long you could keep the tower & yourself alive and the lane active.

uh its basically 1 off 1 safe 3 mid

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i learned a lot about the type of people that frequent twitch chat when i was in university and they also love pepes and are racist.

e. just so we're clear i also love pepes and am racist

Radical fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 1, 2018

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

TEE AYY WINNEr

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Radical posted:

e. just so we're clear i also love pepes and am racist

ok,

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Kawabata posted:

you open bulldog's stream, the first thing you see is pepe and him calling other players monkeys; you open sing's stream and, well,

Draskyl stream is still pretty good and on often, although he goes through phases of not really wanting to play Dota.

Waga is okay.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Maybe it's because I play at a lower MMR than a lot of you but I've found offlaning as Venomancer to work really well this patch to keep my CS up and actually consistently pull other heroes off their lane to get me.

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

Okay whoever stole the refresher item away from my Tide and used it away from battle as Mirana...good job tilting me.

a witch
Jan 12, 2017

Kawabata posted:

Khezzu

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Neon Belly posted:

There’s some level of irony in using a racist term to describe how you’re sick of racist streamers.

underrated post

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
"Yes, I want to watch the streamer that speaks only in emoticons"

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
ppd is currently streaming playing low priority with his brother and it is fun to watch even him struggle to support stupid pub 4 carry lineups

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Kawabata posted:

arteezy

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

Minorkos posted:

I'm at Divine 1 at the moment. I managed to lose like 700 MMR before the calibrations and I've been trying to undo the damage ever since.

Sadly the game just isn't very fun for me in this patch. It seems like offlane is thoroughly hosed now. It's not even "hard" in the sense that it's challenging, it's just a lane you simply sometimes lose against certain heroes, and there's nothing you can do about it. I'm basically unable to play anything but Clockwerk since he's more or less the only hero that can deal with zoning and still have an impact on the lane. I mean I can pick something like Doom or Pangolier and still usually do somewhat okay on my lane, but every now and then, the enemy supports zone me entirely and the game just becomes a loving nightmare where I'm using one hand to try to evade the enemy supports hounding me wherever I go and my other hand to write explanations to my team why I'm still level 1. I'm actually getting a ton of reports for "feeding" or "being useless" just for playing my role to the best of my ability since most people don't understand how loving horrible suicide laning can be now.

I don't know why Valve opted to make offlane like this. It's just objectively speaking less interesting and less challenging to play now. I lost interest in the patch about 2 weeks ago.

You're in luck dude https://twitter.com/LiquidMATUMBA/status/948261338610094082

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
ja just pull the lane my dude

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Admittedly I have not tried pulling the lane like that in like 3 years but don't the enemy supports use their harmful hexes and curses on you when you try to do that

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Everyone got more base hp and starts with more regen so it’s less risky and stupidly effective.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Minorkos posted:

Admittedly I have not tried pulling the lane like that in like 3 years but don't the enemy supports use their harmful hexes and curses on you when you try to do that
there is no way that the Bonus Support Of The Day With A Mango would use a free hex/shackle/stun/banish + illusions/similar to frag you, especially since there is a 0% chance of them standing between their and your lane given bounty rune position

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Minorkos posted:

There's pretty much 0 penalty for dying in the first 10 minutes and nowadays mid is a 2v2. Offlane has been a 1v1 now in high brackets.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Minorkos posted:

i see a lot of ppl doing this long rear end pull in my sewer tier games now

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Kawabata posted:

waga, promo code bsj, and the perennial favorite merlini

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
about 1 gb patch so guessing there is gameplay changes??

perhaps we will see the +2 armour lich has been waiting for all this time

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Smythe posted:

i see a lot of ppl doing this long rear end pull in my sewer tier games now

This is the first time I've heard of that pull :(

Edit: v I saw a video of it and edited, but thanks for the explanation! v

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 3, 2018

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Neon Belly posted:

This is pulling the hard camp into the lane right past the t1 tower, right?

No. First wave of the game, you walk behind the enemy t1 tower and aggro the creep wave as its coming by and you drag it all the way back to between your t1 and t2 so that it meets your second wave there. Ensures you a full wave of experience without being bullied/harassed by the safelane support.

Edit: You edited as I was typing :ohdear:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Minorkos posted:

sometimes a support sits between the t1 + t2 but then you can just pull them from between t3 + t2 and tp out if it gets dicey and you still force the lane to your tower.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
pulling it between the t3 and t2 seems to work better and u can try to toss a blue ward or summat in their pull camp on your way to gently caress with it a little more.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

They're working on a Roman-themed hero right now so maybe it won't be another full year before we get another one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Bloodynine is good, he does not talk most of time which is the ideal dota experience