Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I want to see benchmarks. Remember how slow the Intels were at running PowerPC apps with Rosetta

I do remember, but I'm hoping they've improved the state of the art, or the speed will be 'good enough'. CPUs are a lot faster now, but lightweight applications are still lightweight applications. You wouldn't want to do serious computation through a translation layer, but you wouldn't want to do serious computation on a mobile-first device either.

I'm thinking for example, MBP stays x86 as a desktop replacement, MB runs ARM with x86 translation for compatibility. The fewer x86 applications you run, the faster and more battery-friendly your experience.

I'm just thinking out loud. Microsoft does a good job with research most of the time, so hopefully they find something that works. Photoshop being demonstrated being not-too-laggy is a good sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I'm wondering how well stuff that's targeted directly at the SIMD stuff (and worse, uses the ATI/NVIDIA GPU's) that can't be re-compiled for whatever reasons

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

ARM has optional SIMD extensions no?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pivo posted:

ARM has optional SIMD extensions no?

yes, but I wasn't sure how much of it maps 1:1 to the intel instructions

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I doubt anything maps 1:1 but architecture folks are wizards

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe
I just finished installing a second SSD into my 2013 27" iMac. I was almost ready order the SATA/Power cable from hong kong and wait 30 days but I found I Fix Mac Computers and even though their website seemed pretty scammy with all the god references ( http://www.ifixmaccomputers.com/about-us-ifix-mac-momputers) I can attest that they are for real.

Just be prepared for poor english grammar and Jesus fish/ power by GOD listed on everything :v:

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Do people commonly have admin accounts but use a separate user account on personal computers? Hadn’t considered it but was recently suggested to me

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

GoldfishStew posted:

Do people commonly have admin accounts but use a separate user account on personal computers? Hadn’t considered it but was recently suggested to me

You should...but most people don't.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Ok is this something I can start doing now? I’m a little dumb sometimes. Like if I set up a new user account under my admin account will I have to set up a bunch of new stuff and like add safari plugins and download apps and poo poo for that user that are already on my admin user?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

GoldfishStew posted:

I’ve heard of it enough that I’d say it’s a common suggestion but I have no clue how common it actually is in practice. I don’t do it myself, maybe cause the annoyance of a whole new setup and recustomizing everything (I think it’s something I'm more willing to try on new machines I guess), or cause the last time I tried it some stuff annoyed me.

Related question, does macOS have something like Windows' "run as administrator" for GUI apps? Like a terminal command or something I assume since I don’t remember ever seeing a way to do it in the GUI itself.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Why in the world would you do that? Your Administrator account isn't elevated by default, you have to enter your password as if you were a user account on the sudoer list. If you want to pretend like you are not an admin, never enter your password after you log in.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Right click and Open is semi like that, as it’ll override things like gatekeeper.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

japtor posted:

Related question, does macOS have something like Windows' "run as administrator" for GUI apps? Like a terminal command or something I assume since I don’t remember ever seeing a way to do it in the GUI itself.

like this

code:
$ sudo "/Applications/Sublime Text.app/Contents/MacOS/Sublime Text"
you just have to find the binary in the .app

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

Pivo posted:

Why in the world would you do that? Your Administrator account isn't elevated by default, you have to enter your password as if you were a user account on the sudoer list. If you want to pretend like you are not an admin, never enter your password after you log in.

I’ve had it suggested multiple times and Apple suggests it on their site for security purposes

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

GoldfishStew posted:

I’ve had it suggested multiple times and Apple suggests it on their site for security purposes
It could be for security, if you create a standard user (you'll be using the admin account to make any changes, install anything etc.) I would think that's a bit of a pain and not very useful since as Pivo said you need to elevate and supply credentials to any system changes in MacOS anyway.

For me, the reason to have another account is if you ever want a 'vanilla' account—if you run into an issue or somehow corrupt your user profile. That's not usually an issue, but if you are an 'under-the-hood' user, you may be changing your UID, or shell acount or messing with POSIX things. Having another account is like having another way to get into your house if the key to the front door breaks off in the lock and you can't get in. If you have an issue with your default profile, you can test it against the other profile and perhaps obviate the need to re-install the OS.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

So, I guess that Intel CPU bug is going to be hitting us too
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/
No word from Apple about a patch yet, but no doubt one's coming. We didn't even have the opportunity to use AMD :/

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Djimi posted:

you need to elevate and supply credentials to any system changes in MacOS anyway.

I don't think this happens as frequently as most people imagine.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Pivo posted:

No word from Apple about a patch yet, but no doubt one's coming. We didn't even have the opportunity to use AMD :/
The patch can slow computers down by 30%...wow...shouldn't this be big news everywhere?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Housh posted:

The patch can slow computers down by 30%...wow...shouldn't this be big news everywhere?

Well, it's big news among tech people, and it's really big news to anyone who operates cloud infrastructure.

The reality is that most consumer workloads are not maxing out the CPU with syscall heavy tasks like lots of random DB reads, and no one benchmarks 'du -s' at home for shits and giggles. It won't really affect gaming or rendering or productivity or anything that isn't massively syscall heavy, and PCID on more modern chips (4th gen forward I think) can reduce the overhead by avoiding TLB flushes. Current synthetic benchmarks of the Linux KPTI/FUCKWIT patch put the impact at anywhere from 5 to 50% and I personally only heard about this late last night and I try to keep on top of stuff like this so ---- it'll get there. We don't really know what the real world impact is going to be.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Housh posted:

You just read it in the news didn’t you?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

FCKGW posted:

You just read it in the news didn’t you?
Nope. Read it in a British tech blog that was posted on an Awful forum.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

LionArcher posted:

That is, no joke, what I’m going to do this spring. Drop 2 grand on a 2015, and wait till the next fixed model.

Is there any reason at all to think that Apple will ever make another "fixed" MBP?

I have a mid-2014 that's been incredible for three years of 10+ hour daily use. Next year I plan on buying a new 2015 model. I imagine it will be my last Mac laptop and I'm pretty sad about it.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
So where are you guys gonna go from here? I loved macs because of their design, never been a big fan of OS X altho it's usable I guess.

I just wish more software was linux compatible. Can't really migrate over to linux when half of the stuff I use my computer for won't work on it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

the black husserl posted:

I have a mid-2014 that's been incredible for three years of 10+ hour daily use. Next year I plan on buying a new 2015 model. I imagine it will be my last Mac laptop and I'm pretty sad about it.

I could theoretically live with a 2011 MacBook Pro as a daily driver today

So I won't worry about it for 5-6 more years

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Dyna Soar posted:

So where are you guys gonna go from here? I loved macs because of their design, never been a big fan of OS X altho it's usable I guess.

I just wish more software was linux compatible. Can't really migrate over to linux when half of the stuff I use my computer for won't work on it.
I don't think I'll ever go back to an iMac as a desktop. Windows 10 is fine. I think I would've been happier with a nice portable MacBook and a powerful Windows 10 desktop computer instead of my current setup of 15" tbmbp and a mid range Win 10 desktop. We'll see what happens in a few years.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Dyna Soar posted:

I just wish more software was linux compatible. Can't really migrate over to linux when half of the stuff I use my computer for won't work on it..

I looked pretty long at the Dell XPS 13 and some of the ThinkPads when I was getting my 2016 mbp. Superior battery life and less concerns about screen/build quality kept me on the Mac.

I do backend web app stuff so most everything I rely on is open source & cross platform and I know linux/freebsd as a server pretty well. I've had Fedora Workstation installed in a VM to get a feel for using it as a desktop. The one sticking point on the software side is 1Password. I use the old localvaults at home and we use 1P For Teams at work heavily. They've only recently begun to address this with a CLI tool and completely browser based app but it so far it requires the subscription service (not a dealbreaker but something I'm delaying as long as I can), and it's Chrome-only (absolutely a dealbreaker)

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.
I have been away from macs for several years and would like a sanity check. I have a late 2011 15 inch MacBook Pro that has been sitting around, and I am thinking about bringing it back out of its hibernation. I had a lot of slowdown issues in it that made it nearly unusable back when I stopped using it, and I never investigated them, but I just updated to High Sierra after turning it back on, which seems to have fixed the problem, whatever it was.

Any reason this can’t be a workhorse today? I imagine battery life won’t be what I expect on a new laptop, but I don’t need it to. It has a 2.5ghz chip (i7-2860QM), which benchmarks competitively to today’s chips. If I go from 4gb of ram to 8? 16? And replace the hard drive with an SSD (or replace the dvd with an SSD, seems like an option), then am I missing anything where this should still work like a champ for several years?

I haven’t kept up with OSX changes, so I would hate to spend the money and realize then that I am missing a bunch of modern features that are the best parts of MacOS. Best I can tell, now Thunderbolt 3 is a big thing, but i don’t have new peripherals, and the new SSD file system, which getting an SSD installed should take care of. I don’t really have a used case for the computer or spending the money, and it looks like about $300 for 16gb of ram and a 500gb SSD, or about $190 for 8gb/ 256gb SSD. Maybe use it to do editing of my iCloud photos, but I have Lightroom on my PC, so that’s not really necessary. I might be better off selling the laptop and buying a newer model to be a toy spare Mac, or just putting it back in the drawer. If I were to go through with the refresh though, anything I’m missing? Thanks!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Tewdrig posted:

I have been away from macs for several years and would like a sanity check. I have a late 2011 15 inch MacBook Pro that has been sitting around

Any reason this can’t be a workhorse today? I imagine battery life won’t be what I expect on a new laptop, but I don’t need it to. It has a 2.5ghz chip (i7-2860QM), which benchmarks competitively to today’s chips. If I go from 4gb of ram to 8? 16? And replace the hard drive with an SSD (or replace the dvd with an SSD, seems like an option), then am I missing anything where this should still work like a champ for several years?

8GB/SSD will bring it to life until the graphics card fails and then you're left with a doorstop

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tewdrig posted:

IMO if you do this then yes it should still run like a champ.

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.

Bob Morales posted:

8GB/SSD will bring it to life until the graphics card fails and then you're left with a doorstop

Oh, right, I got the logic board replaced (maybe twice?) when it was under warranty because the graphics screwed up. One of the reasons I got away from using it. Probably going to die again with actual use, or with a replacement might I be good?

Edit: looks like Apple repaired it in 2014 and again in 2015 due to graphics screwups.

Tewdrig fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 3, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pivo posted:

10.13.2 is unaffected by this issue. Ionescu is a pretty legit source, too.

https://twitter.com/aionescu/status/948609809540046849

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pivo posted:

Well, it's big news among tech people, and it's really big news to anyone who operates cloud infrastructure.

The reality is that most consumer workloads are not maxing out the CPU with syscall heavy tasks like lots of random DB reads, and no one benchmarks 'du -s' at home for shits and giggles. It won't really affect gaming or rendering or productivity or anything that isn't massively syscall heavy, and PCID on more modern chips (4th gen forward I think) can reduce the overhead by avoiding TLB flushes. Current synthetic benchmarks of the Linux KPTI/FUCKWIT patch put the impact at anywhere from 5 to 50% and I personally only heard about this late last night and I try to keep on top of stuff like this so ---- it'll get there. We don't really know what the real world impact is going to be.

Gaming devices will be impacted by using a KAISER variant to mitigate, any driver call still uses syscalI() to one degree or another. It doesn't matter since KAISER doesn't address either Spectre exploit, just Meltdown. To me the Spectre exploits are more devastation since those appear to be an issue related to CPU architecture in general. Intel, AMD and ARM vulnerable to Spectre.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Oh, they even have names now. A lot happens in 12 hours.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pivo posted:

Oh, they even have names now. A lot happens in 12 hours.

They have branded loving BADGES. This "cute name for an exploit" wore out it's welcome around the time of Heartbleed. Everyone in the infosec community claims to hate this trend, but then they end up branding their own research when they find something big. It's a huge joke.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Isn’t the OSX fix only applicable to Meltdown? I’m pretty sure OSX is still affected by Spectre also.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Yeah spectre will take a lot longer to sort out.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Dyna Soar posted:

why would you use windows or linux if you aren't literally getting paid to use them

Housh posted:

just heard it on the 6 o clock bbc radio news so it's getting some traction. realistically it's not going to top the headlines since the average person cares about computer security about as much as they understand it

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 4, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SourKraut posted:

Isn’t the OSX fix only applicable to Meltdown? I’m pretty sure OSX is still affected by Spectre also.

I haven't really looked into any new info yet today, since I was up all night doing a breakdown of this for management at work. Double Map explicitly protects against meltdown.

Spectre is different since it leverages exiting user mode programs to do the lifting and targets user memspace. It's going to require patches for the actual programs that can be leveraged (hopefully before, but likely after a program is discovered to be vulnerable to exploitation).

quote:

Meltdown breaks the mechanism that keeps applications from accessing arbitrary system memory. Consequently, applications can access system memory. Spectre tricks other applications into accessing arbitrary locations in their memory. Both attacks use side channels to obtain the information from the accessed memory location.

Personally to me Spectre is worse, because it can be leveraged to reveal sensitive information like passwords or other private data in the user's memspace.

from the Spectre white-paper:

quote:

We created a simple victim program that contains secret data within its memory access space. Next, after compiling the victim program we searched the resulting binary and the operating sys- tem’s shared libraries for instruction sequences that can be used to leak information from the victim’s address space. Finally, we wrote an attacker program that exploits the CPU’s speculative execution feature in order to execute the previously-found sequences as transient instructions. Using this technique we were able to read the entire victim’s memory address space, including the secrets stored within it.

I mean the ultimate fix for this is a change to CPU architecture, which can take years.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Haven't kept up with Apple hardware for years, any reason I shouldn't get a 12" Macbook? Used to use a 12" ibook then the smallest macbook air so the size should be fine for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

African AIDS cum posted:

Haven't kept up with Apple hardware for years, any reason I shouldn't get a 12" Macbook? Used to use a 12" ibook then the smallest macbook air so the size should be fine for me

if you're not going to be doing really hardware-intensive stuff (aaa gaming, video editing, compiling programming stuff etc) and understand the limitations of having one port it's a great device