Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

make that digit 0 and 1

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

MedicineHut posted:

Not sure this is meaningful. Companies do work with and/or through others all the time. That Crytek personel, or Crytek as a legal entity, helped Chris in 2011 or 2012 is really immaterial in order to establish when the game development really started. Even if Crytek was out of the picture still in 2011, Chris has acknowledged to have done work for the game in that year. Weather that was early design concepts brainstorming, marketing planning, prototyping or all of the above.

“When I was first prototyping Star Citizen back in 2011 I did a lot of research on various LOD processes as I knew this would be important considering the large poly counts I was aiming for. Simplygon was the best tool that I used and the folks at Donya Labs were incredibly patient and supportive of me and Star Citizen in our early days when the game was far from a sure thing. I couldn’t be happier to announce that Simplygon is our official LOD tool for Star Citizen."

https://web.archive.org/web/20160914002052/https://www.simplygon.com/news/cloud-imperium-games-chooses-simplygon

Unless, of course, any and all of that was a lie aswell, and absolutely nothing started really until 2012.

I think the best thing to come out of Star Citizen is the opportunity to watch a man succeed who literally is a compulsive liar.

You want to believe him. You honestly think you can believe him because he seems to believe what he’s saying.

Baldness
Dec 1, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I imagine they'll try to say they were only selling the single player portion of Star Citizen, and not an isolated product.

Which means that the judge would have to sift through hours of Chris's bullshit.

Hell, he might order the death penalty after that.

That is their lawyers job...

They will make sure that they are hansomely paid for looking thorough and listening to all his bullshit too.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mr.Tophat posted:

I've been stating that CIG have killed a man for years.

Wrong account, stupid.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Hav posted:

Wiz is the Wiz, and we treat him with the deference he deserves until he fucks up ground combat in Stellaris.

We hear he is a whiz of a wiz, if ever a wiz there was.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

The Titanic posted:

I think the best thing to come out of Star Citizen is the opportunity to watch a man succeed who literally is a compulsive liar.

You want to believe him. You honestly think you can believe him because he seems to believe what he’s saying.

I don't think the world needs another example of this

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Dark Off posted:

make that digit 0 and 1

Chris: “Your honor, Squadron 42 is both a separate game we can sell and also just a game mode. Furthermore, we switched engines to Lumberyard but also kept using CryEngine so we don’t violate GLA.”
Judge: “How can that possibly be?”
Chris: “No one has seen the game yet. They are in a superposition of states. Have you even heard of quantum computing? It’s something we’re very excited about, it’s basically done just needs a bit more polish.”

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Toops posted:

I am. This will affect my day job and is already being discussed by product.

https://twitter.com/theregister/status/948342806367518720

Well all you have to do is get around 20-30% more processing hardware to counteract the effects :downs:

Baldness
Dec 1, 2017

quote:

You will find plenty of those in every large corporation and plenty of small ones too.

Promoted well beyond their capabilities sucking the life out of talented people.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Toops posted:

I am. This will affect my day job and is already being discussed by product.

https://twitter.com/theregister/status/948342806367518720

Wait for the hysteria to settle down a little but this does appear to be a somewhat big deal for enterprise workloads. The cloud computing operators are greatly concerned. Somewhat interesting is the fact it affects around 10 years of their processors. Of course any iron right now hosting virtual servers won't be running a Core Duo. Except maybe in Serbia.

We can look back at the FDIV bug and the TLB Phenom AMD one and think not a big deal. Difference is it was a whole 'nother world back then on how things were handled versus today.

Intel is also facing a ton of scrutiny from their ME fiasco. In IT the pendulum swings. No matter the tech or what is fashionable it will always swing back the other way.

Since Star Citizen exists in the cloud, it could bring frame rates from 9 to 5. :ohdear: Christ, the FPS of Star Citizen is based on banker's hours.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

SelenicMartian posted:

Have any SC-related gifs of Eraserhead been made yet?

On Spectrum
Everything is fine
On Spectrum
Everything is fine
You've got your jpegs
And I've got mine

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/aMU879y.gifv

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So what time does CIG have until they're proper hosed?

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.
5pm pacific

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Close of business in California I believe. So now about 6-7 hours.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

Movie would fit well.

Ortwin climbing through the sewer to escape.
Sandi as the corrupt warden.
Pick any mod @ RSI for chief guard.
Lesnick as Brooks. Tries to hang himself in halfway house, house collapses.

And all of the inevitable consequence doing laundry with the Sisters.

It might work better if the corrupt warden is jester86 with his alt account dealing in ships.
Any footage of Sandi should be left on the cutting room floor.

SelenicMartian posted:

Have any SC-related gifs of Eraserhead been made yet?

Are you saying Croberts's quirk would be slowing any real game development to a crawl just by looking at it?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The universe actually being a giant simulation and breaking down due to a giant intergalactic bug would be a hilarious event chain.

Boom. Headshot.

So, the Vultaum Star Assembly was right after all?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

GW's new minis are pretty mean...

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Toops posted:

Chris: “Your honor, Squadron 42 is both a separate game we can sell and also just a game mode. Furthermore, we switched engines to Lumberyard but also kept using CryEngine so we don’t violate GLA.”
Judge: “How can that possibly be?”
Chris: “No one has seen the game yet. They are in a superposition of states. Have you even heard of quantum computing? It’s something we’re very excited about, it’s basically done just needs a bit more polish.”

Great, it's Schrödinger's game all over again

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Xaerael posted:

That's not fair. The real Ben's head isn't set that low. Also, the pilgrim pendant is more of a letter opener than a sword.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Bofast posted:

Great, it's Schrödinger's game all over again

Jokes on you, the cat clips out of the box.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
572. d. awarding punitive damages in an amount to be determined at trial;

How much?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Well all you have to do is get around 20-30% more processing hardware to counteract the effects :downs:

Or move to an AMD platform.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Wait for the hysteria to settle down a little but this does appear to be a somewhat big deal for enterprise workloads.

I don't want to give the impression that we're not taking this seriously, it's just there's a lot of hysteria around an embargoed bug. And we're in stock price manipulation territory.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Orions Lord posted:

572. d. awarding punitive damages in an amount to be determined at trial;

How much?
Punitive above its own weight.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Hav posted:

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Combat Theory posted:

Not to be "the real Scotsman" but if you unironically jump on the Dusty Lens is an alt bandwagon you deserve to read all of Dereks blog twice as a punishment and all the pages of the original Cutlass thread on the rsi forums for educational purposes.

Some way said thrice!

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Hav posted:

I went to a seminar a few years ago. I can't remember what university they were from, but it was some people who had been working closely with AMD on 3D integration in their chips. They were obviously really proud of their work, but very sad that the AMD chips had turned out slightly slower that the intel ones. I don't know if this has anything to do with why the intel chips were better, but I really hope that guy feels a little better now.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Xaerael posted:

I was so close to getting my drink up my nose and all over my monitor when I scrolled down to that :five:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

Since Star Citizen exists in the cloud, it could bring frame rates from 9 to 5. :ohdear: Christ, the FPS of Star Citizen is based on banker's hours.

I never thought I would turn the lyrics of a Dolly Parton song into something about an Intel bug and Star Citizen, but here we are :shrug:

Flushing out the cache and I stumble to the kernel
Pour myself a cup of speculation
Branch, pre-fetch and try to get ahead
Jump address spaces and the time starts tickin'
Out in the verse, performance keeps droppin'
With chips like me on the job from 9 to 5

Frames go 9 to 5, what a way to kill my livin'
Barely gettin' by, it's all takin' and no givin'
They confuse your mind and no longer take store credit
It's enough to make you refund if you let it
9 to 5, no service or devotion
You would think Sandi would deserve a fat demotion
Want to make it right but that Chris won't seem to let me
I swear sometimes that man knows nothing 'bout me!

They sell you dreams just to watch 'em shatter
You're just a step on the Croberts's ladder
Now you got dreams he dare not take away
You're in the wankpod with a lotta your friends
Waitin' for the day your ship'll come in
An' the tide's gonna turn and it's all gonna roll your way

Frames drop 9 to 5, such an awful way of livin'
Barely clippin' by, it's all sellin' and no shippin'
They abuse your mind and no longer take store credit
It's enough to make you refund if you let it
9 to 5, yeah they got you where they want you
There's a better life, and you dream about it, don't you?
It's a losin' game no matter what they call it
And you spend your life puttin' money in his wallet

9 to 5, whoa what a way to make a livin'
Parpmen floatin' by, it's all selling' and no shippin'
Free your broken mind and refund all your store credit
It's already made you crazy 'cause you let it
9 to 5, yeah Chris's got you where he wants you
There's a better life, and you dream about it, don't you?
There is no real game no matter what they call it
And you spend your life puttin' money in his wallet

9 to 5, funding 9 to 5

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

Colostomy Bag posted:

Jokes on you, the cat clips out of the box.

The cat jitters so hard it's both inside and outside the box simultaneously.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
Charlie Hall has some breaking news abouut the videogame star citizen

https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/3/16845616/star-citizen-versus-kickstarter-money-raised

quote:

Star Citizen raised more money than every other video game on Kickstarter combined in 2017 - By a factor of two, and for the second year in a row

For the second year in a row, the team working on Star Citizen say they’ve raised more money than every other video game on Kickstarter combined. The numbers, which are self-reported and do not include returns, aren’t even close.

Chris Roberts’ collection of spacefaring games raised $34.91 million in 2017, down slightly from $36.11 million in 2016. Meanwhile, successful Kickstarters for video games overall remained relatively flat in 2017, with $17.25 million raised, down from around $17.6 million the year before.

That means the Star Citizen project has raised more than double the amount of every other game project on Kickstarter — more than 700 in all — for two years in a row.

This data is based on information provided to Polygon by both Kickstarter and the teams at Roberts Space Industries (RSI) and Cloud Imperium Games (CIG).

However, the data set is complicated by several significant factors. First, CIG/RSI refused to report how much money they’ve returned to backers. Several significant returns are currently being contested, including one in excess of $25,000. It’s therefore impossible to know how large a proportion of its funding CIG/RSI have been forced to refund.

Additionally, Kickstarter said that of all the money pledged to video game projects in 2016, 85 to 88 percent of it went to successful campaigns. We've gone with the higher numbers for our calculations.

We’ve reached out to CIG/RSI for comment.

The Star Citizen project, which includes a single-player game called Squadron 42 and a multiplayer game referred to as the “persistent universe,” is incomplete and currently has no release date.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

He doesn't seem aware that SQ42 is a separate product. Funny that.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Bofast posted:

It might work better if the corrupt warden is jester86 with his alt account dealing in ships.
Any footage of Sandi should be left on the cutting room floor.

Maybe you are right. Imagine getting an apple pie with a few jpegs tossed in to secure the contract.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

The fact that he now has to add a paragraph in every article about how "Also there's people demanding huge amounts of money back" is both hilarious and something of a personal victory to me.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

They act like Crytek hired a lawyer that advertises on cable late at night.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

This was a good video.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Did you have a slip and fall injury, a car accident or did a hack game developer steal your ip and breach a contract? Call 1-877-LAW-DUDE now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

It would be cool if they reanimate Robert Vaughn from Glasser & Ebbs along with Ortwin in some sort of undead/vampire dream team of legal defense.