Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I put in a poo poo load of amd calls and Intel puts yesterday, today is like another Christmas. Gonna hold them until Intel formally announces how bad this poo poo show is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

CLAM DOWN posted:

People just don't know yet. Ars isn't even covering it yet, I've had to point some friends to the Register link. Give it time.

I can’t believe that institutional investors haven’t heard yet. They may not be able to dump entire positions without a meeting or something, but I don’t know poo poo about how they work.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

GreenNight posted:

AMD stock is going up up up! Maybe the stock I got back in the Athlon days will actually be worth something again?
AMD's processors have been a joke for almost a solid decade, then they release Ryzen and they're suddenly viable competitors again. This timing is like a dozen Christmases for them.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Zaepho posted:

I did some work with them. Good bunch that takes what they're doing seriously. Definitely willing to put in the time, effort and money to make things work well. Unless they've moved to Azure Stack, a lot of their customer offerings are likely hosted on Windows Azure Pack with pretty reasonably beefy hardware underneath. Their network design was annoying to deal with but showed they knew what they were doing from that perspective.

Thank you!

mewse
May 2, 2006

GreenNight posted:

AMD stock is going up up up! Maybe the stock I got back in the Athlon days will actually be worth something again?

This is a wise investment opportunity, like bitcoin

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I kind of hope we get the option to just not fix the issue because honestly I don't give a gently caress enough about securing my home computer against this sort of thing to take that performance hit. Not looking forward to the effects at work, though.

EDIT: Nope never mind I was just seeing stuff that focused on VM escapes, not the huge escalation issues that effect everything forever.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 3, 2018

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Enjoy getting cryptolocked by the first Javascript exploit to come along I guess.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

I kind of hope we get the option to just not fix the issue because honestly I don't give a gently caress enough about securing my home computer against this sort of thing to take that performance hit. Not looking forward to the effects at work, though.

Same but vaccines.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I am so glad I switched to console gaming.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Collateral Damage posted:

Enjoy getting cryptolocked by the first Javascript exploit to come along I guess.

Yeah I probably just don't understand the impact well enough now and I'm just being flippant.

loving CPU makers.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

It allows reads to "protected" spaces, attempted writes are blocked before they can interfere because the prediction steps that inadvertently allow reads can't force through writes.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

So it's mainly just a "your credit card has a new way of getting stolen" type thing?

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Not possible to be exploited via Javascript. Via WebAssembly though its likely possible, so there will still be an issue for unpatched machines.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Vargatron posted:

So it's mainly just a "your credit card has a new way of getting stolen" type thing?

I see it as: so now your UEFI (intel ME?) can be my bitch, mining buttcoins and you cannot do anything about it (short of replacing the motherboard). And all because you visited that website that promised you some boobs.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Edit ^^^ as far as I've seen, nothing to do with UEFI, as it's a kernel exploit. You're thinking of something else.

Vargatron posted:

No, it's a fun way to get your "b0xxzor pwn3ds".

Full remote privilege escalation from what I understand.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
<digs out his old iBook G4>

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
My home computer is running a Core 2 Duo so I guess I'm safe :getin:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Avenging_Mikon posted:

It's a 'data leakage' exploit. Which can be the building block of a number of other types of exploits.

The exploit allows a malicious process running in a vm (this includes any technologies that rely on sandboxing, like javascript) to access system memory from the host machine.

This level of memory access would allow a bad actor to gain information about the host and other potential VM's sharing the same host that would otherwise be unavailable.

The information gained in this way could be used as a stepping stone to gain access to the host machine, other guest VM's, or greater access in your current VM. Or a number of other things that I lack the creativity to come up with.

e - relevant section of the register arcticle

quote:

How can this security hole be abused?
At best, the vulnerability could be leveraged by malware and hackers to more easily exploit other security bugs.

At worst, the hole could be abused by programs and logged-in users to read the contents of the kernel's memory. Suffice to say, this is not great. The kernel's memory space is hidden from user processes and programs because it may contain all sorts of secrets, such as passwords, login keys, files cached from disk, and so on. Imagine a piece of JavaScript running in a browser, or malicious software running on a shared public cloud server, able to sniff sensitive kernel-protected data.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 3, 2018

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nimper posted:

My home computer is running a Core 2 Duo so I guess I'm safe :getin:

Pretty sure the Core 2 Duo line isn't immune, it's an x86-64 architecture isn't it?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CLAM DOWN posted:

Pretty sure the Core 2 Duo line isn't immune, it's an x86-64 architecture isn't it?

I keep seeing conflicting reports about what is and isn't affected, from everything like you said to just a couple of specific chips in the i series.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
If the chip is 30% faster than the AMD of the era it's probably affected :shrug:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I expect we won't know for sure until tomorrow.

Also Ars just released a vague article, probably smart to wait until the embargo lifts before lighting everything on fire: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01/whats-behind-the-intel-design-flaw-forcing-numerous-patches/

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Edit ^^^ as far as I've seen, nothing to do with UEFI, as it's a kernel exploit. You're thinking of something else.

I'm not thinking of something else, but strictly kernel. If I can get code running with R0 privileges, I can do pretty much anything I want, including (and not limited to) altering the motherboard's UEFI. This bug is just the gateway, the world is open. Of course, this is just speculation as I do not know with 100% certainty what is actually going on. But if the hints that I saw are true, then, well, one can do just about anything (with a moderate amount of effort).

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
AMD stock up 9%, Intel down 6%. The news is spreading.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

BUY! BUY!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ranter posted:

It hit Reuters and is now trending on facebook.

itshappening.gif

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Tomorrow is going to be interesting. At least I'm off and traveling half the day, I guess.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

CLAM DOWN posted:

It hit Reuters and is now trending on facebook.

itshappening.gif

drat you could literally see the sell-off when it hit reuters

dat volume

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Ranter posted:

I bought in early this morning for a pretty sizeable number. Probably going to see a nice return for my efforts.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Hooray! For once I wasn’t late to the party.

I thought at this point news was acted on instantly by bots and real investors, if it hasn’t been priced in already by insiders.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, I wish I was in a stable enough position to have bought AMD / shorted Intel yesterday.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Volguus posted:

I'm not thinking of something else, but strictly kernel. If I can get code running with R0 privileges, I can do pretty much anything I want, including (and not limited to) altering the motherboard's UEFI. This bug is just the gateway, the world is open. Of course, this is just speculation as I do not know with 100% certainty what is actually going on. But if the hints that I saw are true, then, well, one can do just about anything (with a moderate amount of effort).

Oh, okay. I know there was a thing with the Intel ME specifically very recently, so I thought you were talking about that. My bad.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Latest test info -

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-more-x86pti&num=1

Most surprising is that this might only be a significant negative performance issue for high IO devices, where the tests on an old laptop appeared to have little performance difference between tests with the fix active and inactive. This really may end up being a server only issue in regards to the performance hit.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, I wish I was in a stable enough position to have bought AMD / shorted Intel yesterday.

right?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I put a few hundred in AMD, but I think I was a bit too late to hit the early rise.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Just got an email from AWS about "accelerated maintenance" tomorrow

quote:

We previously advised you of important security and operational updates which will require a reboot of one or more of your Amazon EC2 instances in the US-EAST-1 region. Unfortunately, we must accelerate the planned reboot times for these instances given anticipated publication of new research findings.

http://butt.holdings/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I really don't think AMD is going to see a long term boost so much as Intel is going to get hammered.

Intel is going to have a lot of fallout from this. Affected products are going to have to be discounted to reflect their true performance. There may be lawsuits. Things may get really ugly if it comes to light that leadership was warned about this a long time ago and accepted the risk to gain a competitive advantage.

That said, it isn't going to cause the next round of procurements to go to AMD. There's too much momentum in the other direction.

So, it's going to hurt Intel a whole lot and there will be some pop for AMD in the short term, but I don't expect that to be sustained.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

INTC recovered to 45. Apple dropped all their gains today and then some.

Like what the hell? Who’s sitting there buying intel stock today?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

skooma512 posted:

People who think this is totally overblown and will amount to nothing and there won't actually be a performance hit once the 'true' patch hits. They're gonna buy now and sell when Intel makes the 'fake news' recovery Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

skooma512 posted:

I assume idiots who see a blue chip stock falling and think "these babies only ever go up, now is the time to buy" whom also don't understand the big picture ramifications.