Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Disrespectful towards Christ and His followers, the most persecuted of all. Justine Trudope! Looks just like his father, Fidel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

Arivia posted:

The War of 420

This comment deserves recognition :golfclap:

Segue
May 23, 2007

Joshua Boyle, the Canadian hostage who spent years with his family imprisoned by the Haqqani network, has been arrested for some horrible things that he apparently did immediately after coming back.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...-in-ottawa.html

quote:

Joshua Boyle...was arrested and charged with assault, unlawful confinement and other offences that are alleged to have occurred...in Ottawa between Oct. 14 and Dec. 30
Boyle, his wife Caitlan and their three children — all of whom were born in captivity — returned to Canada on Oct. 13

Police aren't releasing any victim information but it's probably safe to assume it's domestic in nature.

When they were first returned I hoped that they'd be able to overcome a lot of the trauma and it was a sort of bittersweet story last year. Now it's just awful on awful.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Omar Khadr's sister's ex husband sure seems a bit messed up.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Segue posted:

Joshua Boyle, the Canadian hostage who spent years with his family imprisoned by the Haqqani network, has been arrested for some horrible things that he apparently did immediately after coming back.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...-in-ottawa.html

Police aren't releasing any victim information but it's probably safe to assume it's domestic in nature.

When they were first returned I hoped that they'd be able to overcome a lot of the trauma and it was a sort of bittersweet story last year. Now it's just awful on awful.

quote:

“Obviously, he is responsible for his own actions,” she wrote, “but it is with compassion and forgiveness that I say I hope help and healing can be found for him. As to the rest of us, myself and the children, we are healthy and holding up as well as we can.”

It's some sad poo poo.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Omar Khadr's sister's ex husband sure seems a bit messed up.

Have we truly vetted Omar Khadr's cousin's dog groomer's sister's gym teacher?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Hopefully there aren't any incriminating photos of Joshua Boyle and the Prime Minis--

https://twitter.com/BoylesVsWorld/status/943112626522931200

Oops.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Already got my vote for Scheer ready to go!!!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Leofish posted:

Hopefully there aren't any incriminating photos of Joshua Boyle and the Prime Minis--

Oops.

Man who was rescued from foreign shithole meets head of government, film at 11

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

Man who was rescued from foreign shithole meets head of government, film at 11

Wait he's from Peterborough?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Stupid Conservative fuckface Candice Bergen's existence is disrespectful toward excellent and talented actress Candice Bergen -- a much more significant issue than Trudeau's sweater.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
As a big fan of Murphy Brown, this has all been deeply confusing for me.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

infernal machines posted:

As a big fan of Murphy Brown, this has all been deeply confusing for me.

Oh good, I'm not the only one who thought that.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
No Boston Legal fans in here? For shame!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

PT6A posted:

Stupid Conservative fuckface Candice Bergen's existence is disrespectful toward excellent and talented actress Candice Bergen -- a much more significant issue than Trudeau's sweater.

Two women who became famous cause an old white guy stuck his hand up a wooden rear end in a top hat and made it talk.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PT6A posted:

No Boston Legal fans in here? For shame!

Yes, but only for Patrick McKenna

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

flakeloaf posted:

Two women who became famous cause an old white guy stuck his hand up a wooden rear end in a top hat and made it talk.

:getout:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

You first, Charlie McCarthy was hilarious.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Leofish posted:

Oops.

Let's square this circle and assume that the 2006 "other common interests, haha" were weed.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
WTF is the story with the boyle family? Mulitple kids born in captivity, wtf, how does that happen without either the captors or the couple being seriously hosed up?

Grammar-Bolshevik
Oct 12, 2017

DariusLikewise posted:

Yeah keep riding the wave, stocks never go down in price.

when your buy in was 2.80 for cgc.to shares yeah your investment probably wont go down.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

vyelkin posted:

Let's square this circle and assume that the 2006 "other common interests, haha" were weed.

No, don't you see, the common interests were :siren: SHARIA LAW :siren:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I thought it was marrying a terrorist.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Entropic posted:

WTF is the story with the boyle family? Mulitple kids born in captivity, wtf, how does that happen without either the captors or the couple being seriously hosed up?

Ever see the show Homeland?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Entropic posted:

The guy's a wierdo. Some sort of really out-there missionary. And yeah he was briefly married to Omar Kadr's sister, which is also odd.

I bet he was watched like a hawk on coming back from Canada, which may have led to these charges.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Albino Squirrel posted:

https://twitter.com/CandiceBergenMP/status/947211408743088128

https://twitter.com/CandiceBergenMP/status/947312860111110144

(both Justin Trudeau and his brother Alexandre were born on Christmas Day, which probably explains the 'happy birthday' sweaters)

And Candice Bergen is a lovely Harperite MP representing rural Manitoba so that explains that part.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I still do a double take every time she pops up in the news for saying something dumb and I have that moment of wondering why Murphy Brown is dabbling in Canadian politics.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/LukewSavage/status/948622144094613504

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

A bold move, pissing off people in a store known for greasy food and large quantities of flammable paper cups.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Tim Hortons is the worst, most exploitative fast food restaurant and no one should go there. They abused the temporary foreign workers and will gently caress employees over every chance they get. Franchise owners are the equivalent of rent seeking slumlords who treat their businesses as ATMs.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

How much does it cost to become a franchise owner

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

littleorv posted:

How much does it cost to become a franchise owner

You need $1.5m net worth and $500k liquid assets.

e: The franchise license is $480k-$510k. That doesn't include the building or property or anything.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Am I wrong for thinking more Canadians have a bigger problem with the switch to tasteless, parbaked inedible dough ball than with the idea that a twenty something from away won't get a paid break to take her mind off the awful conditions in the restaurant manager's basement where she hot-beds with the guy who works nights?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

I like how they spell out getting paid for bereavement is a benefit and not a right granted by the ESA for Ontario

quote:

Eligibility for personal emergency leave pay
An employee who has been employed for at least a week with an employer is entitled to be paid for the first two days of personal emergency leave taken in a calendar year.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Burlington, ON steps up to the plate

https://twitter.com/hitch_cocky/status/948650879426719749

e: What is it with self-identified Habs fans being complete poo poo stains? That thread has a couple.

Risky Bisquick posted:

I like how they spell out getting paid for bereavement is a benefit and not a right granted by the ESA for Ontario

You'll note they classified it as an "incentive"

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 3, 2018

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Only the biggest and fastest truck equity will do.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/reviews/new-cars/an-inside-look-at-truck-culture-and-fords-supersizedmegaraptor/article37429371/

quote:

It gained notoriety after taking the car blogs by storm earlier this year. It is a machine for those who think Ford's fastest, most ridiculous truck – the F-150 Raptor, which looks like it escaped from the Baja 1000 off-road race – is simply not enough. The MegaRaptor looks like a regular Raptor with 'roid rage. It's Dwayne Johnson versus Vin Diesel. Both are huge. One is huger.

quote:

It includes military-grade MRAP wheels meant to withstand an explosion, 46-inch tires, new suspension and chassis components that raise the truck by 4 1/2 or 5 inches, a 5-inch wide exhaust and a 4.88 gear set for the rear differential, plus many more add-ons that will be meaningless to those not fluent in truck-speak.

quote:

Opening the door to the MegaRaptor, the first problem is obvious. The bottom of the seat is at eye-level. There is no step-stool or ladder that flips down to make getting in look cool and effortless. Climbing up involves some grunting. Once inside you can see clearly over the tops of all SUVs. Nothing directly in front of it is visible, thanks to the huge, wide hood.

A single lane suddenly feels too narrow.

https://twitter.com/Byclemore/status/948656186437455872

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Tim Hortons is poo poo

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-canada-lumber-usa/canada-criticizes-u-s-softwood-lumber-duties-vows-to-resist-idUSKBN1ES197

quote:

WINNIPEG, Manitoba (Reuters) - The Canadian government on Wednesday criticized the United States for a decision to impose duties on certain softwood lumber exports and underlined its determination to fight the move.

The duties, which went into effect on Wednesday, are “unfair, unwarranted and troubling,” Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland said in a statement.

Ottawa has already launched challenges against the duties - which range from about 10 percent to nearly 24 percent, below a preliminary range of about 17 percent to 31 percent - with the World Trade Organization (WTO) and through the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).

“The government of Canada will continue to vigorously defend our industry and its workers against protectionist trade practices,” Freeland said.

The U.S. Commerce Department’s decision imposes anti-dumping and anti-subsidy duties affecting about $5.66 billion worth of lumber and comes amid increasingly acrimonious talks on renegotiating NAFTA, the trilateral trade pact between the United States, Canada and Mexico.

U.S. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said he had every confidence the administration of President Donald Trump would win the trade challenges Canada has launched.

“(We) will continue to stand up against unfair trade practices that harm American workers and businesses. Even our closest allies must follow the rules,” he said in a statement.

The Commerce Department accuses Canada of unfairly subsidizing and dumping softwood lumber, which is commonly used in the construction of homes. Canada denies it is dumping the lumber.

U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer expressed confidence that the Commerce Department and the International Trade Commission closely followed U.S. law and that their actions were consistent with the country’s WTO obligations.

”We will of course defend this case and expect to prevail,” Lighthizer said.

Some of the main affected Canadian firms are West Fraser Timber Co Ltd, Canfor Corp, Conifex Timber Inc, Western Forest Products Inc, Interfor Corp and Resolute FP Canada Ltd. Shares in the firms were little changed on Wednesday.

The decision to impose tariffs followed failed talks to end the decades-long dispute between the two countries. The row centers on the fees paid by Canadian lumber mills for timber cut largely from government-owned land. Those fees are lower than fees paid on U.S. timber, which comes largely from private land.

Joe Patton, U.S. Lumber Coalition Co‐Chair and Vice President of Wood Products at The Westervelt Company, defended the U.S. move on Wednesday.

“These duties are a fair enforcement of U.S. trade law. For decades, the Canadian government has abused the law and provided massive subsidies to its lumber industry, harming U.S. producers and workers,” he said.

The Lumber Trade Council of British Columbia, a province with a significant forestry industry, said last month it was confident the decision would be overturned, calling it “completely without merit.”

Around 33 percent of the lumber used in the United States in 2016 was imported, with more than 95 percent coming from Canada, according to the U.S. National Association of Homebuilders.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Tims made only 100 million in profit last year? That seems super low. Is that just for the corporation and doesn't include the franchisees takehome?

I do love all the facebook anger I've seen over the $14 hr minimum wage as somehow its stealing from regular working people. They can't seem to get it through their heads the only way Walmart or Tims can pay people 10.25 and they survive is because government programs make up the extra 5 dollars an hour they need. Why are we letting this big corporations underpay people so its covered by the taxes of working folk?

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009
yeah wish there was a list of every business owner that made a bloo bloo noises about the minimum wage increase so i'd know to avoid their business the same way i avoid anyone displaying one of these stickers

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

patonthebach posted:

Tims made only 100 million in profit last year? That seems super low. Is that just for the corporation and doesn't include the franchisees takehome?

I do love all the facebook anger I've seen over the $14 hr minimum wage as somehow its stealing from regular working people. They can't seem to get it through their heads the only way Walmart or Tims can pay people 10.25 and they survive is because government programs make up the extra 5 dollars an hour they need. Why are we letting this big corporations underpay people so its covered by the taxes of working folk?

Raising the price of labour for front-line workers will increase the costs faced by more affluent Canadians without putting any upward pressure on their own incomes. I doubt that any reduction in government taxes would be enough to compensate for this.

It's uncomfortable to recognize this but affluent Canadians live well at the expense of working class Canadians and the people who oppose increasing the minimum wage are expressing their class interest. I know it is tempting to think right-wing ideology is just an expression of parochial stupidity but there's actually a lot of calculated self interest behind suppressing wages for people on the bottom.

The great Canadian dream that we could redistribute wealth but leave everyone better off than before isn't realistic. If we ever were to actually redistribute wealth in this country it would hurt a lot more people than just the CEOs and senior managers of big corporations.